Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Debs
    Real-life MMD: Should I keep paying postage shortfalls?
    • 15th Jan 13, 5:07 PM
    Real-life MMD: Should I keep paying postage shortfalls? 15th Jan 13 at 5:07 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep paying postage shortfalls?

This Christmas and on previous birthdays, I've often received cards or mail with insufficient postage paid and had to pay Royal Mail to re-deliver it, without knowing what I might be receiving. Should I let the senders know this is happening, or does it look ungracious?

Click 'reply' to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Got a MMD suggestion? Email us

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 16-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jan 13, 6:25 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,019 Thanks
    custardy
    • 15th Jan 13, 6:25 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 6:25 PM
    had to pay Royal Mail to re-deliver it
    had the option of you mean?
    6 years its been now since price and proportion came in
    tell them or don't keep paying?
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 15th Jan 13, 9:29 PM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 15th Jan 13, 9:29 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 9:29 PM
    My dad did it for both birthday and Christmas last year until I did tell him this year as its rediculous ending up paying more to collect it than what it should have cost in the first place with their pound 'admin charge'!
    roll on end of April 2019 *16 done* = *24 to go*
    • VT82
    • By VT82 15th Jan 13, 10:57 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    VT82
    • 15th Jan 13, 10:57 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 10:57 PM
    I would tell them. Make it light-hearted:

'Bloody Royal Mail. I had to pay to pick up your Christmas card this year! It's impossible to work out how much anything costs to post these days. I always go into the Post Office and get them to tell me. And there's always a bloody queue when I'm on my lunch break. Why can't the old dears go there before twelve or after two?!?!' etc. etc.
    • daipp
    • By daipp 16th Jan 13, 12:24 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    daipp
    • 16th Jan 13, 12:24 AM
    • 16th Jan 13, 12:24 AM
    My friend has done this for the last five Christmas cards - I'll be telling him.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 16th Jan 13, 12:31 AM
    • 11,541 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    • 16th Jan 13, 12:31 AM
    • 16th Jan 13, 12:31 AM
    My relative did this - sent a card clearly marked as 'large letter' on a normal second class stamp. As we usually give cash via online banking I said that I would deduct the amount of the admin charge + insufficient postage off the cash. I thought it would be quite amusing because the person would have queried the strange amount. But I didn't in the end because another family member thought that they would be really offended.

I didn't say anything but I will if it happens again by the same person.

I can still remember it happening years ago with another relative. I never said anything then. It's more the thinking it's going to be something exciting that you could forgive the error and then finding its from little miss careless.....
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • RandomCake
    • 16th Jan 13, 12:39 AM
    • 16th Jan 13, 12:39 AM
    If you go to the post office, you should be able to see the item before paying it.
    RoyalMail will return the item to the sender if you don't pay, and I don't think they charge to return items.
    People need to be told, yes, it's embarrassing to have made an mistake, but how much more embarrassing is it for them to realise in 6 years that they've sent dozens and dozens of cards with the wrong postage, costing your friends and family a small fortune!
    • klint
    • By klint 16th Jan 13, 1:15 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    klint
    • 16th Jan 13, 1:15 AM
    • 16th Jan 13, 1:15 AM
    Last year I received a card from Royal Mail asking me to pay 1.36 to receive a letter that had no stamp on it. I went to the post office to have a look at the envelope before paying. It had no sender details. Out of curiosity, I paid the 1.36 to see what was inside. Guess what it was... a mass marketing mailshot from an estate agent!
    • ronangel
    • By ronangel 16th Jan 13, 3:51 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    ronangel
    • 16th Jan 13, 3:51 AM
    • 16th Jan 13, 3:51 AM
    Last year I received a card from Royal Mail asking me to pay 1.36 to receive a letter that had no stamp on it. I went to the post office to have a look at the envelope before paying. It had no sender details. Out of curiosity, I paid the 1.36 to see what was inside. Guess what it was... a mass marketing mailshot from an estate agent!
    Originally posted by klint
    I would have placed in a larger envolope and addresed it to the manager/md and posted it back without stamp.....
    The richard montgomery matter

• custardy
    • By custardy 16th Jan 13, 3:53 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,019 Thanks
    custardy
    I would have placed in a larger envolope and addresed it to the manager/md and posted it back without stamp.....
    Originally posted by ronangel
    yah,that would have shown them....

oh wait,its addressed to RM
    so like all RM mail. it wouldnt even be charged
    • cazpost
    • By cazpost 16th Jan 13, 7:25 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    cazpost
    I would definitely tell them.How many letters are they sending out with the wrong amount on? I wouldnt say 'you are costing me money' as that does sound ungracious,just say 'I dont know if you realised,you have to pay more for large letters now'. If they are offended then they probably wont send you any more cards, but does that matter that much?
  • florere
    If they are getting the postage wrong on your letters and parcels they will be getting it wrong for everybody else, so do them a favour and tell them.
    • LittleMoo
    • By LittleMoo 16th Jan 13, 8:54 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    LittleMoo
    yah,that would have shown them....

oh wait,its addressed to RM
    so like all RM mail. it wouldnt even be charged
    Originally posted by custardy
    They meant they would send it back to the Estate Agent, not to RM.

• Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 16th Jan 13, 9:17 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    You will have to tell the senders what is happening. I would be inclined to say that there is a possibility The Royal Mail may not be delivering all my post because of the incorrect postage on it and that you have already had to make up the shortfall on some items.
    • mtp123
    • By mtp123 16th Jan 13, 9:18 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    mtp123
    Perhaps post a card to them next year, earlier than usual and just say "Oh dear, I forgot last year to check size/weight of some cards I sent and recipients had to pay excess postage plus 1. Very sorry if it affected you. Have made sure all correct this year" perhaps they will get the hint or were not even aware of different pricings. Surely a little white lie better than causing offence.
    Good luck to all who enter competitions.
    • miriamm
    • By miriamm 16th Jan 13, 9:34 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    miriamm
    I did this, the Christmas before last. I bought some cards which were a normal size but had a small decorative thing stuck to the front which made them too thick to qualify as a normal letter. I genuinely didn't realise and sent them all with standard 1st class stamps.

My parents told me (in a nice way) that they'd had to pay extra...I was very embarassed...but very glad they'd said.

Needless to say I apologised to everyone and was extremely careful this Christmas to check that my cards were nice and flat!

So, I would tell them.
    • onesixfive
    • By onesixfive 16th Jan 13, 9:40 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    onesixfive
    They are probably not even aware what they are doing ! (especially if they are elderly). They are wasting "small" stamps on "large" envelopes. So tell them.
    Even if its by complaining how much more it costs to send big cards these days - & how you intend to stick to small/thin ones in future - and how the post office failed to deliver (several) of your Xmas cards until you paid up, and how you wont be paying again!
    A lot of OAPs call at the post office - tell them to ask at the counter if unsure.
    No Large cards - no badges for the kids on cards in future !
    • Inverness
    • By Inverness 16th Jan 13, 9:41 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Inverness
    I just tear up the notification. I am not bothered about cards and, if its really important, the sender would follow up.
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 16th Jan 13, 10:09 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    If you've been forking out every year, and especially if it's the same person every time, I'd say something. Otherwise, don't bother getting the things redelivered, and if anyone asks if you've received something when you haven't, tell them no, are you sure you put the right postage on?
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 16th Jan 13, 10:38 AM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 12,701 Thanks
    tgroom57
    I'd send a thank you card with 4 Large stamps inside, and explain that anything that isn't flat needs the bigger stamp, and also that I'm very happy to get 'flat' cards.

Does the Post Office still do a leaflet explaining the thickness issue?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,264Posts Today

5,763Users online

Martin's Twitter