Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 31
    • Pixiepants
    • By Pixiepants 27th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pixiepants
    FlyBe/Blue Island - no compensation
    Hi
    Has anyone fallen foul of the FlyBe/Blue Island issue? Is it worth trying to contact either of them? Has anyone had an outcome other than 'not our responsibility'?
    We were booked on a Southampton/Guernsey flight, first plane out, last back.
    The 18:45 flight was cancelled at 19:00 due to 'A member of the crew feeling sick'. Particularly ironic as 2 hour earlier we had been surrounded by Blue Island pilots and crew as we had travelled to Guernsey for the funeral of our friend - an ex Blue Island pilot.
    They took us back round to rebook..and that was the ONLY help we received. The only representative was the poor girl rebooking, no management, no customer services, nobody from either FlyBe or Blue Island. All we were told is that they have no responsibility apart from rebooking as they're not under the EU regulations.
    When we mentioned we had teen at home the answer was "Don't you have a plan B?"...obviously this was not helpful coming from an airline with no plan B! We weren't even offered the use of a phone to sort things out.
    So we ended up paying for a hotel and our parking in the short stay car park doubled to £65 as we were 20 minutes into the next 24 hours - thanks for the show of compassion Southampton Airport Parking "no, nothing we can do".
    The worst bit was that my father died that evening while we were in a hotel room in Guernsey when we would have been by his side.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 27th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    JPears
    OK pixie,
    can we have flight number, which airline were you actually flying with (although to some extent this irrelvent in respect of EU as you were flying out of Southhampton? ) Or was your return flight from Guernsey delayed/cancelled?

Is Guernsey exempt from EU reg 261/2004 as they are (voluntarily) bound by some EU legislation?
    Last edited by JPears; 27-04-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Pixiepants,

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news about your father, what a miserable trip you had.

Unfortunately I'm the bearer of more bad news....

According to Article 355 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU), EU law does not apply to the countries and territories listed in Annex II to the TFEU16. Instead, those countries and territories are subject to the special association arrangements laid down in accordance with Part Four of the TFEU. Moreover, it does not apply to the Faeroe Islands, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands according to the act of accession of Denmark and the United Kingdom. Therefore, these territories are to be considered as third countries within the meaning of the Regulation17.

So the Channel Islands are treated a special case by the EU and your delay falls between the cracks!

Even more bad news in this Wiki article too....

Franchise deal with Flybe[edit]
    In January 2016, Blue Islands revealed their franchise deal with Flybe, which allowed Blue Islands to operate their flights in Flybe branded aircraft. Flybe branded flights began 6 June 2016.[21]

In July 2016, Blue Islands was heavily criticized by the States of Jersey and Guernsey after several aircraft were found to have technical problems, causing high numbers of delays and cancellations. This caused weeks of disruption to Blue Islands' services and meetings with States officials to put measures into place to prevent events like this to occur again.[22] CICRA (the Channel Islands competition watchdog) wrote a letter to the airline, asking them to address the measures and the benefits of the franchise deal with Flybe.[23]

In December 2016, CICRA accused Blue Islands of contravening and potentally breaking the Channel Islands' competition laws through the Flybe franchise deal. The watchdog says that the deal "...may have restricted competitive choices, including schedules and which routes the competitors can fly." They say that the airline's response to its letter was not satisfactory and has now started a full investigation into the airline and the franchise.[24]

Unfortunately I really cannot see you getting anywhere with this, sorry.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 27-04-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 27th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    JPears
    As you can only book through the flybe website and the aircraft are in flybe livery, surely this is misleading to the consumer. Bordering on deception in my mind.
    I think the man in the street, when using this service would think they are flying with flybe, not some second rate offshore operation...

• glenmcl
    • By glenmcl 8th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    glenmcl
    I received confirmation Fromm FlyBe that my flight was delayed due to a technical issue with the plane and was offered the following:

In recognition of the disruption experienced and by way of compensation, I would like to offer you a credit note to the sum of £75.00 for redemption against a future Flybe flights.

Is this acceptable? I really don!!!8217;t want credit for another FlyBe flight I want the compensation and be able to choose what I spend it on and where!

Thanks
    Glen
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 8th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I received confirmation Fromm FlyBe that my flight was delayed due to a technical issue with the plane and was offered the following:

In recognition of the disruption experienced and by way of compensation, I would like to offer you a credit note to the sum of £75.00 for redemption against a future Flybe flights.

Is this acceptable? I really don!!!8217;t want credit for another FlyBe flight I want the compensation and be able to choose what I spend it on and where!

Thanks
    Glen
    Originally posted by glenmcl
    You donít have to accept a credit for a flight delay and you may be entitled to much more. Depends on the length of the delay, the exact reason and where you were flying to and from. Start by reading Vaubans guide and take things from there.
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 08-05-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, weíve had to remove part of your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • elle1980
    • By elle1980 9th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elle1980
    Short-haul or Long-haul?
    We flew with Air France from Curitiba in Brazil to Manchester on 10 and 11 April. All went to plan with the first two flights in the journey from Curitiba to Sao Paulo, and then Sao Paulo to Paris. The flight from Paris to Manchester, operated by FlyBe, was delayed almost 9 hours due to a technical fault.

I'm not clear when claiming compensation if I should be asking for the short-haul or long-haul compensation. Obviously, our overall journey is classified as long-haul, but the affected flight would be termed a short-haul flight. Please can someone advise me? I've tried finding an answer through Google search with no success.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 9th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    JPears
    Hi,
    Unfortunately there is no clear definition here and there are arguments for both sides.
    IMHO, as the cause of the delay is on your last leg, which is <1500km you are due Euro250 and the claim is against Flybe, not Air France.
    There is an argument that the regulation allows a claim for a single ticket journey claim so the full amount would be due?
    Last edited by JPears; 10-05-2018 at 9:31 AM.

• NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 9th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I can see what youíre saying JP, I think it would all get over complicated if Elle tried to claim anything more than the Ä250 per person, thatís what Iíd go for.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, weíve had to remove part of your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • mike_romeo
    • By mike_romeo 27th Jun 18, 4:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mike_romeo
    Hi All,

I have a quick query please.

My Flybe domestic flight from Glasgow was cancelled 1 hour before departure. After queuing at the ticket desk, the alternative flight offered was from Edinburgh, and scheduled to arrive at my destination at 1455, exactly 3 hours after my original scheduled time. They were going to provide ground transport across to Edinburgh.

Due to it being a short business trip, I decided not to travel and requested a refund. Am I correct in that because I took a refund and didn't travel, I'm not eligible for any compensation given their alternative arrangement had me arriving 3 hours late.

Thanks
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Jun 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi All,

I have a quick query please.

My Flybe domestic flight from Glasgow was cancelled 1 hour before departure. After queuing at the ticket desk, the alternative flight offered was from Edinburgh, and scheduled to arrive at my destination at 1455, exactly 3 hours after my original scheduled time. They were going to provide ground transport across to Edinburgh.

Due to it being a short business trip, I decided not to travel and requested a refund. Am I correct in that because I took a refund and didn't travel, I'm not eligible for any compensation given their alternative arrangement had me arriving 3 hours late.

Thanks
    Originally posted by mike_romeo
    Hi mike_romeo,

Have a read of this article, it should answer all your questions.

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-cancellation-compensation

You can also always give their delay calculator a try too.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 27th Jun 18, 7:36 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 2,229 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Am I correct in that because I took a refund and didn't travel, I'm not eligible for any compensation given their alternative arrangement had me arriving 3 hours late.
    Originally posted by mike_romeo
    No. If your flight was cancelled for non-extraordinary reason, EU261 says that you are entitled to compensation unless the airline offered you rerouting that allowed you to depart no more than 1 hour before your secheduled departure and arrive no more than 2 hours after your scheduled arrival. So, in short, you're due compensation unless your flight was cancelled for extraordinary reasons.
    • mike_romeo
    • By mike_romeo 27th Jun 18, 9:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mike_romeo
    Tyzap and jpsartre,

Thanks for responding! I will look into making a claim, initial rumours seemed to be due to crew sickness. I will update as I hear more.

Cheers!
    • Chau
    • By Chau 29th Jun 18, 3:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chau
    Hi,

I was on a flight delayed for more than 5 hours over night from Italy to London. I sent a request to Flybe on 11 June giving them 14 days to repond but didn't hear anything. I called them up on 28 and one of their customer service agent said that because the flight was operated by Stobartair as such I have to contact them. Flybe provided me an email address of Stobart customer care. I have sent an email to such address but haven't received any confirmation or receipt or anything like reference number. I have the following questions:
    1. It is correct that I have to claim the compensation from Stobart instead pf Flybe, isn't it?
    2. Anyone has sent the claim directly to customer care address of Stobart? Is it normal that you do not receive anything from them just yet? Or until they get back with the full response/refund suggestion?
    3. If 2 is the case, how many days I would expect to receive a response from them?
    4. I look at Stobart air website, they said any information relating to flybe flight will need to speak to Flybe. So for what I have done with my case, is it correcr? Anything I need to do further?
    Appreciate your comments.
    Many thanks,
    Chau
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 29th Jun 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Justice13075
    I see this is a complicated one. Stobart pulled out of offering a deal for Flybe in March 2018. I assume you aircraft said Flybe on it. I for one am stumped best bet is to talk to Bott and co they should know. If they take it on it will cost you but I don't think you would want to take this on yourself
    • Hardy12
    • By Hardy12 4th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hardy12
    Hello, I'm hoping for some advice please :-)

We were recently delayed whilst travelling from Faro to Cardiff. The inbound plane from Cardiff to Faro suffered a technical difficulty before leaving Cardiff which resulted in our flight back to Cardiff being delayed from boarding by around 2.5 hours. We were then on the ground in Faro for another 30 mins or so before air traffic gave us permission to take off. The end result was that we arrived in Cardiff 3 hrs & 9 mins after we were due. We have written to Flybe who have advised us we are not eligible for compensation as the flight was delayed due to an issue with air traffic control. Are they correct in what they are stating? I feel that had it not been for the original technical issue the flight would not have missed its original departure slot and therefore would not have required a new one but I'm certainly no expert in this field so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Hardy12; 04-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    JPears
    Flybe are trying to fob you of. If 2.5 hours of your 3 delay were due to a technical fault, and on the previous flight, you are almost certainly due compensation.
    It's all anumbers game to the airlines. 75% of people probably won'take an initial claim as they're not aware of the possible compensation and are not informed by airline, which they are legally obligated to do.
    75% of that initial 25% that did claim will believe the pathetic excuses/lies proffered by the airline.
    So on a flight of 200, we are already down to less than 13. So they go from £50,000 potential compensation to less than £3000 by not giving a letter to the delayed passengers then by sending a misinforming letter. Various other claimants will fall by the wayside in progession to actually receiving compensation.
    It's a shocking scam the airlines get away with because the CAA refuse to sweet fa about it for the last decade.

• Hardy12
    • By Hardy12 4th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hardy12
    Thanks for your response JPears. I felt that they were trying to fob me off too, but was wondering whether they had me on a technicality. However my logic would be that FlyBe would be fully responsible as the flight missed itís scheduled slot due to the original technical issue - Air traffic couldnít be at fault for this. Looks like another email to FlyBe!! Thanks again.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jul 18, 9:39 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    JPears
    Download Vaubans superb guide.

• Hardy12
    • By Hardy12 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hardy12
    Download Vaubans superb guide.
    Originally posted by JPears

That's a really useful document JPears, thank you!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,161Posts Today

8,116Users online

Martin's Twitter