Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 162
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Paranoid Android,

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, no point holding back, just be factual and truthful and if they don't like it, tuff!

You were in their care from the time of the delay to your arrival at Liverpool, so any meals and soft/hot drinks etc are also all claimable.

You should also be entitled to compensation too, so submit both claims together ASAP.

It seems to be a straightforward claim due to technical issues so hopefully it will go through smoothly.

Please keep us up to date with any developments and have a read of Vaubans guide, details just below here and yes, it is a minefield.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 5th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    NoviceAngel

To be fair to EJ they complied with their requirements by putting us up in an hotel overnight at our holiday destination and then arranged a 180 mile taxi to the airport we flew out of; now got the fun and games of claiming expenses and compensation.....
    Originally posted by Paranoid Android
    That’s amazing - well done EJ - perhaps J2 could learn from this? You were well looked after, and although I don’t disagree from Tyzaps advice which is of course 100% accurate, you are quite rightly entitled to your expenses, but am I allowed to be soppy ? Is this really an additional compensation claim? Technically you have a case ...

Cheers,

NoviceAngel

EDIT apologies taking the moral ground, I think I’m feeling soppy because the Mrs is still in pot! Lol
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 05-08-2018 at 9:33 AM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    Novice going soft!
    Op got home 24 hours late so definitely a compensation claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Paranoid Android
    • By Paranoid Android 5th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paranoid Android
    Hi Novice Angel

Its not like we are making up a 'dodgy tummy' tale to get abit of compo.

It's not an additional compensation claim, a compensation claim to cover the fact that EJ did not deliver what they were supposed to, a failure that had repercussions for 5 people and thus EJ have a legal duty to compensate people for this.

Their actions resulted in us spending the best part of 12 hours in an airport over 2 days, arriving back in the UK 36 hours later than scheduled, at an airport 180 miles away from where we'd arranged.

3 of us had to miss work on Friday, inconveniencing not only ourselves but our employers and those who had to cover for us. A fourth had to re-arrange a trip they had had planned for months.

Plans for yesterday were affected as not arriving at our car in Liverpool until gone 2am in the early hours of Saturday morning we then had a 2 hours journey home with some then due at work 8.30am.

Yes EJ got us home. as they have a duty to, and for which I give them some credit.

But it was not without hassle, not without inconvenience, not without a major delay, not without alot of uncertainty at various stages, not to where we had booked to return to, not without alot of stress and not without quite a few tears too.

All in all not a nice experience to go through and not one I would wish on anyone, even the mother in law.
    • PomBear
    • By PomBear 5th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    PomBear
    I’m with Paranoid Android and JPears here . 180 miles in a taxi is a huge inconvenience - 3 to 4 hours say, depending on roads and traffic. It’s the distance between London and Yorkshire. EU261 exists to compensate for this kind of inconvenience.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 5th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I know I’m on my own here - just give me a few more days to get back to my normal self!

I do think Paranoid Android does have a legitimate claim. From someone that has brought 4 claims against J2. 3 of which were successful. So no complaints from me, just playing devils advocate.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Virtuo7
    • By Virtuo7 5th Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Virtuo7
    Can anyone help with this? A European flight has to “arrive” 3 hours or more late before compensation is payable. But is “arrival” wheels down, on stand, or through passport control? It is critical in respect of my delayed flight from Liverpool to Malaga last night...
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 5th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Justice13075
    When the door is opened. Post your flight details and I will check for you. What was the reason given for the delay from Liverpool?
    • avfc78
    • By avfc78 7th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    avfc78
    1.) I was booked on a flight from Bordeaux to Gatwick that was cancelled - supposedly due to wethaer and I was booked on a flight the next day. The flight was cancelled after initially being delayed by several hours (and I was advised ten hours earlier at the start of the day that it would be running late)
    2.) The next day, at check in, I was put on standby due to that new flight being over booked, at the gate I was denied boarding. The next direct flight available was three days later, so I was provided with an indirect flight the next day via Barcelona.
    3.) The next day, my barcelona to gatwick flight was delayed and I eventually arrived 4 hours late into Gatwick. (weather conditions apparently, but theis was stacked from earlier flights london to isle of man)

I arrived at Gatwick over 50 hours later than I should have.

As well as hotel, travel, refreshment expenses, Am i entittle to compensation one, two or three times @ 250 EUR for the above? Can you claim it more than once on same booking for separate affected flights? Any advice or information would be appreciated massively. Thanks.
    Last edited by avfc78; 07-08-2018 at 3:23 PM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 7th Aug 18, 4:03 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    jpsartre
    It's three separate claims for compensation. Whether you're entitled depends on why the flights were cancelled/delayed. Denied boarding due to overbooking is a slam-dunk for compensation, cancellation/delay due to weather sometimes isn't but will depend on the circumstances.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 7th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    1.) I was booked on a flight from Bordeaux to Gatwick that was cancelled - supposedly due to wethaer and I was booked on a flight the next day. The flight was cancelled after initially being delayed by several hours (and I was advised ten hours earlier at the start of the day that it would be running late)
    2.) The next day, at check in, I was put on standby due to that new flight being over booked, at the gate I was denied boarding. The next direct flight available was three days later, so I was provided with an indirect flight the next day via Barcelona.
    3.) The next day, my barcelona to gatwick flight was delayed and I eventually arrived 4 hours late into Gatwick. (weather conditions apparently, but theis was stacked from earlier flights london to isle of man)

I arrived at Gatwick over 50 hours later than I should have.

As well as hotel, travel, refreshment expenses, Am i entittle to compensation one, two or three times @ 250 EUR for the above? Can you claim it more than once on same booking for separate affected flights? Any advice or information would be appreciated massively. Thanks.
    Originally posted by avfc78
    Hi AVFC78,

You were unlucky, must remember not to fly with you!

The law on this is not crystal clear but there are provisions within the regulations that allow for more than one compensation claim.

Each case needs to be looked at on it's merits.

I believe the best way forwards, and the first step, is to put in a claim for each individual flight and keep each claim separate from the other. Then we can see what they say. They cannot claim it's all one delayed flight as your new fights were on different days with different flight numbers.

Claim 1 due to flight cancellation.

Claim 2 due to Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB)

Claim 3 due to delay.

Have a read of Vaubans guide, details just below here, to gain some information which you will need.

Should be an interesting claim, so please keep us up to date.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 07-08-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Rich399
    • By Rich399 8th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rich399
    Cancellation advice needed
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this as it is not really a reply, but I can't figure out how to post my own question, sorry about that.
    My situation seems similar to others in that my easyJet flight was cancelled due to alleged bad weather (which did not stop the BA flight landing) on a return flight from Gibraltar in June.
    I managed to rebook a flight for 5 days later then found my own hotel for that period. I do not want to claim for the flight as I just rebooked, but would like to know exactly what counts as 'bad weather', and if I can claim for the hotel, meals and airport parking overstay, totalling just over £700. I have logged a claim on easyJet's page but have not heard a peep from then, not even an acknowledgement of my claim.

The CAA did not want to help with a definition of 'bad weather' and just pointed me to easyJet's claim form.

Thanks for any help, I will look at other threads and pages but with 161 pages just to this thread, it may take time!

Rich
    • BENSON BEAR
    • By BENSON BEAR 8th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BENSON BEAR
    Concept of Time
    Easyjet have found the perfect way of not paying delay claims, they just use their own concept of time which was to tell us our Four Hours and Eleven Minutes late arrival does not qualify as it was less than Three Hours
    How does one even begin to argue with logic like that, especially as even if we were to get all the judgements possible to agree with us and say we have a just and fair claim, no one seems able to enforce these adjudications..
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    Just received an email from easyJet saying my expenses claim has been closed as I have not contacted them with the information they require.
    Information which was submitted on their webform and again in an email on 5th July.
    They really are totally incompetent. Court papers will probably be with them today or tomorrow.....

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this as it is not really a reply, but I can't figure out how to post my own question, sorry about that.
    My situation seems similar to others in that my easyJet flight was cancelled due to alleged bad weather (which did not stop the BA flight landing) on a return flight from Gibraltar in June.
    I managed to rebook a flight for 5 days later then found my own hotel for that period. I do not want to claim for the flight as I just rebooked, but would like to know exactly what counts as 'bad weather', and if I can claim for the hotel, meals and airport parking overstay, totalling just over £700. I have logged a claim on easyJet's page but have not heard a peep from then, not even an acknowledgement of my claim.

The CAA did not want to help with a definition of 'bad weather' and just pointed me to easyJet's claim form.

Thanks for any help, I will look at other threads and pages but with 161 pages just to this thread, it may take time!

Rich
    Originally posted by Rich399
    Is it connected to this post...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74429000&postcount=3013
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 7,572 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Easyjet have found the perfect way of not paying delay claims, they just use their own concept of time which was to tell us our Four Hours and Eleven Minutes late arrival does not qualify as it was less than Three Hours
    Originally posted by BENSON BEAR
    there is information available of flight departure and arrival times - what was your flight number and date?
    • janecaroline
    • By janecaroline 8th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    janecaroline
    Redirected to another airport and delayed overnight
    Hello,

So I was travelling to Santorini from Gatwick and half an hour before we landed it was clear a passenger was ill on our flight (there's no hospital there you have to go to Athens) The pilot was about to land but acceded back in the air and said the wind was too strong to land and that we have a passenger who needs medical help - so we landed in Athens. The passenger was taken off in an ambulance and we had to wait over an hour on the runway to see if we would fly again or if we'd be put up in a hotel. Obviously the latter happened.. Some passengers who had a wedding to attend the next day found a Ryanair flight leaving soon so they booked on their phone and off they went. The rest of us didn't fly till 12:30 the next day so we were over 18 hours delayed to our destination.

However another guest at the wedding left from Manchester the same time as us and managed to land after our failed attempt, so how can Easyjet blame the wind and extreme weather conditions as no compensation? I even tried going though a flight delay claim site and that was my answer also.

Does anyone know where I stand with this or do I have to accept it was the wind when other flights managed to magically land that evening?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    Received a copy of Acknowledgement of Claim. easyJet intend to defend claim...
    On what basis? Idiots.

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hello,

Does anyone know where I stand with this or do I have to accept it was the wind when other flights managed to magically land that evening?
    Originally posted by janecaroline
    Hi,

I'm pretty sure that the wind was probably a red herring. The issue would have been the sick passenger, who may have needed urgent hospital treatment and thus the diversion to Athens.

If it was due to a medical emergency then it is generally accepted that this would be an Extraordinary Circumstance, thus allowing the airline to avoid having to pay compensation.

However, there is another side to this and that is the regs stipulate the airline must do everything to mitigate prolonging a delay following an EC. As Athens is serviced regularly by EJ you could argue that they should have been able to fly you back to your destination the same day. On that basis you may be able to request EU261 compensation.

Put in a claim and see what they say. If they refuse, you could then refer your claim to ADR and then even to the courts if necessary.

Have a read of Vaubans guide, details below here, use the links at the bottom to read the EU261 regulations.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 08-08-2018 at 4:02 PM.
    • MikeJO
    • By MikeJO 8th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    MikeJO
    Any ideas on how long eJ take to pay after agreeing a claim? I had an email on 16th July asking for bank details which I sent immediately but still no sign of the money arriving.
    Procrastination is my middle name....well it would be if I could be ar**d to contact Deed Poll."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

1,429Users online

Martin's Twitter