Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 153
    • PomBear
    • By PomBear 3rd Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    PomBear
    Unfortunately just a year on the $24.99 subscription. I think youll struggle to get data further back.
    • UncleH
    • By UncleH 5th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UncleH
    Help for ryanair cancellations
    I'm a 'newby' here so forgive me if I repeat someone else's thread.
    I recently (a week ago) booked for a return from Manchester to Poland and had to take three separate flights. For family reasons I may have to cancel and spoke (by live chat) to their Customer Service (that is an oxymoron) about this here is a transcript:

Hi my name is xxxxxx, welcome to Ryanair Customer Support. I would be happy to help you with your query. Please stay connected while I review your query and reservation details.

Me:
    Hello I have just booked three flights to and from Manchester to Poland and family problems mean that I may have to cancel (rescheduling is not an option) they are
    MAN - CGN xxxxx 23/09/18
    CGN - WMI xxxxx 23/09/18
    WMI - MAN xxxx26/09/18
    Can you tell me what my options are please?
    Sorry I meant to say, 'Hello'

Are you still there?

Helloooo!
    XXXXX

Let me apologize for keeping you waiting, I was just checking this for you.
    We do not have a cancellation policy, so your flight cannot be cancelled. This means, that even if you notify us, your flight will not be removed from your existing reservation.

Me:What about transferring them to another flight?
    !xxxxx

Unfortunately, That is not possible. Sorry.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me:No thank you.
    Delivered

Can anyone help?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    JPears
    Nothing you can do, you pay your money to Ryanair, you fly or you don't. No refunds or changes UNLEES there is an issue with your flight(s) causing cancellation or severe delay
    So maybe keep an eye on the flights you aren't taking.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Gecko05
    • By Gecko05 8th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gecko05
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help. Me and my partner are currently in Berlin we were due to fly back to Manchester on Friday but the Ryanair flight has been cancelled due to strikes by Her main pilots.
    We have rescheduled our flight back with Ryanair for Sunday morning. Obviously as we will be here an extra 2 days we will incur extra expenses. What in regards to hotel, travel, food etc will we be covered for or is it a case of receiving a standard amounts based on the timeframe? The delay will be for 42 hours.
    I've looked for information but just wanted a bit more clarity. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Stuart
    • Honest Jaq
    • By Honest Jaq 8th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Honest Jaq
    Claiming for alternative airline 'flight and expenses'
    Hello.

My Ryanair flight from Bournemouth to Alicante was cancelled in June whils the plane was on the runway. It was due to depart 17;30, they informed us around 18:15 and by the time I got my luggage and was out the airport, it was around 19:00. I called their customer services, but it appears they had closed for the day. I then went home and attempted to rebook a flight.

I first tried to choose the next flight to/from same destinations but it had already been filled up. The next after that would be at least three days later, but it would not let me make the change online. I have a screenshot for this.

I also tried 'nearby' airports, namely Gatwick and Stansted but the following days flights to Alicante were also full. Again, I took screenshots.

Having read the terms & conditions many times, I chose to use an airline that they share with, Eurowings, and flew from Heathrow the next day.

I never chose to claim a refund for the original flight. Weirdly enough, I only had the option to on the mobile app. for one day. I filled out and sent in the EU261 compensation form, which included expenses I had incurred, the alternative flight costs, and ticked the box to claim for cancellation.

I have now received a letter and cheque to the amount of 221. I am confident this is solely for cancellation.

Possibly, I have to use another form, etc., and that is why they ignored my other claims. Maybe they are ignoring them as I didn't rebook direct with Ryanair, but this was not possible for different reasons, at their end.

Still, I would appreciate greatly, if anyone could point me in the right direction to reclaim the costs I have already sent to them.

Many thanks!
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 2,890 Thanks
    boatman
    "the delay was caused by adverse weather conditions which is an 'extraordinary circumstance' and is therefore an absolute defence to the requirement to pay compensation under the Regulations."

Anyone care to give a definition of 'absolute defence'?

I'm thinking that they feel they need give no other explanation or have to explain their actions because 'weather' over rides the complete lack of action on their part to keep the flight to time.

Regardless of the facts. 98% of flights delayed no more than 30 minutes on the day but they can blame a more than 3 hour delay on weather and refuse to pay compensation.

Does anyone have access to:

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/historical-flight/departing/STN/2015/01/30

Would greatly appreciate seeing the data!

This is the complete defence offered by Ryanair:

"we have investigated and I can confirm you that FRxxxx on the 30/01/2015 was delayed due to snow in the early morning in Stansted.(see weather report uploaded) ; this affected all daily operations.
    So customer is not entitled to EU261compensation.
    Weather report:
    https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGSS/2015/1/30/DailyHistory.html"

Now please tell me where in that mentions 'absolute defence', so either Aviation ADR are hiding the full defence from me, which they shouldn't, or they have made it up? "The Airline also says that there were no reasonable measures they could have taken to limit or avoid the delay", again, where did that come from, never seen it in their defence?

Ryanair could do nothing? Really?? In their home base they couldn't manage to avoid a more than 3 hour delay. They have flights leaving every 15 minutes all day long yet cannot avoid a 3 hour delay, come on, pull the other one.

In order to be exempted from the payment of compensation the carrier must therefore simultaneously prove:

the existence and the link between the extraordinary circumstances and the delay or the cancellation, and

the fact that this delay or cancellation could not have been avoided although it took all reasonable measures.

How does Ryanair's defence of a weather report link satisfy these requirements?
    The whole thing is an absolute joke!!
    Last edited by boatman; 08-08-2018 at 6:26 PM. Reason: ii
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    JPears
    Gecko - In an ideal world according to the regulations, Ryanair should find and pay for hotel. They are also responsible for food and non alcoholic drinks expenses.
    Last edited by JPears; 08-08-2018 at 6:21 PM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Boatman,

That phrase is one created to suit Ryanair's defence, it's not in any regulation.

There is no neat blanket coverage that excludes the payment of compensation due to weather. Each case must be looked at on it's own merits, as the weather conditions change all the time.

You need to find out what the weather was like when your flight was due for departure and if other airlines were able to depart and arrive. Did the incoming aircraft divert to another airfield etc

RA will fight cases such as this because, probably, thousands of claims are at risk from that day.

If you can come up with some convincing evidence to support your claim you will need to take them to AviationADR or ESCP.

It is they who must prove to a court that an EC existed, not you who must prove that it did not. It's not so easy for them when under oath.

As I'm sure you realise, RA make it as difficult as possible to claim. You will need determination and grit to see any compensation from them.

Sorry, I don't have a Flightstats subscription.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • haventearnedit
    • By haventearnedit 9th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    haventearnedit
    Spain by ferry is so expensive
    New poster here looking for some advice! Are there any ways to get a Ferry to Spain via car and save some money? The cheapest I could find is a 500 return. I would fly but I hate flying and I suffer from a panic disorder so probably not advisable anyway.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 21,162 Posts
    • 16,980 Thanks
    agrinnall
    When? How many people? What size car? From which UK port to which Spanish port?

If you did fly then you wouldn't have your car with you so you'd have to factor in hire charges if you need one.
    • PDC
    • By PDC 9th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    PDC
    This is around the average of prices I've seen. We've looked a few times over the years and the prices to Spain have always been quite high, enough to put us off. A Ferry to France would be much cheaper - normally in the 50-100 range but then you've a lot of miles to cover to get to Spain.

Perhaps taking a ferry without the car and then hiring a car at the other end may work out cheaper?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Robin9
    Driving through France is an option - you would need to factor in the fuel costs, meals on route and possibly an overnight stop.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 12,412 Posts
    • 8,476 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    The cheapest way to get there would be Eurolines: a bus from London that would pass through the tunnel and then take you across France.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 9th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    isplumm
    New poster here looking for some advice! Are there any ways to get a Ferry to Spain via car and save some money? The cheapest I could find is a 500 return. I would fly but I hate flying and I suffer from a panic disorder so probably not advisable anyway.
    Originally posted by haventearnedit
    look at joining Brittany Ferry club voyage - you can get some decent discounts via them.

Mark
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Its a frequent Question and there are other forum people out there who can help you with their "Club Voyage" number which save a little; see many of the posts at
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5671798&highlight=brittany+ferrie s

But, as a regular Brittany Ferries customer I'd observe that by the time you factor in the short crossing cost, fuel, tolls, stress on you and the car and a hotel in France, driving the extra 400-600 miles isn't much cheaper (see the fuel / toll /route calculators at viamichelin.com )

And as I've said a few times (e.g post #8 at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480847&highlight=brittany+ferrie s )
    there are ways to save on BF:

If you book even three nights accommodation with them (click the 'holidays' button not 'ferry' or whatever on their website) , the ferry crossing price falls so much that in effect, the hotel or cottage is free.

Also, they have a little publicised early booking discount period, for about a 4-5 weeks in, usually late Nov, or Dec or Jan each year. This meant that while a return car crossing only, with a basic inside cabin with bunk beds is about 600-800, we paid under 950 this May for a fortnight away. This included 12 nights B&B in exceptionally good hotels, a cabin upgrade each way (which usually costs 240 extra) to an 'outside large 2/4 berth'; so, a proper window, sea-view and no climbing ladders!

It's really worth upgrading, as the basic inside cabins are a bit tight- albeit adequate with ensuites. Don't even think of travelling without a cabin as that's no fun!

For us, the 24 hour crossing's part of the hol, so we also push the boat out (so to speak) and eat in their excellent on-board restaurant from about 25 a head; especially as dining out in Northern Spain is very cheap right now, even with a depressed pound

You can book a couple of different accomodations en-route; easy to find on the planning map tool on their website (multi-site trips are best then booked by phone via their helpful call centre staff).

Or opt for their slightly cheaper 'no-frills' boats (not much cheaper so why bother) or cost a trip out to Caen or another French port and back from Spain- We did that one year when their boat broke the day before our planned trip; 10 hours through France but it did cost at least 200 on fuel & tolls which they refunded as well as giving us a free hotel night in La Rochelle mid way!

Buon viaje
    • antenna
    • By antenna 9th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    antenna
    It is only worth joining Brittany Ferries Club Voyage if you make 2 or more return trips per year.
    Driving from dover....look at the costs. one way.....ferry 50,France tolls at least 60 could be 80,petrol/diesel to spain border 60/70...so around 220/250..............if you try to avoid tolls it can take you an extra 6 hours..............I used to drive Romford to Malaga every year thru France,but now i use brittany ferries using the "economy" service,takes 2/3 hours longer but it is a very good service
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • DrA_Harrogate
    • By DrA_Harrogate 10th Aug 18, 10:38 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    DrA_Harrogate
    Ryanair strikes - unhelpful article?
    I guess this thread is going to be busy with another flock of Ryanair strikes occurring. There was (another?) pretty unhelpful article in today's Daily Mail saying in the headline that numbers of passengers were 'failing' to get compensation using ADR. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6043725/Only-14-Ryanair-passengers-got-compensation-delays-2017.html). If you read the article the tale fogs up a little as the sad story is explained. There seems to be a rash of 'don't bother claiming against Ryanair' stories.... wonder how that happened?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 10th Aug 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Tyzap
    The regulations for delayed flights, and more particularly the regulators who design them, are an utter disgrace.

Let me make some suggestions to the regulators to simplify and improve things.

1) Qualifying delays would automatically mean compensation for all passengers, no claim required.

2) One single ADR entity, per EU country, to adjudicate on whether a whole flight would qualify.

3) 1/euro1 (slightly negotiable) paid to the airline for delay insurance/levy, per sector flown.

That way it would stop all the arguments and court cases and give a strong incentive for the airlines to improve flight reliability. If this caused the airline industry to collaborate more it would also help.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 10-08-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 10th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 2,890 Thanks
    boatman
    Hi Boatman,

That phrase is one created to suit Ryanair's defence, it's not in any regulation.

There is no neat blanket coverage that excludes the payment of compensation due to weather. Each case must be looked at on it's own merits, as the weather conditions change all the time.

You need to find out what the weather was like when your flight was due for departure and if other airlines were able to depart and arrive. Did the incoming aircraft divert to another airfield etc

RA will fight cases such as this because, probably, thousands of claims are at risk from that day.

If you can come up with some convincing evidence to support your claim you will need to take them to AviationADR or ESCP.

It is they who must prove to a court that an EC existed, not you who must prove that it did not. It's not so easy for them when under oath.

As I'm sure you realise, RA make it as difficult as possible to claim. You will need determination and grit to see any compensation from them.

Sorry, I don't have a Flightstats subscription.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Thanks for your reply. With regard to the flight, it was over 4 hours late leaving/arriving, the aircraft was not used previously on that day or the previous night, I suspect it was dragged out of maintenance because the original plane for that flight was delayed/cancelled. I have spent 6 months going through Aviation ADR and they have produced a draft adjudication that is a joke.

As for 'proving' EC, ADR have, without evidence from Ryanair, stated, there was nothing Ryanair could do. Ryanair have provided nothing except a website weather report link, so it is impossible for ADR to state it as EC. For that to happen RA are required by the regulations to produce evidence, they haven't, nothing.

I cannot see the link given by ADR for the Stansted departures because you need a subscription, but as far as I can remember flights were leaving with a short delay, certainly not 4 hours.

ADR have clearly not considered this on an individual basis, all they can see is bad weather, therefore I can't claim, hence why they have lied about Ryanair not being able to do anything. For starters, it looks like they got the plane out of maintenance, so there was 'something' they could do, but not mentioned in their defence.
    Last edited by boatman; 10-08-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: ii
    • panda_jamie
    • By panda_jamie 10th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    panda_jamie
    Letter from RA for travel insurance
    Hi everyone,

I have put in a claim to my travel insurance to try and recoup some of the expenses and lost parking etc following cancellation of my flightl

Insurance company has asked for:
    Written confirmation from the airline stating when was the next alternative flight would have been provided to you following the cancellation.

The letter i have from RA simply says refund or transfer to another flight. When i tried to transfer there was no availability for the next 3 days at least. Of course i didn't screen grab that as was too busy trying to get another flight!

Does anyone have a customer services email? I am sure they won't provide this letter but worth a try.

I already have a resolver claim with them so don't really want to use that process as it may mess things up. I have just put an ADR claim inas RA won't accept my claim.

Thanks for any input

Helen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,100Posts Today

9,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin