Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 145
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    jpsartre
    A. Is it worth me appealing?
    Originally posted by Philg1987
    If the cancellation was a direct consequence of the ATC strike, no. Your expense claim is another issue, easyJet has duty of care regardless of the reason why the flight was cancelled.
    • Philg1987
    • By Philg1987 5th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Philg1987
    Thanks for your response. I’ve just live chatted someone at Easyjet and they have said that my expenses claim has also been rejected, even though they said to me that I would be able to claim back what we spent for the extra 2 days...

Surely that cant be right? Any ideas where I go to next with this?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 5th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Ask them why they have rejected your claim and if you're not satisfied send them a letter before action and sue them
    • travellingred
    • By travellingred 12th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    travellingred
    Hi

I flew from Prague to Manchester on EZY1802 on 25th March. The flight was delayed 2 hours due to Easyjet reallocating aircraft. It arrived in Manchester at 00.43 in the morning, after the last train had departed from the airport station for the night.

I know that the delay wasn't long enough for the statutory compensation to kick in, however has anyone had any success in getting Easyjet to reimburse taxi fares incurred due to my inability to use my train ticket as a result of the delay?

Thanks!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 12th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    JPears
    Unlikley. Point to point airlines like EJ are not known for their goodwill. Their responsibilty ends at the point when you step off the aircraft.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • attila_
    • By attila_ 13th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    attila_
    Hi, I was one of the unfortunate 15,000 people that were caught on the fiasco at Stansted Airport on the 30 March 2018. A bus caught fire at the entrance and after 5-6 hours all flights were cancelled.

The confusion was like nothing I'd seen before.

I was booked on an Easyjet flight to Naples which was cancelled. The easyjet staff said at the airport to go through the easyjet website and all claims and expenses would be refunded including staying at hotels etc.

I managed to book a flight for the next day. I submitted a compensation claim for the original cost of the flight and the response I had is as follows:

Claim decision: Declined
    Decision summary: We’re sorry that your flight to Naples was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Surely Easyjet should be able to claim against Stansted Airport? Is there any way I can challenge their decision?

Thank you
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 13th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 11,156 Posts
    • 7,327 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I submitted a compensation claim for the original cost of the flight and the response I had is as follows:
    Originally posted by attila_
    maybe they thought you were claiming EU261 compensation (which would not apply) rather than a refund of your original ticket for the cancelled flight, which you are clearly entitled to.
    Expenses during the delay are covered under EU261 Duty of Care so this is what would be reimbursed but no fixed fee compensation from he airline
    • attila_
    • By attila_ 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    attila_
    Ah thank you very much! Indeed I have clicked refund on the easyjet and it just says refund pending. It just thought this compensation would override the refund.

In terms of claiming expenses - I had an hotel for the night but had to buy alternative flights to get to my destination in time which cost significantly more than the original ones which I hope to get a refund.

What are the chances of being able to claim the for the additional cost incurred due to the cancellation?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 13th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    legal magpie
    It's a matter for your insurance. The airline is hardly to blame for an airport bus catching fire
    • attila_
    • By attila_ 14th Apr 18, 3:01 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    attila_
    Quite, however I don!!!8217;t have any agreements directly with the airport. My agreement (the ticket) is with easyjet. They will surely have contracts with the airport that allows them to take off and land at that airport. I can!!!8217;t imagine they can just take off/land as they please without Stansted being paid.

So its not their fault but they weren!!!8217;t able to honour their flights to passengers, therefore I!!!8217;d expect easyjet to claim against Stansted and it will be a matter for their insurance.

Unfortunately I didn't take out travel insurance which I accept in hindsight was a mistake and probably not much I can do.
    Last edited by attila_; 14-04-2018 at 8:25 AM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    jpsartre
    So its not their fault but they weren't able to honour their flights to passengers, therefore I'd expect easyjet to claim against Stansted and it will be a matter for their insurance.
    Originally posted by attila_
    Claim what? EasyJet are not liable to pay delay compensation under EU regulations. If they did, it would be a goodwill gesture. You can't expect Stansted airport to cover a goodwill gesture made by somebody else.
    • helenar
    • By helenar 23rd Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helenar
    Compensation claim turned down by EasyJet!
    Hello all,

I wondered if you could help. Recently I was on a business trip to Vienna with EasyJet. On my return to the UK, the flight was severely delayed for nine hours. It was snowing where the airport here was opened and closed intermittently, trying to cope with the level of snow. However, on the text messages and EasyJet website, it said that the delay was due to the welfare of the crews, where the stand-by crew member took some time to reach the airport.

At the airport, we were only given a 5 Euros voucher. I had to spend an additional 15 Euros for food and drinks – bearing in mind Vienna isn’t cheap! On the plane, we were only entitled to soft drinks and snacks like Kit Kat. The treatment was poor.

I recently made a claim to EasyJet and they said that because of the weather conditions (and not because the fact that they had to replace the crew) they wouldn’t be able to pay me any compensation.

The question is – do they have the right to turn down the compensation claim? Is it worth escalating the complaint to CEDR and pay £25 for the fees?

Many thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 23rd Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    JPears
    Welcome to the forum.
    You should really re-post on the easyjet thread. With more details of your flight- dates. flight number, delay etc.
    Making your own new thread makes the forum very difficult to navigate.
    Thanks

• helenar
    • By helenar 23rd Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helenar
    Apologies for the incorrect posting!
    So here's the details of the flight:

Flight Number: 6082
    Flight Date: 18-03-2018
    Scheduled Departure Airport: VIE
    Scheduled Arrival Airport: BRS

Hope someone can help. Cheers.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 23rd Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    Justice13075
    EuClaim say you don't have any compensation due. Probably down to the weather. Put your flight details into bottonline and see what they say.
    • Gismocatgismo
    • By Gismocatgismo 25th Apr 18, 9:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gismocatgismo
    Easyjet Flight Cancellation
    On the 3rd March I was due to fly back from Salzburg to Bristol (EZY6290) after checking in at the airport and going into departures, the plane was finally cancelled technical reasons ...

Thankfully we were able to find accommodation locally as Easyjet unable to help (no staff), we booked flights via BA to Gatwick and got a hire car from gatwick to Bristol Airport the following day. This 'out of pocket' expense money has eventually been covered by Easyjet.

I also claimed for compensation under EC261 - but Easyjet claim now that it was adverse weather that caused the problem and therefore we are not due any compensation. However, whilst we were in departures at Salzburg a TUI flight took off from Bristol, flew to Salzburg and flew back to Bristol!!
    In addition to this bristol airport on their Facebook page for the day in question state that they are fully open.
    Our incoming flight from Bristol to Salzburg although it stated was boarding (on the Bristol Airport departures website) never actually took off because Easyjet decided to cancel all their flights.
    I also have a screen shots of the Easyjet website that claims the flight was initially delayed for technical reasons on the plane earlier that day and that it was then changed to another plane and that they would try to minimise the delay. Two hours later they cancelled the flight quoting that due to technical issues within the fleet they are cancelling the flight. Not once was there a mention of adverse weather which is the reason they are now quoting as to why I shouldn't get compensation.

Any advice welcome as to if it is worth pursuing with the CEDR as Easyjet in their last email to me (despite me sending copies of their own screen shots, Bristol Airports Facebook Page and a newspaper article stating that despite the airport being open Easyjet elected to cancel their flights that day) claimed that they had no further information to add...
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 25th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Hi Gismocatgismo,

Welcome to our world of flight delays.

It sounds like you have a valid claim under EC261/2004.

CEDR, is not favoured generally here, we just take them to court or use a good NWNF Solicitor.

First thing I would do is read Vaubans guide, then issue an NBA and see what response you get then come back and we’ll advise further.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • JPears
    • By JPears 25th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    JPears
    To add to Novice's comments - CEDR appear to come up with some unsual decisions in favour of either airlines or passengers. Use of the CEDR doesn't hamper further paths such as a NWNF firm or going to court yourself. But it will add time on to your claim.
    Presumably you are seeking a claim for: 1. duty of care expenses - hotel/food and drink. 2. Additional costs of BA flights and car hire?
    3. Compensation under regulation 261/2004?

• Gismocatgismo
    • By Gismocatgismo 25th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gismocatgismo
    Thanks both for your responses. We have received financial retribution for the additional costs (hotel, flights, car hire). But were wondering about compensation due to cancelled flight under 261/2004? Does this alter the advice that you have given? From reading your comments you think that NWNF may be better than CEDR? In which case do you have any recommendations for NWNF (assuming I need to go down that route after sending a NBA)?
    Last edited by Gismocatgismo; 25-04-2018 at 2:44 PM.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 25th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Thanks both for your responses. We have received financial retribution for the additional costs (hotel, flights, car hire). But were wondering about compensation due to cancelled flight under 261/2004? Does this alter the advice that you have given? From reading your comments you think that NWNF may be better than CEDR? In which case do you have any recommendations for NWNF (assuming I need to go down that route after sending a NBA)?
    Originally posted by Gismocatgismo
    Well from my point of view ‘right to care’ in the regs are separate to delay compensation, you will always have a ‘right to care’ even IF the delay is subject to a genuine EC.

To answer your question directly, I personally would issue an NBA, then go through CEDR, if not favourable then issue court proceedings or if your case is is really looking like intricacies about the regs and law then I would pass it over to a good NWNF Solicitor.

But good luck with your claim anyway.

EDIT - As to recommendations regarding a good NWNF Solicitor send the NBA, then come back, there’s only so much free advertising I can mention - blimey Jet2 thread is littered with my loose comments!
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 25-04-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

3,641Users online

Martin's Twitter