Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Are you currently invested with Vanguard Life Strategy

Yes

47.02% • 347 votes

No

15.72% • 116 votes

No, but I would like to at some point

30.89% • 228 votes

There are better options than Vanguard

6.37% • 47 votes

You may not vote on this poll

738 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Carpi09
    • By Carpi09 15th Jan 13, 6:37 PM
    • 294Posts
    • 267Thanks
    Carpi09
    Vanguard Life Strategy
    • 15th Jan 13, 6:37 PM
    Vanguard Life Strategy 15th Jan 13 at 6:37 PM
    Hello all,

This thread was created to talk about the Vanguard Life Strategy fund which includes the 20/40/60/80 & 100. Please tell us what you think about the VLS and how you believe it would act as a core within a portfolio.

Please be aware that investments can go up as well as down so unless you are planning to invest for several years, I don't recommend investing with S&S. From what I know and have researched the ideal time scales each of the LS funds are as follows:

20: 3-5 years +
    40: 5 years +
    60: 5 years +
    80: 5-8 years +
    100: 10 years +

These may well not be accurate and are a rough guide. Please be aware, if you are close to retirement or thinking about closing a fund, think about your risk attitude and what you can do in order to lessen the chance of a great fall.

You can also suggest other funds outside Vanguard that would work well with the VLS in order to evaluate the balance of the portfolio.

About me, Im 23 and planning early for my future. I intend to hold this fund for 20 years plus so fluctuations are bound to happen. Heavy drops will not effect me because i know values fall aswell as rise. I dont want to fall in to the trap that most people do which is to buy high and sell low because they panic.

Currently I hold the Vanguard Life Strategy 80% with Hargreaves Lansdown and plan to put 50% of the ISA allowance into it each year. The other 50% will be put into a Cash ISA because I am saving up for a house deposit. Come April, I will be looking at adding other funds because I want more than just a passive approach and while I am still young, I would like to take the risk for greater gains.

From all the research I have done, the VLS fund is perfect for a beginner because it does everything for you. Depending how the market is doing, it does the rebalancing for you. Having researched for around a month now and taking opinions from people on this board, I believe I have developed knowledge allowing me to move on a little and look for other funds to support the VLS fund. I still believe I am a beginner and will not rush into anything without researching and planning first.

Please comment, suggest, discuss this fund and what experience you have had this far. Hopefully this thread will give confidence to people who were in the position I was, brand new to S&S and not a clue what anything meant. Taking the time to do a little research will not only improve confidence but improve knowledge too!

I am sure there are plenty of books to read but one I have read recently is by Tim Hale called Smarter Investing. It is a great read and gives you all the information you need to start investing.

Good luck!

This opening post has been edited to give a tad more information and why this thread was created. All replies from other members from the start has been fantastic so thank you.

MSE Insert:

If you're new to saving for retirement read our Pension need-to-knows
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-01-2016 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Improve opening post.
Page 82
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 20th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    My two children have S&S JISA with Vanguard, if I set up a S&S ISA in my own name would this be ideal if I only paid into it 100 month? Looking to stay 10 years at least until first child ready to go Uni if she does.
    Originally posted by louloubelle79
    Assuming that the funds offered by Vanguard meet your needs and risk profile then yes.
    • Nanpy
    • By Nanpy 23rd Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Nanpy
    Little bump to the thread to confirm something for me. I've been invested in VLS60 with Hargreaves Lansdown for about seven years. Haven't really been paying much attention to my investments for the past couple of years but I see from earlier messages than you can invest direct now.

Is investing direct with Vanguard Group the cheapest option? Can I "transfer" out of my S&S HG fund (not ISA) to VG without having to sell up and crystallise a capital gains liability?

Thanks in advance.
    • firestone
    • By firestone 23rd Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    firestone
    it would be a cheaper platform fee 0.15% up to 250000 and they only accept their own funds/cash i believe.If you look at the transfer page on their site it does say that some providers for a general account may ask you to cash out & could have CGT implications so guess you need to check with HL or do more digging
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 23rd Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Lungboy
    In a similar vein, I want to open a SIPP holding Vanguard products. I know Vanguard don't currently offer a SIPP but apparently there's one coming, so could I open one with (say) Cavendish, then simply move the funds across to Vanguard when their SIPP opens?
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 23rd Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Yes, if you are selling non ISA funds there may be a CGT liability.
    Yes, fine to transfer SIPPs over, just check for any transfer out costs.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 23rd Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    It depends on the value of your investment (and how often you trade). On larger sums with little trading a flat fee platform like iWeb could be cheaper.
    • Nanpy
    • By Nanpy 23rd Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Nanpy
    Thanks ValiantSon and firestone!
    • Alistair31
    • By Alistair31 9th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Alistair31
    Is it just me or does this thread keep getting bumped up without any new posts ? Weird.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 9th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Vortigern
    Is it just me or does this thread keep getting bumped up without any new posts ? Weird.
    Originally posted by Alistair31
    It gets bumped every time somebody votes on the poll. The poll is now hopelessly out-of-date; many would like/need to change their votes, but can't.

The poll, and if necessary the whole thread, should be closed.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 9th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    IanManc
    The poll, and if necessary the whole thread, should be closed.
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    I wish I could thank this more than once ....... in the hope that someone notices and does it.

• bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 10th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 7,695 Posts
    • 14,075 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    You could always PM the thread starter and ask if they can close the poll so that nobody else can vote on it. Then it wouldn't keep getting bumped when people do.

Grumbling within the thread isn't going to be seen by anyone who's in a position to do anything about it.

Across the thread as a whole there are some good points made (though plenty of repetition) - but if someone wanted to know what people think, the whole thread is available on the search tool (as long as you search thread titles for life strategy rather than lifestrategy)
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 10th Apr 18, 10:31 AM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    ColdIron
    My cage has been rattled and I have too much time on my hands

Last September I had a look at how the voting on this thread had noticably picked up again, so today I thought I'd have another look at how the numbers pan out

A reminder
    Are you currently invested with Vanguard Life Strategy?
    A) Yes
    B) No
    C) No, but I would like to at some point
    D) There are better options than Vanguard

From 15/01/2013 to 24/08/2017 - 531 votes
    A) 250 (47%)
    B) 91 (17%)
    C) 159 (30%)
    D) 31 (6%)

From 25/08/2017 to 28/09/2017 - 626 votes
    A) 299 (48%) +49
    B) 100 (16%) +9
    C) 190 (30%) +31
    D) 37 (6%) +6

Today - 734 votes

A) 347 (47%) +97
    B) 116 (16%) +25
    C) 225 (31%) +66
    D) 46 (6%) +15

My conclusions
    1. B****r all has changed proportion-wise
    2. It was still a dodgy question, what's the difference between B) and D)?
    3. I wonder how many C)s really became A)s
    4. Vote rate is 17 votes per month since the last snapshot compared to the then 95 votes per month and its original 9.5 votes per month. Perhaps it will cease sometime after 2030
    5. People like voting on stuff
    6. Vanguard's LifeStrategy remains very popular around these parts
    7. I could have spent the last half hour more constructively but nothing that I actually wanted to do sprang to mind
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 6,816 Posts
    • 7,069 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Vanguard's LifeStrategy remains very popular around these parts
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Not sure that's a valid conclusion from the poll - it would surely be more accurate to conclude that VLS remains very popular among those choosing to respond to a poll about VLS?

Much like the danger of reading too much into the Pavlovian responses of those who vote in the biannual self-fulfilling MSE 'tell us again how wonderful First Direct is' polls....
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 10th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Not sure that's a valid conclusion from the poll
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Stop harassing or attacking me
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 6,816 Posts
    • 7,069 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Stop harassing or attacking me
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Humble and grovelling apologies - I've reported myself accordingly!
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 10th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Humble and grovelling apologies - I've reported myself accordingly!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    I've reported you for reporting yourself.
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 12th Apr 18, 4:58 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    pantaiema
    If you are selling your share / fund invested in SIIP are they subject to CGT?
    When is approximately Vanguard will be introducing SIIP?
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    • 7,695 Posts
    • 14,075 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    If you are selling your share / fund invested in SIIP are they subject to CGT?
    Originally posted by pantaiema
    You don't pay UK taxes on income or capital gains when they happen in a SIPP. But 75% of the money you eventually withdraw from the SIPP will be taxable at your marginal rate, so the more value you have created in your SIPP, the more tax you may pay.
    When is approximately Vanguard will be introducing SIIP?
    https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investing-explained/investment-account-types says
    We're launching a Pension (SIPP)

Register your interest and we'll let you know when our Pension is ready to launch (end of 2018)
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 16th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 8,973 Posts
    • 21,729 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone. I've closed the poll.

If you'd still like to start afresh feel free to start a new discussion with or without a new poll.

Thank you!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-04-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

941Posts Today

7,705Users online

Martin's Twitter