Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 14th Sep 04, 1:38 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Faxes without a fax machine
    • 14th Sep 04, 1:38 AM
    Faxes without a fax machine 14th Sep 04 at 1:38 AM
    Free Fax Receiving For Web Users

For those people who want to receive faxes, it is possible to do so without a fax machine. !

How? Download the software from http://home.efax.com/s/r/FreeUK this should take you directly to Efax Free, but do ensure it is that and not Efax Plus. !You will then be allocated your own number for peopel to fax to. !

How do they make money? The system is completely free for you to use. !The key to the company's revenue raising is the phone number. !The number you are allocated is a 0870 national rate number.

This means whomever is faxing you pays roughly 8p/min during the day, and less at evenings and weekends.

It's therefore a more expensive call than normal, and efax gets a cut of this revenue. !However as a cheap system for those who need to receive faxes on occassion, its a useful tool.
Page 1
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 14th Sep 04, 4:08 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 14th Sep 04, 4:08 AM
    Re: Faxes without a fax machine
    • 14th Sep 04, 4:08 AM
    http://home.efax.com/s/r/FreeUK is a better/more direct link to sign up for a UK 0870 number and its quite a reliable service

However, before you sign up please read the "Customer Agreement" carefully.

For instance, if you receive more than 20 faxes/month they will ask you to upgrade and they will also occasionaly email you adverts.

Regads
    Sunil
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 15th Sep 04, 2:05 AM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 15th Sep 04, 2:05 AM
    • 15th Sep 04, 2:05 AM
    Thanks Sunil - have updated the top post with your link
  • LincsLad
    • 15th Sep 04, 2:15 AM
    • 15th Sep 04, 2:15 AM
    It might be worth mentioningthis link, for those who want to just send the occasional fax, but have no need to receive them: http://www.tpc.int/

• Ickle_Steve
    • 24th Sep 04, 3:28 PM
    • 24th Sep 04, 3:28 PM
    An alternative is YAC Number Basic http://www.yac.com.
    As efax but the fax is sent to your email address as either a PDF or TIFF document. This means there is no software to download.
    From their home page choose "YAC Number", then "Try our YAC Number BASIC service for free" icon.
    Depending on how you set it up, this service also offers voicemail to email.
    I've used the free fax to email service for over two years with no problems.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 24th Sep 04, 4:23 PM
    • 26,399 Posts
    • 35,827 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 24th Sep 04, 4:23 PM
    • 24th Sep 04, 4:23 PM
    Please be aware that once your fax/phone number gets out into the real world you are open to junk faxes at all times of the day(and night). No great problem when the computer is on but not so nice at 2o'clock in the morning. We had a spell when the phone rang up to 4 times a night , the computers sending the junk don't give up.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Sep 04, 6:02 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 24th Sep 04, 6:02 PM
    • 24th Sep 04, 6:02 PM
    Thats one of the advantages of this fax. It doesn't ring you it rings your special number and you just get an email so even junk faxes dont wake you up
  • Matt_F-Smith
    • 24th Sep 04, 6:46 PM
    • 24th Sep 04, 6:46 PM
    how about this one instead?
    It allows you to SEND faxes for free (7day trial) just cancel before the time is up

the system works by sending emails as a fax message

www.pumafax.co.uk

Matt
    • derrick
    • By derrick 24th Sep 04, 7:02 PM
    • 7,124 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    derrick
    • 24th Sep 04, 7:02 PM
    • 24th Sep 04, 7:02 PM
    Am surprised at Martin endorsing 0870 numbers
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Sep 04, 12:21 AM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Actually I have no problem whatsoever with 0870 numbers. My problem comes with two things

i. People call them national rate numbers without explaining how expensive that is - i'd prefer them to be called premium national rate numbers

ii. The use of these revenue making numbers by companies on their customer service lines and complaint lines. Thus meaning if you complain they make money

In this case it is a totally free service, with no other way of making revenue, i wish they explained it better in their literature, but i don't really have a problem with 0870 in this context, as long as people are aware of it.

martin
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    I haven't used this Free Fax but it seems it may be useful for those who just want to send a fax rather than receive one.

http://www.burnham-on-sea.co.uk/fax.html
    • derrick
    • By derrick 26th Sep 04, 2:43 PM
    • 7,124 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    derrick
    As a sponsor and with an affilliated link to "SAYNOTO0870.COM" I still cannot see how you can endorse any 0870/0845 numbers,as someone is making money out of these numbers,and as the SAYNO site implies we should be saying NO. This way you put yourself in both camps and it smacks of hypocrisy.

Surely if someone needs to receive a fax by this means ,they have access to a computer and it is easier and quicker to use Email at no cost to anyone except whatever they are paying for there internet service,but that is being paid anyway!

I do not mean to be horrible about this but it is my opinion that we should disown these numbers and not
    condone them, but what the hell,it is your site.

And just for the record I love this site.

• colin_tomlinson
    I signed up for the efax service, but was given an 0871 number, which costs the caller 10p/minute at all times, not just during the day. !My pop-up blocker prevented the window that downloads their software and viewing recent blocked pop-ups didn't seem to work.

I tried YAC service and can't find any way of registering for a free service, except to have an 07092 number that costs the caller 31p+/mniute and I'd need to have a minimum monthly usage.

Until now, I've been using my Windows fax (just need to switch it on and it's working). Type your fax and then press print and select the fax - but you can also use their wizard if this is too difficult(?)!

It's ideal for complaining to companies with crap service because it only costs pence to send (1p if using 18866) and there aren't any printing or postage costs, except for the company to whom I'm complaining! !It also means I keep a copy on my PC. Unlike an email, the paper copy at the other end is not so easy for lazy employees to delete!

However, to receive faxes, I need to be by the PC to tell it to receive a fax. !I've solved this problem by using BT's Call Minder Premier (not the basic Call Minder service), a voicemail service that can handle faxes, but this does cost about 4/month (in total). !A good alternative to needing an additional line, cheap if you're self-employed/etc, but I'm sure there must be a cheaper method.

Quite why an ordinary voicemail service can't handle faxes, I'm not sure. !It's only a case of recording the sounds, surely? ![I know the receiving machine needs to offer a signal as well, but how is this different from a voicemail greeting?]
  • RobP86
    Hi everyone. This is my first post so I apologise if I've done something wrong.

I signed up for this free fax software but when I tested it this morning, I got an error message thus:

"Sorry, this service is no longer available"

Maybe it's worth testing your own to check.

RobP

PS Thank you Martin, the site is fantastic.
  • MarkBoyce
    *advert warning*, but with Martins permission...

Sorry to invade the thread with an advert but I couldn't think of anywhere else sensible to put it.

We also run a fax service, which converts faxes to PDF and then emails them to you.

I can offer this to MSE peeps free based on an 0870 (national rate) number.

This has two main advantages over the discussed options. No special fax software needed by you to receive faxes and a number which can be dialled from most overseas locations.

If anyone's interested please drop me an email at telecoms@darkorigins.com and I'll give you the low down. (Sorry no web details yet, it's so new I'm still writing the pages :-)

.... and now back to your normal service ....
  • LoveRV
    Can those 0870 efaxes receive fax from abroad ??
    Hi Martin & Everyone,

Can I receive fax from abroad if I use those 0870 efaxes??
    I believe I can send efaxes to abroad. Am I correct?

I will just use efaxes occasionally.
    Many thanks for your help guys.

Kind Rgds,
    • spud17
    • By spud17 30th Nov 07, 8:17 PM
    • 4,265 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    spud17
    What's wrong with the built in fax on XP?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 2nd Dec 07, 7:27 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    the built in fax on XP
    56k modems, - how very quaint

Even that article suggests
    "an Internet-based fax service might work best for you. Visit the sites of Internet faxing services, among them Efax and Faxaway"
    Last edited by bob_a_builder; 02-12-2007 at 7:29 PM.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 2nd Dec 07, 10:08 PM
    • 4,265 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    spud17
    Depends how much you use Fax.
    I just left the old dialup modem installed and setup Fax.
    I'm only a very occasional user, but by coincidence I received one this evening with a spec for a pc from a non pc owning person.

Loads easier than going out in the weather we have here at the moment.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 5th Dec 07, 11:26 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    anactuary
    End of free efax?
    Has anyone had an email saying the free service iis ending? MIne pasted below:
    ------
    I am contacting you today in regards to your free efax account.

There has been a change in the Ofcom Regulations and due to this your number is affected.

If you wish to keep this number we would like to inform you that you have the opportunity to upgrade your number to an eFax plus account.

The number you have currently will cease to operate early next year. If you would like to discuss this please contact myself on the number supplied.

Efax plus

-130 free incoming pages per month
    -up to 5 users
    -PDF, TIF or EFX
    -One year online fax Storage
    -6p per outgoing page per minute
    -8p per incoming page per minute
    -Cost 7.50 per month or 75.00 per Annum

We value your business, and appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin