Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 162
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 4th Mar 18, 5:40 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Now I’ve had an email about a flight I’m not even booked on

Dear Customer

Jet2.com and Jet2holidays have been monitoring the severe weather currently affecting Leeds Bradford Airport.

Taking all information that we have into account, Jet2.com and Jet2holidays have made the difficult decision to cancel flight LS315 Leeds Bradford to Paris today.
    Customers due to travel on this Jet2.com flight or a Jet2holidays package holiday using this service today are advised to contact 0333 300 0042 for further assistance.

We will be offering all customers a full refund of either their flights tickets (Jet2.com) or package holiday (Jet2holidays) or a change of flight/holiday to an alternative date. Any additional costs, such as car parking or road/rail transportation should be recovered via your travel insurer.

We sincerely apologise for these cancellations which are unfortunately beyond our control.

Customer Operations Team

Jet2.com
    Customer Services
    PO Box 284
    Leeds
    LS11 1GE
    by Jet2.com
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 4th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Yet another one, this time it is relevant to our flight. Notice slight variations from the cancellation letter from Thursday.

Dear Customer,

Jet2.com and Jet2holidays have been monitoring the Severe Weather that is currently affecting Leeds Bradford Airport.

Taking all information that we have into account, Jet2.com and Jet2holidays have made the difficult decision to cancel flight LS316 Paris Charles De Gaulle to Leeds Bradford today.

Customers due to travel on this Jet2.com flight are advised to contact the Alyzia team at Charles De Gaulle Airport or contact 0044 333 300 0042 for further assistance (Open Mon to Fri 08:00 to 21:00 and Sat/Sun 09:00 to 18:00).

We will be offering all customers a full refund of either their flights tickets or a change of flight to an alternative date where available.

Any additional costs, such as car parking or road/rail transportation should be recovered via your travel insurer.

Jet2holidays Package Holiday and City Break Customers:

Please contact our Kompas representative who will be waiting from 4pm at the Central Meeting Point in the airport.

We sincerely apologise for these cancellations which are unfortunately beyond our control.

Kind Regards

Customer Operations Team

Jet2.com
    Customer Services
    PO Box 284
    Leeds
    LS11 1GE
    by Jet2.com
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 04-03-2018 at 6:28 PM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    The cynic in me would suggest that this correction is seemingly disingenuous.
    The damage has already been done, the required effect achieved of Jet2 misleading their customers with the result they have avoided significant costs that they are legally and morally required to cover in their duty of care.
    A friend was due to fly from Leeds to Lanzarote on Thursday, the day after it snowed heavily. High winds and drifting. Kept hanging on before eventually cancelled after 6 hours of waiting. Other airlines cancelled far earlier. Next flight 48 hours later but allegedly told by staff that unable to rebook as no seats. Looked directly online, 2 seats available, higher expense, still not willing to rebook/reroute so friends booked independently. Jet2 now being arsey about making up the difference as they should do under re-routing regulations.
    Once again shame on you.
    Last edited by JPears; 05-03-2018 at 9:01 AM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 5th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    .........Looked directly online, 2 seats available, higher expense, still not willing to rebook/reroute so friends booked independently. Jet2 now being arsey about making up the difference as they should do under re-routing regulations.
    Once again shame on you.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Exactly JP, I was also told no seats available, which was simply untrue, I've also had to purchase NEW tickets, however I have not accepted a refund from any of my bookings as yet.

It will take me some time to work out the best way to word my claim to J2. I can imagine it will be a tightrope walk through the legislation.

However, that will be done over the coming days, hopefully with lots of help from yourself and others.

ohh and by the way I'm home

NoviceAngel

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 5th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Tyzap

It will take me some time to work out the best way to word my claim to J2. I can imagine it will be a tightrope walk through the legislation.

However, that will be done over the coming days, hopefully with lots of help from yourself and others.

NoviceAngel
    Originally posted by NoviceAngel
    J2's stance on not signing up to ADR may be a blessing in disguise.

You can take your claim straight to the CAA when they refuse your request for the repayment of costs and additional flights
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 5th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    J2's stance on not signing up to ADR may be a blessing in disguise.

You can take your claim straight to the CAA when they refuse your request for the repayment of costs and additional flights
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    That's something I didn't know - I didn't think that they dealt with complaints from individuals.- EDIT (I should add because the return flight did not return from a UK airport) I thought the route was still LBA and MCOL, I know it's been a rocky relationship with the CAA. Let's hope they are our friends again lol
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 05-03-2018 at 7:34 PM.

• JPears
    • By JPears 5th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    I think its the principle that Jet2 misinformed their customers, irrespective of the actual origin/destination that CAA might be interested in.
    I'm not holding my breath though.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 5th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I think its the principle that Jet2 misinformed their customers, irrespective of the actual origin/destination that CAA might be interested in.
    I'm not holding my breath though.
    Originally posted by JPears

You’re sooo old school JP, but so am I

• PomBear
    • By PomBear 5th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PomBear
    Given Jet2 haven’t met their obligations under EU261 but are, instead, their telling passengers to claim on their travel insurance, I am surprised the insurers haven’t cottoned on to this and challenged Jet2 through the courts... Now, there’s a thought
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 5th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Given Jet2 haven’t met their obligations under EU261 but are, instead, their telling passengers to claim on their travel insurance, I am surprised the insurers haven’t cottoned on to this and challenged Jet2 through the courts... Now, there’s a thought
    Originally posted by PomBear
    That’s a perfectly valid point of view, unfortunately the travel insurance companys are going to reject claims on that basis. And it really isn’t necessary for them to spend money on a court case, if they are not liable and the airline is, they will simply reject any claim.

I suppose it is down to the psssenger and not the insurance companies to ensure that they get either a fefund for the flight or the ‘care package’ until the next available flight

• PomBear
    • By PomBear 5th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PomBear
    That’s a perfectly valid point of view, unfortunately the travel insurance companys are going to reject claims on that basis. And it really isn’t necessary for them to spend money on a court case, if they are not liable and the airline is, they will simply reject any claim.

I suppose it is down to the psssenger and not the insurance companies to ensure that they get either a fefund for the flight or the ‘care package’ until the next available flight
    Originally posted by NoviceAngel
    Yes, you are right. Just checked my policy and it has the caveat ‘that you cannot claim from another source’ written in. I wonder how many passengers will have been completely screwed over by Jet2’s blatant misguidance?

Not sure if you are aware of the consumer rights programme ‘You & Yours’ that airs weekdays on Radio 4? Wonder whether you should flag it with them, NoviceAngel?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 5th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    If it can be shown that Jet2 systematically and deliberately misinformed their passengers about their legal rights it is possible that Which might try to make a supercomplaint. This should be in addition to any complaint to the CAA who are already narked with Jet2 for refusing to sign up to ADR. Of course, with his background, they might have just singled out NoviceAngel as a troublemaker. !!!55357;!!!56832; (The numbers were supposed to be a smiley face)
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 6th Mar 18, 12:06 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    ....... Of course, with his background, they might have just singled out NoviceAngel as a troublemaker. !!!55357;!!!56832; (The numbers were supposed to be a smiley face)
    Originally posted by legal magpie

Yeah smiley face problems too, you can!!!8217;t say can!!!8217;t you have to say cant - that sorted - me a trouble maker, well you wouldnt want to upset a trouble maker would you?

I would love to claim that benefit, and I haven!!!8217;t even issued the LBA yet !

Trouble maker is on the way lol

• legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 6th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Well, while this will be no comfort to those whose plans were messed up by the bad weather in the UK, Jet2 got us back from Lanzarote in comfort and the flight even landed 15 minutes early. And all the snow had gone. Good week to be away.
    • bevans
    • By bevans 7th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bevans
    Copy of letter I sent to jet2.
    Payment of 250 euros within 2 weeks.

"Hi,
    I was a passenger on flight LS286 from Geneva to Leeds/Bradford, boarding card/pass is attached.
    This flight was delayed over 3 hours and I wish to make a claim for compensation as per EU legislation 261/2004 to the value of 250euro as the flight was less than 1500km in distance.
    Please let me know if you require any further details,"

Very good service in this case!!!
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 7th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I've just written a lovely letter to Jet2 customer relations requesting just short of £1000.

I've have claimed for the hotel, taxi transfers and meals. I have deducted any alcohol and only claimed for soft drinks. Most of the cost is replacement flights, as Jet2 were only offering refunds and not re-routing or moving bookings onto another day. I've made it clear I want a refund from the additional flights purchased and not the original booked flight. We did everything we could to minimize costs. The hotel was a basic 3 star hotel, we purchased croissants for breakfast from a supermarket and even managed to have an evening meal at less than £20 per person.I haven't claimed for anything like metro fares during the days we were stranded, I'm not giving them wriggle room on this one. Of course a genuine EC, so no compensation there, I'm claiming duty of care.

I will also be sending Mr Haines at the CAA a copy of my claim and asking him to use their powers under the enterprise act. I'll post my covering letter to the CAA here later.

I've really no idea if my claim will be or wont be paid. However, if required I will start legal proceedings - let's hope it doesn't come to that again.

Are we taking bets ? Anyone think they will pay up without a fight this time. They should do it's a slam dunk of a case.

Cheers

NoviceAngel
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 07-03-2018 at 7:00 PM.

• King_Henrik
    • By King_Henrik 7th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    King_Henrik
    Jet2 severe weather response
    Our group were due to fly from Glasgow-Prague but flight was cancelled just 3 hrs before departure. I emailed them using the Resolver app and Jet2 have now responded advising they will only accept a written submission. As our flight was from cancelled, we hired a car and drove to Birmingham to catch a flight from there instead. Can anyone advise if we will be able to request compensation under EC 261/2004 as well as reasonable expenses inc car hire costs, food? Should i include any further information in support?
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 7th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Hi King_Henrik,

I hope you havent accepted a refund of your flights? Duty of care ends at that point.

You are not due compensation under EC261/2004 as severe weather is classed as a genuine EC. However, you are due duty of care, which involves re-routing, alternate flights, meals and transfers. Please read the last few pages of this thread. All your questions have been answered over the last few days.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Your-rights/How-to-deal-with-flight-disruption/

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 07-03-2018 at 9:18 PM. Reason: Added link courtesy of Tyzap

• $nake eye$
    • By $nake eye$ 10th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    $nake eye$
    Hello, I was due to be on a flight from Malaga to Leeds Bradford last week which was cancelled due to snow at LBA. We were given a flight 24hrs later and put up in a hotel, but can I still claim compensation?
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 10th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Hello, I was due to be on a flight from Malaga to Leeds Bradford last week which was cancelled due to snow at LBA. We were given a flight 24hrs later and put up in a hotel, but can I still claim compensation?
    Originally posted by $nake eye$
    In a word ‘NO’ severe weather is classed as an EC Extaordinary Circumstance - I guess you were on a package holiday with J2?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

9,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin