Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 166
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 30th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Yep, that's the one I got, I didn't get that much as it must have been a shorter flight but it was more than the return flights plus a bag, which is bizarre really, only good thing to come out of the EU lol
    • Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 30th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    It's for 3 of us, so £225 each. Nice!!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 30th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Justice13075
    what were the 2 airports are you sure it was under 1500 km
    • Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 30th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    Bristol to Geneva about 900km I think. I'm happy with the result.
    • chrisharvs
    • By chrisharvs 2nd Sep 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chrisharvs
    Hi there guys and gals, I've had a quick scan over a few replies and questions in this thread but there are over 3,000 of them to go through so I figured this may be a quicker way. I have also partially read the Vauban's guide.

Long story relatively short, myself, wife and 3 children (14,10&6) due to fly Bristol to Alicante 7/8/18 at 19.45, flight was delayed then cancelled, I have filed a compo claim and it has been rejected as the reason was “extraordinary circumstances”.

To further explain what happened on the day; there was heavy thunderstorm and CB activity across the South of England and Central Europe, particularly France, which resulted in air traffic control restrictions that substantially regulated arrivals at affected airport and air space en route. Air traffic was soon at capacity. Long delays built up, knocking on to later flights. The delays were sometimes several hours long. Ultimately, in the case of this flight, the delay would have missed the Bristol airport curfew. We had no alternative but to cancel the flight. We do take reasonable measures to avoid cancellations and delays to our flights by having replacement crews and spare aircraft available in our network. In the circumstances, these options were not possible as the cancellation was as a direct result of the prevailing adverse weather conditions.

We took the re-routing option, ended up staying 2 nights at hotel in Bristol, hiring a car and driving to Southend airport, eventually landing in Alicante 42 hours late. Thus shortening our holiday by 2 days.

A friend has told me to proceed and try again/go further but am I infact wasting my time??
    The Vauban's guide, MSE & EasyJet website say I'm not going to get anything sooooo........?????

Thanks in advance
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    Have you tried putting your details into an online checker such as Botts or EUclaim?
    IMO, 2 days delay for a cancelled flight just due to a short weather event is unacceptable.
    There are 2 hurdles the airlines must get over to prove they are not liable for compensation payment.
    The second, often ignored and underused hurdle is that the airline must take all reasonable steps to minimise the dealy caused by the delay or cancellation.
    I might be wrong but I'm guessing Bristol to Alicante is daily flight?
    Were you offered a flight on a different airline? Probably not.

I hope EJ have covered ALL your additional accomadation, food/drink and travel costs? If not you will need to submit a separate online claim. Good luck and keep us updated.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 2nd Sep 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi chrisharvs,

EJ are being vauge and very general in their reply.

What matters with weather related problems is how it affects your flight directly, not what the weather is like around Europe and in other parts of the UK.

If other flights were arriving and departing from Bristol airport at around the time of your flight there is no reason why you shouldn't have been one of them. Do you recall what the weather was like as you were at the airport?

There are some legal cases which support this view, see Bott & co's website for further info.

If EJ took two further days to get you to your destination that would also further suggest that they have also fallen foul of the regulations that specify re routing at the earliest opportunity. That should have included using another airline if available.

Did they pay for all you cost?

For your next move I would ask EJ for a deadlock letter and then take your case to CEDR, who should find in your favour.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 02-09-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: slow typing so overlap with JP
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 2nd Sep 18, 2:04 PM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    jpsartre
    A friend has told me to proceed and try again/go further but am I infact wasting my time??
    Originally posted by chrisharvs

Based on what easyJet is saying, I would say yes. There were thunderstorms over France on 7/8 so it's likely there were ATC delays on the route your aircraft were to take.

Edit: I do agree with JP and Tyzap that 2 days to reroute is ridiculous.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 02-09-2018 at 2:17 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    EJ have agreed to pay our re-routing expenses 10 weeks after the event, issuing summons and 2 days before any defence was due to court
    Still denying liability. Why? There is no question under regulation EC261/2004,that they are liable, end of.
    Bizarre.
    Now lengthy wait whilst CEDR grinds it's way through a compensation claim...

• legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 3rd Sep 18, 7:45 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    legal magpie
    It's because you are well known as a troublemaker
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 3rd Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You might have to wear a Lone Ranger eye mask so they don't recognize you lol
    • beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 10th Sep 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    You don't have to book overnight accommodation through the easyJet app!
    Hi everyone,

I had our flight from Paris cancelled on May 31st at 11pm after sitting for hours in the airport. It was cancelled due to weather conditions so no compensation is due but expenses should be.
    There were no easyJet support staff, just a stack of leaflets being handed out with the comment "you're on your own, we can't help" from the person closing up the desk. So we booked an hotel, Eurostar tickets and taxi's via the wonder of my smart phone but not through the easyJet app. because

1.Nowhere was it suggested we need to, including on the leaflet we were given, 2.all around us people were desperately trying to book rooms and were struggling to find them.
    3.we needed a room for 3 as we had our 11 year old with us.
    4. we just wanted to get sorted out quickly after a long tiring day!

Now easyJet have paid for the Eurostar, taxis and travel expenses but rejected the hotel and breakfast as it wasn't booked through their app.
    So finally, my question is:
    Can they legally reject a claim on that basis?

Thank you for any assistance, experience or help anyone can give.
    Originally posted by beckybarnard

Just wanted to say Thank you to everyone who offered help and advice. We finally today got an email from easyJet agreeing to pay the hotel portion of the expenses claim that they rejected because we didn't book through their app. I had to launch a Money claim online action against them, they initially said they would defend and then today decided to pay without prejudice.

We always felt we must be right, as we repeatedly asked customer services;
    Could you please tell me where it says, on your literature, website or information emails, that hotel accommodation HAS to be booked through your app?
    Could you please tell me where in the EU Flight regulations it says that airlines can insist that customers book emergency accommodation through the airlines app?
    Could you please explain what happens to passengers without smart phones? Or if your phone has no signal/battery left? There was NO ground staff assistance.

We never received an answer!

Let's hope not too many people get caught by this new "rule" that easyJet seem to have introduced.
    Thank again everyone.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Sep 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    Despite giving EJ a 7 day deadline, I'm still waiting for my expenses payment more than a week after they agreed to pay up.
    easyJet - the notice of Discontinuance wont go in until you've paid!

• legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 10th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    legal magpie
    JPears, do NOT file a notice of discontinuance unless it recites the fact that EJ have ageeed to settle your claim and costs. Otherwise it looks like you have simply dropped the case and, in theory, could leave you exposed to a claim for defence costs against you. Best is to file a consent order withdrawing the claim but a good alternative is simply to write to the Court advising that the case has been settled, sending a copy to EasyJet. But, as you've already said wait you've actually got the money before doing anything.
    • schoolrunmum
    • By schoolrunmum 10th Sep 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    schoolrunmum
    Ezy2126 nce-ltn 19/07/18
    Hello all... this flight was delayed overnight due to EZY crew going out of hours, due to ATC delays. EZY have refused my claim. Any thoughts as to if they are worth pursuing?

" Air traffic controllers over France restricted air space due to staffing issues. There were also air traffic control restrictions over London, directly affecting London Luton due to capacity of air space. Long delays built up as flights waited for ‘slots’ to operate, sometimes taking several hours. The delays continued throughout the day and knocked on to later flights. The delays pushed our crew into their maximum legal operating hours and we had no other choice but to delay your flight until the next day. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crews and spare aircraft available in our network. In the circumstances, these options were not possible as the delay to your departure was as a direct result of air traffic control restrictions."

Ideas?

"
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
    • beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 10th Sep 18, 10:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    Did you claim for expenses or compensation? We have just successfully got expenses (taxis, Eurostar tickets, hotel, breakfast and train fares) after an overnight cancellation, but we couldn't get compensation as it was due to Industrial action.
    • schoolrunmum
    • By schoolrunmum 11th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    schoolrunmum
    Industrial action on the part of ATC Becky?
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Sep 18, 12:16 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    school run - becky is asking what element of regulation 261/2004 did you claim for?
    1. Additional expenses incurred for such thiings as overnight accomadation, re-routing flights with different airline etc .
    2. Fixed compensation for delay/cancellation?
    I wasn't aware there was an atc strike on 19/7. I flew from France on 17/7, we had kept an eye on news whilst there as we had been cancelled by EJ on outr way out on 30/6, ended up flying BA (at EJs expense)

• beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 11th Sep 18, 7:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    Yes, back in May, or their other excuse was storms over UK...either way, no compensation, just expenses.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Sep 18, 11:58 AM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    JPears
    Finally have the re-routing expenses in my bank account, 11 weeks after submitting the claim on the day of cancellation, getting no response after 14 days, no response to NBA after 14 days and submitting a claim on MCOL.
    easyJet, why do you make it such had work for a perfectly legitimate claim.
    Next steps:
    1. Letter of complaint to CAA pointing out easyJets tardy action on a slamdunk claim.
    2. Waiting for CEDR response for compensation claim. Almost as slow as easyJet.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin