Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 158
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 22nd Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    Thanks for all of your responses. Would you advise of escalating it to ADR or simply writing to the CAA informing them of Ryanairs refusal to comply with EU law and the CAA’s rules?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 22nd Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    With Ryanair, it may be a good option to go via the ADR as thier decision, if unfavourable to you, isn't binding on you and you caan progress through the ESCP.
    You can and should write a letter of complaint to the CAA but its unlikely to benefit you individually. CAA have washed their hands of this whole sorry state of affairs and will just direct you to the ADR.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Money Man
    • By Money Man 22nd Aug 18, 9:24 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Money Man
    The only people who will force Ryanair to pay are the courts. I wonder of Bott&Co or EuClaim are planning on going down that route.
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    So in short, nobody has been successful in getting a pay out for a cancelled flight due to the pilot strikes, is that an accurate summary?

In which case I just submitted a claim via Resolver but would simply expect to receive a rejection.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 22nd Aug 18, 10:45 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Tyzap
    So in short, nobody has been successful in getting a pay out for a cancelled flight due to the pilot strikes, is that an accurate summary?

In which case I just submitted a claim via Resolver but would simply expect to receive a rejection.
    Originally posted by Money Man
    The CAA say they should pay up and Ryanair say they won't.

I would put an EU261 claim via the Ryanair website where you may still get a rejection until they are forced to accept strike claims by the regulator or the court. It may take some time but you have 6 years in the UK.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 23rd Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Looks like Ryanair and the Pilots union have come to an agreement which is being put to a ballot. Hope this solves the dispute. But on the horizon for Ryanair will be court cases involving compensation for the canceled flights.
    • backo
    • By backo 24th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    backo
    just wanted to post a successful claim against ryanair

Flight delayed 6 hours due to plane making emergency landing earlier in the day due to technical fault and we had to wait for next available plane.

Claim submitted using resolver on 10th August, received holding email from ryanair 5 days later saying there were busy and then received their agreement to the claim on the 23rd with funds to be wired to my bank account in next 10 working days.

wasn't the nicest experience being delayed with two young kids as we didn't arrive at our villa till 3am rather than 9pm but the 4 x 400 euros is a nice result.

Also, we received text messages at the airport from ryanair confirming 5 euro snack vouchers were loaded to our boarding cards. Not much you can buy for 5 euros in the restaurants at the airport so i didn't use them but spent 50 euros at a restaurant on a meal for the 4 of us......I included this with the claim explaining they were reasonable considering the high cost of food and drink at an airport and they have refunded this cost as well.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 24th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi backo,

Thats a very good result and how a claim should work, thanks for the update
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 24th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    Well done. A surprising result.

Why do RA insist on a €5 voucher knowing full well that any food and drink is considerably more?

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 24th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Well done. A surprising result.

Why do RA insist on a 5 voucher knowing full well that any food and drink is considerably more?
    Originally posted by JPears
    Because, just like delay compensation, it will deflect many from claiming for additional duty of care costs, which of course you are entitled to. Call it a cost saving measure, something Ryanair are very good at!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 24th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    Given that it is now 14 years since 261/2004 became law, I think we can assume the CAA are never going to do anything at all, constructive, punative or otherwise to stop the airlines abusing the law and passengers.

Sad state of affairs.

• EdwinaG
    • By EdwinaG 28th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EdwinaG
    I recently claimed a refund from Ryanair for a cancelled flight to Nuremberg, plus compensation for the cancellation (under EU261/2004 Regulation), and additional expenses incurred in getting to Nuremberg in time for departure of a River Cruise on the Danube. Ryanair have refunded the cost of my flight, and in a second letter, they have given me 223.05, representing compensation in accordance with EU261/2004 Regulation. My claim was for considerably more than this amount, but they informed me that "once the refund option has been accepted, Ryanair has no further liability for the extra expenses incurred by the customers". Does anyone know if I can challenge this? My alternative route to get to Nuremberg on time was a nightmare - not to mention the added cost and an injury sustained on the journey! I feel extremely let down by Ryanair - can anyone suggest a way forward? (PS: I have claimed on my travel insurance)
    Last edited by EdwinaG; 28-08-2018 at 1:25 PM. Reason: missed punctuation.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    Usual bovine excrement from Ryanair. If RA did not offer you a re-routing option you are well within your rights to book it yourself and expect Ryanair to pay the difference.
    I'm guessing Ryanair didn't offer you a re-route with a different airline? In which case they cannot make this claim.

I presume you claimed the difference between your original and new flight?
    Unfortunately you will probably have to progress this through the ESCP system

• jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    jpsartre
    My claim was for considerably more than this amount, but they informed me that "once the refund option has been accepted, Ryanair has no further liability for the extra expenses incurred by the customers". Does anyone know if I can challenge this?
    Originally posted by EdwinaG

You probably can but you've made it difficult for yourself by requesting a refund. The choice is between a refund or rerouting, you cannot have both.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    Unlerss you have just claimed the difference and the refund.
    Howevber as Ryanair as well as most airlines do not expalin the options or offer them to you (even though they are legally obliged to), hopefully a judge will look kindly on you and less so on the airline.

• jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Howevber as Ryanair as well as most airlines do not expalin the options or offer them to you (even though they are legally obliged to), hopefully a judge will look kindly on you and less so on the airline.
    Originally posted by JPears

Agreed, that's why I think there's room to challenge it. But it's less straightforward and will probably require legal action as you said above.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    In my case I have actually claimed the difference between the extra flight costs and the original flight cost. Well after I submitted my claim to easyjet then MCOL, I then claimed the refund.

I guess I've overcomplicated it to an extent. It just seemed the logical thing to do at the time.
    By the way EJ you've got 7 days to get your defence in....
    Last edited by JPears; 28-08-2018 at 5:15 PM.

• MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 30th Aug 18, 10:58 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    Hi. I have a quick question

My flight had been cancelled last week but i didnt get a chance to check in. I had been willing to pay but when i got to the check in desk i was told that there was a possibility it was cancelled so i waited before i paid.

I have gotten a refund and have a requested EU compensation- will i get this as i have gotten a refund and not checked in?

I am pretty sure it was a mechanical fault but i am unsure as i cant find a way to see if it was.

Please help.

Ryanair are terrible.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 30th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Unless you missed the check-in deadline and was noted as a no-show, it has no bearing on your right to compensation that you weren't checked in.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 30th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    JPears
    miraculous.
    Welcome.
    Please could you explain more clearly, your message is a bit garbled?
    And with dates/times, airports/flights etc.

• MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 30th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    i wasnt able to check in on my phone and went to airport, knowing that i would be down the check in at the airport fee.

When i got there, i tried to check in and the lady at the desk warned me that it may be cancelled.

I did not check in as i didnt want to pay for a cancelled flight but they didnt have a definitive answer till after check in closed so it may look as a no show. i did manage to get a refund though so would that not have shown up as me being a no show too?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,397Posts Today

4,797Users online

Martin's Twitter