Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 38
    • IndyPete
    • By IndyPete 7th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IndyPete
    Yes, I did although the wording of the regulations are ambiguous (in my opinion) which is why I was hoping there was a court ruling clarifying matters. Will update when I know more.
    • gordon_harris
    • By gordon_harris 11th Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    gordon_harris
    Most of the experiences on here are negative, but I thought I would post that I had a pretty good experience with KLM over a flight cancellation a few weeks ago. I just filled the form in on their website and they got back within two days to say they were paying full compensation (with no further information required) which I've now received. The cancellation was because of a staff issue but they took full responsibility for it. This is the second time I've claimed flight compensation and the first time (with Norwegian) was much more hassle so I'd give KLM top marks for this.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    I had no issue with the KLM claim I made several years ago either, even as I was waiting between flights at Schipol. But the aim of this board is principally to help those who do have issues, and there are many, with airlines.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 20th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    manutd99
    Just want some advice on how to proceed with a flight delay.

I travelled on KLM on Monday from Manchester to Amsterdam. It was delayed by 2h 39min.

Due to the delay I missed my connection. I was then booked on a flight the next day so had to stay overnight in Amsterdam. Was booked into a hotel by KLM.

It was foggy that morning but unsure if this was the actual reason as other flights seem to have been operating (I think).

Flight number - KLM1074. 18th Dec

How do I find the actual reason? Do I email and ask or make a claim and see what they say?

What should be my next step? Do I claim online via their website or is better to send a template letter?

Any advice appreciated.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 20th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi manutd99,

You should claim directly from the airline in the first instance, see what they say, and take it from there. If they have an online claim form use that.

It's always hard getting the true reason for a delay but if you post your flight details we may be able to find out a little more. It was foggy and the runway was also closed for emergency repairs on Monday so, depending on the time of your flight, it could have been for a genuine reason.

It's also worth putting your details into one of the online flight delay calculators to see if they believe you have a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 20th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    manutd99
    Hi manutd99,

You should claim directly from the airline in the first instance, see what they say, and take it from there. If they have an online claim form use that.

It's always hard getting the true reason for a delay but if you post your flight details we may be able to find out a little more. It was foggy and the runway was also closed for emergency repairs on Monday so, depending on the time of your flight, it could have been for a genuine reason.

It's also worth putting your details into one of the online flight delay calculators to see if they believe you have a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    I have now completed the online form.

My flights details are in my original post

Flight number - KLM1074. 18th Dec - The one that got delayed

I put my details in bottonline.com and it said I am eligible for compensation.

Il see what KLM reply with. My hopes arn't I as there was two passengers. One adult and one child so doubt they would had over £1000 without a fight as overall journey was long distance.

Have there been many where compensation has been awarded with only the online form completed? How far have people been to get compensation with KLM. My advantage is I am familiar with moneyclaimonline process as recently won a parking fine court case (see previous posts).
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 21st Dec 17, 12:40 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I have now completed the online form.

My flights details are in my original post

Flight number - KLM1074. 18th Dec - The one that got delayed

I put my details in bottonline.com and it said I am eligible for compensation.

Il see what KLM reply with. My hopes arn't I as there was two passengers. One adult and one child so doubt they would had over £1000 without a fight as overall journey was long distance.

Have there been many where compensation has been awarded with only the online form completed? How far have people been to get compensation with KLM. My advantage is I am familiar with moneyclaimonline process as recently won a parking fine court case (see previous posts).
    Originally posted by manutd99
    Hi,

The aircraft left AMS at about 9am, landed at MAN at 10am but was then on the ground till about 12.20pm, I don't know why tho. It's usually a very quick turn around. Other aircraft were landing and taking off during that period. Possible minor tec problem.

If Bott says you are due compensation then you probably are.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 21st Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    manutd99
    As I thought KLM rejected my claim. The response was extremely quick. I submitted at night and the next morning I had a response. I got the following response.

Per our records, the flight was delayed due to restrictions put forward by the Air Traffic Control (ATC) as a consequence of adverse weather conditions. We can understand the uncertainty this situation must have caused and apologise for the inconvenience.

Decisions made by Air Traffic Control affect the departure and arrival time of a particular aircraft, and results in delayed arrival of the flight. Because of the unforeseen nature of such circumstances, they cannot be avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. These situations are considered to be beyond our control and do not fall under the purview of the existing EC Regulation 261/2004. Hence, no compensation is due on this occasion. We regret the inconvenience caused due to this disruption.

Where do I go from here. If above statement is incorrect how do I prove that. How do I find out the actual reason if there is another reason as presume KLM trying to fob me (if the case)
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 21st Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi manutd99,

There was a lot of fog that day and I noticed that the smaller turbo pro type aircraft were very badly affected by it when attempting to land. Your aircraft, and quite a few other jet aircraft, came straight in without any landing delays.

What is not so easy to see is the outward flow and any delays to departures.

You know that Botts believe you have a valid claim, so that is one option open to you. To DIY will be difficult, and would probable require litigation to get any answers from KLM. I don't feel that ADR would get to the bottom of the why's and wherefores of all the problems that cropped up on a foggy day, so definitely an uphill battle.

Ultimately tho, the decision is yours.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 21st Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    manutd99
    Thanks for that. Leaning towards giving to botts.

Why botts? Are there others out there as the 25% plus Vat is a considerable amount. Is that what most others charge?

Would've preferred to go alone but unfortunately wouldn't know how to go about in doing it mainly proving the actual reason.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 21st Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi,

There are lots of unregulated claims assistance companies out there, who I would not recommend using. Unscrupulous claims companies have been known to receive compensation from the airline but then failed to pass it on to the claimant.

Solicitors such as Botts, have a very successful track record against the airlines and have brought about changes to the law. I have successfully used them twice and found them to be very professional. Others are available tho.

I believe charges are very similar whoever you use.

Good luck.
    • Lucy333
    • By Lucy333 2nd Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lucy333
    Hello, can I have some advice please?

I was due to travel to Marseille with AF on 23/2/18 (AF 6022)- two stage flight, from LHR to paris to marseille. At 10 pm the night before the flight I was sent a text to say that my flight from paris to marseille had been cancelled. There had been a strike by AF staff the previous days but they had on their website that it had been resolved on 22/2 ie the day before the flights.

As I was unable to contact anyone from AF at 10 in the evening, with no way of rebooking, and I urgently needed to get to Marseille for the 25/2, I booked an alternative flight with Lufthansa.

When I called AF in the morning, they told me I would be entitled to a full refund (£135).

I subsequently went on this website and saw that I might be entitled to compensation as the flight was cancelled despite the strike being over.
    I contacted AF with this information and asked for the refund and compensation of 250euros.

They have finally got back to me and said that they will pay me the compensation of 250 euros but not made any mention of a refund of the flight that they offered. They also said in the email that they have not been able to give my email the in-depth attention that it deserves due to the exceptional volume of correspondence they have received. Interestingly the text they initially sent me regarding cancellation stated it was for operational reasons, however their email stated it was due to crew strike

Am I entitled to a refund as well? Or should I be happy that I have the 250euros supposedly coming my way (they've said it may take 3-4 weeks...!)

thank you for your advice
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    Crew strikes are not an exceptional circumstance.
    You are due :
    1. Compensation at Euro250 for short notice cancellation
    and
    2. a refund of your original KLM flight cost AND any additional you had to pay to Lufthansa for the re-routed flight.

• Lucy333
    • By Lucy333 2nd Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lucy333
    Thanks J Pears.
    SO I should write back to them and say I am entitled to the £136 refund, the difference between the lufthansa flight and AF (ie £111.30) as well as 250 euros compensation?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    Yes. Download Vaubans guide.

• Lucy333
    • By Lucy333 4th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lucy333
    Thanks - I've read the guide but couldn't find anything about the reimbursement and also refunding the cost difference for the alternative flights. Have written back to them now so hopefully they'll reply soon.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    No, theres nothing about the additional cost reimbursement but the rules are contained within the regulation 261/2004.
    Vauban's superb guide could do with a little update, but I think the Lord is till in winter hibernation under his nice hat.

• singlo
    • By singlo 8th May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    singlo
    2 and half days delay
    I was stranded at Schiphol Airport for 2 and half days and two nights on the 8th Dec. KLM put me in the hotels for tow nights. They didn't give exact reasons other than weather conditions for the multiple delays and cancellations. I had to queue 6 hours every day for two days in Schiphol for rebooking the flights. I l travelled from London to Hong Kong on 7 Dec and only arrived late on 10th Dec. They lost my luggage for 10 days. I filed the compensation on the 10th Dec via Resolver and did not receive a single reply, even escalating the case to ADR in March. I phoned their UK customer service on the phone in Feb, they said my case file was deleted due to unknown reason and they would call me back. In March, no call was returned after one month. I called UK customer service in March and created a new file. Every time I called, they kept saying that they could not connect to the customer service in Holland as they are too busy. I called today and they said they have not looked into my claim even after 6 months. They have transferred me to the complain department and put me on the hold for 40 minutes. All they have said I will get a reply soon but didn't explain why my claim filed via Resolver was deleted. They have said they don't know why.

Now 6 months later, not a single reply about my claim. It seems the all the Resolver and ADR letters sent to KLM were useless. KLM simply ignored them completely. So far my experience with the KLM customer service is horrible. Please advice what to do.
    Last edited by singlo; 08-05-2018 at 1:41 PM.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 8th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    NoviceAngel

.......Now 6 months later, not a single reply about my claim. It seems the all the Resolver and ADR letters sent to KLM were useless. KLM simply ignored them completely. So far my experience with the KLM customer service is horrible. Please advice what to do.
    Originally posted by singlo
    A familiar story to most airlines Iím afraid, we donít generally recommend CEDR but sending an NBA is the start, read Vaubans guide that explains everything- wether or not your entitled to any compensation depends on the reason for the delay. If you donít think that weather affected your flight then issue the NBA and see what happens. Most airlines use weather as the cause of a delay because weather is a genuine EC - (Extraordinary Circumstance)

Vaubans guide explains it all.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, weíve had to remove part of your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,575 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    KLM will not deal with claims through Resolver. I don't know why people use that anyway, just send them an email where you state you are claiming compensation for the delay under EU regulations. That said, if the delay was due to bad weather, you might struggle to get a payout. I don't know what an ADR letter is. You can file complaint with AviationADR but if you did you should have an email confirmation confirmation which allows you to look up the status of your complaint on the AviationADR website.

EDIT: @NoviceAngel: KLM uses AviationADR, not CEDR. Not saying they are any better but at least it's a free service so there's nothing lost (except time) by going through them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,279Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• RT @TinaTeapot27: Just did an energy price comparison via @MoneySavingExp and switched to new supplier. Straightforward, took 5 mins, and w?

• Follow Martin