Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• sherpa_2
    sherpa_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Thanks Vauban. I've not had any problem getting luggage checked through in situations like this before (unless travelling with budget airlines). But I didn't realise that the might retrospectively protect the connection. I will try calling them, did anyone else experience this?
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    I have read elsewhere that, if you have two tickets bought separately but with the same carrier, you can call customer services and have the tickets "linked together". This has the advantage not only of protecting you if the connection fails, but also means your luggage gets checked through to your final destination (which I don't think it would otherwise?)

Linking together doesn't protect you. Merely let's them know that there is a connecting flight.

If with BA, you could call and ask them to add the domestic leg. You will pay phone and change fee, but you will be protected.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had this dilemma this week with BA flights. Flight+hotel booked through BA holidays from Gatwick and needed to get down from Edinburgh. Because we had other plans next week, used Avios for EDI-LGW//LHR-FRA-LHR-EDI with the FRA flights next week
    option for flights was 2 hour 15 min connection or 7 hours. Having looked through the history of arrival times for the later flight and knowing BA do not have to check bags through on separate tickets plus knowing how bad the baggage wait is at LGW, we went (grudgingly) for the 7 hour connection and decided to head off somewhere for the day.
    Got to the airport and, much to my surprise, they agreed to check the bags through. Flight down was delayed and we got in an hour late. Weather was rubbish so we hung about the airport for a while then headed through to the lounge. The alternate (2hr 15 min connection flight) also arrived late and, assuming that we would be collecting baggage, it appears we would have made the bag drop with about 10 mins to spare but I would have been mega stressed by that time.

What time of year are you travelling? (weather depays to consider?)
    Personally I would go for the longer connection and head off to one of the eating places at Heathrow to kill time. If BA do not through check your baggage it would cut into your time available
    also worth noting that, although our bags were checked through, the baggage info had not gone into the record of the onward flight so, had I not checked with the staff in advance, chances are they may not have loaded the bags
  • Hi does anyone know the contact (email/postal address) details for Lufthansa to make a claim for a 5 hour delay? Their web site sends me round in circles...

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    niki100 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know the contact (email/postal address) details for Lufthansa to make a claim for a 5 hour delay? Their web site sends me round in circles...

Thanks

you will find address on the Lufthansa thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4395437
  • Like a lot of other BA cutomers on here I have just recieved a letter stating that I can reapply for compensation after the Supreme Court decision. Just wondering what everybody else is doing in regards to this? I thought I would just sit tight, wait for the Supreme Court and try again, but if anyone has any different ideas I'd like to know.

Just as background our flight was delayed from USA to UK in July 2014. The delay was caused by two problems (which made me wonder if BA would try and use this as a reason not to pay out). Problem 1 was late arrival of plane from UK due to original plane not being able to fly. We don't know the reason for this. However, the flight was then delayed further because they couldn't disconnect the bridge from the plane when we were due to leave. It was this second delay that tipped the time over the 3 hours.

After reading the horror stories on here of 16 hour delays I realise a 4 hour delay is not really the stuff of nightmares (although it was a night flight and I had 2 small kids with me, one of whom was being sick :) ). However, given it has taken BA nearly 3 months to reply to me with a standard letter I feel there is a principle to be persued!
  • Hello all,
    I was delayed on a BA flight from TPA-LGW for over 6 hours on September 18th due to a engine problem with the previous problem, this could not be fixed so a replacement aircraft was used. This resulted in a missed flight and the rebooked one was delayed more than 3 hours from LHR-PRG (All on one booking). No assistance was provided by BA whatsoever. I filled out a claims form for the money I am due under EC 261/2004 and received this from BA:

In accordance with Regulation 261/2004, compensation is payable in some instances of for delays in arrival of 3 hours or more. However, compensation is not payable if the delay is due to ‘extraordinary circumstances’. There are examples of what can constitute “extraordinary circumstances” set out in the Regulation 261/2004, including technical issues. In the regulation technical issues are referred to as “unexpected flight safety shortcomings”. The reason for the delay to your flight was a technical issue of this nature, and therefore, compensation would not be payable in accordance with the regulation.
    The issue of what constitutes a technical fault amounting to an ‘extraordinary circumstance’ was recently considered by the Court of Appeal in the case of Huzar v Jet2.com. However, this is being appealed to the Supreme Court. In the circumstances, we are postponing consideration of your claim for compensation until the Supreme Court has issued its decision.
    Once the decision is issued, please contact us with your case reference so that the circumstances of your delayed flight can be reviewed in light of the Supreme Court decision.
    While I appreciate your reasons for asking, I am afraid we cannot reimburse your transport expenses. I am sorry to have to disappoint you. However, I would like to contribute towards the meal expenses. Please send us the receipts at the address mentioned below.

So basically for being delayed close to 12 hours, they are offering to reimburse 8 pounds of meal expenses? What are my options in pursuing this further?

Thank you
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MMensik - please read this thread > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5042802

and IF you have any more queries these should be on the BA thread.
  • Great, thank you very much!
  • louised78
    louised78 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2014 at 10:39AM
    Hi I am looking for some advice for my parents they went on holiday to Tunisia from Gatwick in October 2012 via BA. Upon arrival to the airport their return flight was delayed for over 5 hours as a member of ground staff had broken the door of the aircraft. BA are stating that this is beyond their control as it was not a member of their staff yet one employed at Tunis airport. I am aware that technical problems do not count and this was not an act of sabotage or terrorism just a heavy handed member of airport staff.
    Total Debt £2000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure