Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 81
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks for the help everyone, will get back on to them. Difficulty I have is they offered a figure that doesn't meet my hotel, modest food and transport costs but I can't work out what bits have been turned down.
    Originally posted by Antperson
    Just give them a figure, along with receipts. If your not happy with what they offer you ask them for a deadlock letter, which allows you to immediately take your claim to CEDR.

You can claim compensation of 600 euros plus your costs and expenses, so long as you have receipts.

https://www.cedr.com/aviation/docslib/11-cedr-aviation-adjudication-scheme-rules-3rd-edition-final.pdf?v=1490975067

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 29th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 3,680 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    As they were unable to offer you a re-route the regulation does oblige them to consider other forms of transport instead, ie the train journey you made. So you definitely should be able to claim that.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • cwoolner
    • By cwoolner 29th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cwoolner
    Has anyone actually recieved any compensation after the It failure?
    I applied for compensation straight away & I got an email back saying they would pay but 1 month on I haven't received any money & they've not replied to a single email since.
    Has anyone actually received any compensation from them? It's a really bad show - they could have redeemed themselves by paying the compensation quickly but now I'm angry with them all over again!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I applied for compensation straight away & I got an email back saying they would pay but 1 month on I haven't received any money & they've not replied to a single email since.
    Has anyone actually received any compensation from them? It's a really bad show - they could have redeemed themselves by paying the compensation quickly but now I'm angry with them all over again!
    Originally posted by cwoolner
    Lots of pax have received full pay outs pretty quickly.

It seems that those prepared to be patient are left till last.

I would phone them and pester them.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • No_Bob
    • By No_Bob 4th Jul 17, 6:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    No_Bob
    I flew from Singapore to Manchester via London last month.

The first flight from Singapore to London was delayed twelve hours. The connecting flight I was due to take in the morning was cancelled and I was put on a flight in the evening.

Because I would arrive too late into Manchester to take a train home, I had to cancel my booked train ticket and catch a taxi home.

I claimed compensation for the two flights, the one from Singapore to London and the one from London to Manchester. I also claimed a refund for the taxi and for the admin fee that the train company charged me when I cancelled the train ticket.

BA said that because my final destination was Manchester, and that my arrival there was delayed by more than three hours, I was only eligible for 600 euros. They would not compensate me for the London to Manchester flight. They referred to EU regulation 261. I couldn't see anything in the regulation that said I wasn't eligible for compensation for the connecting flight.

They've refunded 50 towards the taxi fare but refused to refund the train admin fee.

Can someone point me to the part of the regulation where it says I can't be compensated for a connecting flight, please?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 4th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Vauban
    I flew from Singapore to Manchester via London last month.

The first flight from Singapore to London was delayed twelve hours. The connecting flight I was due to take in the morning was cancelled and I was put on a flight in the evening.

Because I would arrive too late into Manchester to take a train home, I had to cancel my booked train ticket and catch a taxi home.

I claimed compensation for the two flights, the one from Singapore to London and the one from London to Manchester. I also claimed a refund for the taxi and for the admin fee that the train company charged me when I cancelled the train ticket.

BA said that because my final destination was Manchester, and that my arrival there was delayed by more than three hours, I was only eligible for 600 euros. They would not compensate me for the London to Manchester flight. They referred to EU regulation 261. I couldn't see anything in the regulation that said I wasn't eligible for compensation for the connecting flight.

They've refunded 50 towards the taxi fare but refused to refund the train admin fee.

Can someone point me to the part of the regulation where it says I can't be compensated for a connecting flight, please?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert.
    Originally posted by No_Bob
    I'm afraid BA are right - assuming you had booked a through ticket, Singapore to Manchester on one fare. The Regulation and subsequent case law focuses on the delay to your arrival at your "final destination" not intermediary stops.

If you bought two separate flights, you would have had an additional claim for 250 - assuming the Manchester flight was in fact delayed, and you didn't just miss it because of your incoming delay.

Airlines are not responsible for consequential losses under the Regulation - so to get 50 in addition to 600 is not a bad result IMHO.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Vauban is right as usual, but if you also wanted to pursue the additional outstanding costs you could do that via CEDR, the ADR provider for BA.

I suppose it depends upon how much you feel BA have short changed you.

Good luck.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,680 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    However this is a case where the airlines are having it both ways and the regualtion needs clarification.
    If the second leg London to Manchester had been delayed, you could bet your bottom dollar that BA would have argued that only Euro250 payble as the first leg didn't count. Or am I being cynical?

• CptSupermarket
    • By CptSupermarket 5th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CptSupermarket
    Hi All,

Just though i would add my experience here. I flew to new york in may 2016 and was delayed over 4 hours at jfk prior to disembarking (basically the plane sat in a queue of planes after landing). The reason given was that the airport was using a new system which had gone down. I applied to BA for compensation via resolver when i got back to UK a week later and over the next few months went through all options with BA who were saying i wasn't entitled to compensation as the delay was not their fault.

I assumed i would get nothing once i'd been as far as i could with BA until recently i received an email from resolver which jogged my mind about the case. I then found out about CEDR, applied to CEDR and sent them all the detail of my case and within 3 weeks CEDR had accepted case, reviewed, contacted BA and i received an offer of 600 euros each for myself, partner and daughter. Suffice to say i have accepted just awaiting payment.

So in short don't give up if airline says no!
    Last edited by CptSupermarket; 05-07-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 5th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Not sure if this is the right thread. I booked with AER but flew BA.

My BA flight out of LHR to DUB was delayed which resulted in missing my United flight out of DUB to IAD. I had to take two more flights and eventually arrived BWI at 22.31hrs instead of IAD at 15.25hrs. I had to pay for late night transportation to take me from BWI to DC. $130 (100)

I arrived 7hours later than scheduled and at a different airport. I spent another hour looking for my luggage. I flew 3 planes to get there instead of 2. I fell ill while waiting for my 3rd flight out of stress mostly.

My luggage didn't arrive for another 4days. It was slightly damaged and the last carrier JetBlue were kind and refunded toiletries and clothing expenditure I had to make in the meantime.

Do I complain to BA who operated the flight or to AER who I booked with?

Do I claim compensation and a refund?

Shall I use Resolver? If not how do I do so myself?

Thank you.
    • No_Bob
    • By No_Bob 5th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    No_Bob
    Thanks Vauban, Tyzap. JPears, I think they'd probably try it on at least...
    • Becust
    • By Becust 7th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becust
    I have just received an email from BA denying compensation for a flight cancelled because of the IT blunder. We were supposed to fly BA to Madrid and them Iberia.

BA has emailed telling us go ask Iberia for compensation. It's so bad!

Anyone else having the same problem? BA denying compensation for the cancellations during the IT caos?
    Last edited by Becust; 07-07-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 7th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    If you were due to fly with Iberia BA are correct, you claim from the airline who actually operate the flight.
    • Becust
    • By Becust 7th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becust
    It was a BA flight to Madrid first, then an Iberia longhaul flight to Sao Paulo.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    It was a BA flight to Madrid first, then an Iberia longhaul flight to Sao Paulo.
    Originally posted by Becust
    what was your flight number?
    • beekay1943
    • By beekay1943 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    beekay1943
    After flying down to Heathrow with BA to attend a final at Wembley on 28 May, our return flight to Aberdeen at 9.00pm was cancelled. We could make no contact with BA via their website nor on the phone number supplied. We went to Terminal 5 but were not even allowed access to the Check-in area - BA had left us completely to our own devices re meals, accommodation and alternative travel arrangements. We were aware that some passengers had already spent more than 24 hrs camped within Terminal 5 and some of our party of six Had to get back to work in Aberdeen the following morning (Monday.) Therefore, our party of six hired a six-seater car to get us back to Aberdeen - a 536 mile, 8-hour overnight drive. Followed prolonged communications with BA we had a refund of the cancelled flight fare but NOT for the seats booked at extra cost AND they made a further deduction for a "Cancellation Penalty on Fare." I can find no mention of such a cancellation charge in their T&Cs. BA recently confirmed by email that they would reimburse the cost of the hire car but, within an hour, withdrew this in view of the fact our refund for the cancelled flight fare more than covered the cost of the car hire. Is this justified in view of our having to endure such a long overnight drive? Had we not hired the car, BA would have had to supply all six of us with meals and accommodation for at least one night which would have cost just as much - if not more. We have also received 438.82 as EU Compensation.
    Last edited by beekay1943; 10-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Vauban
    You are entitled to a) compensation of !!!8364;250 per person; b) refund of air fares OR cost of rerouting (in you case by hire car); c) and costs of any meals or accommodation during the duration of delay.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3,680 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    From your details you should be able to claim:
    Refund of your flights in full. BA messed up, not you. They cancelled your flight and didn't offer alternative arrangements.
    Compensation under reg 261/2004 of 250Euro per person.
    Cost of your alternative arrangements/transport difference if greater than the refund for flights.
    BA stand to make a massive loss due to the IT fiasco and will try to distract people with any old BS.
    Download Vauban's guide = all the information you require to proceed should be found in there.

• Sylvia Mahal
    • By Sylvia Mahal 13th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sylvia Mahal
    Can't believe it almost 2 months since the British Airways meltdown on May 27th and they are still not accepting responsibility for it and we still have missing luggage!!!!!

Is anyone else being fobbed off?

We booked with BA to go to Almeria via Madrid, they chose to use Iberia planes, on May 27th. Our flight was cancelled and we had to book with another airline to fly out to Spain on the 30th.

They are trying to say it is not their fault we should be seeking compensation from Iberia.

Help!!

We are now being pushed between the two both saying it is the other airline's problem

What do we do if no one will take responsibility for our compensation and expenses?
    Last edited by Sylvia Mahal; 17-07-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Up date to situation.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,680 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    They are correct. You did not say before that the flight was actually with Iberia. Your claim is against the airline you should have flown with, not who you booked through. ie Iberia, not BA. It would appear that you have not read through Vauban's guide as it clearly states this fact.
    BAs only involvement is the IT meltdown and that they are in the same parent company.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

2,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin