Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Flybe ONLY

Comments

• 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Press article re Allen case has Flybe statement ......

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2015608&c=setreg&region=2
  • doccer
    doccer Posts: 14 Forumite
    Tyzap wrote: »
    If you have any problems you could always quote this from the regs.....

Article 5

Cancellation

1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
    (a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accord- ance with Article 8;

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) — reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

Hello guys,

Well it's been 9 working days now and we still haven't received our refund for the cancelled flights.

In the mean time we have received an e-mail response to our letter demanding compensation. They are basically putting our case on hold for 8-10 weeks waiting for the outcome of current court cases...blah, blah ,blah. As a request for ruling has been submitted to the European court of justice by another carrier and the outcome of this will provide the airline industry clarity as to whether a technical delay or cancellation could constitute an 'extraordinary circumstance'. and are waiting for the English courts to confirm whether claims should be stayed.

The reason for the cancellation was apparently due to the aircraft having a technical issue with the de-icing equipment.

Any advice on what to do next , or do I just wait?
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Butts wrote: »
    I was mistaken in thinking the refund had arrived but it has today into my bank account.

There has been no response to my e-mail claiming a refund and compensation but as I said the fare refund arrived without any warning.

As my original e-mail was a claim for both can anyone with previous experience hazard a guess as to what will happen next. They have obviously acknowledged the flight was cancelled as otherwise no refund would have been forthcoming.

Will I have to contact them again about the compensation or will that just appear in my account as well with no communication ?

Ah well some good news.......

I got an e-mail from them yesterday confirming they had refunded my fare and saying they would pass my claim for compensation on to The Customer Relations Department.

My reaction was probably I'd have to wait weeks for a NO from them.

However I have just got home from work to find an e-mail that was sent a couple of hours after the first agreeing to "cough up" and asking for my preference of £300 Credit or £200 Cash.

They quoted the reason for cancellation as "Operational".

So to summarise in return for £29.99 (which was refunded) I got

£20 Food Vouchers
    A Night in a 4 Star Hotel (Half Board)
    Taxi to and from the Airport to The Hotel.
    £200 Cash

Who says you don't get "owt for nowt" !!!!!
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 February 2015 at 9:42AM
    doccer wrote: »
    Hello guys,

Well it's been 9 working days now and we still haven't received our refund for the cancelled flights.

In the mean time we have received an e-mail response to our letter demanding compensation. They are basically putting our case on hold for 8-10 weeks waiting for the outcome of current court cases...blah, blah ,blah. As a request for ruling has been submitted to the European court of justice by another carrier and the outcome of this will provide the airline industry clarity as to whether a technical delay or cancellation could constitute an 'extraordinary circumstance'. and are waiting for the English courts to confirm whether claims should be stayed.

The reason for the cancellation was apparently due to the aircraft having a technical issue with the de-icing equipment.

Any advice on what to do next , or do I just wait?

Hi doccer,

The main case that they were waiting for was on Wednesday 25th Feb when the judge dealt them a severe blow. If you read the Jet2 and Allen case result threads you can see for yourself.

They are still licking their wounds and considering their next move but your case is strengthened by the result.

Expecting you to wait another 8-10 weeks is excessive IMO so you need to phone them, or failing that email etc and push for payment.

If you still feel you're not getting anywhere read Vaubans superb guide and issue a LBA.

All they are doing is trying to buy more time. Keep them under pressure, as the courts are doing, and hopefully it won't take too long.

This was in Travelmole in the link from 111KAB, above.

Flybe spokesman Andrew McConnell, said: "Flybe is continuing to meet its obligations under EU261 regulations, and pays compensation to customers that are legally entitled to receive it.

"Flybe will be contacting all customers who have made claims for EU261 compensation where there were technical issues, with a view to settling the outstanding claims that fall outside of the current exemptions."

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap wrote: »

"Flybe will be contacting all customers who have made claims for EU261 compensation where there were technical issues, with a view to settling the outstanding claims that fall outside of the current exemptions."

I really do hope that's true, but somehow I think that statement will be retracted when J2 announce their appeal against the Allen Judgement .

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Email received from Flybe late yesterday advising that due to the outcome of the Allen case they will be reassessing my claim and will write to me by no late me than 30 March with the outcome.

I've already raised a claim via MCOL which I believe they are due to respond to by the end of next week. Will update when I hear more. Can't seem to copy and paste email so will try again from PC on Monday.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    msnigella wrote: »
    Email received from Flybe late yesterday advising that due to the outcome of the Allen case they will be reassessing my claim and will write to me by no late me than 30 March with the outcome.

I've already raised a claim via MCOL which I believe they are due to respond to by the end of next week. Will update when I hear more. Can't seem to copy and paste email so will try again from PC on Monday.

Good move, it keeps the pressure up, and will ensure that your case is one of the first to be settled.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • msnigella
    msnigella Posts: 95 Forumite
    Email received from Flybe today:

Re: County court claim number – XXXXXXX

Following a test case being heard in Liverpool County Court on the 25th February which was similar to your claim with us we are writing to update you on our current position.

We have reviewed your claim in line with the current exemptions under EU 261/2004 and without admission of liability and in order to save time and further costs being incurred by both parties, we are willing to settle this claim at the requested £432.69

Please complete the attached Form of Release if you are in agreement of this settlement and return it to me together with details of your bank account so that I can arrange a payment to you today. This should include the account number and sort code or IBAN number and SWIFT code for international banks.

I await to hear from you as soon as possible.

:j:j:j

Many thanks to everyone on this board for the advice :beer:
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Excellent news, so this is one of the famous five that have folded

:j:j:T:j:j

Congrats on your success!

• msnigella
    msnigella Posts: 95 Forumite
    Thanks NoviceAngel :beer:

Also worth noting this settlement included my infant daughter - I'm aware some airlines try to avoid paying out for infants who did not have their own seat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure