Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 93
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 8th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Eu compensation would be 600euro per person. But you are also owed a duty of care so the hotel plus meals should have been paid form by virgin. You might be able to claim something on your travel insurance
    • jennymaine
    • By jennymaine 8th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jennymaine
    Thank you!
    I contacted my insurers and they said as I got EU comp they would not be able to pay out.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Aug 18, 2:13 PM
    • 11,674 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    Caz3121
    The EU amount is small considering the inconvenience.
    Originally posted by jennymaine
    maybe consider that when you next purchase travel insurance...many only have a small amount...eg 20 for each 12 hour delay but if you need something more in case of delays you should be able to find a (probably more expensive) policy. There are people that have had similar delays due to weather etc that get no EU compensation but still have the same inconvenience
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 8th Aug 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Have a look at the terms and conditions of your policy and try and find where it says if you get Eu Compensation you cannot claim for a delay from the insurance company I would be surprised if you could find it.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Aug 18, 3:44 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    Agreed.
    Although insurer asked the same with my current easyJet claim. I told her quite clearly the 2 were not connected. She couldn't tell where this was in the terms and conditions.....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Robj241
    • By Robj241 16th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Robj241
    I had a 5hr 47min delay on 23rd July Gatwick to Orlando (VS15), the plane from Orlando was delayed due to weather, but an alternative plane was sourced in the UK, but this had to be staffed etc.

I claimed on the Virgin on line claims system and received this reply.

The aircraft that was scheduled to operate your flight had to divert to Tampa due to bad weather. It waited in Tampa for the weather to improve however this took quite a while and result in our crew exceeding their hours leaving us no choice but to terminate the flight there. We looked to source an alternative aircraft for your flight and did manage to find one. However, it took time to prepare and cater this aircraft which meant a delay was unavoidable.

Do I now reply with a LBA?

Many thanks for any help.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 16th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I had a 5hr 47min delay on 23rd July Gatwick to Orlando (VS15), the plane from Orlando was delayed due to weather, but an alternative plane was sourced in the UK, but this had to be staffed etc.

I claimed on the Virgin on line claims system and received this reply.

The aircraft that was scheduled to operate your flight had to divert to Tampa due to bad weather. It waited in Tampa for the weather to improve however this took quite a while and result in our crew exceeding their hours leaving us no choice but to terminate the flight there. We looked to source an alternative aircraft for your flight and did manage to find one. However, it took time to prepare and cater this aircraft which meant a delay was unavoidable.

Do I now reply with a LBA?

Many thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by Robj241
    It's not a valid excuse for the avoidance of compensation so either dispute what they say or issue a LBA.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Robj241
    • By Robj241 21st Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Robj241
    UPDATE

Sent an email reply saying that as a plane was available, then we were still entitled to compensation.

This was the response.

Further to your email regarding your EU Compensation Application in relation to the following flight:
    Booking Reference
    Flight Number
    Scheduled Date of Departure
    Departure Airport
    Arrival Airport
    EWY7FV
    VS15
    23 July 2018
    London Gatwick
    Orlando
    Having reviewed your claim, please be advised that in accordance with regulation EU261/2004, we will now settle your claim in respect of the following passengers.....

MANY THANKS TO THIS SITE FOR INFORMING ME HOW TO CONTINUE TAKING THIS FURTHER.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st Aug 18, 2:38 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    Well done.
    Once again we see an example of an airline dismissing your claim out of hand.
    How many were on your flight? Several hundred minimum?
    How many who actually claimed? 50-70%
    How many of those just accepted VA's fob off? 50-70%
    End result, very few people receive compensation they are entitled to and the airlines are leagally obligated to pay.
    It is a disgusting state of affairs.
    Can I suggest you write to the CAA to make a complaint about Vas ignoring the law initially?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 25th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    Possible claim
    Hello All

My family and I experienced a flight delay to Orlando 27/12/2014. We took off 3 hours late but landed according to my memory 2 hours 45 minutes late. This I therefore thought was not enough of a delay to put in a claim. This I was very disappointed about particularly as this had several major knock on effects on the first day/night of the holiday. I have now noted that the delay includes 'door open' as part of the delay. Is it worth trying for compensation as landing to doors open would likely add on at least 15 minutes extra so delaying for over 3 hours.

I have not been able to confirm the delay as yet so any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Trying my best to save where I can......
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Is it worth trying for compensation as landing to doors open would likely add on at least 15 minutes extra so delaying for over 3 hours.
    Originally posted by rsspence

Who knows, it depends on when the doors opened. You could file a complaint with AviationADR (a free service) and see what Virgin says. Of course, the delay has to be caused by extraordinary circumstances for you to be entitled to compensation, even if the doors opened more than 3 hours after scheduled arrival.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Of course, the delay has to be caused by extraordinary circumstances for you to be entitled to compensation,
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    You have that 100% wrong.

If it was due to an EC the airline would be exempt from paying compensation.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You have that 100% wrong.

If it was due to an EC the airline would be exempt from paying compensation.
    Originally posted by Tyzap

My bad, there was a 'non-' missing in front of 'extraordinary circumstances'. Thanks for clarifying.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 25th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    It was a 'technical issue'. Shouldn't I go direct through Virgin first and see how I get on? Just stating what I understand the factors are and perhaps mentions the additional times to doors open?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 25th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 11,674 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    Caz3121
    what was your starting airport? do you have the flight number?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Yes, file claim with VA first. Technical issues are almost never extraordinary so assuming doors opened 3 hours+ after scheduled arrival, you should be due compensation.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 26th Aug 18, 6:43 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    Flight was VS015 27/12/13, Gatwick to Orlando. I cant find any confirmation of the flight delay so am going from memory and my disappointment of 2 hrs 45 late. Might just give it a shot.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 26th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put those flight details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say.
    • rsspence
    • By rsspence 29th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    rsspence
    I have checked on both of the sites and they I have no claim, but do not give ant times of delay. Is there anyway I can get exact times?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 29th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I have checked on both of the sites and they I have no claim, but do not give ant times of delay. Is there anyway I can get exact times?
    Originally posted by rsspence

If both say no claim it can simply be due to the registered landing time being less than 3 hours after the scheduled time. This doesn't mean you have no claim since 'doors open' time is what matters. As previously adviced, file a claim with VS and then take it from there. If they refuse to provide 'doors open' time, take it to AviationADR or MCOL. Make sure you get your facts right, you've given two different years for the flight in your other posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

164Posts Today

1,608Users online

Martin's Twitter