Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 35
    • Big dave
    • By Big dave 23rd Nov 18, 6:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Big dave
    My daughter had her flight from Southend to Dublin cancelled 3 hours before the flight was due to leave on the 16th Nov due to the flight being grounded in Dublin because of "the weather condition on the east coast of Ireland". Because of this, she has been told she cannot claim compensation.

I've 2 questions.

1. As the the plane and "the weather conditions" were not in the country of departure, why can't she claim?

2. I've checked the weather for Dublin on the day before and the day of the flight and cannot see anything unusual with it. Are Flybe just fobbing her off?
    Last edited by Big dave; 23-11-2018 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 23rd Nov 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Tyzap
    My daughter had her flight from Southend to Dublin cancelled 3 hours before the flight was due to leave on the 16th Nov due to the flight being grounded in Dublin because of "the weather condition on the east coast of Ireland". Because of this, she has been told she cannot claim compensation.

I've 2 questions.

1. As the the plane and "the weather conditions" were not in the country of departure, why can't she claim?

2. I've checked the weather for Dublin on the day before and the day of the flight and cannot see anything unusual with it. Are Flybe just fobbing her off?
    Originally posted by Big dave
    Hi Big Dave,

In a word - YES.

I looked at flights going into and out of Dublin during the morning, afternoon and evening on 16th. There were no indications of any problems at all, no diversions, no holding, therefore no bad weather.

Their excuse is not a valid EC (reason to refuse compensation)

Flybe are in financial dire straights, as a result they may be doing everything they can to deflect claims.

Push them again, stating that there were no weather related problems that day, if they still refuse ask for a referral to AviationADR, who will independently adjudicate on her case, in her favour imo.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/completing-the-form/

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Big dave
    • By Big dave 24th Nov 18, 12:01 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Big dave
    Thanks, I'll tell her to contact them again.
    • bettybelle
    • By bettybelle 24th Nov 18, 5:27 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    bettybelle
    Advice please
    I was due to fly out of Belfast City to Leeds Bradford last night at 1840. The flight was originally delayed to 2025. No probs, we thought, we’ll just hit the bar. Into our 2nd drink at around 8pm, the flight was cancelled due to “operational reasons” The next flight we could get on was 1005 this morning.
    We had driven to the airport & parked our car. Due to having drinks we had to get a taxi home (luckily we live in Belfast), & ditto, another taxi this morning.
    The 1005 was delayed til 1140 and we finally got to Leeds 18 hrs later than planned. We had prepaid our hotel room so we have paid for a night we didn’t get to use.
    We are out of pocket for the taxis to/from airport and the hotel room. Flybe are saying now the flight was cancelled due to poor weather in Leeds and the Belfast “curfew”, does this mean I can’t get compensation?
    Last edited by bettybelle; 24-11-2018 at 5:51 PM.
    • bettybelle
    • By bettybelle 24th Nov 18, 5:51 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    bettybelle
    Edited to add - it seems a bit suspicious as the flight before was delayed and it seemed all those passengers got on “our” plane....
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 24th Nov 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your details into Euclaim and then bottonline and see what they say
    • JPears
    • By JPears 24th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 4,445 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    JPears
    There was NO bad weather in Leeds yesterday.
    Flybe usual ballcocks.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • bettybelle
    • By bettybelle 25th Nov 18, 3:06 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    bettybelle
    I suspected ballcocks too! Also their rubbish about the Belfast curfew, it’s usually 930 but can be extended to midnight 🙄 So the delayed flight still had plenty of time to enter/leave Belfast.

I’ve sent a claim via Resolver 🤞🏻
    • JohnJaques
    • By JohnJaques 21st Dec 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnJaques
    Another request for advice
    We were due to fly out of Paris CDG on 23rd November (last month) at 09:35, returning to Southampton after a short break in the city. The flight was cancelled with no explanation. We were given vouchers for lunch at the airport, put up in a nearby hotel and we departed the next morning. So I made a claim, via MSE's Resolver tool, for compensation under EC regulation 261/2004.

It is worth noting that there was fog at Paris CDG that morning and all Flybe flights to other destinations such as Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle and Edinburgh were also cancelled. You can imagine how long the queue was at Flybe's service desk was and it was 3 hours before we reached the front and were able to speak to a company representative.

It is also worth noting that ALL other flights to destinations around the world were departing - mostly on time. It was only Flybe flights that were cancelled, as far as we could see on the departure board. We had plenty of time to watch that departure board while queueing to speak to someone.

Flybe has taken some time to reply to my claim and they have rejected saying:

The EC Regulation 261/2004 outlines all extraordinary circumstances according to the EU legislation. As flight BE3032 was cancelled due to an extraordinary circumstance, you would not be entitled to any compensation in regards to this flight. The reason that this flight was disrupted was as a result of adverse weather conditions. The Air Traffic Control would have then made the decision to reduce the operational capacity of the Airport affecting the volume of aircraft permitted to depart and arrive. When this happens, some flights are cancelled and passengers are rebooked accordingly. Unfortunately, on this occasion, flight BE3032 was one of the flights that were cancelled by ATC as a result of safety measures.

All airlines have to adhere to these restrictions and are not allowed to take off until they are given a new time slot. These restrictions can be placed at the last minute and Flybe have no control over such decisions.

We accept that there was some fog at Paris CDG that morning, but it can't have been severe because all other flights were departing. We feel that Flybe is just hoping that we will not pursue compensation and it seems more than a coincidence that Paris Air Traffic Control picked on just Flybe. What do others think?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    JohnJ
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 21st Dec 18, 12:56 PM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 7,603 Thanks
    Caz3121
    you can check your details on a couple on NWNF sites
    Euclaim shows - An analysis of the data for this flight shows that an extraordinary circumstance was the cause of the delay.
    Unfortunately you are not entitled to compensation

try your details in bottonline and see if they agree.
    Fog can cause air traffic restrictions and airlines will be told to reduce their capacity as there needs to be a longer gap between flights which results in enforced cancellations
    • GlasgowBear81
    • By GlasgowBear81 28th Dec 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GlasgowBear81
    I recently had a FlyBe flight cancelled due to "weather" however all other flights to my destination operated - the issue is that for some reason, FlyBe's aircraft couldn't cope with the weather whereas other airlines could.

Flybe are offering to compensate me for the difference between my flight ticket (refunded) and costs incurred, however are ignoring my contacts requesting compensation under EU261 - not even acknowledging that part of my emails.

Advice?
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 28th Dec 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say.
    • K L B
    • By K L B 29th Dec 18, 6:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    K L B
    Flybe flight compensation
    My Flybe trials and tribulations started when my flight, BE874, from Manchester to Southampton, was still on the flight board as “wait in lounge” at the designated flight time. Then lots of hustle and bustle with people trying to find out what’s happening, all with no information being given, even though the powers that be must have known there was a problem, what it was, and where it was, but we, the paying passengers were not privy to any information whatsoever.

There were lots of people asking, angrily, questions at the information desk, so I waited for my opportunity to ask about my concerns and was greeted with a cold hearted, soulless stare from a female called Becky, whom, when I enquired what was supposed to happen to me, a disabled pensioner, she said in a very unfeeling way “it’s Flybe’s policy to get you to your destination airport then you’re on your own” – wonderful, disabled pensioner, with diabetes, on his own, abandoned at Southampton airport, with no busses or trains running for at least an hour and forty minutes, in the winter, by flybe.

The original excuse for any delay was adverse weather at Southampton, then it changed to a technical fault, then it again changed to both the anomalies, but in the meantime three people had phoned relatives in Southampton who all said the sky was clear, in other words everything we were told was a lie !

The, err, female, Becky wore an Airport Services jacket, but when she spoke down to me she was a spokesman for Flybe, so complaints about her, Southampton Airport and Flybe will be spread far and wide.

I would like to claim for :-
    Loss of flight.
    Hardship – being a disabled, diabetic pensioner.
    Inconvenience.
    Taxi fare home, as no busses or trains running at 4am.

Addendum
    This woman, Becky, should not be in a customer service role, in any way shape or form, she has absolutely no idea how to deal with disgruntled (understandably) customers. Perhaps she could be trained to be as a cleaner.
    Personally, I found her abrupt, uncaring, condescending, and downright rude, especially when she laughed as she announced that the flight was cancelled !!!

K L Barrowcliff
    • _shel
    • By _shel 29th Dec 18, 7:13 AM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    _shel
    My Flybe trials and tribulations started when my flight, BE874, from Manchester to Southampton, was still on the flight board as “wait in lounge” at the designated flight time. Then lots of hustle and bustle with people trying to find out what’s happening, all with no information being given, even though the powers that be must have known there was a problem, what it was, and where it was, but we, the paying passengers were not privy to any information whatsoever.

There were lots of people asking, angrily, questions at the information desk, so I waited for my opportunity to ask about my concerns and was greeted with a cold hearted, soulless stare from a female called Becky, whom, when I enquired what was supposed to happen to me, a disabled pensioner, she said in a very unfeeling way “it’s Flybe’s policy to get you to your destination airport then you’re on your own” – wonderful, disabled pensioner, with diabetes, on his own, abandoned at Southampton airport, with no busses or trains running for at least an hour and forty minutes, in the winter, by flybe.

The original excuse for any delay was adverse weather at Southampton, then it changed to a technical fault, then it again changed to both the anomalies, but in the meantime three people had phoned relatives in Southampton who all said the sky was clear, in other words everything we were told was a lie !

The, err, female, Becky wore an Airport Services jacket, but when she spoke down to me she was a spokesman for Flybe, so complaints about her, Southampton Airport and Flybe will be spread far and wide.

I would like to claim for :-
    Loss of flight.
    Hardship – being a disabled, diabetic pensioner.
    Inconvenience.
    Taxi fare home, as no busses or trains running at 4am.

Addendum
    This woman, Becky, should not be in a customer service role, in any way shape or form, she has absolutely no idea how to deal with disgruntled (understandably) customers. Perhaps she could be trained to be as a cleaner.
    Personally, I found her abrupt, uncaring, condescending, and downright rude, especially when she laughed as she announced that the flight was cancelled !!!

K L Barrowcliff
    Originally posted by K L B
    She was right though. They get you to your destination not beyond!
    • daqpan
    • By daqpan 9th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daqpan
    Hey all

I was on a flybe flight that was delayed over four hours - Glasgow to Birmingham. I raised it through resolver and flybe said it was due to the plane being delayed from Amsterdam due to a medical emergency - note this is a different flight. EUClaim say they don't expect a positive outcome. Probably won't get one but thought I'd check with you guys.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 9th Jan 19, 1:54 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    jpsartre
    If the diverted flight was enroute to Glasgow to pick you up I'd be inclined to agree with EUClaim's assesment.
    • Dillydots
    • By Dillydots 13th Jan 19, 6:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dillydots
    My elderly dad was on that flight too, and all they have offered me is the £32 taxi fare from airport to Southsea, as no public transport/trains running at that time Their letter said as they coached everyone to airport from Manchester despite getting there 7 hours after you should have they don’t have any responsibility to give compensation and that the taxi fare is a goodwill gesture as they fulfilled their contract. It is so annoying as my dad’s friend had driven up to pick him up but had to leave home before we knew it was delayed then eventually cancelled at 11pm so went home and to ask to come back in middle of night was out of the equasion. Given that they had coaches waiting, they must have had a good idea what was happening just decided not to share it with passengers. I am not sure if and how to pursue for more than the taxi fare, hopefully now it’s been bought by virgin, the service will improve!
    • jmbill
    • By jmbill 14th Jan 19, 10:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jmbill
    Advice needed please
    Posting on behalf of my parents.

They flew from Exeter to Guernsey (and return) in September 2018 using Flybe. They boarded the return flight from Guernsey back to the mainland on Friday 21st September 2018, flight BE312.

After sitting on the runway for over an hour, the crew declared the plane was a failure. The flight was cancelled and they were all sent back to the terminal building.

Staff at the airport were far from helpful or compassionate. I was having to search on the internet for the flight information and phone my parents in the terminal to tell them what was happening.

Being late on a Friday night, there were no other flights out of Guernsey back to the mainland. The Southampton flight the following day was already fully booked. They were made to rebook on a Exeter-bound flight two days later. This meant they incurred accommodation / meal costs, taxi fares and extra parking charges, amounting to a couple of hundred pounds.

After not hearing back from Flybe, they submitted a flight delay compensation request through the Resolver website on 2nd October 2018. They got an automated "thank you for your message" email, but heard nothing else.

On the 13th November 2018, Resolver suggested escalating the case to the Customer Relations department. Again nothing was heard after the case was escalated.

Finally on 27th November 2018, Resolver suggested escalating the case to the Aviation ADR. There hasn't been a single word back from either Flybe or the Aviation ADR.

The Resolver website says "No escalation possible. You are now at the highest point of escalation for your issue with Flybe."

What is the next step in getting this compensation? Based on what I have read, they are totally 100% eligible for compensation and their parking charge to be refunded.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    jpsartre
    What is the next step in getting this compensation?
    Originally posted by jmbill

Have they called Flybe to chase up? What is the current status with AviationADR? AviationADR is a slow process but they will get a result eventutally. They are entitled to reimbursement of accommodation/meals during the delay + (based on what you've written) EU compensation. Parking charges in Exeter is a matter for their travel insurance.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 14th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    I have to say from evidence, I doubt that Flybe is even aware of the claim. Resolver doesn't work every time and for every airline and before you go any further, I would write to Flybe at the HQ in Exeter with details of the claim as currently, they have not refused the claim at all. Lucky they were not travelling with Aurigny as they point out, the Channel Islands are not part of the EU so for departures from there, as they are a Guernsey-based airline, they are outside the rules of EU261 completely
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

2,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin