Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fimonkey
    • By fimonkey 12th Dec 12, 1:03 PM
    • 1,213Posts
    • 715Thanks
    fimonkey
    I need a new kitchen - where on earth do I start?
    • 12th Dec 12, 1:03 PM
    I need a new kitchen - where on earth do I start? 12th Dec 12 at 1:03 PM
    Help please, what are your suggestions?

I need a new kitchen, designed and fitted (I don't even want to lift a paintbrush after my bathroom DIY disaster). Where on earth do I start? I'm not even sure what styles I like yet, until I see what they would look like in my existing space.

I tried to book a 'kitchen designer' appointment with Tesco, they called, told me their starting price was 4K and I needed to know what styles I liked before they would come out. Same with Homebase - I need to visit their store and choose a kitchen (but how can I choose without seeing it on a computer in the space I have?)

I tried the IKEA online kitchen design, but my computer is so slow it couldn't cope, plus IKEA is 35 mile away.

A friend said "buy the units from wicks and get a local builder in to fit - much cheaper" - would be if I even had half a brain cell to know what I need to buy and where the units should go etc (it really needs a completely new design).

My kitchen is 3m by 2.5m, so not huge. I want intergrated appliances too (washing machine, oven, hob and fridge freezer) and given what Tesco said I am guessing it will be in the region of £4K plus.

If it is this amount (I foolishly thought it would be much less when I saw wicks prices, but realise this is without all the add ons) then I would need to take out a loan to pay it. Iam considering the 4 years free credit options which are only available if you use their fitting services etc - but overall is it really a deal? I can pay it off in 4 years but is the overall cost much higher than the 'wicks and local builder' option? (for which I would nee a loan too, about 9%APR from my bank).

Confused - and the 'free kitchen design' offers are not what they seem to be,

Where do I start getting the best job for the best price without having the hassle?
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Dec 12, 1:09 PM
    • 18,781 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    richardw
    • 12th Dec 12, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 1:09 PM
    You've go to start with the basic triangle, hob-sink-fridge and where you want this in your kitchen.

Go for a look round the diy store showrooms just to pick up ideas of what you like and don't like and to magnet and howdens.
    Last edited by richardw; 12-12-2012 at 1:12 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 12th Dec 12, 3:11 PM
    • 5,858 Posts
    • 12,054 Thanks
    krlyr
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:11 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:11 PM
    You could probably find a "kitchens forum" to post for advice on and have some local-ish kitchen fitters do you some designs or offer some kind of deal to get your custom in this climate - I imagine there's a fair few fitters eager to get some new custom in.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 12th Dec 12, 3:26 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    Niv
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:26 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:26 PM
    I do believe your best start is to go around the diy sheds and have a look at their offerings, and pick up their brosures. You will know from looking at their display models what sort of style you like etc. I also agree with richardw above, you should have an idea where you want the 'non moveables' (sink, hob fridnge).

Once you know what designs you like you can start to look at suppliers. Some people suggest avoiding places like b&q entirely, but this is not always the simplest / most cost effective solution for everyone.

As for who to fit, it comes down to if you can find/ can find atrustwirthy fitter. i am sure there are a lot out there but finding the good ones is not always easy. Do you knwo anyone that has had a kichen fitted recently etc? Where did they go, did they use an independant fitter? If you buy the kitchen from b&q (for example) and got an independant fitter, how easy is it to get replacements bits if thigns get damaged / broken during installation? (Equally - I am assuming that this is more straight forward if you use the 'in house' fittters but cannot say for sure).
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • Melaniep101
    • By Melaniep101 12th Dec 12, 3:36 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Melaniep101
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:36 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:36 PM
    Here's what we did when we were getting a new kitchen:

1. Look through some house magazines to decide on a style/feel (traditional/modern/country/minimalist)
    2. Went on Check a Trade to find a kitchen installer with great reviews
    3. Had several quotes for fitting from different installers
    4. Choose your installer
    5. Find out if they recommend a particular kitchen supplier - We went with Benchmarx on our installers recommendation (Benchmarx/Howdens have showrooms so go and have a look)
    6. We then got Benchmarx in to design the kitchen (try different layouts)
    7. Once we were happy with the design, we bought the kitchen and our fitter did the rest.

Can't emphasise enough how important a good fitter is, a good one can make a cheap kitchen look amazing! Ours was fantastic and did everything bar the plastering and electrics.

Hope that helps.
    Save £12k in 2016: #005. £1000/£12,000

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2016: #51 £300/£10,000
    • curlywurly82
    • By curlywurly82 12th Dec 12, 3:44 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    curlywurly82
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:44 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:44 PM
    find a trusted locak builder/fitter. They will have accounts with places like Howdens and Magnets which have showrooms for you to go and look and choose, and have kitchen designers to come out and measure your kitchen and plan it for you. i think it will be the builder who has to arrange the appointment but basically it is generally free.

They will then pass on the price of the kitchen to the builder (as he will get trade prices not the prices shown in the books etc) and well it is up to the builder what he will charge you - you are effectively buying the kitchen of him.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 12th Dec 12, 3:47 PM
    • 20,008 Posts
    • 15,138 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:47 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 3:47 PM
    I had the same problem OP.

I went to Wickes and they designed it and quoted me a very high price. I then went and found a local fitter (I actually found 3 from mybuilder). 1 was OK, 1 wouldn't do tiling and 1 was perfect.

He then suggested I look at the styles of Howdens or Benchmarx. He then went to local Travis Perkins (which had Benchmarx showroom). They then redesigned and measured it all up. I bought the appliances myself from Appliances Online (I knew what type of oven and hob I wanted).

He then fitted, tiled etc. the whole thing and the job was very well done.
    • cddc
    • By cddc 12th Dec 12, 7:53 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    cddc
    • 12th Dec 12, 7:53 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 7:53 PM
    Lots of good advice on this thread so far and I would add that you should not be afraid of kitchen designers and going to see them. Free design services are exactly that when you go to the sheds or the trade chains, and this will mostly be true of independents also.

What you should watch out for, are the type that plan and sell in the home, those who charge you a deposit for visiting you etc.. Despite the demise of a few in recent years there are still plenty of sharks about and I would very loosely say that Tesco's are on the edge of that. Anyone who offers you free fitting is not being entirely honest with you. You are paying for it somewhere.

At the end of the day, a Designer with a multiple will design easily well over 150 kitchens a year in most branches, in some many more than that, and a good one will sell half of them. They are used to not selling everything they plan, so whilst you will get a sales pitch, you will not get thumbscrews, and though of course they want you to buy from them, at the end of the day they are not be too upset if you dont. And because they design so many, they will probably come up with a few better ideas than you could with an online planner.
    Yes it may mean spending a few days trawling the stores and a few hours of your life that you will not get back, but you will almost certainly get a better kitchen for it.
    Last edited by cddc; 12-12-2012 at 9:45 PM.
  • xmandyx
    • 12th Dec 12, 11:26 PM
    • 12th Dec 12, 11:26 PM
    Managed to get onto my old account
    Last edited by xmandyx; 13-12-2012 at 4:07 PM.
    • cddc
    • By cddc 13th Dec 12, 2:04 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    cddc
    luvverly.

...and I work for them...

Agree with most of that in all honesty, but would never, ever, put it like that on here..

And when, exactly, xmandyx, did you buy this kitchen on a finance package which kicks in next week for the Winter Sale (when we will be competitive by the way)
    • adamg
    • By adamg 13th Dec 12, 3:02 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    adamg
    I cannot fault them....they really have the wow factor. I have had kitchens from the other big ones in the past as have family and friends and it is just nightmare after nightmare. My poor brother has had two floods from the dishwasher in the past 12 months alone. Nothing has gone right for them and he needs a new kitchen with the state it is in after only a few years. He has had awful customer service.
    Originally posted by xmandyx
    As you work for Wickes why did your brother not buy from you???
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • xmandyx
    Haha!! I see its still the same here when someone tries to help!
    I don't work for them, I am a customer who is very happy with my purchase! Where did I day I worked for them and that I got a finance package?
    I have nothing to do with them and my brother chooses where he shops from recommendation which turned out to be a nightmare for him!
    Sheesh just because it is my first post! I have been on this site for years, I forgot my password and the stupid verification words to prove I'm not a robot is failing ti tecognise my input....after several attempts...both by vision and it speaking words.

However I have a new found urge to get my old account back and post exactly the same thing....from my posts you will see I am a cake decorator....hence my love for a good kitchen!!

Had a good laugh on this cold day...thanks for that!!
    • adamg
    • By adamg 13th Dec 12, 3:46 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    adamg

They are owned by Travis Perkins, so they have the best fitters in your area and are their work is fully checked out.
    Originally posted by xmandyx
    Making false statements like this does not help, I don't know of any fitters who would willingly work for Wickes due to their payment terms. How do you know their fitters are better then ones employed by Homebase, Magnet or an independent?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • cddc
    • By cddc 13th Dec 12, 4:09 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    cddc
    Making false statements like this does not help, I don't know of any fitters who would willingly work for Wickes due to their payment terms. How do you know their fitters are better then ones employed by Homebase, Magnet or an independent?
    Originally posted by adamg
    Eh....also making false statements that no fitters willingly work for Wickes is just as misleading as xmandyx's statement that because Wickes are owned by TP they have the best fitters (mine are great, but they dont work for us because we are part of Travis Perkins!). Most of ours prefer to work for us rather than the competition because of less problems with delivery, guaranteed work , and compared with many others, reasonable payment terms.

Does that mean we have the best fitters out there and that anybody who fits for anyone else is rubbish? Of course not!

Are fitters unwilling to work for us? Of course not!

Hey it is a free country, you can choose who you work for.
    • Russe11
    • By Russe11 13th Dec 12, 4:14 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Russe11
    work out your budget must be step 1?
  • xmandyx
    Did not log into new account :/
  • specialK
    Well I managed to gain access to my old account

I really don't understand the beef of these people who were not even asking for help!

I am guilty of being sold something that I absolutely love!! Clearly you would fall asleep if you came to my house and got the guided tour!!

I can't answer your cynical questions, I can only say how pleased I am with my purchase and the general experience I had.

I have never been so happy....by all means, think what you like, but I really don't understand where you are coming from?

I don't need to explain myself to you and OP will go about buying their purchase on their own judgement on what they are shown. I found them to be the best, based on what I was shown when out and about looking. It is somewhere I can go back to should any problem arise.

Like I say, I don't have all the answers you are looking for, mainly because it is of no interest to me!! I spent over a week with the guys who came to mine and there is a general rapport built!! I am speaking from personal experience...not fact, just my opinion!
    We are not put on this earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other.
    If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.
    --- Jeff Warner
  • specialK
    Hello Fimonkey....I'm sorry I seemed to have caused uproar on your thread!!

I only popped to the forum to see if there were any new christmas tree pics up lol Came to this board to see if I could see anything about a party wall problem I am having and saw this thread and I was in my element!!

I would advise you go and 'look' in person at what you are buying. Only then will you see it's quality and if it's worth what you asked to pay for it.

Good luck and I hope you get all you wish for at the best price!
    If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.
    --- Jeff Warner
    • cddc
    • By cddc 13th Dec 12, 5:06 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    cddc
    So SpecialMandy....No problem from me with posts praising Wickes Kitchens. But I know a sales pitch when I see one...why deny it? I don't. You sounded like you had just come off a DC training course.....

We dont need spam to sell our kitchens..leave that to Howdens..they have been at it today too..

If you stand behind your post, why have you taken it down?
  • specialK
    cddc....if I have came across like I have a sales pitch...I have recently been given one when I bought mine!!

I have no connection with Wickes except as a customer!

I have taken my post down because I was accused of being a spammer. I admit I may have been enthusiastic and probably rambled on a bit. But I am just made up with my kitchen. After having one resembling something from Doppledown Farm, I am on a bit of a high!!

I put it in simple terms for the OP, I have no sales pitch. I went into the market blind and went with the one I was most impressed with OP may have a different view point from mine, thats why I suggested to get out there and look.

I just didn't want to explain myself out of something because I was a 'newbie' and make the thread all about that!
    --- Jeff Warner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

3,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin