Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 92
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 23rd Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi parahandy,

Yes, if they presented at the departure gate within the specified time prior to departure and boarding was still open, they were involuntarily denied boarding (IDB) by BA.

Of course a sceptical view of this situation could suggest that as the flight to GLA was obviously oversubscribed BA sold their tickets to maximise revenue. This should not happen tho until the delayed passengers become a 'no show' by arriving at the departure gate after boarding has closed. At that point their tickets could be released to standby passengers hoping to board the flight.

There is virtually no defence to IDB, so they should use the BA website to put in a claim. If they had been on BA metal all the way from USA they could claim !!!8364;600 each, however, because the first flight was on AA, BA may try to offer them only !!!8364;250 for the short hall section only.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 23-12-2017 at 2:38 PM.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 24th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    JPears
    I would have thought even with the delay of 15 mins, 90 would have been enough time to transfer, especially if it was a straight thru codeshare ticket/journey?
    At what point were they informed of the flight change?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 24th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    jpsartre
    They were on an American Airlines (sharing with BA) flight this morning from Miami to Heathrow (due 0840 arr 0855) Their BA transfer flight was due to depart to Glasgow at 1030.
    Originally posted by parahandy
    AA56 is listed as landing at 09:19 yesterday which brought your in-laws well below the minimum connection time allowed for transfers between T3 and T5. I don't know what the legal situation is in these cases but it's entirely possible that BA's side of the story is correct. That said, I would have been pretty miffed if it happened to me.
    • ghol26
    • By ghol26 29th Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    ghol26
    Wondering if I'm eligible to claim for what will be a 24 hour delay to our scheduled journey with BA from MAN to LHR and LHR to CAI yesterday. The flight from MAN was delayed due to baggage unloading issues on a previous flight at LHR so we arrived too late to make the connection at LHR. We have been booked onto the LHR to CAI flight at 17:35 today (24 hours after the original flight was due to leave).
    Thanks in advance for any info
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi ghol26,

Yes, you should qualify for compensation as your flight was affected by a knock on delay from a previous flight, but that is not extraordinary circumstance.

You can find an online claim form on BA.com.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • BB.
    • By BB. 30th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BB.
    BA851 flight delay
    Hi, I wonder if you could advise... my BA flight to LON got delayed by over 3 hours but the cause for delay is not clear. At the airport I was given a letter from BA saying it was caused by “the late departure of the aircraft from LON following an aircraft change” However, when I contacted their Twitter team I got a call saying I wasn’t eligibilible for compensation as the delay was caused by a “security check and as such outside of the airline control”- no further details was given to me. I asked them to put that in writing but they haven’t.
    Is there any website or organisation such as CAA or Heathrow airport theselve that can tell me what the delay was caused by so that I know whether I have a case or not?
    I don’t trust what BA say as their own pilot was trying to convince the passengers on board that the delayed was under 3 hrs. As a result he was met with a bit of backlash from passengers who were stranded for 4-5 hrs at the airport waiting for this flight, when leaving the plane.
    Thank you.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi BB,

It can be frustrating, trying to get details such as these out of any airline is like pulling teeth, the CAA won't help, as your flight departed from outside the UK.

You can ask BA to refer your claim to CEDR, so long as you were delayed by more than 3 hours after the scheduled time of arrival. The clock stops when the first exit door is opened upon arrival.

If you post your flight details we may be able to find more info about the flight.

Good luck.
    • BB.
    • By BB. 30th Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BB.
    Thanks Tuzap,

The flight date was 27/12 WAW to LHR BA851.
    As per your reply to ghol26 would the knock on delay rule apply to my flight as well as it was the flight from LHR to WAW that got delayed due to airplane change? My flight was delayed as a knock on effect of that...
    Last edited by BB.; 30-12-2017 at 1:49 PM.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 30th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Justice13075
    EuClaim says your flight was delayed under 3 hours so no compensation. Try putting those details into bottonline and see what they say.
    • BB.
    • By BB. 30th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BB.
    Sorry I put the wrong date on! My flight was on 27/12 and it was delayed by 3 hr 36 min as per BA website I took a screenshot of (expected 17:25 arrived 21:01)
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 30th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Now EuClaim says you are due €250 per passenger. As Tyzap suggests ask BA to refer your case to CEDR.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks Tuzap,

The flight date was 27/12 WAW to LHR BA851.
    As per your reply to ghol26 would the knock on delay rule apply to my flight as well as it was the flight from LHR to WAW that got delayed due to airplane change? My flight was delayed as a knock on effect of that...
    Originally posted by BB.
    Hi BB,

Yes, the principal is the same, your flight was not directly affected. Sometimes the airlines put up a pointless argument in an underhand way to put claimants off. I'm sure you will get your compensation when BA see sense.

It also looks like passengers on BA850, LHR - WAW, are also due compensation.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.
    • BB.
    • By BB. 30th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BB.
    Thank you. I will do!
    • Dazbang
    • By Dazbang 3rd Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dazbang
    Delays etc advice required
    Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum for a little while but haven't found a clear-cut answer to an issue we had, so was wondering if someone could help with regard to whether or not we may be entitled to compensation (apologies in advance if I go on a bit but I just wanted to get things clear in my head too!)

On Tuesday 12th December my girlfriend and I were due to catch the 15.35 Comair flight from Port Elizabeth (PLZ) to Johannesburg (JNB) (BA 6240) where we would connect to the 20.15 flight to London Heathrow (BA 56), however due to delayed arrival at Port Elizabeth our flight left an hour later at approximately 16.35.
    As we were arriving at Johannesburg we were advised that, due to a thunderstorm, the airfield had been temporarily closed and that we would need to refuel in Durban before returning once the weather had settled.
    Whilst refuelling, passengers with connecting flights (including ourselves) had their details taken and were advised that the relevant parties at Johannesburg airport would be made aware of our plight.
    We departed Durban at 19.10 and arrived at Johannesburg approximately 20.05 and were advised prior to disembarking that representatives from our airline (BA) would be waiting for us to shuttle us to our waiting flights. However, there was nobody there to meet us and we, along with approximately 50 other passengers for various other connecting flights, ran towards connections with the gradual realisation that our flight had closed.
    When we reached International Departures we were told that our plane was still on the runway but we were to head to BA ticket sales where we were advised that we were not automatically booked on the next connecting flight at 21.50 and would have to head to the Comair ticket sales back in domestic departures to be rebooked.
    We were then informed at Comair ticket sales that BA had refused to hold the flight and that we were unable to catch the 21.50 due to lack of availability and were rebooked on the 20.15 flight the following day and given a voucher for a room along with dinner / breakfast at a nearby hotel.
    The following morning we found out that the flight we were attempting to catch the previous day at 20.15 never took off (after being held on the tarmac for 3 hours) due to an oil leak / mechanical failure and wouldn't have been able taken us home anyway.

So, what do you guys think? Are there any grounds for compensation here?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice

Cheers

Daz
    • symphony63
    • By symphony63 3rd Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    symphony63
    Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum for a little while but haven't found a clear-cut answer to an issue we had, so was wondering if someone could help with regard to whether or not we may be entitled to compensation (apologies in advance if I go on a bit but I just wanted to get things clear in my head too!)

On Tuesday 12th December my girlfriend and I were due to catch the 15.35 Comair flight from Port Elizabeth (PLZ) to Johannesburg (JNB) (BA 6240) where we would connect to the 20.15 flight to London Heathrow (BA 56), however due to delayed arrival at Port Elizabeth our flight left an hour later at approximately 16.35.
    As we were arriving at Johannesburg we were advised that, due to a thunderstorm, the airfield had been temporarily closed and that we would need to refuel in Durban before returning once the weather had settled.
    Whilst refuelling, passengers with connecting flights (including ourselves) had their details taken and were advised that the relevant parties at Johannesburg airport would be made aware of our plight.
    We departed Durban at 19.10 and arrived at Johannesburg approximately 20.05 and were advised prior to disembarking that representatives from our airline (BA) would be waiting for us to shuttle us to our waiting flights. However, there was nobody there to meet us and we, along with approximately 50 other passengers for various other connecting flights, ran towards connections with the gradual realisation that our flight had closed.
    When we reached International Departures we were told that our plane was still on the runway but we were to head to BA ticket sales where we were advised that we were not automatically booked on the next connecting flight at 21.50 and would have to head to the Comair ticket sales back in domestic departures to be rebooked.
    We were then informed at Comair ticket sales that BA had refused to hold the flight and that we were unable to catch the 21.50 due to lack of availability and were rebooked on the 20.15 flight the following day and given a voucher for a room along with dinner / breakfast at a nearby hotel.
    The following morning we found out that the flight we were attempting to catch the previous day at 20.15 never took off (after being held on the tarmac for 3 hours) due to an oil leak / mechanical failure and wouldn't have been able taken us home anyway.

So, what do you guys think? Are there any grounds for compensation here?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice

Cheers

Daz
    Originally posted by Dazbang
    I don't think there are any grounds for compensation. see Article 3.2 (a) of EU Regs 261/2004
    2. Paragraph 1 shall apply on the condition that passengers:
    (a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present themselves for check-in,
    - as stipulated and at the time indicated in advance and in writing (including by electronic means) by the air carrier, the tour operator or an authorised travel agent,
    or, if no time is indicated,
    - not later than 45 minutes before the published departure time;

You were taken off the flight, therefore did not have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned when the delay happened.
    • Dazbang
    • By Dazbang 3rd Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dazbang
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Symphony63 - it!!!8217;s kind of what I thought but given the whole thing was such a mess I thought it best to ask!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    jpsartre
    would the knock on delay rule apply to my flight
    Originally posted by BB.
    There is no such rule. I realize it's often stated in here that knock-on effects of extraordinary circumstances are not extraordinary but it would be more correct to say that they are not automatically extraordinary. Much depends on the details of the specific case and whether the airline could have reasonably avoided the delay.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    JPears
    BB - The relevant prt of the regulation in the preamble:
    (14) As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks,......

• jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    jpsartre
    But keep in mind that those are examples and does not constitute an exhaustive list. It certainly does not entail that knock-on effects of extraordinary circumstances (such as weather delays) are automatically non-extraordinary. They might be but it depends on the details of the specific case.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    JPears
    Agreed, but the wording "of the flight concerned" is fairly specific when it comes to weather related issues.
    Whilst there is a possibility it may not be the intended meaning by the authors of the regulation, its there in black and white so I beleive this stands as a legal arguement.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,881Posts Today

8,310Users online

Martin's Twitter