Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 165
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 23rd Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    legal magpie

Looks like MCOL beta has a few basic faults....
    Originally posted by JPears
    You don't say!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 23rd Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    And the MCOL "team" will get back to me in 10 days....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • cardiff-blues
    • By cardiff-blues 23rd Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cardiff-blues
    Trying to post a claim via EasyJet's online compensation form for a delayed flight of over 5 hours. But the Expense section does not list anything for delays. Then if you try and submit the form without an expense you get a form error. So in effect, you can't complete the online form to claim for a delay.

Any way around this?

Many thanks
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 23rd Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Trying to post a claim via EasyJet's online compensation form for a delayed flight of over 5 hours. But the Expense section does not list anything for delays. Then if you try and submit the form without an expense you get a form error. So in effect, you can't complete the online form to claim for a delay.

Any way around this?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by cardiff-blues
    Hi cardiff-blues,

I can only suggest sending your claim via snail mail.

Give them 2 or 3 weeks to reply and then follow up with a LBA if you don't get a satisfactory reply.

Your next step would then be MCOL.

Download and read Vaubans guide, details just below here for details.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 24th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    cardiff -b - there are 2 seperate webforms on the EJ website. One for compensation, the other for expenses.

• astar351
    • By astar351 28th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    astar351
    Flight Cancelled - looking to get compensation
    Dear all,

I hope you are well. My friends and I were due to fly to Amsterdam via Southend Airport on 01/06/18. Our flight was at 07:05 and we were due to land in Amsterdam at 09:00. However, when we arrived at the airport at 05:00, we found out that our flight had been cancelled. There were so representatives from Easyjet present at the airport so we had to deal with the Southend Airport staff directly. Apparently, our flight had been cancelled because it was stuck at Gatwick Airport for one reason or another but that was all that they knew. On that day, flights from other airports were leaving as scheduled so we did not know what the problem was in this instance.

They had offered to order us a taxi home, thus ending our holiday then and there in an instant but we asked if there were any other alternatives as we did not want to go back home. The next flight to Amsterdam from Southend was at 19:20 which involved waiting for far too long. After much deliberation, we decided that we were reluctantly going to go back home. However, a Southend Airport employee Lindsay said there was space on the 14:40 flight to Groningen but we would have to make our own way to Amsterdam as Easyjet had not offered to do so which is pathetic. We agreed to this as we did not want our holiday to end before it started. In the time we waited for the flight, we were not looked after at all. No food or drink vouchers were offered.

The flight itself was delayed and did not depart till around 15:45 so we arrived in Groningen at 17:45. From this point we had to figure our a way to reach Amsterdam. Firstly, we had to get a bus from the airport to Groningen central in order to catch a train to Amsterdam. We caught the bus and arrived in the city centre at around 18:30 and caught a train to Amsterdam. We did not arrived in Amsterdam till 21:10 after many painful hours of waiting and hundreds of euros unnecessarily spent just so we could reach our destination, 12 hours later!

Our holiday had passed and we arrived back in England on 03/06/18. Funnily enough or flight was delayed by over an hour when we were leaving Amsterdam. When we came back, we agreed that we would put a form in to claiim compensation based on the recommendation of the staff at Southend Airport. Since I paid for the holiday, I completed the EC261 compensation claim form and this was the reply I got:

EU261 Compensation Claim Assessment
    Claim received: 6/6/2018
    Flight Number: 7401
    Flight Date: 01/06/2018
    Scheduled Departure Airport: SEN
    Scheduled Arrival Airport: AMS

Claim decision: Declined
    Decision summary: We’re sorry that your flight was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Dear Anuj

We’re sorry that your flight was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Our assessment of your claim
    To further explain what happened on the day; adverse weather conditions across Europe and the UK with low visibility, CB and thunderstorm activity caused long delays to flights, as air traffic control substantially restricted airspace near affected areas. Some airports experienced flooding and power failure. Weather forecasts did not predict improvement for an extended period. The delays meant that in some cases crew were pushed to their maximum legal operating hours. There is strict industry-wide rules on the number of hours our crew is allowed to work. To protect the safety of our customers and crew, these hours cannot be exceeded. Ultimately, given all the circumstances and to minimise inconvenience to our customers, we had no alternative but to cancel the flight. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crew and spare aircraft available in our network. However, on this day, there were higher than expected levels of disruption due to adverse weather and air traffic restrictions, which meant that all our replacement crew and spare aircraft had already been deployed.

EU261 Regulation
    When we have to disrupt a flight due to circumstances outside of our control, the flight is classified under EU regulation 261/2004 as being affected by “extraordinary circumstances”. An example of disruption outside of our control would be that primarily caused by air traffic control restrictions, industrial action, severe weather conditions or a runway closure.
    EU261 compensation is only payable when a flight is delayed by 3 or more hours after the scheduled arrival time, or the flight is cancelled, and the reason for the delay or cancellation was within our control. This type of disruption is classified as “non-extraordinary circumstances” in the EU Regulation. Examples of this include most aircraft technical faults or when we haven’t taken reasonable measures to prevent or minimise disruption.

Expenses
    Even if your compensation claim has been declined, you may be eligible for reimbursement of reasonable expenses incurred as result of the disruption. If you have not already done so, you may submit an expenses claim on our website at easyjet.com/ en/help/boarding-and-flying/delays-and-cancellations. Please read this carefully before submitting a claim as this explains how we assess expenses.
    The only way to make a claim is via our expenses webform, we can’t process claims submitted by email or over the phone.

Your options now
    We hope this letter clearly explains why we had to delay your flight. Our assessment team have thoroughly investigated all the available information and our decision is final.
    Our Customer Services team will not be able to access any more information than we’ve provided here. Please read our “compensation explained” section on the following link which will hopefully answer any further questions you may have.
    If, after reading this, you still would like to challenge our decision you should contact an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) supplier. The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) is approved by the CAA to provide dispute resolution services and an independent adjudication of your complaint under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015. CEDR’s contact details are:

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
    70 Fleet St., London EC4Y 1EU
    Website. cedr. com/ aviation
    Email: aviation @ CEDR.com

If you decide to refer your case to CEDR, please note you will need to refer your complaint to them within 12 months of this email.

Once again we are sorry for disrupting your flight.

Claim reference: ETX5V3B-7401-001
    Case reference: 102927260

Kind Regards

Rachel
    easyJet Customer Services

Luckily enough, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Martin Lewis when I was at work and I explained the situation to him briefly and he said I should be able to claim for compensation. I just do not know what to do anymore because the situation is driving me insane. Sorry my post is long winded and I sincerely thank you for all your help in advance.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Aug 18, 2:22 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    astaer.
    Several things here:
    1. Download Vauban's most excellent guide for alot of information.
    2. The aircraft not being at Southend for probably one of the first flights of the morning is probably not an EC. Your plane probably should have been at Southend the previous evening.
    3. You should also claim the additional costs you incurred in your alternative journey Southend to Groningen and the costs to get to Amsterdam from there.
    Presumably you flew Flybe? Did you pay for this?
    Have you claimed a refund of EasyJet?

• Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 29th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    Hi, I submitted a compensation claim for a late flight via the Easyjet form 11 days ago and had an auto reply. Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of how long it may take them to respond? I asked on Twitter and was told they've had alot of claims and will get back to me within 45 days.

Flight was over 4 hrs late arriving because they changed our plane due to a technical issue, Bristol to Geneva. Both Botts and the other one said we should be entitled to compensation.

Thanks.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 29th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Patience is usually a virtue in these cases. Personally I wait 4-5 weeks before chasing up. If I have a valid claim, I know I'll get my money eventually.
    • Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 29th Aug 18, 7:21 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    Thanks, I'll wait it out. Fingers crossed. The delay was a nightmare due to lack of sleep the night before as an alarm connected to the aircon went off at midnight so barely slept after that and got up at 4am! The hotel gave us a full refund though, but Bristol airport with a very tired family from 5am was tough!!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 29th Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You can wait if you want to but remember you are not playing by their timetable but your own, they will drag this out as long as you let them. The fact they have lots of claims tells you something about them. This legislation is nearly 14 years old and if they cannot employ enough staff to deal with the claims that is their fault and not yours. Personally, I would send a letter before action giving them 14 days to pay if they don't then sue them. Just my opinion.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 29th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    The days to respond will vary from 28 days 45 days 56 days, its totally arbitrary. "they've had alot of claims" is just an excuse for and unresourced/staffed department.
    EC regulation 261/2004 has been law for 13 years now. I think the airlines have had enough time to get their act together don't you?
    I replied to the email acknowledgment (which gives you a reference number and case ID) giving them 14 days. No response so sent another email giving 14 days as an NBA. No response.
    Now in process of court action.....EJ must file defence by 5th Sept.
    Last edited by JPears; 30-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.

• JPears
    • By JPears 29th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    Ok so 1 hour behind but like justice said

• JPears
    • By JPears 30th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    First response from CEDR, 17 days after initial submission....
    Requesting copy of all correspondence with easyJet....

Why not ask for that on initial submission.
    Now another 15 day wait.....

Should have just gone MCOL.

• jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 30th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    First response from CEDR, 17 days after initial submission....
    Requesting copy of all correspondence with easyJet....

Why not ask for that on initial submission.
    Now another 15 day wait.....
    Originally posted by JPears

I've never used CEDR but my experience with AviationADR was that it was sloooow. I replied to every request for information within 24 hours and it still took almost 8 months from the time I submitted my complaint until the final decision was made.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 30th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    Archergirl
    I had the conformation that my flight delay was due compensation on 13th Aug, money was in the bank one day last week. I had no further contact after filling in the form just the email to say I'd get the money in 7-14 days, which I did. Well done Easy Jet and thank you x
    • JPears
    • By JPears 30th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    I've never used CEDR but my experience with AviationADR was that it was sloooow. I replied to every request for information within 24 hours and it still took almost 8 months from the time I submitted my complaint until the final decision was made.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    I think if this drags on much beyond end of October I may just go MCOL route.

• JPears
    • By JPears 30th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    JPears
    I had the conformation that my flight delay was due compensation on 13th Aug, money was in the bank one day last week. I had no further contact after filling in the form just the email to say I'd get the money in 7-14 days, which I did. Well done Easy Jet and thank you x
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    Well done.
    Occasionally passengers get lucky with a quick favourable action by the airlines.

• dini
    • By dini 30th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    dini
    I got my reply for my 10th Aug cancellation. (Bordeaux to Gatwick). Declined. Its almost exactly the same as astar351. Word for word-apart from gatwick being closed and thunderstorms across SE england that day!
    My issue with this is BA managed to get Bordeaux to Gatwick that evening no problem. And flights were leaving Gatwick to Bordeaux. (But Easyjet Crew ran out of hours)
    Is it really extraordinary circumstances if the reason for cancellation is not enough crew on standby?
    Light Bulb Moment: Feb 2007
    Debt: £65560 ~~~~~~ Debt Free day 24th March 2016
    • Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 30th Aug 18, 4:17 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    Just received this email from Easyjet:
    We have reviewed your claim and are pleased to say that you are eligible for EU261 Compensation.

Your flight EZY6157 was delayed due to Technical reasons. This delay was within our control and is considered a non-extraordinary circumstance under EU law.

We will transfer 673.71GBP to the bank account details you gave us. Please allow at least 7-14 days for this to arrive in your account.

Once again we’re sorry for the disruption to your flight and look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

So all good and thanks Easjet. Thanks to MSE for making me aware of our rights. Mostly paid for the holiday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,585Posts Today

6,653Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin