Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 153
    • JPears
    • By JPears 1st Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    Ferris, I would advise you, that under reg 261/2004, you probably are due reimbursment of the hotel costs as they are obliged to get you to your original destination which clearly is not Gatwick.
    If your rerouted journey had got you to Bristol and no transport then that's not EJs concern.
    Send another communication pointing out the required obligations of EJ. Make it an NBA so you can go to court without any further.letter tennis.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Banfy2212
    • By Banfy2212 1st Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Banfy2212
    Hi....Looking for some help/guidance.
    I was in Bilbao in March and the return flight back to Bristol was cancelled, I accept this happens, however the next flight back was 4 days later on the following Thursday. I managed to switch to the next flight to Bristol easy enough; however it was from Barcelona!

I booked 2 flights to Barcelona that afternoon and incurred a cost of 320. At first, they rejected the claim but when challenged them stating the next flight 4 days later they sent me an e-mail saying they "had" paid that amount & I should send them my receipts for meals and incidental travel. I stated that there were no incidentals for food and travel.

Despite repeated non-responded to e-mails I am still waiting for the money. Phone calls simply just increase my phone bills as they are not answered.

Any ideas from anyone who may have been in a similar situation on where I can take this now?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 1st Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Ferris, I would advise you, that under reg 261/2004, you probably are due reimbursment of the hotel costs as they are obliged to get you to your original destination which clearly is not Gatwick.
    Originally posted by JPears

I agree that's the spirit of the regulations. However, as worded, the right to a hotel when overnight acccomodation is required only materializes when the new flight is the next day which wasn't the case here.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 1st Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I booked 2 flights to Barcelona that afternoon and incurred a cost of 320. At first, they rejected the claim but when challenged them stating the next flight 4 days later they sent me an e-mail saying they "had" paid that amount & I should send them my receipts for meals and incidental travel. I stated that there were no incidentals for food and travel.
    Originally posted by Banfy2212

Wouldn't your cost of getting to BCN be incidental travel? That being said, I don't see anything in EU261 that would obligate the airline to cover your cost of getting to BCN. This is a situation where you would have been better off rerouting to, say, London and then making your way to Bristol from there.
    • ferriswheeljunky
    • By ferriswheeljunky 2nd Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ferriswheeljunky
    I agree that's the spirit of the regulations. However, as worded, the right to a hotel when overnight acccomodation is required only materializes when the new flight is the next day which wasn't the case here.
    Originally posted by jpsartre

Thanks for the replies, both! Yes, what I'm worried about is whether easyjet can rely on the letter of the Regulation here. It seems mad that they would have been obliged to put me up for a night in Rome, but could just abandon me at Gatwick overnight in the middle of the journey they're supposed to be arranging... But maybe that is in fact the case!

My understanding is that my next step would be to take the claim to CEDR - is that right? If so, I'd be reluctant to shell out the fee unless I'm pretty confident of my case.

Thanks again!
    • RibZed
    • By RibZed 2nd Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RibZed
    Ferris - there are no upfront fees for using CEDR. They will charge you 25 at the end if the adjudicator rules against you. Also, you need to be formally referred there by EJ or wait until 8 weeks after you first complained, whereas you can go to MCOL immediately if you wish.

I would strongly suggest MCOL if you do develop more confidence in your case - the fee is payable up front (I think it's about 60 for claims up to 500 - but you can easily check this on-line) but compared to CEDR it is way more worthwhile. EJ rang me up to settle my MCOL claim and paid it out weeks quicker than the claims which went via CEDR.

I would never use or recommend CEDR for airline ADR - they're a shambles IMHO.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 2nd Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Thanks for the replies, both! Yes, what I'm worried about is whether easyjet can rely on the letter of the Regulation here. It seems mad that they would have been obliged to put me up for a night in Rome, but could just abandon me at Gatwick overnight in the middle of the journey they're supposed to be arranging... But maybe that is in fact the case!

My understanding is that my next step would be to take the claim to CEDR - is that right? If so, I'd be reluctant to shell out the fee unless I'm pretty confident of my case.
    Originally posted by ferriswheeljunky

I don't know about CEDR but I'd like to think a small claims court judge would see your point of view although obviously I cannot give any guarantees. How much money are you claiming for?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Jul 18, 8:26 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    Anyone got an email addy for the EJ team dealing with additional expenses. As you may expect, the official website form was useless and didm=nt ask the right questions or allow explanation. Bunch of cockwombles.
    Flying flybe in August, Jet2 in September.
    Could be an interesting/busy summer...

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 2nd Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Anyone got an email addy for the EJ team dealing with additional expenses.

Try doing a search for 'email' in this thread. It brings up a few.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Jul 18, 7:26 AM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    I've already tried that. Unfortunately the search facility doesn't allow me to limit to easyJet thread. Just the whole forum page !!!55358;!!!56596;

• beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 3rd Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    Hotel expense rejected for not booking through app
    Hi everyone,

I had our flight from Paris cancelled on May 31st at 11pm after sitting for hours in the airport. It was cancelled due to weather conditions so no compensation is due but expenses should be.
    There were no easyJet support staff, just a stack of leaflets being handed out with the comment "you're on your own, we can't help" from the person closing up the desk. So we booked an hotel, Eurostar tickets and taxi's via the wonder of my smart phone but not through the easyJet app. because

1.Nowhere was it suggested we need to, including on the leaflet we were given, 2.all around us people were desperately trying to book rooms and were struggling to find them.
    3.we needed a room for 3 as we had our 11 year old with us.
    4. we just wanted to get sorted out quickly after a long tiring day!

Now easyJet have paid for the Eurostar, taxis and travel expenses but rejected the hotel and breakfast as it wasn't booked through their app.
    So finally, my question is:
    Can they legally reject a claim on that basis?

Thank you for any assistance, experience or help anyone can give.
    Last edited by beckybarnard; 03-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 3rd Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Justice13075
    NO send them a letter before action and sue them.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 3rd Jul 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for any assistance, experience or help anyone can give.
    Originally posted by beckybarnard
    Hi,

It sounds like e restrictive practice which is completely wrong to me and the regulations, but if it's in their terms and conditions then possibly.

To be on the safe side I would try to call the CAA and ask them for their opinion on it, if you search for their number online it should be possible to talk to someone.

Please let us know how you get on.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • RibZed
    • By RibZed 4th Jul 18, 5:26 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RibZed
    No Becky, they cannot do that. It!!!8217;s just typical EJ trying to avoid paying for something that they must reimburse.

As per an earlier post, send them a NBA advising them that you will issue an MCOL claim unless they reimburse you within the next couple of weeks. Sadly you just need to fight these claims in order to get reimbursed.

I read their guidance here - https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boarding-and-flying/delays-and-cancellations - and nothing seems to have changed since I had to claim for hotel costs NOT booked via their app back in October last year.

Good luck. Just post again if any further advice needed.
    • ferriswheeljunky
    • By ferriswheeljunky 4th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ferriswheeljunky
    Ferris - there are no upfront fees for using CEDR. They will charge you 25 at the end if the adjudicator rules against you. Also, you need to be formally referred there by EJ or wait until 8 weeks after you first complained, whereas you can go to MCOL immediately if you wish.

I would strongly suggest MCOL if you do develop more confidence in your case - the fee is payable up front (I think it's about 60 for claims up to 500 - but you can easily check this on-line) but compared to CEDR it is way more worthwhile. EJ rang me up to settle my MCOL claim and paid it out weeks quicker than the claims which went via CEDR.

I would never use or recommend CEDR for airline ADR - they're a shambles IMHO.
    Originally posted by RibZed

Ah, that's really helpful - thank you! I'll keep you updated if I ever get a result...
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 7th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    fifeken
    I've already tried that. Unfortunately the search facility doesn't allow me to limit to easyJet thread. Just the whole forum page.
    When you have the thread open there's a "Search This Thread" option at the top which does what you want I think.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Jul 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    Ok thanks. I got an address when they quite quickly replied no compensation due. Which I knew but thought I'd give it a punt anyway !!!55357;!!!56833;

• beckybarnard
    • By beckybarnard 10th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckybarnard
    Case now closed!
    Quick update!
    Today I have received an email from EasyJet saying they have closed my case because I didn't respond within 28 days, even though I did respond by return email! The original email asked for bank details so they could pay the bits they deemed acceptable, which I didn't give as I didn't want them to pay and say I had accepted their offer, BUT they have made the payment anyway using the details they already had from the original form.

How can you deal with this level of stonewalling, ignorance and deception? I feel I need a wall to bang my head against.

I have tried Resolver but I guessing they will not respond to that. So my next step is CEDR or "As per an earlier post, send them a NBA advising them that you will issue an MCOL claim unless they reimburse you within the next couple of weeks" which RibZed suggested but I need to find out what that means!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 10th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Justice13075
    An NBA is a Notice Before Action sometimes also known as a Letter Before Action. It's where you inform them that if they don't pay up within 14 days you will start action against them in the small claims court. You do that by completing a money claim online. Just Google it
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Jul 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    JPears
    To find out you need to download Vauban's most informative guide.
    But in essence an NBA is a Notice before action. This is a statement that you are giving easyjet that no further correspondence will be sent prior to instigating MCOL.

MCOL is the online small claims procedure for suing the airline for money it legal owes you.
    My claim against EJ was sent by email on 5th July. I gave them 14 days to pay. I informed that if no payment I would send an NBA giving them another 14 days otherwise MCOL claim going in.
    Last edited by JPears; 10-07-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin