Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 86
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 24th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Virgin delay was 13 mins you need to be delayed more than 3 hours. Virgin are not responsible for your missed flight in London.
    • Shardylan
    • By Shardylan 24th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shardylan
    Seeing Howe it was their flight that was delayed and that caused us to miss our connecting I would have thought they were responsible .If they weren't why would they arrange our connecting flight for later that afternoon ?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 24th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 11,318 Posts
    • 7,422 Thanks
    Caz3121
    It is worth checking with Expedia how they booked this. From what I can see if you want a LAS-DUB flight with the first flight being to LGW with VS, Virgin will book the second leg from LHR with BA rather than from LGW with EI so they may not accept this as a valid connection
    • Shardylan
    • By Shardylan 24th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shardylan
    I know I was able to check in online with Virgin for both legs & the flights were accessable on their site to even get travel miles
    • gt568
    • By gt568 29th Oct 16, 2:58 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    gt568
    Hey guys

Was due to fly LAS-LGW last friday on VS044. Was delayed 24 hours due to a technical problem and arrived back on the sunday as opposed to the saturday morning.

Anything I should be aware of with Virgin? What are they like to get compo out of?

Many Thanks
    Originally posted by gt568
    Well Virgin have agreed to pay out in full for all 4 of us. Only had to fill out there claim form. Result.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 9:25 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    Flight cancellation - rescheduling
    Hi People I am new to this but have been a keen reader for a long time.
    My Problem is this.
    I have booked flight for my better half and her mother from manchester to New York staying 17th nov 16 until 21 Nov 16.
    We found out by a chance link on a link that we found other night that the flight has been cancelled and they have been moved them to a flight the day before at the same time. The hotel where they have booked wants $300 for this extra night. My BH is a nurse and will have come off a night shift and have been up for approx 27 hours when she catches this new flight we have to find an extra days childcare as her mother was going to have our daughter while my BH caught some zzzz.
    The company we booked it with, GOTOGATE.COM have said its nothing to do with them. The flight detail email said it was a Virgin Atlantic flight operated by Delta Airlines. Virgin rep said it was delta and put her through to a Delta rep who said it was virgin.
    We have found a Delta flight from Edinburgh to NYC on the original date of travel. Can we insist they get her on this?
    Can we claim the travel expenses up to Edinburgh on my credit card insurance? ( It was all booked with my credit card).
    My travel insurance said they dont cover this and the credit card rep said just book the extra night and put it in dispute. is this how credit card insurance works? There seems a lot out there on delayed flights but not a lot on flights brought forward and expenses incurred by this.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 4th Nov 16, 10:13 AM
    • 11,318 Posts
    • 7,422 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I assume this is due to schedule changes with moving to the winter timetable and the Thursday flight no longer operates. This sounds like a codeshare flight with a VS flight number but Delta operated and Delta have changed their schedule.
    Unfortunately you have booked through a not-so-great agent and everything will need to be done through them.
    The airline would have advised your agent of the schedule change (when they did this is key here)
    If the alternate flights are not suitable then they can ask the agent to ask the airline for something else or take a refund
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 10:17 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    Thanks for the reply Caz3121.
    Flight number was VS4023 as you say.
    I take it that the refund IS an option as this hasn't been given to us an option. Where does that leave the hotel booking cost? will i be able to claim that beck somehow?

thanks,
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 4th Nov 16, 10:55 AM
    • 11,318 Posts
    • 7,422 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I take it that the refund IS an option as this hasn't been given to us an option. Where does that leave the hotel booking cost? will i be able to claim that beck somehow?
    Originally posted by evansm72
    If the hotel has been booked independently then it will depend on whether you have a cancellable room rate as it is not a package
    I would start with gotogate and state the day before is not an option and you need to stick to your original dates, they then need to find what the airline will offer...this may be a flight with a connection rather than direct. If you opt to change departure airport this 'may' be deemed a voluntary choice so they would be unlikely to cover expenses...
    Many of the rights under EU261 regarding compensation kick in if you have been given under 14 days notice of the change (hence my comment to understand when the airline advised your agent)
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 11:20 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    Hi Caz3121 thanks again.
    You are again correct. I didn't want to go into to much initially. but they have offered them a flight on the same day. with a 2hr stop in las Vegas which my BH thinks is a mickey take. Im sure they are well practiced at this and know what they are doing to cover their bases.

We noticed the change in flight and contacted Go to gate that night on the 2nd Nov. We got a reply with the offer of the day before last night 3rd Nov so they may have just sneaked in regarding the 14 days.
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 11:22 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    The room isn't cancellable either Im afraid we didn't think we needed that option.
    Doesn't credit card insurance cover this type of eventuality. I have never used it so have limited knowledge of it. But always book using it and pay the CC fee on the basis that it gave me some kind of cover.
    thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Nov 16, 11:47 AM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    JPears
    In this instance you really do have to hammer gotogate - who seemingly are reknowned for their lack of customer care - to sort this big problem out. 2 hr change in Las Vegas is not too bad given the alternative.
    In future do not bother with agents like gotogate. You have little protection or comeback, and these days it is very unlikely the flight will be any cheaper than dealing with the airline directly.
    As ammunition/leverage against gotogate, find out from Delta when they informed gotogate of the change. If it was some time ago then gotogate have no defence (and probably wouldn't have informed you at all unless you had queried it.
    Last edited by JPears; 04-11-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 12:12 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    I have just had a text from my BH that Virgin are saying the flight was changed in April!!!
    Im not sure what hold we have over GTG as they are just referring to their T&C's.
    J Pears the distance to NYC from Las Vegas is 3500 each way considering they have to go past NYC to go to Las vegas on the opposite side of the country will make it a 16 hr trip instead of a 8 hour trip. Bit much dont you think?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Nov 16, 12:13 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    The room isn't cancellable either Im afraid we didn't think we needed that option.
    Doesn't credit card insurance cover this type of eventuality. I have never used it so have limited knowledge of it. But always book using it and pay the CC fee on the basis that it gave me some kind of cover.
    thanks
    <<But always book using it and pay the CC fee on the basis that it gave me some kind of cover.>>

If you mean Section 75 it doesn't cover for this sort of circumstance. Your hotel still have the accommodation available for you to use. Your card issuer isn't going to refund you just because the airline have cancelled the flight.
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 12:14 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    Thanks for the info leylandsuna.
    WHat about the extra nights accommodation required?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Deleted due to wrong info.
    Last edited by leylandsunaddict; 04-11-2016 at 2:28 PM.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Virgin are still showing flights (2) available on 17th from Man.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thanks for the info leylandsuna.
    WHat about the extra nights accommodation required?
    That would be at your own cost. Airlines aren't responsible for consequential loss.
    • hick77s
    • By hick77s 4th Nov 16, 1:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hick77s
    Ok,
    This is sorted now.
    She has managed to speak to virgin and changed the flight to one flying out from London that morning 17th Nov.
    I have just paid 200.00 for 2 flights down to London . The virgin rep who sorted it handed her back to Go To Gate to finalise it. (Tail wagging dog springs to mind).
    Im sure there isn't any way that I can get the money back for the flights to London.
    Tyzap The flights to NYC from manchester go via Atlanta. I think we have finally after many phone calls got the best result we can although Go To Gate will never see the colour of my money again.
    The question remains of whether I can get that flight money back from someone. Credit Card?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    There is a Flybe/Delta flight that goes from MAN to JFK on the 17th via EDI. Was that not better than paying for flights to LGW?

You can't get your money back from anyone. You chose to fly from LGW so the cost of getting there is up to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin