Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 95
    • Mirene
    • By Mirene 5th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mirene
    I have seen advice on this site about emailing the CEO direct but don't know what their email address is - any advise?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Why would you need to do this? Is BA continuing to reject your claim? Alex Cruz is CEO but I guarantee that he will not be reading any emails you send him.
    • Mirene
    • By Mirene 6th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mirene
    Delay flight
    It was what some people in the past recommended to get a result.
    BA are still insisting the time we arrived at Heathrow, not Gatwick, is the critical time. So, I wish to take it further.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Either file a complaint with CEDR or send them a notice before action. You have an open and shut case.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 6th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You are over thinking this. You have a valid claim so just follow the advice of jpsartre
    • fiwi_kiwi
    • By fiwi_kiwi 6th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fiwi_kiwi
    Cancellation and rebooked with 3 hour delay
    I am querying whether I am entitled to compensation for a flight delay.

My British Airways flight on 01 March 2018 (London Heathrow to Washington Dulles) was cancelled. I was originally due to arrive at 2:55 PM.

I was rebooked onto an American Airlines flight via Charlotte, NC, with an estimated arrival time in Washington of 3:56 PM. This was delayed and I did not arrive in Washington under 6:06pm.

Am I entitled to any compensation? If so, is this with BA or AA?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    If the BA flight was cancelled because of bad weather you will not be entitled to compensation. If you want more specific advice you need to tell us why the flight was cancelled, when it was cancelled and when the AA flight was scheduled to depart.
    • fiwi_kiwi
    • By fiwi_kiwi 6th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fiwi_kiwi
    BA did not provide a reason for the cancellation, although it coincided with the snow in London. It was cancelled on the afternoon of Wednesday 28th February when I was due to travel on Thursday 1st March. I was rebooked onto a flight with a connection (my original was direct). The whole new journey was scheduled from 9.45am to arrive at Dulles at 5.12pm. It was the second leg of the journey which was delayed by just over an hour, but the overall delay from my original booking was just over 3 hours.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    If the flight was cancelled due to non-extraordinary circumstances you are due 600 euros. That said, I think you will struggle to claim as the flight was probably cancelled due to the poor weather conditions.
    • fiwi_kiwi
    • By fiwi_kiwi 6th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fiwi_kiwi
    Thanks. Do they need to be explicit about cancelling due to poor weather? Particularly as they cancelled it the day before it was due to go, without providing any explanation in correspondence.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I suspect the cancellation email is an automatically generated template which explains why it doesn't specify the reason for the cancellation.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 6th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks. Do they need to be explicit about cancelling due to poor weather? Particularly as they cancelled it the day before it was due to go, without providing any explanation in correspondence.
    Originally posted by fiwi_kiwi
    A bit more info here.

http://caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Your-rights/Am-I-entitled-to-compensation-/
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • UncleBuck
    • By UncleBuck 8th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    UncleBuck
    Ok so CEDR appointed an adjudicator who has ruled in BA's favour. Apparently repotred thunderstorms in the area (we didn't see any!) is considered and 'extraordinary circumstance'. The ajudicator states "accept on the evidence before me on the balance of probabilities that the weather conditions resulting in the ATC restrictions reducing the flow into and out of LHR and the resulting cancellation of the Flight constituted an extraordinary circumstance. I am satisfied that the Airline took reasonable measures and it was unable to avoid the cancellation".

Is it just me, should the adjudicator not make a decision on the facts, when has "on the balance of probabilities" been a fact?.

I now have upto 20 days to agree the decision or rebuke. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. As with everything with BA, its now more than just the compensation money, its a point of principle for me!.

Regards
    Uncle Buck
    Originally posted by UncleBuck
    ok so I've rejected the adjudicators decision and now CEDR have closed the claim. Whats the best way forward:

1. Submit my claim via one of the online companies (I know they take a cut but i'm sick of BA playing the numbers game) or
    2. Submit a claim through the small claims court?

any help welcome

Regards
    Uncle Buck
    There's always someone bigger and better, smarter and stronger but there's only one YOU!
    Proud to be a MF and DF MSE after following advice here and breaking the ground-in mental barriers to change!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Tyzap
    ok so I've rejected the adjudicators decision and now CEDR have closed the claim. Whats the best way forward:

1. Submit my claim via one of the online companies (I know they take a cut but i'm sick of BA playing the numbers game) or
    2. Submit a claim through the small claims court?

any help welcome

Regards
    Uncle Buck
    Originally posted by UncleBuck
    MCOL is very satisfying once it's done and you've won, but it can be stressful and time consuming getting there.

For the stress free route you have the NWNF solicitors, NOT claims assistance companies who are unregulated and (some) have been troublesome in the past. Bott & Co are the best imo, but it all depends on how you feel.

I was only reading back about your case last night and still believe it is winnable.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 8th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Given that the adjudicator has already rejected your claim I would be minded to go with a NWNF solicitor (not a claims company as Tyzap says) as the airline will be feeling very bullish. While you will lose a slice of the compensation if you win, you will get the rest which is better than nothing. On the other hand, if you take it to Court yourself and lose, not only won't you get anything but you'll be out of pocket for the court fees and, given that CEDR has already found against you, you could end up having to pay BA's costs. With the NWNF solicitor, if you lose it doesn't cost you anything. Think of it as a sort of insurance. We all pay each year to insure our buildings and might go years before we have a claim but at least you know you have cover.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 9th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    Agreed with magpie. And if you win you can write the most critical scathingly sarcastic letter to CEDR and CAA. It won't achieve anything but will make you feel a whole lot better...!!!55357;!!!56841;
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • patxi101
    • By patxi101 21st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patxi101
    Flight Delay - Technical & Weather
    A few weeks ago (28/2/18) I was due to fly from LHR to Barcelona for a day of business meetings (I run my own business, not working for a big company). It had snowed overnight and a number of flights had been pre-cancelled from Heathrow to allow the remaining ones to operate to schedule. The 06:15 flight should have landed at 09:20, but after a catalogue of delays we finally landed at 12:49 (3hr 29 mins late).
    Reasons: Due to a technical problem with a door the captain decided to call up a spare plane. BA have confirmed to me that this took 157 minutes. The plane needed de-icing and this was completed and the plane taxied out to the end of the runway and then taxied back as another plane had informed ours that the truck had missed some snow on the top of the fuselage. We were de-iced a second time, properly, and took off at 09:13 (2hr 58 mins late). The flight time took longer than scheduled - the plane landed at 12:43 and then took a further 6 mins to get to the gate - total 3hr 29min late arrival.
    My day was effectively ruined as I tried to fit a 5hr meeting into 2hr with no lunch break. BA have rejected my claim saying ATC delays for safety reasons are beyond their control.
    In their reply BA point out that the technical delay was under 3hrs but fail to acknowledge that the plane arrived more than 3hrs late. My question is, where there are a number of factors that lead to a delay can they be treated in isolation as BA seem to be implying? The weather conditions were not perfect but other planes were flying to schedule and not being delayed unreasonably.
    What is my next step? CEDR? Or will the weather in combination to a technical issue be enough to get them off the hook?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    From what you say it looks as though the technical issues - faulty door/new plane and deicing were to blame for the vast majority of the delay, irrespective of the weather conditions. BA missed their slot with ATC, thats their problem, not yours.
    I believe you have a valid claim. Put your details into a few reputable NWNF firms such as Botts, and see what they say regarding potyential claim.
    An ADR could be your next step. Or a NWNF. At least you can put donw the fee they charge you (approx 30%) as a business expense against tax
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • patxi101
    • By patxi101 21st Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patxi101
    An ADR could be your next step. Or a NWNF. At least you can put donw the fee they charge you (approx 30%) as a business expense against tax
    Originally posted by JPears
    Great idea about the business expenses, I like the way you think! I will try with an ADR as I will put the 25 fee (in case I don't succeed) on expenses and pocket any payout directly!

I can't believe BA didn't even offered me one poxy Avios point - but they sent me a 'how did we do' survey yesterday which I haven't filled in yet...
    • U.N.C.L.E.
    • By U.N.C.L.E. 30th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    U.N.C.L.E.
    Flight DElay
    Hi,

I was due to fly back from Arrecife (Lanzarote) on 15th March with BA @ 12:15.

Flight was delayed and no information forthcoming.

Eventually we found out that the plane and crew hadn't arrived from the previous flight on time (they had been diverted to Fuertaventura because of winds at Arrecife).

After 5 hours of watching other planes landing and taking off, we were told the plane had just arrived, but the crew were now out of flying hours, so we were being taken to a hotel overnight. The flight was then re-scheduled (not cancelled) to leave at 08:15 the next morning.

It eventually took off at 08:45.

When we got home, I started looking at compensation options.

To my knowledge, if the plane and crew are not there to operate my flight, then I am entitled to compensation. Other planes were leaving on time. And other planes were landing.

I understand that if my plane (and crew) cannot leave on time because the weather doesn't allow for it, then that's not in the airlines control. But, I don't believe it's correct that if that plane and crew are still operating a previous flight and are somewhere else, then I should suffer.

Either way, they did not do everytrhing in their control to minimise the delay. They sent us to a hotel overnight. Why did they not fly out a new plane and crew to take us home as early as possible?

BA rejected my claim - stating that the flight 'CANCELLATION' had been a result of crew availability. The flight was not cancelled. It was delayed. By 20.5 hours!

Where do I stand with this?

Thanks
    Last edited by U.N.C.L.E.; 30-03-2018 at 8:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin