Solar ... In the news

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    rogerblack wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a service - similar to http://solargis.info/ - which provides 15 minutely historical data for a specific spot - or an area.
    The above site does provide exactly what I want - but I need to buy information from a 100km square, for 150 euro. And that's a bit steep when I want a point.
    Hi

Why not pick a couple of representative systems from PVOutput which are sending their data in on a similar frequency and look at their data ?? ... much cheaper !

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Why not pick a couple of representative systems from PVOutput which are sending their data in on a similar frequency and look at their data ?? ... much cheaper !

I was lazy, and hoping to avoid writing a scraper.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Interesting article and a couple of extracts.

China Might Be Winning The Race To Reduce Solar Costs
    Many people, even fanatical advocates of solar power, are unaware quite how close we are to reaching a critical milestone in the industry. Within a fairly short space of time, solar generated electricity will be fully cost competitive with coal-powered electricity -- at least if the governments of the world's two largest energy consuming nations have their way.
    The simple fact is that with both innovation and increased capacity, the cost of solar energy has fallen considerably over the last few years and continues to do so. If, as looks likely, it does become truly cost comparative with coal in the next few years, then the days of cheap, clean, renewable energy dominating the world's two biggest energy markets may be closer than you think.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    ^^^Spammity spaaam, spam spam spam spam - reported.^^^
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Dave_16
    Dave_16 Posts: 43 Forumite
    green_powe wrote: »
    Solar Technology is advanced technology that really saves your much amount of money by utilizing the Natural resources.the domain of Using solar energy is increasing now a days. it is not so complex as it looks. many of us might be worried about their Efficiency. No need to worry many of the Researcher has proven that using Solar energy is more efficient then Ordinary electricity also it is Eco friendly to nature.

Whats this all about, whats your point.
    Pinxton Notts

16 panel 4 Kwp system facing southeast 24Deg. roof. Fitted 06/11/2013
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    theboylard wrote: »
    ^^^Spammity spaaam, spam spam spam spam - reported.^^^

Also reported. As an EFL teacher I'm trying to work out the writer's first language: it certainly isn't English!
  • mac2008
    mac2008 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Storage is coming and it is getting cheaper and easier than ever before...

http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=962&catID=178

A 3.7kWh inverter, 100Ah of Li-ion batteries with room for expansion to 250Ah for £4k. Can also be used for some loads in the event of a power outage by the looks of the diagram.

When the time comes to replace my current inverter, something with integrated battery storage is looking more and more likely.
    My PV system: South West England, 10x 250Wp Trina Solar panels, Fronius Inverter, South facing roof, 35° pitch with no shading.
  • mac2008
    mac2008 Posts: 266 Forumite
    In other good news:

Renewable Energy Share In UK’s Electricity Generation Inches Closer To 20%:

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/07/08/renewable-energy-share-uks-electricity-generation-inches-closer-20/
    My PV system: South West England, 10x 250Wp Trina Solar panels, Fronius Inverter, South facing roof, 35° pitch with no shading.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    mac2008 wrote: »
    Storage is coming and it is getting cheaper and easier than ever before...

http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=962&catID=178

A 3.7kWh inverter, 100Ah of Li-ion batteries with room for expansion to 250Ah for £4k. Can also be used for some loads in the event of a power outage by the looks of the diagram.

When the time comes to replace my current inverter, something with integrated battery storage is looking more and more likely.
    Have you looked at the technical details of those batteries?

Solax Lithium Battery 50ah

Life (25degC/77degF): 10 Years

Life (40degC/122degF): 8 Years

Life Cycles (80% DOD, 25degC/77degF): 4000

Maintenance: Free in quality guarantee period

Backup Duration (Average Power 500W): upto 5hr

Storage Time (25degC/77degF): 6 months power off

Operation Temperature: -25degC - 60degC

Storage Temperature: -40degC - 80degC

Seismic Standard: GR-1089

Transport Standard: UN 3090

EMC Standard: IEC 61000, EN 55022

Environmental Standard: GB/T 2423

Voltage (V): 48

Capacity (Ah): 50

Capacity (Wh): 2400

Height (mm): 132

Length (mm): 442

Width (mm): 370

Weight (kg): 28

Operating Voltage (V): 42-54

Charge Voltage (V): 53.5-56.5

Maximum Discharge Current (A): 50

Maximum Charge Current (A): 10

Leaving aside the operating voltage and maximum charge current,
    why would anyone in a domestic situation consider spending that sort of money for a battery to store 2.4kWh(worth about 25 pence)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback