Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 138
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Just a quick query. The family and I were due to fly back from
    Charles De Gaul airport in Paris on Friday to bristol. However Bristol airport had been closed for most of the day as a plane came off the runway. However Bristol reopened at 18:00 and our flight was at 21:20 (20:20 GMT). Easyjet still cancelled it (and cancelled it bang on 19:20 when check in was due to open). They put us up in a Hotel and we flew the next day at 13:30.

Now Ive completed their claim form but Im assuming they will say the cancellation was not their fault as it was down to safety. But Id argue that the earlier flights they cancelled were down to safety as the Bristol runway was still closed but our flight was hours after it reopened and it was safe for us to fly.

Do I stand any chance of compensation?

Thanks
    Originally posted by carpy_uk
    Hi,

Yes, you have a good chance, see what they come back to you with, they might surprise us all for once!

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Chris_A_86
    • By Chris_A_86 28th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chris_A_86
    We had our flight cancelled yesterday (Bristol to Edinburgh). The reason given was "Due to poor weather conditions in Luton". This was around 8 hours before our flight was due to depart. We were offered flights the following afternoon, but owing to our need to be back before then, we decided to book onto another flight with another carrier (from Cardiff).

We were told during our attempt to rebook, that because EasyJet offered us a flight within 48 hours of our existing flight, and the cancellation was due to poor weather, we would be ineligible for compensation- but I would expect as the issue had nothing to do with either the departure or arrival airport, that would entitle me to make a claim?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 28th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Chris,

I would ask EJ for a final position letter or ask them to refer your claim to CEDR.

Explain the reason why you couldn't accept the flight 2 days later to CEDR and they will hopefully find in your favour.

https://www.cedr.com/aviation/

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    JPears
    And nothing in the regulation puts a 48 hour limit. Usual airline made up tosh.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • skeptical
    • By skeptical 28th Dec 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    skeptical
    Flight cancellation
    Hi Easyjet claim experts,

I really need your help and advice on this please.

I was booked on an Easyjet flight from BOD to LGW on 9 Sep 2017 at 9:45PM which was cancelled for the following reason:

The crew on your flight have reached their maximum legal working hours as a result of air traffic control restrictions earlier today. There are strict industry wide rules on the number of hours our crew is allowed to work. To protect the safety of our customers and crew these cannot be exceeded. As a result, we have had to cancel your flight.

An earlier update stated that our plane was delayed on an earlier flight it operated due to air traffic control restrictions because of congestion.

The next flight I managed to get on which got me to a different airport in London was ~20 hours later. After months of back and forth with Easyjet, where they repeatedly rejected my claim for compensation under EC261 citing that the ATC restriction was an extraordinary circumstance, I am wondering if I should go via CEDR. I've skimmed through tens of pages on this thread to see if a similar circumstance has occurred in the recent past but haven't found any.

I've already sent numerous emails to them on this challenging the rejection of my claim, escalating it via a hard copy letter to their CEO and have had it rejected by the executive support team.

Based on my description above of the reason for the cancellation, do you think I have solid ground for a claim?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 29th Dec 17, 12:00 AM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    JPears
    It sounds as if EJ knew well in advance that your crew would run out of hours.
    It was probably therefore their operational decision to cancel your flight rather than arrange adifferent crew.
    Suggest you take your case to ADR. Did EJ offer you an alternative flight?
    Did they give you a refund?
    If neither then you should claim for these and the additional cost of your alternative flight.

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Dec 17, 12:12 AM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi skeptical,

As your flight was not directly affected by any event which would exempt EJ from having to pay compensation, I believe that you have a valid claim.

Your flight, and possibly the prior flight coming out to pick you up, were cancelled for operational reasons, which may well be due to problems incurred earlier in the day. If that turns out to be the case then the onus is firmly on EJ not to allow that delay to be passed on to any further flights.

The regs expect them to do everything possible to prevent further disruption to passengers on later flights. LGW is EJ's main base and where the majority of their resources are, so they should have had the ability to make alternative arrangements to prevent knock on delays to other flights. They would have known about the possibility of the crew going out of hours many hours earlier and should have been prepared with a plan B.

It is their own inability to make alternative arrangements which will make them liable in this case.

CEDR is the best way forward, if that should fail you always have MCOL to fall back on.

Good luck.
    • skeptical
    • By skeptical 29th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    skeptical
    JPears - they did offer a full refund or an alternative flight. We were reasonably quick on the app and managed to rebook a flight out the next day. Not ideal but we did not know if we would be able to reclaim the additional cost of an alternative flight at that point and did not want to risk it.

Tyzap - Thank you for your opinion which echoes that of mine. EJ has already made this to be a very painful experience for us. They also refused to reimburse us for meals taken whilst we waited for our alternative flight and we spent a ridiculous amount of time (months!) trying to claim our money back. We finally got it back after escalating it to the CEO. It would seem they try to wear passengers down by repeatedly rejecting their claims (for unfounded reasons) so that we'd give up trying to claim our money back - which happened to two fellow passengers under the exact same circumstances less persistent than we were.
    • Hall90
    • By Hall90 2nd Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hall90
    Hi, I have been reading through a lot of these posts and am hopeful that someone on here can offer me some advice in regard to a delayed flight.
    I was due to travel from on EZY2452 from Stockholm to Luton on 27th December at 20:45. The morning of the flight I received a notification from easyjet saying they were experiencing delays due to snowfall the previous night in Luton. I kept checks on Luton's website and at 14:30 they issued a statement saying the airport and runway was now fully operational.

To cut a long story short(er), my flight was delayed by 3 hours and 21 minutes which the pilot explained was due to some snowfall in Luton delaying their earlier flights and causing a knock-on-effect to ours. When landing, we were left for another 35 minutes on the plane because the buses, required to transport us to the terminal, were currently in use the other side of the airport (the buses were empty and right behind the plane at the same time as we're being told this).

I have contacted Easyjet about this and they've told me I don't qualify for compensation because the delay was due to the runway being closed, which is out of their control. I agree that that would be out of their control, if it was true but it's not. Other flights from other airlines managed to land and take off at Luton and the airport themselves said the runways were open from 14:30, significantly earlier than my flights expected landing time of 22:10!

Do I have a possible case for compensation? I understand that weather comes under 'extreme circumstances' but there seems to be a bit of a grey area when the weather didn't affect your flight directly but delayed it due to a knock-on-effect?

Any help or advice on who I could speak to would be greatly appreciated.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    JPears
    Download and read thoroughly Vauban's guide. Answers are usually found there.

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 3rd Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi, I have been reading through a lot of these posts and am hopeful that someone on here can offer me some advice in regard to a delayed flight.
    I was due to travel from on EZY2452 from Stockholm to Luton on 27th December at 20:45. The morning of the flight I received a notification from easyjet saying they were experiencing delays due to snowfall the previous night in Luton. I kept checks on Luton's website and at 14:30 they issued a statement saying the airport and runway was now fully operational.

To cut a long story short(er), my flight was delayed by 3 hours and 21 minutes which the pilot explained was due to some snowfall in Luton delaying their earlier flights and causing a knock-on-effect to ours. When landing, we were left for another 35 minutes on the plane because the buses, required to transport us to the terminal, were currently in use the other side of the airport (the buses were empty and right behind the plane at the same time as we're being told this).

I have contacted Easyjet about this and they've told me I don't qualify for compensation because the delay was due to the runway being closed, which is out of their control. I agree that that would be out of their control, if it was true but it's not. Other flights from other airlines managed to land and take off at Luton and the airport themselves said the runways were open from 14:30, significantly earlier than my flights expected landing time of 22:10!

Do I have a possible case for compensation? I understand that weather comes under 'extreme circumstances' but there seems to be a bit of a grey area when the weather didn't affect your flight directly but delayed it due to a knock-on-effect?

Any help or advice on who I could speak to would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Hall90
    Hi,

If EJ were just slow or inefficient following early snow at LTN and other airlines were operating 'normally' you would have a case.

A knock on delay, caused by a previous problem, is not a valid excuse for EJ to refuse a compensation claim.

Keep pushing.

Good luck.
    • Leothecat
    • By Leothecat 3rd Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    Leothecat
    Hi,

I wonder if someone can offer some advice please?

My 81 year old aunt was due to fly from Belfast to stansted on the morning of 27.12.17. Due to the bad weather conditions in London the flight was delayed again and again throughout the day and then eventually cancelled altogether at approx 8pm.

My aunt sat at the airport for 10 hours with no information from EJ and no offer of food vouchers throughout this time.

Due to continued bad weather the flights on 28.12.17 were also cancelled. My aunt was offered the next available flight on the evening of 29.12.17 but as she would have been due to fly back early evening on 30.12.17 she decided the trip would not be worth it.

EJ are offering a refund of the outward flight and are saying that there should not have been any other food or drinks vouchers offered.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 3rd Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi,

I wonder if someone can offer some advice please?

My 81 year old aunt was due to fly from Belfast to stansted on the morning of 27.12.17. Due to the bad weather conditions in London the flight was delayed again and again throughout the day and then eventually cancelled altogether at approx 8pm.

My aunt sat at the airport for 10 hours with no information from EJ and no offer of food vouchers throughout this time.

Due to continued bad weather the flights on 28.12.17 were also cancelled. My aunt was offered the next available flight on the evening of 29.12.17 but as she would have been due to fly back early evening on 30.12.17 she decided the trip would not be worth it.

EJ are offering a refund of the outward flight and are saying that there should not have been any other food or drinks vouchers offered.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by Leothecat
    Hi leothecat,

No thats not correct. The cancellation of your aunts flight would probably be regarded as as an extraordinary circumstance due to the weather. In which case...

Care in extraordinary circumstances or exceptional events.
    According to the Regulation, the air carrier is obliged to fulfil the obligation of care even when the cancellation of a flight is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that is to say circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

After the first 3 hours she should have been given food and drink, or vouchers for the same. Right up to the time she opted for a refund she should have been looked after by EJ. If that was after ten hours then they should have supplied food and drinks appropriate to the time of day throughout that period.

If they didn't and she still has any receipts for meals etc that she had to buy herself, she can reclaim that from EJ. Given her age she should have been given some priority. EJ owes a duty of care to your aunt and they let her down, judging from what you say.

Good luck.
    • Leothecat
    • By Leothecat 3rd Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    Leothecat
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I thought as much tho wasn't sure so I shall chase it up with them.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    JPears
    And she should get a refund of both outward and return flights.

• knack92
    • By knack92 9th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    knack92
    Disappointed (and a bit surprised) that CEDR have sided with EJ in my case.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 9th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Originally posted by knack92
    Hi knack92,

Thats very disappointing.

What was their reasoning, can you post the details here or PM me if you prefer.
    • knack92
    • By knack92 9th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    knack92
    Hi knack92,

Thats very disappointing.

What was their reasoning, can you post the details here or PM me if you prefer.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Yes will pm you. Was planning to do so anyway but just had to post that quickly at work after reading the response.. though I wish Id waitied til I was home now for the sake of my productivity this afternoon!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 9th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Originally posted by knack92
    It's not that surprising really. There's likely nothing easyJet could have done to get you back quicker once the incoming flight was diverted. Just because your flight wasn't directly affected by weather doesn't mean your delay was due to non-extraordinary circumstances.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 09-01-2018 at 8:37 PM. Reason: typo
    • naf123
    • By naf123 10th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    naf123
    Hello.

My flight was cancelled by easyjet (no reason given) but I guess it was due to foggy (all flights at the airport was cancelled)

They bused us to a different airport 2 hours away and put us in a hotel overnight.

As I understand, I cannot claim compensation as it probably due to fog, but there was a slight issue - they never gave us food vouchers or food apart from the free breakfast at the hotel.

What exactly can I claim for?

Many thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin