Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 162
    • JPears
    • By JPears 20th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    Welcome.

Probably not as weather affecting your flight.

Any refreshment costs non alcohol after more than 2 hours delay should be re-imbursed by Ryanair, if you have receipts.

Please repost in Ryanair thread, not your own personal thread which makes navigating the board more difficult.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • TemmyTemjin
    • By TemmyTemjin 20th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    TemmyTemjin
    Hello,

Details:

- Flight FR1162. London Stansted -> Belfast International

- Took off on time 09:40

- Due to land at Belfast International at 11:05

- Arrived to Ireland but couldn't land due to high winds

- Forced to land at Liverpool at 11:45

- Stayed in plane, grounded at Liverpool. No access to terminal bulding allowed.

- Plane stayed here until 17:40 (5 hours, 55'ish minutes)

- No free refreshments, or meal vouchers were provided (but purchases were allowed)

- Plane landed at Belfast International at 18:16 (7 hours, 11 minutes overdue)

Is there a valid case here under EU261? If so, do you have any advice about pursuing?

Thanks.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 20th Sep 18, 6:18 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    legal magpie
    No claim under the regulations but if you were kept on the aircraft against your will for nearly 6 hours this might constitute false imprisonment. I can't think of any reason to keep you cooped up in the aircraft for so long especially as you were on an internal flight. The only excuse might be if there was a possibility of a very short stop.
    I can only compare my own experience on an internal flight in Cuba 20 years ago. Our flight was diverted to another airport in Cuba because of a storm at our destination. After landing, we went into the transit area of the airport for about an hour until the storm had cleared.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 20th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi TemmyTenjin,

That is appalling, during the delay, at the very least, you should have been offered snacks and drinks as a part of their 'duty of care' obligations. If anyone was forced (by not being offered FOC) to purchase anything while trapped in that possibly illegal situation you should reclaim those costs from the airline.

I would also write to the CAA about the ridiculous way you were treated and also send a slightly amended version of it to Simon Calder at the Telegraph. This would be to bring further attention to the way the airline abuses passengers legal and human rights.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • TemmyTemjin
    • By TemmyTemjin 21st Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    TemmyTemjin
    Hi TemmyTenjin,

That is appalling, during the delay, at the very least, you should have been offered snacks and drinks as a part of their 'duty of care' obligations. If anyone was forced (by not being offered FOC) to purchase anything while trapped in that possibly illegal situation you should reclaim those costs from the airline.

I would also write to the CAA about the ridiculous way you were treated and also send a slightly amended version of it to Simon Calder at the Telegraph. This would be to bring further attention to the way the airline abuses passengers legal and human rights.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap

At the moment, I'm waiting until I can obtain the electronic receipts of purchases made on the plane. It seems Ryanair's policy is to not give physical receipts at the time, but make you obtain them online....a system which so far is claiming 'no purchases found'.

The cynic in me might believe Ryanair are very happy to make it harder for customers to obtain proof of purchase.
    • Romaness
    • By Romaness 21st Sep 18, 11:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Romaness
    You need to download Vaubans most excellent. Once read you will see that RA are bull !!!!!!!! you. You will now need to send on NBA before starting the ESCP process to go to court.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Evening all,

Sorry to dredge up my question/issue from months ago, but it's still ongoing and (as ever) I still need guidance...!

My problem, briefly summarised, was that

-- my Ryanair flight was delayed by over five hours (until a slot close to midnight)
    -- an arrival time of well after 1 am would have meant a difficult, expensive and potentially dangerous journey home; more importantly, I had next-day commitments and needed to get back at a reasonable time in order to prepare
    -- I had to book a rerouting flight via another company, the only one available at that time (350)
    -- at some point during my flight ( I only checked my texts upon arrival), the original Ryanair flight was cancelled, meaning that, had I waited for the new departure time, I would have been stranded at the airport until morning
    -- upon complaint via the Resolver feature, Ryanair offered (and immediately issued) a refund for my original flight, claiming I "chose not to fly" and therefore had no claim under EU261.
    -- the quote above, by JPears, was the last reaction I got from the board before summer.

And that's why I'm here again now -- I am ready, as I was then, to take this issue to small claims court; I didn't want to start proceeding right before August, but am now ready to do so.

My question now is: what am I legally entitled to claim for under these circumstances?
    -- my initial, and main, goal was to obtain compensation for the 350 I spent on the reroute.I wasn't particularly fussed about the fixed 200+ compensation, because I didn't, in fact, travel (or attempt to travel) on the delayed flight.
    -- Ryanair's justification that I'm not owed compensation because "I chose not to travel" and that the delayed flight was ultimately unable to depart because "of the airport closure, completely beyond the airline's power", really gets up my nose, though. 1) I had to travel, and luckily I made other arrangements, otherwise I'd have spent the night at the airport; 2) the airport's closure may well have been beyond the airline's power, but I doubt it would have been an issue if the flight hadn't been delayed by five hours.

Since small claims court does seem to be the only way of resolving this situation (surreally), I just want to make sure I am exact in my claim.
    -- Ryanair issued a 75 refund on my original flight. Whilst this was done without my approval or acceptance, it was issued, so I'd be willing to deduct that from any compensation. Is this a correct/reasonable approach?
    -- What compensation do I claim for, though? What I want is a reimbursement for my reroute ticket; would I be able to claim for the delay in addition to that? Or is it more realistic (and fair) to stick to a reimbursement claim?
    • ExtraJazz
    • By ExtraJazz 26th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ExtraJazz
    Hi everyone! Any tips on how to get Ryanair to actually pay out after they've promised to do so?

- Had a flight cancelled earlier in the year, leading to a 2-day delay.
    - Submitted EU261 compensation form on their website.
    - Received written confirmation from Ryanair on 18/07/2018 that we'd be paid 443.03 within 14 days.
    - 1 month later, hadn't received anything.
    - Went through their Customer Service live chat, who were apparently unable to look into it at all and only told me to fill out a complaint form. Which I did.
    - Received a written reply 2 weeks later, on 30/08/2018, only saying that 'a transfer had been issued' and to wait a bit more.
    - Now, over 2 months after their initial confirmation, I still haven't received any money.

When I contact them again, what are the magic words that I need to use to actually make them pay? Rather then just tell me again that they can't look into my case directly and that I should fill out another complaint form, wait another 2 weeks, just to be told again that the money is on its way... How to break the cycle?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 26th Sep 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi everyone! Any tips on how to get Ryanair to actually pay out after they've promised to do so?

- Had a flight cancelled earlier in the year, leading to a 2-day delay.
    - Submitted EU261 compensation form on their website.
    - Received written confirmation from Ryanair on 18/07/2018 that we'd be paid 443.03 within 14 days.
    - 1 month later, hadn't received anything.
    - Went through their Customer Service live chat, who were apparently unable to look into it at all and only told me to fill out a complaint form. Which I did.
    - Received a written reply 2 weeks later, on 30/08/2018, only saying that 'a transfer had been issued' and to wait a bit more.
    - Now, over 2 months after their initial confirmation, I still haven't received any money.

When I contact them again, what are the magic words that I need to use to actually make them pay? Rather then just tell me again that they can't look into my case directly and that I should fill out another complaint form, wait another 2 weeks, just to be told again that the money is on its way... How to break the cycle?
    Originally posted by ExtraJazz
    Hi,

They need a big reminder so read Dr Watsons great guide, just go to post 569 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 27th Sep 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    steve1500
    Ryanair have put two finger up to CAA regarding up coming cancellations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45657200
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Sep 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Ryanair have put two finger up to CAA regarding up coming cancellations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45657200
    Originally posted by steve1500

That will mean locking horns with the CAA, again.

I have no doubt at all that their refusal to pay compensation for strikes within their own business is a breech of regulation.

If they got their own 'house in order' they wouldn't have been having these problems.

It's now up to the regulators to make public their view and do what it says on the can, REGULATE!

This is a statement from the CAA issued in July...

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-statement-on-passenger-compensation-during-the-current-Ryanair-strike/?catid=4294967496
    Last edited by Tyzap; 27-09-2018 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Add CAA link
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 27th Sep 18, 9:57 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Not sure if this will work but it's good
    https://www.facebook.com/HaveIGotNewsForYou/?hc_ref=ARRHkxwjjIH4X1J9SkAxQtNBiMEyJdev6NmcNheOw4 ObDFV5MYtCXRx91y3SYL2hdn4&fref=nf&__xts__%5B0%5D=6 8.ARDVv3Z3_ZUmpD1gmVIUUofLnHB4hQ6nxSCkpMMM5r8LXvVu HPaJpVEH8NRkjRlQjtjYq_1EYhHaGKA_JPKuNu0q6ZkgUFpQlR P9_WahG22UxagpXm7dudoG-7kz2HQxYxqrjyKGl3lSHeLoc6go00Srj9PDUXfa5a_EHBkRBJL OxmIvAMg0eQg&__tn__=kCH-R
    • pocketslint
    • By pocketslint 27th Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    pocketslint
    Update;

Following on from my previous posts with regards to my claim. The equivalent of Eur 250 was paid into my account today. I have never had a problem with RA although I do appreciate that there are those that have. Is there an airline out there that doesn't falter at times?

ps Thanks for being here guys, your help is invaluable and greatly appreciated yet again.
    • tufty1909
    • By tufty1909 3rd Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tufty1909
    Cancelled flight Liability
    Hi,
    In July this year we had a 2 week family holiday flying out of Stanstead to Bari on the 14th and returning Bari to Stanstead on the 28th.

At 1500 hrs on the 28th Ryanair cancelled our flight and sent us a text to inform us of the cancellation, we then proceeded to Bari airport, Ryanair staff were reorganising several flights, we waited for two hours and were offered a flight to Rome and told we were on our own following that flight and a night in a hotel at their expense. we then booked a scheduled flight from rome via milan to London City At a total cost to us of 2,300. There were no direct low cost flights back to the uk at all.

on my return I put in a claim for the out of pocket costs and compensation through Resolver; I have had replies from Ryanair, but they are all stalling, and they are missing their own deadlines.

we didn't request a refund as we were given a flight, but not all the way home!

questions are:

1. Do Ryanair legally have to recompense my out of pocket costs or are these costs recoverable under insurance?
    2. Are we eligible for compensation through the scheme; bearing in mind this was the weekend that Stanstead airport was shutdown due to weather issues I believe?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 7,572 Thanks
    Caz3121
    sounds strange that they offered a Bari to Rome flight as a replacement for a Bari to Stansted (not sure I would have accepted that as an alternative)
    If the cancellation was due to the Stansted issue then there would be no EU261 compensation. Have you spoken to your travel insurance re the costs (I suspect you may have a long battle to get refunded by Ryanair so insurance probably the best way to go)
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Oct 18, 12:00 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    1. Almost certainly, especially if RA left you to it after Rome.
    Reg. 261/2004 puts the onus on the airline to get you back to the original aiport on your flight.
    2. If it was genuinely down to the Stanstead airpoprt issue, then possibly not.
    If you are getting no joy out of RA for all the additional expenses you incurred, it is now time to take the matter into your hands.
    Read up Dr Watson's excellent notes on safely taking RA through the ESCP legal process. I think you can find a link in Vauban's guide.
    I suspect the good Dr will be along shortly to open his surgery and issue a prescription.

• alfa145
    • By alfa145 4th Oct 18, 10:17 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    alfa145
    Strike Claim Rejected
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone could help me:
    Flights booked from UK from Malaga to Barcelona, due to depart on Friday 28th September in July 2018
    Email was sent on Tuesday 25 September notifying cancellation 3 days before flight, but was only read on Thursday 26th morning.

Website slow / unusable, mobile app the same, webchat would not connect, attempted to call customer services but was on hold for 30 minutes (at my cost), then call was just dropped.

Booked alternative flights at a considerable cost (~400 for 2 travellers) with Vueling airlines.

Upon return to the UK I filled in the compensation form for Ryanair, which was rejected:

We sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR6387 from Malaga to Barcelona El Prat on the 28/09/2018, which was caused by an unnecessary industrial action taken by crew and was outside of our control.

Ryanair have made all reasonable attempts to avoid this strike and we always take all the reasonable measures to minimise the disruption.

Providing our passengers with a punctual and reliable service is one of our principal aims. However, it is inevitable that there will be occasions when we are unable to operate our flights as scheduled due to extraordinary circumstances that are beyond our control.

We regret to advise you that in this situation we do not consider that any compensation is payable under Regulation EU261.
    They referred to the Aviation ADR scheme - I lodged through that, but as the flight did not leave or depart from the UK they said they cannot process the claim.

What would be my next best step to attempt to recover the additional cost of the alternative flights, phone calls, time spent, etc?

Thanks
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone could help me:
    Flights booked from UK from Malaga to Barcelona, due to depart on Friday 28th September in July 2018
    Email was sent on Tuesday 25 September notifying cancellation 3 days before flight, but was only read on Thursday 26th morning.

Website slow / unusable, mobile app the same, webchat would not connect, attempted to call customer services but was on hold for 30 minutes (at my cost), then call was just dropped.

Booked alternative flights at a considerable cost (~400 for 2 travellers) with Vueling airlines.

Upon return to the UK I filled in the compensation form for Ryanair, which was rejected:

They referred to the Aviation ADR scheme - I lodged through that, but as the flight did not leave or depart from the UK they said they cannot process the claim.

What would be my next best step to attempt to recover the additional cost of the alternative flights, phone calls, time spent, etc?

Thanks
    Originally posted by alfa145
    Hi alfa145,

You will probably have to go down the ESCP route, see Dr Watsons great guide for details...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64457359&postcount=622

The CAA have clearly stated that RA should pay costs and compensation under these circumstances but you will have to DIY with Dr Watsons help.

Good luck.
    • alfa145
    • By alfa145 4th Oct 18, 11:48 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    alfa145
    Thanks, very useful guide. Do I need to start at the LBA stage 1 if I have already completed the online reimbursement and failed?

Should I be claiming for just compensation which will just about cover the additional expenses minus the original flight cost, or for expenses and compensation?

Thanks

Edit: this template letter? http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/attachment/flightdelaytemplateletter.rtf

Edit: Google found Vauban's guide - should learn to read!
    Last edited by alfa145; 04-10-2018 at 1:02 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Oct 18, 12:39 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    alfa.
    You should be claiming:
    1. Compensation under regulation 261/2004. Amount dependent of journey length and type. Yours is probably Euro250 per person.
    2. Your additional re-routing costs as Ryanair failed to re-route you.
    There maybe 2 separate online claim forms with Ryanair.
    Have you claimed a refund? If not, don't.
    Did Ryanair unilaterally refund you?

There would appear to no excuse for RA not to pay. As Tyzap has mentioned, the CAA have stated clearly that internal RA strikes are NOT a valid EC, despite RA's protestations and unlawful stance.
    Send a final claim marking it as an NBA or LBA (same thing) with 14 days notice.
    In the meantime, read, re-read Vauban's excellent guide and Dr Watson's notes on the ESCP process.

• alfa145
    • By alfa145 4th Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    alfa145
    Thanks
    I did the online form for both expenses and compensation, but only the compensation was mentioned in the reply.
    I didn't claim a refund, but in the rejection letter it stated that a refund as been processed. So I presume I will just deduct this from the total expenses claim amount.

Where can I find Vauban's guide?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

39Posts Today

4,255Users online

Martin's Twitter