Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 87
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 2:49 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    TBH leylandsuna I saw the flybe/delta one to from EDI but thought that the window between the flybe flight and the Delta flight was to short. if the flybe flight had any delay they would have struggled to get the connection onto Delta. I think there was an hour. bit close with so much at risk.
    Not much of a "choice" regarding flying from another airport on this day really. Our "Choice" was taken away from us when we had the flight cancelled on us. Had the manchester one not been offered at the time of booking we wouldn't have chosen to fly from LGW or EDI.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Nov 16, 3:02 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    TBH leylandsuna I saw the flybe/delta one to from EDI but thought that the window between the flybe flight and the Delta flight was to short. if the flybe flight had any delay they would have struggled to get the connection onto Delta. I think there was an hour. bit close with so much at risk.
    Not much of a "choice" regarding flying from another airport on this day really. Our "Choice" was taken away from us when we had the flight cancelled on us. Had the manchester one not been offered at the time of booking we wouldn't have chosen to fly from LGW or EDI.
    Originally posted by evansm72
    It is a legal connection, but it's a risk.

You could have cancelled so it was your choice. The answer remains the same though. Your credit card isn't going to refund you, so unless your travel insurance covers, which I doubt, you're out of luck.

GoToGate are less than stellar. Chalk it up to experience and remember to avoid third parties when booking flights, and book direct with the airline. If you must use a third party do your research and choose a reputable one like Netflights.
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 3:20 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    We would have lost 650.00 on the hotel if cancelled so again stuck between and rock and a hard place there but sound advice duly noted leylandsuna. Will do.
    First and last time Im getting burnt with this.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 4th Nov 16, 3:33 PM
    • 12,182 Posts
    • 8,303 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Ok,

The question remains of whether I can get that flight money back from someone. Credit Card?
    Originally posted by evansm72
    I doubt it, and certainly not from the credit card.
    • Jamesn2016
    • By Jamesn2016 12th Nov 16, 8:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jamesn2016
    Virgin Atlantic - flight schedule change
    Hi all,

I was booked on a flight with Virgin Atlantic from Gatwick to Cancun, Mexico for 12 today. When I checked yesterday for my flight it was not listed and i knew something was up. It turns out they have rescheduled the flight for tomorrow.

After speaking on the phone to customer services they apparently sent an email and text in September and October to notify me of this, neither which I received. They have agreed to cover reasonable costs while I wait over 24 hours from the original flight at Gatwick. They will not cover the costs for missed hotels or car hire in Mexico.

The main customer relations team, who have more authority, are unable to help as they are only open in the week and it's the weekend. Now stuck at Gatwick twiddling thumbs. Ideally would want to be moved to another flight but there are no Virgin flights today and only a BA one leaving which the team do not have authority / potentially won't put us on.

My issue is that as far as I am concerned they have not contacted me to let me know about this important change. Thier communication has been poor. Ive checked the contact details which are correct. They have offered a full refund but I'd be losing 1200 with my partners ticket if I choose to do that and fork out for the BA flight myself. Due to that cost it's not an option unless Virgin pay.

I've read the money saving expert article and it appears rights around this are potentially limited but it does make reference to lack of contact. I have hit a brick wall with the weekend customer service team who lack authority. I could go to the airport and speak to the virgin folk there but not sure if they would be able to tell me anything different. Any advice would be very welcomed. Absolutely gutted to be missing my holiday, so advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

James
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 12th Nov 16, 9:24 AM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Jamesn2016,

Virgin are being unreasonable and on the basis that waiting until tomorrows Virgin flight will cost you money I would get the BA flight today and then argue about it later.

I think a judge would support you once you put a case together, if that is what it takes to make Virgin see sense.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 12th Nov 16, 9:54 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Vauban
    Hi Jamesn2016,

Virgin are being unreasonable and on the basis that waiting until tomorrows Virgin flight will cost you money I would get the BA flight today and then argue about it later.

I think a judge would support you once you put a case together, if that is what it takes to make Virgin see sense.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    But if Virgin are able to demonstrate that they sent an email and text - and I don't think they have to prove you received it - then you most likely will not be able to claim back your BA fare. (And if you do fly out BA, you'll need to make sure Virgin don't cancel your return flight, which would normally happen if you're a no show for the outward leg).
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 12th Nov 16, 11:34 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Tyzap
    But if Virgin are able to demonstrate that they sent an email and text - and I don't think they have to prove you received it - then you most likely will not be able to claim back your BA fare. (And if you do fly out BA, you'll need to make sure Virgin don't cancel your return flight, which would normally happen if you're a no show for the outward leg).
    Originally posted by Vauban
    The 'better enforcement' document published by the European Commission states the following...

3.2.5. Burden of proof in the event of cancellation
    Article 5(4) of the Regulation imposes on air carriers the burden of proof as regards whether and when the passengers have been individually informed about the cancellation of their flight.

I'm not sure that Virgin could classify a PAX as a 'no show' following the original flights cancellation, and the PAX then having to arranging their own re routing due to the lack of assistance from Virgin.

It may help if the op were to inform Virgin of his intention in advance tho!

All very arguable in court but given that the regulations 'must be interpreted strictly' also very winnable IMHO
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 13th Nov 16, 12:03 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Vauban
    Fair point - but it's not clear to me how any airline could reasonably prove that an email or text had been received, only that they had sent it to an email address that was appropriate.

It could be winnable, but it feels to me awfully loseable too! The OP should be aware of this if he chooses to buy a second flight.

There is a broader point, which is no use for the OP but worth reiterating all the same: the importance of checking reasonably regularly whether one's flight is still scheduled as booked. Whoever is legally responsible, it's a rubbish situation for the passenger to find themselves in on the morning of their supposed departure.

I wonder how he got on?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 13th Nov 16, 12:42 AM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Fair point - but it's not clear to me how any airline could reasonably prove that an email or text had been received, only that they had sent it to an email address that was appropriate.

Not sure myself, perhaps they would be expected to receive an acknowledgement from the PAX. Not a PAX problem tho.

It could be winnable, but it feels to me awfully loseable too! The OP should be aware of this if he chooses to buy a second flight.

Cassandra, it was always the OP's call tho.

There is a broader point, which is no use for the OP but worth reiterating all the same: the importance of checking reasonably regularly whether one's flight is still scheduled as booked. Whoever is legally responsible, it's a rubbish situation for the passenger to find themselves in on the morning of their supposed departure.

True, but that depends on how it should be checked, which I presume depends on how it was booked.

I wonder how he got on?

Yes me too, it must have been a hectic day whatever he decided to do. Hope we get an update.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 13th Nov 16, 1:11 AM
    • 17,992 Posts
    • 45,665 Thanks
    duchy
    Did you not check in online ?

You knew the day before travel that something wasn't right yet you didn't try to contact Virgin on that day but simply went to the airport the following day. This makes no sense.

In a purely hypothetical scenario you could have realised when you went to do online check in that the email you hadn't bothered opening had given you the heads up on Friday but you decided to try your luck by pretending you didn't know in an attempt to get compensation. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case for yourself but the fact some people do try it on means Virgin will likely not offer anything more than food and hotel until tomorrow's flight.
    Last edited by duchy; 13-11-2016 at 1:19 AM.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • Gran71
    • By Gran71 17th Jan 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gran71
    Hi All, not been on for a long time as not had anything to update but finally got some good news this week. VS074 7th June 2013, Orlando to Manchester, 25 hour delay, Pilot Sickness, I claimed through EUClaims as I didn't have the time or confidence to go for it myself, and Virgin had turned me down in writing 3 times. They have paid out to euclaims, and I got the money in my account. There were 4 of us (2 adults & 2 kids) and of course there was the fee to be deducted but was still worth it. Just thought this might be useful if anyone else is still thinking about it. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Leumas Trebor
    Thanks to you and another person on this website we have also been paid out from this flight, money in our accounts today, we had also contacted Virgin on more than three occasions and were told that no one had been paid out from this flight, we didn't want to go the claim company route but in the end decided that for our group of four adults and three children any recompense would be better than nothing, and we had become fed up of Virgin's attitude. Many thanks to those people who make sure other people on our flight get this information
    • JPears
    • By JPears 17th Jan 17, 12:23 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    JPears
    Well done.Its a pity you didn't go DIY - you would have got alot more compensation!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Blade74
    • By Blade74 27th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blade74
    Virgin flight cancelled
    Hi help or advise much appreciated. I purchased flights to new york off Skyscanner for a virgin flight ( return) for new york june this year upon weekly check of virgin app return leg cancelled and moved 24 later after contacting virgin was told to contact byo jet ( agent ) who could only offer flight home via atlanta 8 hrs wait there then manchester meaning I'd get home roughly same time as cancelled flight and not on the airbus with was my main reason for flying virgin for comfort ( new hips ) what is Virgins position on this as they cancelled original flight home. Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Blade74; 27-03-2017 at 9:59 PM. Reason: Not finished post
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 27th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 11,315 Posts
    • 7,422 Thanks
    Caz3121
    More than 14 days notice so no compensation- reroute or refund
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 28th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 12,182 Posts
    • 8,303 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Thank them for the extra day there!
    • Blade74
    • By Blade74 28th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blade74
    If I'd have wanted 8 days I would have booked 8 days the hotel I'm in is fully booked so I have to find pay and move to another hotel for one night . Thanks virgin ! After saving for 12 months to afford seven nights
    • Blade74
    • By Blade74 28th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blade74
    Thankyou for your reply much appreciated
    • photome
    • By photome 28th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 13,256 Posts
    • 8,790 Thanks
    photome
    Have you checked to see if there are any alternative flights back that are more suitable and then ask to be transferred to it.

that may have been easier if you had booked direct with virgin,

flights get changed/cancelled all the time
    • Blade74
    • By Blade74 28th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blade74
    Only alternative flight is jfk to Atlanta 8 hr wait then fly to Manchester on same day . But I have paid for leg room wich they would give back but no legroom seats on alternative flights . But I recently had lots of surgery ( no violins please ) wich was my reason for flying a330 for the 2 3 2 layout . Will definitely not use agents again first time and definitely the last
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

4,701Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin