Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 161
    • Lizb07
    • By Lizb07 1st Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizb07
    Flight cancelled
    Would appreciate some feedback from forum members in my situation:
    - flight delayed due to thunderstorms
    - boarded plane, then told further delay due to thunderstorms
    -finally got given a slot to fly but by this time the crew were out of flying hours so flight cancelled and we had to stay the night and fly the next day (12 hours later)

Would I be eligible for compensation under the EU rulings? I know you canít claim because of weather(which is what started the problem) but wondering if I am eligible as the secondary problem was EasyJet crew out of flying hours?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 1st Aug 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Would appreciate some feedback from forum members in my situation:
    - flight delayed due to thunderstorms
    - boarded plane, then told further delay due to thunderstorms
    -finally got given a slot to fly but by this time the crew were out of flying hours so flight cancelled and we had to stay the night and fly the next day (12 hours later)

Would I be eligible for compensation under the EU rulings? I know you canít claim because of weather(which is what started the problem) but wondering if I am eligible as the secondary problem was EasyJet crew out of flying hours?
    Originally posted by Lizb07
    Quick answer, no. Crewing problems are inherent in the operation of an airline. There are some CC judgements to this effect.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 1st Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    However there might be an element of how long the thunderstorms were an issue. If the thunderstorms only lasted say an hour or less so so the bulk of your delay over 3 hours was due to crew issues then there may be a claim potential.

If the thunderstorms caused more than a 3 hours delay then crew issue is irrelevant and probably no claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 1st Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Quick answer, no. Crewing problems are inherent in the operation of an airline. There are some CC judgements to this effect.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Sorry, that was a bit of a quick reply.

What I mean was that if there were thunderstorms that delayed you for 3 or more hours there is no claim.

Longer answer...

If you were delayed for anything less than 3 hours due to a storm, but the crew were then out of hours causing a further delay of over 12 hours, you may be due compensation as crewing problems/delays are inherent in the airlines operations and are not an EC.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • kcirbuk
    • By kcirbuk 1st Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kcirbuk
    The possible issue with making a claim is there was a Marseille ATC strike that weekend which could have put your plane out of position.
    Botts can't help as the flight neither started or finished in the UK. You will also need to find out which easyJet company operated the flight.
    That sounds reasonable. What for do I need to figure out the easyJet company? And how do I do that?

I just feel that if the plane is ready to take off, but for some reason the crew that are supposed to be on it, is not there, is something that is completely EJ's decision. I can understand if the standby crew takes a long time to get a hold on because of knock on delays from Marseille, but the scenario should never have happened, had EJ not removed the crew from the flight (or whatever the reason was for the crew not being present). Or am I missing something here?
    Last edited by kcirbuk; 01-08-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 1st Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    It doesn't really matter. EJ knew about the Marseille strike in advance. It doesn't cover the area you were flying at all so they should have re-rostered crew accordingly.

There is a second element to fall back on for compensation, in that the airline must have done everything short of intolerable sacrifice to mitigate the delay. Clearly they didn't.

• JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    email reminder sent to EJ - MCOL ready to submit tomorrow.
    They really are fools to themselves if they don't reply by the end of today.

And then there's the compensation claim....

• JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    Received a reply stating:
    1. Compensation claim not due as ATC strike. Thats not what I'm claiming for here, thats a separate issue.
    2. To claim expenses, I need to fill in the webform and provide copies of all receipts. I did that on the 29th June, which they acknowledged.

Of course my reply was touched with a degree of sarcasm.
    MCOL tomorrow it is then....
    Bunch of numpties.

• Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 2nd Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Justice13075
    What post number did this start?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    3035. 29th June.

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 2nd Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 17,981 Posts
    • 11,001 Thanks
    motorguy
    Ok. just had my Easyjet flight for this evening cancelled.

I tried to use their change flight option but it said no flights available for tomorrow, yet i was able to book a flight with them tomorrow online.

So i've had to request a refund. That flight cost me £40 which i expect to get back as its being processed.

However, the replacement flight is £167. I've also had to book a hotel @ £59 and an extra night in the airport car park at the other end will cost me £28.

I believe i am entitled to the 250 euro compensation ok, but am i entitled to claim any of the above costs?

Thanks in advance
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Aug 18, 6:03 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    Compensation depends on the reason for cancellation. What was the reason given?

If other airlines did the same route this evening you could have used them and reclaimed costs.
    But I bet easyJet didn't tell you that?
    So if I'm reading correctly, easyJet website wouldn't let you change you cancelled flight to tomorrow, yet if you booked it yourself you could get the flight? If that's the case, try rebooking on line again and get a screenshot as evidence.
    Unfortunately if you opted for a refund, easyJet will try to wash their hands of any obligation to you, even though they actually denied you any re-routing options. Hence the need for screenshot evidence.
    You can't claim the parking costs.
    You can claim your overnight costs of hotel, food and drink(non alcohol) whilst you wait for next flight.
    Be prepared for a fob off then fight.
    Last edited by JPears; 02-08-2018 at 6:05 PM.

• Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 2nd Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You don't appear to be claiming compensation from easyjet or have you passed that on to Bott. I not why not if they say you have a claim it's not going to cost you anything. The expenses seem straightforward.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    Hi justice. Compensation claim on a different timeline !!!55357;!!!56833;
    NBA sent 29/7 with 14 days notice, even though they've given final decision.
    Just playing fair unlike the airlines.

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 2nd Aug 18, 10:48 PM
    • 17,981 Posts
    • 11,001 Thanks
    motorguy
    Compensation depends on the reason for cancellation. What was the reason given?

If other airlines did the same route this evening you could have used them and reclaimed costs.
    But I bet easyJet didn't tell you that?
    So if I'm reading correctly, easyJet website wouldn't let you change you cancelled flight to tomorrow, yet if you booked it yourself you could get the flight? If that's the case, try rebooking on line again and get a screenshot as evidence.
    Unfortunately if you opted for a refund, easyJet will try to wash their hands of any obligation to you, even though they actually denied you any re-routing options. Hence the need for screenshot evidence.
    You can't claim the parking costs.
    You can claim your overnight costs of hotel, food and drink(non alcohol) whilst you wait for next flight.
    Be prepared for a fob off then fight.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Yes, i've rebooked for tomorrow via their website even though their rebook option was showing no available seats.

The flight this evening was their last flight back to NI from Manchester. They've two tomorrow during the day but fully booked, the next available was Friday evening.

"We!!!8217;re very sorry that your flight has now been cancelled. We were hoping that we would be able to continue with your flight today, but unfortunately, we had to make some changes to our flying program because of the previous delays."
    Last edited by motorguy; 03-08-2018 at 7:24 AM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    So you are probably due !!!8364;250 compensation.
    Cost of your hotel and food/drink.
    Cost of your rerouted flight.
    There are 2 seperate webforms. One for the compensation. One for expenses incurred.

• JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    MCOL submitted. Countdown to 22nd August.

• Paranoid Android
    • By Paranoid Android 4th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paranoid Android
    Hi newbie here, thanks for any replies in advance.

Booked on EJ return flight Thursday afternoon that was cancelled after being delayed.

Re-routed 36 hours later to an airport 180 miles away from original destination where our car was parked.

To be fair to EJ they complied with their requirements by putting us up in an hotel overnight at our holiday destination and then arranged a 180 mile taxi to the airport we flew out of; now got the fun and games of claiming expenses and compensation.

The only email received from EJ since the cancellation is a customer satisfaction survey about it and whilst I have plenty to say to them on the matter I'm wary about completing the survey and 'showing my hand' per se.

Any views/experiences re customer surveys welcomed please.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi newbie here, thanks for any replies in advance.

Booked on EJ return flight Thursday afternoon that was cancelled after being delayed.

Re-routed 36 hours later to an airport 180 miles away from original destination where our car was parked.

To be fair to EJ they complied with their requirements by putting us up in an hotel overnight at our holiday destination and then arranged a 180 mile taxi to the airport we flew out of; now got the fun and games of claiming expenses and compensation.

The only email received from EJ since the cancellation is a customer satisfaction survey about it and whilst I have plenty to say to them on the matter I'm wary about completing the survey and 'showing my hand' per se.

Any views/experiences re customer surveys welcomed please.
    Originally posted by Paranoid Android
    Hi Paranoid Android,

I'm a bit confused as to where the 180 mile taxi journey was, on departure or on arrival?

Why was your flight cancelled? What were you told.

It would be clearer if you could inform us of your original itinerary and then the changed itinerary, it just makes it easier to understand.

EJ can be very awkward after the event, just like some other airlines. They don't like giving out compensation or expenses too easily.

When the reason is very clear cut and unambiguous things tend to go much smoother.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 04-08-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
    • Paranoid Android
    • By Paranoid Android 4th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paranoid Android
    Sorry for the confusion. Facts are as follows:

Arrived at Jersey airport 2.8.2018 approx.1.45pm to check in for a 4.30pm flight back to Liverpool. Flight had been delayed to 6.05pm at this point but we were not informed of this (it was available via their App & other passengers had been informed on check in).

Approx 3.45pm the flight was cancelled due to 'operational reasons', my daughter got a screen shot stating that they had to replace our flight's plane earlier due to a possible technical issue and this was causing delays. The info on the screenshot had been updated approx. 5am on the morning of the flight and advised passengers to proceed to the airport as usual for check in.

With Jersey being a small island with a low number of flights available people were booked onto other EJ flights to other UK destinations (all of the daily flights back to Liverpool were fully booked up to next Thursday 9.8.018).

We ended up booked on EJ flight to Luton last night (with an 180 mile taxi ride back to Liverpool upon landing).

EJ ended up paying for block hotel bookings in Jersey on thursday night and also arranged the taxi from Luton to Liverpool for us last night.

Having read up on flight compensation this morning (what a minefield!) I believe it is worth putting a cancellation compensation claim in after I 'test the water' with our food expenses?

The question I was posing this morning related to EJ's customer satisfaction questionnaire that they emailed yesterday asking how I felt they had dealt with the cancellation.

As we were still not home yet I was unable to complete the questionnaire and this morning I was wary to 'vent my spleen' in case it tips them off about my intentions to claim.

Having read up further on the issue I'm now of the opinion that EJ appear to fight most claims so I may as well reply to the questionnaire and let them have it with both barrels!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

2,404Users online

Martin's Twitter