Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 24th Apr 07, 9:23 AM
    • 2,977Posts
    • 21,467Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    OS Cleaning materials - what should my basics be?
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:23 AM
    OS Cleaning materials - what should my basics be? 24th Apr 07 at 9:23 AM
    Morning all!!

Well my title speaks for itself I think! As well as Stardrops and soda crystals, what should I be buying for my cleaning cupboards? Have just used up the millions of products I used before finding this board, and am now fully ready and willing to be converted!!

Any help appreciated for an OS-er in training xx

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 24-04-2007 at 7:12 PM.
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
Page 1
    • emmie1234
    • By emmie1234 24th Apr 07, 9:28 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    emmie1234
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:28 AM
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:28 AM
    White Vinegar for cleaning glass/mirrors, Bicarbonate of Soda - you can make a paste with it and use it for the grout in your tiles, seals round your bath - I think!!! Get some kitchen cloths that you can chuck in the washer when they're dirty. Can't think of anything else at the mo, I'm quite new to this too, others will probably be able to give loads more ideas!!!!

Em
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 24th Apr 07, 9:30 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:30 AM
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:30 AM
    I would start with microfibre cloths - can be used for almost anything and often with just pain water.

Vinegar - for cleaning, descaling and in the WM. I use brown as I can't get hold of industrial quantities of white easily.

Bi-carb - for deodourising, cleaning, plughole unblocking.

I also admit to using bleach (not very environmentally friendly) but I don't use a lot.

If you have them, lemons are a useful cleaning and degreasing aid and are great for freshening microwaves etc.

HTH
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 24th Apr 07, 9:48 AM
    • 7,696 Posts
    • 15,481 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:48 AM
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:48 AM
    Your local asian or chinese supermarket will sell bicarb and white wine vinegar in industrial quantities for pretty cheap.

Agree on the microfibre cloths, even without any other cleaning equipment this will bring up bathroom sinks etc. You'll need to spend about 99p or more per cloth to get decent ones - tesco value ones at 3 for £1 are rubbish.

My only non-os buys now are bleach mainly for the loo or for tea stains etc, and jif which I use once in a long while for the bath.

• jcr16
    • 24th Apr 07, 1:22 PM
    • 24th Apr 07, 1:22 PM
    baby oil for stainless steel.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Psykicpup
    • By Psykicpup 24th Apr 07, 6:01 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Psykicpup
    • 24th Apr 07, 6:01 PM
    • 24th Apr 07, 6:01 PM
    Dont forget those baby wipes that you use to take your make-up off (or heaven forbid on baby!) can also be used to clean finger prints off doorhandles, light switches & around plug sockets as they arent 'wet' as such - mine often get a 2nd' use (if still fairly clean) to swish & swipe while in in the bathroom!

Other than that I just buy stardrops, white vinegar, bleach & the very occasional bottle of cif with bleach (cif wit blek - love it lol)for those really stubborn jobs - actually it must have been best part of a yr since I bought that so go figure.....do have some Bi-carb but havent tried it on anything yet
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19
  • poppie,s dream
    • 24th Apr 07, 8:36 PM
    • 24th Apr 07, 8:36 PM
    i buy
    washing soda crystals
    lemon juice
    white vinegar
    bicarb soda
    stardops
    supermarkets own make of sterilising fluid

i mix the bicarb with lemon for cleaning fridge ( smells nicer than vinegar) and
    cooker door
    washing soda down drains with half a cup of vinegar also use this in washing machine on empty once a month
    stardrops and vinegar on shower screen to clean soap scum
    then i try and get the family to spray a mixture of vinegar and water out of a plant spray gun after showers keeps the soap scum down
    bicarb and vinegar as a paste on grouting to get rid of black marks or water marks (that orangey stuff )
    that's it i think
  • isabellaUK
    • 24th Apr 07, 10:57 PM
    cleaners
    • 24th Apr 07, 10:57 PM
    Hi just to say you can use salt to clean tea stains from cups/mugs put it in damp and just rub saves bleach taking surface off mugs
    • ClaireLR
    • By ClaireLR 24th Apr 07, 11:06 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    ClaireLR
    • 24th Apr 07, 11:06 PM
    • 24th Apr 07, 11:06 PM
    Just wondered if anyone has any OS tips for cleaning laminate flooring?

Thanks x
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow

• Bollards
    Just wondered if anyone has any OS tips for cleaning laminate flooring?

Thanks x
    Originally posted by ClaireLR
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=3218&highlight=laminate+flooring +clean

The above link has some tips - I hate cleaning mine!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 25th Apr 07, 8:52 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. I am printing off this thread and taking it with me as my shopping list!!

Have a good day everyone xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Tindella
    Thanks for all this. I've tried most places to get white vinegar - most people try to sell me white WINE vinegar - didn't realise I could use the bog-standard brown malt stuff! Shall look for an Asian supermarket, but don't think we have one round here!
  • Adrift

If you have them, lemons are a useful cleaning and degreasing aid and are great for freshening microwaves etc.

HTH
    Originally posted by Ticklemouse
    Lemons are not a cheap way to clean. Given that the price of a lemon is around 15-20p it is not cheap to use lemons as a cleaning alternative. They are kinder to the environment than commercial cleaners though. A little lemon essence or lemon oil can go a long way though.

Regards, Adrift
  • eternal optimist
    Lemons are not a cheap way to clean. Given that the price of a lemon is around 15-20p it is not cheap to use lemons as a cleaning alternative. They are kinder to the environment than commercial cleaners though. A little lemon essence or lemon oil can go a long way though.

Regards, Adrift
    Originally posted by Adrift

4 lemons 48p - Sainsbury's basics.

My concern is what all the freight does to the environment. Does using an environmentally friendly cleaner that has cost the earth to transport make sense? I don't know; i'm just pondering.
  • louiseg
    use your local library for cleaning info
    dear atypicalblonde
    I know this might sound a bit mad but go to your local library and borrow Kim and Aggie's book How clean is your house, it is full of great tips for cleaning products that don't cost the earth and are environmentally friendly.
    Also books on how to clean practically anything. By borrowing the books you will save yourself money.
    Hope this helps,
    Louise G
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 25th Apr 07, 5:45 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I only use lemons when I have one that's "gone over" and I don't want to eat it any more. I agree that they would be an expensive way to clean as well the fact they have probably been flown fro some faraway place. But, better than just binning it. Mind yu, I haven't bought a lemon for ages now - stick to my microfibre cloths and water with stardrops when necessary (although I have to admit I'm still using up my pre-OS cleaning stuff)
  • reggieq1911
    What are stardrops and where do you get them and what do you dowith them?
  • Too Much Telly
    Too Much Telly

My bathroom taps are very soap 'scummy'. Anyone tell me how to clean them?
  • Christmasshopper
    What are stardrops and where do you get them and what do you dowith them?
    Originally posted by reggieq1911
    Stardrops is a O/S multi-surface cleaner. Get it from Morrisons or Wilkinsons for about 60p - 70p a bottle. Dilute some about 3 parts of water to 1 part of stardrops in a spray bottle to clean surfaces and keep some neat for mopping the floor, washing the car, bathing the dog etc.
    There is a whole thread devoted to Stardrops on here. Just use the search box at the top.
    You won't find many things that can't be cleaned with Stardrops and a microfibre cloth.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in.
  • amynut
    You can't beat vinegar and warm water, using newspaper as a wet cloth for windows and mirrors. You get a fab shine too.

Also a squirt of lemon juice on grease spots as you put clothes in the washing machine.

White vinegar (the cheap pickling stuff from the green grocer) for sterilising and removing stains from terry nappies. - My kids nappies are still whiter than white after several years of use.

Baby wipes are fantastic (and handy) for dusty plant leaves and those pesky skirting boards.

And good old fashioned Ajax/Vim on bathroom sinks etc.- you can still get it on market stalls and sometimes wilko's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,578Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter