Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 57
    • By 33333 7th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    I was slightly misled by other sellers of the same type of item offering International Shipping through Ebay's Global Shipping program in the region of $14-15 - hence thought, even though International Shipping wasn't specified, it would cost similar. With the USPS calculator the best bet is usually weight based as otherwise it becomes extortionally expensive. Currently the seller quotes me just below $40, however even outside the Global Shipping program some other sellers (again of the same type of item) offer First or Priority International shipping below $30, hence it must be possible. Re: worth it - relative, would be nice to have it, particularly as it was won below the VAT-threshold and some other offerings of that item go for 3 times the price (not that it is worth that much..).
    So if anyone could come up with the equivalents of UK's P2GO, parcelplease and the likes for the US that would be fab!
    • slipd
    • By slipd 9th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    slipd
    Hi guys,

I need a PC picked up and safely delivered? Not too much to ask is it

I would like it collected remotely with no printing required. Once packaged I can't imagine the item weighing more than 15kg. I'm not 100% on the packed dimensions but it'll be normal sized? - nothing abnormal.

Insurance? I'm thing something around the 100 mark?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    • sta4d63
    • By sta4d63 9th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sta4d63
    Ombudsman or reguator for parcel couriers/brokers
    Does anyone one know of a regulator that monitors this type of business. I have a real concern they are using some hidden term to dishonestly generate extra income.

I won't turn this into a rant because I would go on forever and I don't think anyone would appreciate that. But... I've had a real issue with Interparcel.com, a parcel broker, and it's gone on for more than a year.

I booked a parcel via their online portal, it was collected and delivered to the final destination - great! Later I got a demand for 50+ as they said I had under-declared the sizes. I send the same parcels all the time so I was a little confused and asked for evidence. They sent me three numbers on an otherwise blank .pdf and called that a report. I asked for proper evidence and clarification, as it all seemed a little detached and they were being quite irrational and a little aggressive. Telling me to send them photos of my dispatched and delivered parcel next to a tape measure? Crazy! In the end i said, "do what you will". Despite threats of court and debt collectors, they sent 1 letter and then all went quiet. That is, until this month, 1 year later. A business that shares a post code with me suddenly had their access to Interparcel's services blocked. They had been using Interparcel for almost 11 years. When they phoned, the message to them was basically, "Tough, you have a debtor in the vacinity". Obviously, they were referring to me - I am not a debtor as they have never actually sent me a bill... just threats. It really is bazaar and quite frightening, to think someone in their office has been festering for more than a year, over my refusal to accept their dubious demands.

I tweeted them asking for an explanation, I was ignored. I have tried to communicate with Directors, I was ignored. Then I started to read reviews other customers had left. There were so many upset customers saying they had been charged a similar or in some cases a 125 admin fee. When they asked why, they got no reasonable explanation and again, no evidence. I will accept, I have been tweeting them quite a bit but all I wanted was an explanation. They have blocked me now.

There are hundreds of dissatisfied customers if twitter, facebook and trustpilot reviews are anything to go by. But there seems to be no way an individual can challenge this suspect practice. They need to answer questions and I can not see the problem with that, if there is nothing to hide.

Sorry, that nearly did turn into a rant.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 9th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Does anyone one know of a regulator that monitors this type of business. I have a real concern they are using some hidden term to dishonestly generate extra income.

I won't turn this into a rant because I would go on forever and I don't think anyone would appreciate that. But... I've had a real issue with Interparcel.com, a parcel broker, and it's gone on for more than a year.

I booked a parcel via their online portal, it was collected and delivered to the final destination - great! Later I got a demand for 50+ as they said I had under-declared the sizes. I send the same parcels all the time so I was a little confused and asked for evidence. They sent me three numbers on an otherwise blank .pdf and called that a report. I asked for proper evidence and clarification, as it all seemed a little detached and they were being quite irrational and a little aggressive. Telling me to send them photos of my dispatched and delivered parcel next to a tape measure? Crazy! In the end i said, "do what you will". Despite threats of court and debt collectors, they sent 1 letter and then all went quiet. That is, until this month, 1 year later. A business that shares a post code with me suddenly had their access to Interparcel's services blocked. They had been using Interparcel for almost 11 years. When they phoned, the message to them was basically, "Tough, you have a debtor in the vacinity". Obviously, they were referring to me - I am not a debtor as they have never actually sent me a bill... just threats. It really is bazaar and quite frightening, to think someone in their office has been festering for more than a year, over my refusal to accept their dubious demands.

I tweeted them asking for an explanation, I was ignored. I have tried to communicate with Directors, I was ignored. Then I started to read reviews other customers had left. There were so many upset customers saying they had been charged a similar or in some cases a 125 admin fee. When they asked why, they got no reasonable explanation and again, no evidence. I will accept, I have been tweeting them quite a bit but all I wanted was an explanation. They have blocked me now.

There are hundreds of dissatisfied customers if twitter, facebook and trustpilot reviews are anything to go by. But there seems to be no way an individual can challenge this suspect practice. They need to answer questions and I can not see the problem with that, if there is nothing to hide.

Originally posted by sta4d63
    It would probably be Trading Standards. The problem is that they don't explain that it not necessary actual weight and size but volume. It also is not normally the broker but the actual courier who carries the parcels that has charged the broker, who has passed the charge on to you with a little bit on top. You can underpay on loads of parcels before one is randomly checked and found to be underpaid.

As unfortunately you have found out, ignoring invoices, even if they don't take you to court can end badly. Pay what you owe or ignore it and endure the wrath of your neighbouring businesses. There is no regulator that is going to take your case on and fight for you.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 33,549 Posts
    • 28,508 Thanks
    custardy

Originally posted by sta4d63
    You ignored them,now you feel they are in the wrong ignoring you?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    Hi guys,

I would like it collected remotely with no printing required. Once packaged I can't imagine the item weighing more than 15kg. I'm not 100% on the packed dimensions but it'll be normal sized? - nothing abnormal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by slipd
    It is probably too much too ask unless you know the exact weight and dimensions. You could try shiply or something like that which is basically a man with a van who isn't tied down to a system that expects exact figures. Insurance might also be a bit of an issue as many couriers exclude PCs .

However, couriers are not my field so I'll leave it to someone else to make other suggestions.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 33,549 Posts
    • 28,508 Thanks
    custardy
    Hi guys,

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Is this something you have purchased?
    You will be reliant on the senders packaging quality?
    • slipd
    • By slipd 9th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    slipd
    Is this something you have purchased?
    You will be reliant on the senders packaging quality?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Yup, it certainly is. It's sound, the remote party sent it in the end using parcelforce24, booked via Interparcel, it was about 15 with 100 insurance
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Feb 18, 6:06 AM
    • 33,549 Posts
    • 28,508 Thanks
    custardy
    Yup, it certainly is. It's sound, the remote party sent it in the end using parcelforce24, booked via Interparcel, it was about 15 with 100 insurance
    You posted looking for courier recommendations at 10:40am and it was delivered by 6:53pm on the same day?
    • slipd
    • By slipd 10th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    slipd
    No, no - I wish that were the case though

I expect I'll be seeing it on Tuesday. It was a local, 'collection only' sale that the seller didn't really want to send because of the size/weight and nature of the item. I was just trying to sort everything from my end to reassure him.

Didn't need to in the end, as he did it all for me.

Thanks all.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 33,549 Posts
    • 28,508 Thanks
    custardy
    No, no - I wish that were the case though

I expect I'll be seeing it on Tuesday. It was a local, 'collection only' sale that the seller didn't really want to send because of the size/weight and nature of the item. I was just trying to sort everything from my end to reassure him.

Didn't need to in the end, as he did it all for me.

Thanks all.
    So as I said,you are reliant on the senders packaging.
    We have seen many many cases where the recipient organises a courier and it gets damaged in transit.
    Then theres no claim as the packaging is insufficient (often the reason the item is collect only originally)
    something to be aware of in future.
    • slipd
    • By slipd 10th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    slipd
    So as I said,you are reliant on the senders packaging.
    We have seen many many cases where the recipient organises a courier and it gets damaged in transit.
    Then theres no claim as the packaging is insufficient (often the reason the item is collect only originally)
    something to be aware of in future.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Duly noted, think I should be okay. The sender seemed really sure about packing it up, it's actually being sent in its original box iirc.

Thanks.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    Duly noted, think I should be okay. The sender seemed really sure about packing it up, it's actually being sent in its original box iirc.

Thanks.
    Glad you got it sorted. For future reference though be aware that if you organise your own courier and there is an issue then you may struggle with a claim to recover the item cost- you obviously lose the courier cost regardless.

Also, hopefully this PC was double boxed and not just sent in the original box. Quite often electricals are boxed for pallet delivery so whilst they are secure and safe within the packaging they are designed to only withstand one way up pallet delivery. Once you send something as a standalone box it needs to be packed to withstand dropping from a great height or having heavier items thrown on top of it at an angle.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • gjs1701
    • By gjs1701 10th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    gjs1701
    I have been having a clear out and selling quite a bit of stuff on ebay. I've been using Parcel Hero for the heavier packages and sending by UPS.

The first time Parcel Hero was great. Every time after that, they've always upped the price from their initial estimate. I put in the buyers postcode, with the parcel details and the PH gives me a price. I pass that price on to my buyer who pays. Then I fill in all the details including the buyers full address and PH says, because of that exact address you price has changed to ... and adds 3 or 4 quid to the price.

Quite frankly, that sucks and I will not be using them again.

UPS however are faultless, I drop of at my local convenience store and they deliver next day without fail.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Feb 18, 7:09 AM
    • 33,549 Posts
    • 28,508 Thanks
    custardy
    I have been having a clear out and selling quite a bit of stuff on ebay. I've been using Parcel Hero for the heavier packages and sending by UPS.

The first time Parcel Hero was great. Every time after that, they've always upped the price from their initial estimate. I put in the buyers postcode, with the parcel details and the PH gives me a price. I pass that price on to my buyer who pays. Then I fill in all the details including the buyers full address and PH says, because of that exact address you price has changed to ... and adds 3 or 4 quid to the price.

UPS however are faultless, I drop of at my local convenience store and they deliver next day without fail.
    Originally posted by gjs1701
    When you say buyers postcode. Are you putting in the full postcode on the quote?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin

This is weird as in the UK we don't tend to have changes to postal quotes for regions- usually only off shore(including Isle of Wight etc) and the Highlands are different. If you are giving mainland postcodes which then change your quote then something is wrong.

I for instance put all my postage in the listing, I get my weight and size and can guarantee how much that is going to cost, there is never any surprise. Are you sure you are not seeing the difference say between the quote with or without VAT?
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 11th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    With Parcel Hero the prices do seem to change between the initial quote and actually buying. Even if you go straight from quote to buying. It is why they appear cheaper than everyone else.

It is one of the many many reasons I stopped using them. Try Parcel2go as they seem to offer cheap prices without all the games.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    dj1471
    Then I fill in all the details including the buyers full address and PH says, because of that exact address you price has changed to ... and adds 3 or 4 quid to the price.
    My suspicion is that this is a 'residential address' surcharge, these are commonly charged by the likes of UPS and FedEx and the amount is about right. That doesn't excuse Parcel Hero not including it in the original quote of course.
    • bluehydrangeas
    • By bluehydrangeas 24th Feb 18, 4:23 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    bluehydrangeas
    I've got an item listed on ebay that is scheduled to end next week. I am planning on using DPD Dropoff via Interparcel to post it. I normally use Royal Mail for items under 1kg, but the item in question is much heavier. Anyone have any experiences with Interparcel? I checked Parcel2go but they were quoting around 2 more than Interparcel for the exact same service. Also wanted to enquire, when you are buying insurance for a parcel, are you supposed to use the value you paid for it originally or the price you sold it at?
    • slipd
    • By slipd 24th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    slipd
    I've got an item listed on ebay that is scheduled to end next week. I am planning on using DPD Dropoff via Interparcel to post it. I normally use Royal Mail for items under 1kg, but the item in question is much heavier. Anyone have any experiences with Interparcel? I checked Parcel2go but they were quoting around 2 more than Interparcel for the exact same service. Also wanted to enquire, when you are buying insurance for a parcel, are you supposed to use the value you paid for it originally or the price you sold it at?
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas
    I used Interparcel/DPD Drop-off last week, at my local Curry's actually. Excellent service! 8kg computer, insured to 150 (my valuation) and delivered in 4 days, including the weekend. Tracking was good although it was delivered a day earlier than the recipient was told. Would definitely use again.

Insurance is a tricky one... Covering against loss or damage, neither you or the buyer want to be out of pocket if things go south do you? I insured to what I estimated the item to be worth.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,901Users online

Martin's Twitter