Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    • 4,131Posts
    • 5,350Thanks
    zeupater
    Solar ... In the news
    • 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    Solar ... In the news 7th Jan 13 at 5:36 PM
    Hi All

Thought it was about time we had a thread specifically to discuss relevant press articles relating to solar pv & thermal ..... so here goes ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 07-01-2013 at 5:48 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Page 113
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Ah! I did wonder. I did a google of MIP, but it came up with all sorts.
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    Could be worse, I'm trying to keep up with all the potential US impeachment and Trump downfall information, but Googling Stormy Daniels is a bit of a minefield!

Regarding the US solar tariffs, I forget if this is a current number or peak number, but I heard there are (were) 1,200 jobs in PV panel production, but approx 250,000 jobs in the PV industry. I'm not a fan of dumping, but I think Trump has failed to see the big picture here if he pushes up the cost of PV .... and steel and aluminium/aluminum too.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Interesting article here looking at the value of PV (small to large scale) when you take all factors into account.

Solar Surprise: Small-Scale Solar A Better Deal Than Big

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 27th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    I saw this on the main Energy forum and thought it was worth reposting here for info:

"I've got a letter here from Mayor of London & Solar Together talking about registering for a London-wide group buying scheme for solar panels.

Their website is www.solartogetherlondon.co.uk and claims around 2000 people have signed up for it so far. Also seems to be supported by my local council which has its own page: www.solartogetherlondon.co.uk/brent which redirects to a page on my council's website.

What do people on MSE think of this?

PS there's a timetable:
    Registration opens – 1 March 2018
    Auction takes place – 18 April 2018
    Personalised offers sent out – early May 2018
    Acceptance ends 15 June 2018
    Installations take place – June to December 2018"
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 27th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    theboylard
    Their estimates for savings on energy usage are massively over rated?!

Reads like a typical sales trick, thats a bit shoddy by the mayors office.

Code:
    Earnings & savings             Rate per kWh            Amount of kWh          Income
     Savings on energy (50%)        16 p                              1980 kWh                   £316 
              Generation Tariff                      3.85 p                           3960 kWh               £152 
    Export Tariff (50%)                  5.03 p                           1980 kWh                  £100           

£568
    Last edited by theboylard; 27-03-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 27th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    theboylard
    Layout on this forum is awful!!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Talking about PV import duties (as we were recently), here's some more news with German panel manufacturer SolarWorld going bankrupt again.

They can't compete against the removal of the MIP (in the future) and ironically because they sell to the US, so will be hit by their recent import tariff announcement.

Whilst it is of course sad to see a loss of manufacturing jobs in the EU, it's important to recognise that very few are employed in the manufacturing, whereas 100's of thousands are employed in the solar industry, and associated supply chains.

Similarly, the number of US jobs in the manufacturing of PV panels peaked at 1,200, whilst 250,000 are employed in the solar industry.

SolarWorld heads back into insolvency

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 29th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Big investments in PV planned by the Saudi's, and I mean BIG!

SoftBank, Saudi sign incredulous 200 GW solar MOU – comment

A memorandum of understanding (MOU) has been signed between the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia and Japan-based SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son, to establish the world’s largest solar PV energy project by 2030. How likely it is to materialize, and what will be done with the power, if it it is realized, however, remains to be seen. Of more interest, says BNEF, is the first 7.2 GW phase.
    Bloomberg further reports that up to US$200 billion could be invested in the 200 GW project which, if realized, would be 100 times bigger than any other planned PV project – the announced 2 GW Solar Choice Bulli Creek PV Plant in Australia and the permited 2 GW Helios PV Plant Phase 1 in Greece – and a third more than what the entire PV industry produced, globally, in 2017.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 29th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 4,131 Posts
    • 5,350 Thanks
    zeupater
    Big investments in PV planned by the Saudi's, and I mean BIG!

SoftBank, Saudi sign incredulous 200 GW solar MOU – comment
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Hi

Isn't this the 'massive' project that's been on the horizon for a few years? ... I seem to remember articles introducing the concept of Saudi Arabia processing bauxite & smelting aluminium at source using large scale solar energy was a development option to reduce the country's exposure to weakening oil prospects ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Apr 18, 7:20 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Tesla Begins Rolling Out Solar Roof Tile Installations In California

Several reports from customers on Twitter show that Tesla Solar Roof installations are starting to get out into the wild, with non-Tesla employees and even customers without a Tesla now getting rooftops full of Tesla’s Solar Roof Tiles.

The installations are exciting to see, as they show that the product is real and that Tesla is testing the waters with its product in low volumes with customers near its factory in Fremont, California. Additionally, it’s fun because we get our first real look into the installation process and the final product itself.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Council turns to solar to tackle fuel poverty for 500 households

North Ayrshire Council has approved a plan to install rooftop solar on up to 500 properties in its housing stock to save residents up to £115 within the first year.

The council’s cabinet approved the plan as part of its Environmental Sustainability & Climate Change Strategy and its strategy to tackle fuel poverty.

Cabinet member for place, councillor Jim Montgomerie, said: “We know that many our tenants struggle to make ends meet and rising energy prices place so much pressure on families, particularly those on low incomes.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Apr 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    PV at 33% efficiency, but don't expect mass production for another 5-10yrs.

Fraunhofer ISE announces 33% efficiency for multi-junction solar cell

Germany’s Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems ISE and equipment manufacturer, EVG have achieved a new efficiency record of 33.3% for a silicon-based multiple solar cell.

The researchers achieved the high conversion efficiency with 0.002 millimeter thin semiconductor layers – less than a twentieth of the thickness of a hair – from III-V compound semiconductors, which were deposited onto a silicon solar cell.

“The layer of the comparatively expensive III-V semiconductor material is so thin that ultimately the material costs are no obstacle,” Frank Dimroth from Fraunhofer ISE told pv magazine. With the success that has now been achieved, Fraunhofer aims to demonstrate the potential of the technology, which achieves a significantly higher degree of efficiency compared to conventional silicon cells.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Staggering claims for the rollout of solar going forward, and its dominance in energy production, and a big shift away from oil with EV's, but look at who's saying it!

Shell envisions central role for solar in new report

Shell’s new report shows a world where solar meets the largest portion of primary energy demand as soon as 2050.
    In Sky, Shell models solar PV growth rates of 20% annually, with all new incremental electricity demand met by solar and wind by the 2030s. Under this measure, solar will reach 6,500 GW of installed capacity by 2035, and from then to 2070, nearly 1,000 GW will be added annually, with the global footprint of PV approaching the area of Spain.

This is accompanied by large increases in wind, biomass and other forms of renewable energy, but none on the scale of PV. In fact, the report sees solar meeting roughly the same portion of primary energy demand as oil in 2050, and becoming the dominant source of global primary energy – not just electricity, but all energy – by 2070.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 6th Apr 18, 7:23 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    The early guesses for 2018 PV deployment are starting:

Chinese solar market strength supports IHS Markit forecast of 113GW of global installs in 2018

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Perovskite carries on carrying on.

It keeps getting closer to deployment and promises of very high efficiency silicon/perovskite in the future look possible.

Solliance achieves 14.5% cell efficiency on perovskite module

• pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 10th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Staggering claims for the rollout of solar going forward, and its dominance in energy production, and a big shift away from oil with EV's, but look at who's saying it!

Shell envisions central role for solar in new report
    All the Oil companies will have to follow the trend and move into renewables, or end up becoming the next Blockbusters. Once they do commit, it can only drive RE forward with even greater speed.
    3.68kW Split E/W & 1.5kW East solar arrays.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    All the Oil companies will have to follow the trend and move into renewables, or end up becoming the next Blockbusters. Once they do commit, it can only drive RE forward with even greater speed.
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    Was it Blockbusters that laughed at the whole concept of Netfix!

Reminds me of a Bob Monkhouse joke - "When I was young I said I wanted to be a comedian, and everyone laughed at me ..... but nobody's laughing now."

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 13th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    So.......... this happened!

Solar Smashes Wind In First German Technology Neutral Tender

Forcing me, once again, to admit I was totally wrong many years ago when I said PV in the UK (similar generation to Germany) wouldn't be cheaper than on-shore wind.

What an incredible decade it's been for PV, vilified by a small number of people for being small, expensive and a waste of money at our latitude, and now the cheapest generation in the world, and doing rather well in sunless Northern Europe too.

Have to admit though that I totally agree with the comments in the article, having auctions that can be won by a singular RE technology is no good. RE only really works with a broad mix of technology, especially in N. Europe.

So perhaps we are closing in on back to front / upside down world, where other technologies now need protection from PV - weird world, but fun to sit back and watch.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 13th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Have to admit though that I totally agree with the comments in the article, having auctions that can be won by a singular RE technology is no good. RE only really works with a broad mix of technology, especially in N. Europe..
    Absolutely. If only to give less ammunition to the critics of RE who, if they were computer experts, would still be proposing big, big, mainframes and dumb terminals. We've always had a grid with diverse inputs and they haven't quite come to terms that the latter are now different, more numerous and under the control and ownership of various people, including consumers.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Two news articles that I may be mis-understanding, but hope are going in the direction I'm thinking:-

So we have the development of BIPV (building integrated PV), which I assume is for uses such as the Copenhagen International School, who's skin generates 50% of their leccy needs.

Fraunhofer ISE, !!!!!! develop production line conceptfor custom design modules

German research institute Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems (ISE) and equipment supplier !!!!!! have jointly developed a production for customizable modules for building-integrated projects. According to Fraunhofer ISE, the concepts developed by joint study could reduce the production cost for BIPV modules as much as 35%.
    [Is S c h m i d a naughty word?]

And talking about cheaper PV, allows me to shoehorn in more perovskite news if the statement below means similar to the above ... what? I don't know, it's not like I get paid to post this nonsense.

Imec tasked with leading EU funded perovskite solar cell R&D program

The ESPResSo team also expected to demonstrate integrating modules in façade elements demonstrating a levelised cost of electricity (LCoE) of !!!8804; 0.05€/kWh.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This article made me laugh, as I've given up being annoyed at the way PV and on-shore wind are treated, and have now descended into hysteria.

If you want to connect a PV or wind farm to the distribution network you will have to pay, that sounds fine, nothing new there.

But now, you have to pay, to find out how much you will have to pay - or pay for a quote, to put it another way. A cost of £2.5k to £10k. Ouch!

Clean energy projects stifled by Tory reforms, says Labour

This week, two of the six companies that run the country’s local electricity grids began making green energy firms pay for an estimate of how much it will cost to connect their solar and windfarms.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin