Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 154
    • RibZed
    • By RibZed 11th Jul 18, 1:08 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RibZed
    Becky - they did a similar thing to me. I and my 2 sisters in law all put in reasonable expense claims for when our flights got cancelled - we were not claiming compensation as it was an ATC strike.

They simply made their own decision - with absolutely no explanation/justification - on what was reasonable to pay us and took a decision to underpay each one of our claims. We all refused what they offered but they just went ahead and 'underpaid' each of us anyway. Reason being they just expect people to give up and be happy they've been paid something.

I took the cases through CEDR initially and it was a complete waste of time and energy.

I would always recommend going the MCOL (MoneyClaimOnline) route. Do as JP suggests and just email them the NBA to settle the claim in full within 14 days, otherwise you will raise an MCOL case.

When you get no response, register yourself and raise your claim on MCOL. It likely won't cost more than £60 and you will claim that back as part of your overall total. It is quite easy to use and my MCOL claim got settled very quickly - it is a 100x more effective than CEDR

Good luck!
    • bluefox8412
    • By bluefox8412 12th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bluefox8412
    Hi everyone, after some advice after reading some of the posts on here I'm unsure if I'm entitled to a refund.
    My partner was flying from Madrid to Edinburgh and was delayed for 4 hours but because of the delay she had missed the train so rebooked another train for the next day and also a hotel room for the night. (plus she had to call her work for the following day off)
    We live in the highlands so this was the only option other than me driving 3hrs 30 mins to pick her up and 3h 30mins back.

She was advised at the time that she would get a refund but they would tell you anything to keep you happy as far as I believe. After sending off a claim form on the EJ site she received the response of
    "Having reviewed your claim, we are unable to repay any of the claimed costs under the EU Regulation 261/2004. Please see a breakdown of your claim below and the reasons for non-payment."

I'm not hopeful of the refund but it's better in my pocket than some fat cat and I understand that how or when I get home is not their problem but they made it a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 12th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Firstly, did she arrive in Edinburgh more than 3 hours after the scheduled arrival, if yes what was the reason for the delay? Put the flight details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say. As for the train and hotel, I'm afraid you will have to look at any travel insurance she had. The compensation if due would be 400euro.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3,575 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I'm not hopeful of the refund
    Originally posted by bluefox8412

You shouldn't be, your partner used her ticket so there's refund due. I wouldn't even bother pursuing it to be honest. That said, you may be due compensation as Justice13075 mentions above.
    • bluefox8412
    • By bluefox8412 12th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bluefox8412
    yes the delay was 4 hours on arrival time in Edinburgh. I'll have a look at the euclaim and see what it says just don't want to put too much energy into chasing something without being more confident about winning. Waste a lot of time chasing money from big companies (am self employed)
    as far as the reason for delay was a technical fault on their part.

The response from EUClaim

Unfortunately we cannot process your claim request.

Based on the flight details you have entered you are, in principle, entitled to compensation. However, it is not possible for us to deal with your claim, because your flight falls outside our geographical work area i.e.your flight did not touch the UK, Netherlands, Germany or Belgium, and/or you do not live in one of these countries. However, you can always file a claim with the airline yourself. We give you a few tips on how to do this below.
    Last edited by bluefox8412; 12-07-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: euclaim addition
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 12th Jul 18, 11:35 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Last time I looked Edinburgh was in the UK. You learn something new every day. What did bottonline say? Mind you from what you say she is due 400 euro. Download Vaubans guide and follow the advice. I assume your partner lives in the UK?
    Last edited by Justice13075; 12-07-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    • bluefox8412
    • By bluefox8412 14th Jul 18, 10:29 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bluefox8412
    bottonline say she's due !!!8364;400 euro but when you look into the fees is it really worth it? it's actually put me in a worse position !!!55357;!!!56834; now I know she should get something but would need to know how to word an email to easyjet to get the delayed flight compensation as opposed to the loss of the costs of the train and the additional cost of a second train and hotel room.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 14th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    That's why you need to download Vauban's superb guide, as previously suggested.
    All the information and template letters you need are in there. EJ will delay procrastinate and obfuscate your claim, even though it sounds a slam dunk.
    Or you may get lucky and they pay without fuss.
    There is a specific compensation for delay 261/2004 webform on the EJ website. Allow 45 days..... (which is unacceptable)
    This will give you an email and case ID when you submit the claim, you then follow this up with emails directly using the case ID for a speedier reply and hopefully payment.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • eshroom
    • By eshroom 16th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    eshroom
    I flew easyjet last month on an overbooked flight. Travellers were offered 500 euros plus hotel and food to take the next morning flight.

I accepted and was put up in a hotel, I asked gate staff and customer services for a 500 euro voucher or something in writing and both said they do not give anything out, but it has been added to my notes and I just need to fill in an online claim form.

I fill in the online form, choosing voluntary de-boarded as the reason for the claim. I just received my rejection stating that as I accepted a "free transfer" I was not due any additional compensation and so they will not pay the 500 euros.

The implication is that I like sleazyjet so much that I delayed my holiday as a favour to them.

I haven't found much online in terms of how to pursue this, I am still in touch with the other voluntarily de-boarded passengers, and they also have had their claims rejected.

I have contacted them on Facebook and Resolver, but does anyone here have any ideas on what has worked in the past in this situation? I am very disappointed, though not surprised, that easyjet are refusing to honour the deal they offered.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 16th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi eshroom
    Thats pretty diabolical by EJ. What they have done by overbooking a flight is what brought about one of the main pillars of the EU261 regulations.

By attempting to now preform a u turn they would bring the rath of any court upon themselves. For this reason I would send them an LBA giving them 14 days notice prior to suing them via MCOL.

The regs are very clear on how overbooked flights should be dealt with and EJ have given themselves no wriggle room at all, they must pay you.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 16-07-2018 at 4:04 PM.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 16th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    What were your flight details? You may have sold yourself short if it was a long flight and worth 600euros...

• eshroom
    • By eshroom 17th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    eshroom
    What were your flight details? You may have sold yourself short if it was a long flight and worth 600euros...
    Originally posted by JPears
    It was a 3 hour flight, so would have paid out 400 euros under eu261. I was surprised they were offering more than 400.

Thanks Tyzap. I have had a reply on Facebook saying they will investigate and get back to me, so I'll give them a coupe of days and then do as you say. I did read articles of them trying this, but thought they must have been isolated incidents... apparently not.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th Jul 18, 3:38 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap

Thanks Tyzap. I have had a reply on Facebook saying they will investigate and get back to me, so I'll give them a coupe of days and then do as you say. I did read articles of them trying this, but thought they must have been isolated incidents... apparently not.
    Originally posted by eshroom
    It is very rare that EJ offer passengers compensation to volunteer to miss a flight. It is what they should do under those circumstances so hopefully they will see sense.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • eshroom
    • By eshroom 18th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    eshroom
    It is very rare that EJ offer passengers compensation to volunteer to miss a flight. It is what they should do under those circumstances so hopefully they will see sense.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    It was an equipment change, so I guess everyone was checked in and at the gate or in departures by the time they realised they didn't have enough seats. They had the involuntary deboared people aside when I was in the queue, they were all very happy when volunteers took their places and they were able to board.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Tyzap
    It was an equipment change, so I guess everyone was checked in and at the gate or in departures by the time they realised they didn't have enough seats. They had the involuntary deboared people aside when I was in the queue, they were all very happy when volunteers took their places and they were able to board.
    Originally posted by eshroom
    If it was an A319 sent to replace an A320, which seems likely, there would have been a max of 30 passengers to off load, if the original flight was full.

The off loaded passengers would have been due 400 euros so they would have to offer more than this to attract volunteers, in that case 500 euros seems reasonable.

Lets wait and see how they handle the situation.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 18-07-2018 at 9:48 PM.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 18th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    legal magpie
    You must hold them to it. This is not a claim under the regulations but under a collateral contract. Send an NBA and if they don't pay, sue them
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 19th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    My claim against EJ was sent by email on 5th July. I gave them 14 days to pay. I informed that if no payment I would send an NBA giving them another 14 days otherwise MCOL claim going in.
    Originally posted by JPears
    I think the airlines are waging a war on MSE regulars, what with me still sorta dealing with one of my Paris delays with J2, Tyzap with his Ryanair delay and you with EJ.

All the best of luck with your claim - I recon they have about another two weeks left before you issue then?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Jul 18, 9:02 AM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    NBA going off today. They did actually send me an email 2 days ago asking for the receipt for the additional car hire expense.
    I do wonder who they employ to deal with these claims as my original email on 5th July did clearly explain that there was no receipt for the additional expense in car hire since I had to cancel the original one and rehire completely anew, both directly through easyJet. The amount being claimed the difference between the 2, to get me to my original destination.

Flymaybe in 2 weeks.....
    Jet2 in September....

• JaneHL
    • By JaneHL 19th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JaneHL
    Hi

After reading articles on MSE website I decided to try an EC261 compensation claim. I received an email yesterday saying I'm eligible for compensation as the flight was cancelled due to the aircraft having a crew issue and the cancellation was within their control and considered a non-extraordinary circumstance under EU law. So am being compensated £711.28. Am happy with that and would like to thank MSE and people on the forum for the advice and easy to use templates :0)
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 19th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Justice13075
    How many were you? was it 2 at 400euro each
    Last edited by Justice13075; 19-07-2018 at 7:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,074Posts Today

7,509Users online

Martin's Twitter