Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 93
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 25th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    Possible claim
    Hello All

My family and I experienced a flight delay to Orlando 27/12/2014. We took off 3 hours late but landed according to my memory 2 hours 45 minutes late. This I therefore thought was not enough of a delay to put in a claim. This I was very disappointed about particularly as this had several major knock on effects on the first day/night of the holiday. I have now noted that the delay includes 'door open' as part of the delay. Is it worth trying for compensation as landing to doors open would likely add on at least 15 minutes extra so delaying for over 3 hours.

I have not been able to confirm the delay as yet so any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Trying my best to save where I can......
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Is it worth trying for compensation as landing to doors open would likely add on at least 15 minutes extra so delaying for over 3 hours.
    Originally posted by rsspence

Who knows, it depends on when the doors opened. You could file a complaint with AviationADR (a free service) and see what Virgin says. Of course, the delay has to be caused by extraordinary circumstances for you to be entitled to compensation, even if the doors opened more than 3 hours after scheduled arrival.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Of course, the delay has to be caused by extraordinary circumstances for you to be entitled to compensation,
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    You have that 100% wrong.

If it was due to an EC the airline would be exempt from paying compensation.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You have that 100% wrong.

If it was due to an EC the airline would be exempt from paying compensation.
    Originally posted by Tyzap

My bad, there was a 'non-' missing in front of 'extraordinary circumstances'. Thanks for clarifying.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 25th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    It was a 'technical issue'. Shouldn't I go direct through Virgin first and see how I get on? Just stating what I understand the factors are and perhaps mentions the additional times to doors open?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 25th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 11,550 Posts
    • 7,553 Thanks
    Caz3121
    what was your starting airport? do you have the flight number?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Yes, file claim with VA first. Technical issues are almost never extraordinary so assuming doors opened 3 hours+ after scheduled arrival, you should be due compensation.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 26th Aug 18, 6:43 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    Flight was VS015 27/12/13, Gatwick to Orlando. I cant find any confirmation of the flight delay so am going from memory and my disappointment of 2 hrs 45 late. Might just give it a shot.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 26th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put those flight details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 29th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    I have checked on both of the sites and they I have no claim, but do not give ant times of delay. Is there anyway I can get exact times?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 29th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I have checked on both of the sites and they I have no claim, but do not give ant times of delay. Is there anyway I can get exact times?
    Originally posted by rsspence

If both say no claim it can simply be due to the registered landing time being less than 3 hours after the scheduled time. This doesn't mean you have no claim since 'doors open' time is what matters. As previously adviced, file a claim with VS and then take it from there. If they refuse to provide 'doors open' time, take it to AviationADR or MCOL. Make sure you get your facts right, you've given two different years for the flight in your other posts.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 29th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    Hi thanks for the advice. I will get the dates correct, well spotted. I will let you know how I get on.
    • N20Y1D
    • By N20Y1D 6th Sep 18, 6:06 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    N20Y1D
    VS94 21ST August CUN-LGW
    We were on this flight, and it arrived 4 hours 12 minutes late, this was after circling a couple of times due to congestion, I've looked at flight times over the last three months on this flight and even if it had flown the shortest duration during this period it would still have been over 4 hours, so could they realistically get away with claiming the congestion was the factor behind the delay being over 4 hours and only pay out for 3?

Flight took off 4hrs34m late for what it's worth.

Haven't had an answer from VS yet, so just wondering.
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 6th Sep 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    VS94 21ST August CUN-LGW
    We were on this flight, and it arrived 4 hours 12 minutes late, this was after circling a couple of times due to congestion, I've looked at flight times over the last three months on this flight and even if it had flown the shortest duration during this period it would still have been over 4 hours, so could they realistically get away with claiming the congestion was the factor behind the delay being over 4 hours and only pay out for 3?

Flight took off 4hrs34m late for what it's worth.

Haven't had an answer from VS yet, so just wondering.
    Originally posted by N20Y1D
    Hi N20Y1D,

No not really, congestion is a regular occurrence, it's not extraordinary or even unusual at busy airports. It is inherent in the normal operation of an airline.

A valid claim dependant on the other reason/s for the late arrival.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • N20Y1D
    • By N20Y1D 6th Sep 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    N20Y1D
    The flight was delayed due to a fault on the aircraft which was picked up on when it arrived from Gatwick on the outbound journey earlier that day so theres no way they can try and get out of that, which is why i was wondering about the congestion..

Fact is Virgin advertise the flight as having a journey time of 9hrs30m yet this flight actually took 9hrs13m so was quicker than normal even with the congestion..

flight aware details
    • N20Y1D
    • By N20Y1D 6th Sep 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    N20Y1D
    Just had email confirmation they are paying the full €600.... Happy days, got confirmation that my 300 enhanced compensation has come through from thameslink as well....
    • Wokka1976
    • By Wokka1976 15th Sep 18, 11:23 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wokka1976
    How can Virgin Atlantic get away with this!
    We were on the same flight raised our own claim, got declined 16/8. Challenged back and on the 24/8 got told again declined. We've now instructed a solicitor and glad we've seen this, im fuming that they are paying out some but not all.......how can they get away with it. Have you received the money yet?
    We'll be looking to getting the solicitor fees back too!!
    Best is they sent an email to my 13 year old son yday saying they are they are paying out but now deactivated the link. They shouldn't of even contacted him direct they used his email address from the flying club, his email was never given as part of the claim.......against GDPR surely!!

Thank you for posting this!!!
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 15th Sep 18, 11:36 AM
    • 11,550 Posts
    • 7,553 Thanks
    Caz3121
    We were on the same flight
    Originally posted by Wokka1976
    which flight are you referring to? have you checked what the NWNF sites state re compensation?
    • Wokka1976
    • By Wokka1976 15th Sep 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wokka1976
    Sorry new to this forum I was trying to reply to a post above re flight VS15 to Orlando departed 23rd July. Clearly did it wrong ha
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th Sep 18, 11:55 AM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    JPears
    If you have instructed a solicitor, be sure they fully understand regualtion 261/2004 and that their charges are reasonable. You won't get their costs back from the airline.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,714Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin