Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 165
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 2nd Sep 18, 2:04 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    jpsartre
    A friend has told me to proceed and try again/go further but am I infact wasting my time??
    Originally posted by chrisharvs

Based on what easyJet is saying, I would say yes. There were thunderstorms over France on 7/8 so it's likely there were ATC delays on the route your aircraft were to take.

Edit: I do agree with JP and Tyzap that 2 days to reroute is ridiculous.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 02-09-2018 at 2:17 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    EJ have agreed to pay our re-routing expenses 10 weeks after the event, issuing summons and 2 days before any defence was due to court
    Still denying liability. Why? There is no question under regulation EC261/2004,that they are liable, end of.
    Bizarre.
    Now lengthy wait whilst CEDR grinds it's way through a compensation claim...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 3rd Sep 18, 7:45 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    legal magpie
    It's because you are well known as a troublemaker
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 3rd Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You might have to wear a Lone Ranger eye mask so they don't recognize you lol
    • beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 10th Sep 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    You don't have to book overnight accommodation through the easyJet app!
    Hi everyone,

I had our flight from Paris cancelled on May 31st at 11pm after sitting for hours in the airport. It was cancelled due to weather conditions so no compensation is due but expenses should be.
    There were no easyJet support staff, just a stack of leaflets being handed out with the comment "you're on your own, we can't help" from the person closing up the desk. So we booked an hotel, Eurostar tickets and taxi's via the wonder of my smart phone but not through the easyJet app. because

1.Nowhere was it suggested we need to, including on the leaflet we were given, 2.all around us people were desperately trying to book rooms and were struggling to find them.
    3.we needed a room for 3 as we had our 11 year old with us.
    4. we just wanted to get sorted out quickly after a long tiring day!

Now easyJet have paid for the Eurostar, taxis and travel expenses but rejected the hotel and breakfast as it wasn't booked through their app.
    So finally, my question is:
    Can they legally reject a claim on that basis?

Thank you for any assistance, experience or help anyone can give.
    Originally posted by beckybarnard

Just wanted to say Thank you to everyone who offered help and advice. We finally today got an email from easyJet agreeing to pay the hotel portion of the expenses claim that they rejected because we didn't book through their app. I had to launch a Money claim online action against them, they initially said they would defend and then today decided to pay without prejudice.

We always felt we must be right, as we repeatedly asked customer services;
    Could you please tell me where it says, on your literature, website or information emails, that hotel accommodation HAS to be booked through your app?
    Could you please tell me where in the EU Flight regulations it says that airlines can insist that customers book emergency accommodation through the airlines app?
    Could you please explain what happens to passengers without smart phones? Or if your phone has no signal/battery left? There was NO ground staff assistance.

We never received an answer!

Let's hope not too many people get caught by this new "rule" that easyJet seem to have introduced.
    Thank again everyone.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Sep 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    Despite giving EJ a 7 day deadline, I'm still waiting for my expenses payment more than a week after they agreed to pay up.
    easyJet - the notice of Discontinuance wont go in until you've paid!

• legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 10th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    legal magpie
    JPears, do NOT file a notice of discontinuance unless it recites the fact that EJ have ageeed to settle your claim and costs. Otherwise it looks like you have simply dropped the case and, in theory, could leave you exposed to a claim for defence costs against you. Best is to file a consent order withdrawing the claim but a good alternative is simply to write to the Court advising that the case has been settled, sending a copy to EasyJet. But, as you've already said wait you've actually got the money before doing anything.
    • schoolrunmum
    • By schoolrunmum 10th Sep 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    schoolrunmum
    Ezy2126 nce-ltn 19/07/18
    Hello all... this flight was delayed overnight due to EZY crew going out of hours, due to ATC delays. EZY have refused my claim. Any thoughts as to if they are worth pursuing?

" Air traffic controllers over France restricted air space due to staffing issues. There were also air traffic control restrictions over London, directly affecting London Luton due to capacity of air space. Long delays built up as flights waited for ‘slots’ to operate, sometimes taking several hours. The delays continued throughout the day and knocked on to later flights. The delays pushed our crew into their maximum legal operating hours and we had no other choice but to delay your flight until the next day. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crews and spare aircraft available in our network. In the circumstances, these options were not possible as the delay to your departure was as a direct result of air traffic control restrictions."

Ideas?

"
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
    • beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 10th Sep 18, 10:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    Did you claim for expenses or compensation? We have just successfully got expenses (taxis, Eurostar tickets, hotel, breakfast and train fares) after an overnight cancellation, but we couldn't get compensation as it was due to Industrial action.
    • schoolrunmum
    • By schoolrunmum 11th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    schoolrunmum
    Industrial action on the part of ATC Becky?
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Sep 18, 12:16 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    school run - becky is asking what element of regulation 261/2004 did you claim for?
    1. Additional expenses incurred for such thiings as overnight accomadation, re-routing flights with different airline etc .
    2. Fixed compensation for delay/cancellation?
    I wasn't aware there was an atc strike on 19/7. I flew from France on 17/7, we had kept an eye on news whilst there as we had been cancelled by EJ on outr way out on 30/6, ended up flying BA (at EJs expense)

• beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 11th Sep 18, 7:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    Yes, back in May, or their other excuse was storms over UK...either way, no compensation, just expenses.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Sep 18, 11:58 AM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    Finally have the re-routing expenses in my bank account, 11 weeks after submitting the claim on the day of cancellation, getting no response after 14 days, no response to NBA after 14 days and submitting a claim on MCOL.
    easyJet, why do you make it such had work for a perfectly legitimate claim.
    Next steps:
    1. Letter of complaint to CAA pointing out easyJets tardy action on a slamdunk claim.
    2. Waiting for CEDR response for compensation claim. Almost as slow as easyJet.

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 13th Sep 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Finally have the re-routing expenses in my bank account, 11 weeks after submitting the claim on the day of cancellation, getting no response after 14 days, no response to NBA after 14 days and submitting a claim on MCOL.
    easyJet, why do you make it such had work for a perfectly legitimate claim.
    Next steps:
    1. Letter of complaint to CAA pointing out easyJets tardy action on a slamdunk claim.
    2. Waiting for CEDR response for compensation claim. Almost as slow as easyJet.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Well done JP

Thats why we tell everyone to persevere, you proved that point
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Sep 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    Persevere but also don't let the airline string it out. Dictate the timetable.

• marksct
    • By marksct 14th Sep 18, 8:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marksct
    Worth appealing?
    Hi - we have submitted for compensation for a 3+ hour delay on our flight from Gatwick to Nice. It has been rejected for the following reason:

To further explain what happened on the day; there were air traffic control restrictions across Europe substantially regulating air space en route, resulting in long delays as flights queued for air space ‘slots’ to operate, sometimes several hours. This flight was particularly affected by air traffic arrival delays into London Gatwick due to capacity and delays over the Marseille region due to staffing and capacity issues. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crews and spare aircraft available in our network. In the circumstances, these options were not possible as the delay was as a direct result of air traffic control restrictions across Europe.

Does anyone have any idea whether it is worth appealing? It costs £25 if unsuccessful, but can't find any indication of whether this reason for refusal is valid...

We didn't get on the plane until more than 3 hours after our departure time, so the delay was not just due to the situation on our flight - we were told via the Easyjet app at least 12 hours ahead of time that the flight would be delayed (the estimated delay got steadily longer throughout the day!). So it seems that the delay was a result of earlier flights being delayed, and was not specific to our flight. In fact, once on board our flight it was very quick. This seems like we should be entitled to compensation to me, as the delay was due to multiple delays on earlier flights?

It may be worth noting that I know that at least some of the delay was because when the flight before us arrived at Gatwick, we had to wait while a passenger who needed assistance was taken off the plane - the assistance at Gatwick did not turn up on time. Having said this, we might just have been 3 hours late without this.

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by marksct; 14-09-2018 at 8:41 AM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Sep 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I suspect CEDR will favour easyJet. A small claims court judge may be more sympathetic to you. Keep in mind that the key question is whether easyJet could have taken reasonable steps to prevent your delay. If there were ATC restrictions in the relevant air space it's not a guarantee that a replacement aircraft/crew would have enabled you to get to your destination any quicker.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Sep 18, 9:01 AM
    • 11,436 Posts
    • 7,489 Thanks
    Caz3121
    what date was your flight?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 14th Sep 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi - we have submitted for compensation for a 3+ hour delay on our flight from Gatwick to Nice. It has been rejected for the following reason:

Does anyone have any idea whether it is worth appealing? It costs £25 if unsuccessful, but can't find any indication of whether this reason for refusal is valid...

Thanks a lot
    Originally posted by marksct
    Hi marksct,

CEDR only seem to charge a fee if the claim is vexatious or deliberately pointless. I don't know of any cases where a failed claim has resulted in a charge, so don't let that put you off referring to CEDR.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • OogieBoogie
    • By OogieBoogie 14th Sep 18, 3:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OogieBoogie
    Hi all,

Me, the wife and our 3YO daughter were stranded at Asturias back in June when our EasyJet flight home was cancelled because of fog.

Expenses and compensation claims were were made as soon as we arrived home via their website. They refused our claim for EC261 compensation because the cause was weather conditions.

They employed various tactics (or is it just incompetence?) to try to put us of claiming expenses (including losing the documents we submitted to support our claim for expenses) cancelling the claim (twice) but finally through sheer dogged perseverance on Aug 31st they sent an email saying:

"We have reviewed your claim and are pleased to say that we have reimbursed you for the below expenses."

and on the line below that payment would be made within 14 days.
    I expect no one here will be surprised to hear that 14 days elapsed and no payment has been received.

Yesterday I used their help chat app to chase up the payment and now they say the it is being fast-tracked and should take 3 - 4 days. I fully expect that this time will also elapse without the payment being sent to my account.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get them to pay up?

Next question, is it worth trying to pursue the claim for EC261 compensation?
    Last edited by OogieBoogie; 14-09-2018 at 4:24 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,254Posts Today

8,374Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin