Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    siber
    *real* Money Moral Dilemma
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:07 AM
    *real* Money Moral Dilemma 20th Apr 07 at 10:07 AM
    Hi Everyone! Hope the MSE people don't mind my posting of a dilemma ,
    but I've got a *REAL* one and would appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice...

Siber, 24, lives with his 21 year old brother Mark and walks to work everyday. However, last year ago he saved up £4000 to replace his old banger with a much newer car which he plans to keep for the next 5-7 years or so, as he regularly drives to the South of England from Manchester to see friends and relations.

Mark has also recently bought a much cheaper car which he races around for fun. He drives to work every day, and is a bit of a boy-racer about it. However, this car needs to have the engine repaired.

Realising that his car needs a repair, Mark has asked Siber whether it would be possible to use Siber's car to drive to work for a few days. Siber probably won't need the car in that time, and Mark's promised to pay for diesel and the additional insurance premium to have his name added onto Siber's insurance policy. Because... brotherly love and all...

However, Siber's a bit worried about the prospect of Mark driving the car that he saved up for 4 years to buy. Although he has fully comprehensive insurance, because of Siber's age (24) any accident would cut his 7 years no claims discount which really needs to cut his annual premium to an affordable level. And seeing how Mark drives his car, ragging it around the streets, Siber fears that the chances of an accident are higher than he'd wish - especially as it'd be an unfamiliar car.

Should Siber let his brother drive his car for a few days, taking the risk that he'll crash it? :confused:
    Last edited by siber; 20-04-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Page 1
    • Little Miss Winner
    • By Little Miss Winner 20th Apr 07, 10:10 AM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 136,050 Thanks
    Little Miss Winner
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:10 AM
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:10 AM
    However, Siber's a bit worried about the prospect of Mark driving the car that he saved up for 4 years to buy. Although he has fully comprehensive insurance, because of Siber's age (24) any accident would cut his 7 years no claims discount which really needs to cut his annual premium to an affordable level. And seeing how Mark drives his car, ragging it around the streets, Siber fears that the chances of an accident are higher than he'd wish - especially as it'd be an unfamiliar car.
    ]

Have you explained this to him? What does he say?
  • siber
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:16 AM
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:16 AM
    Being 21, Mark thinks he's invincible (and is convinced he'll never crash, even though he has in the past) and doesn't think it's an issue.
    • Little Miss Winner
    • By Little Miss Winner 20th Apr 07, 10:19 AM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 136,050 Thanks
    Little Miss Winner
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:19 AM
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:19 AM
    Being 21, Mark thinks he's invincible and doesn't think it's an issue.
    Well i think you have answered your'e own questions, Mark can get the bus!!!

Surely he must be on a bus route into work...?
  • TA#6
    • 20th Apr 07, 11:46 AM
    • 20th Apr 07, 11:46 AM
    why do you think you are somehow morally obliged to let him borrow your car?

tell him straight, you drive like an idiot, and I dont want an idiot driving my car, end of.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams
    • Mark7799
    • By Mark7799 20th Apr 07, 12:33 PM
    • 4,678 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    Mark7799
    • 20th Apr 07, 12:33 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 12:33 PM
    Isn't one of Direct Line's advertising claims that they insure drivers individually on the car? Would this work in your case?
  • chivas
    • 20th Apr 07, 1:34 PM
    Well - if you really want to help him out...
    • 20th Apr 07, 1:34 PM
    Try running a comparison on an insurance provider site - one which uses your current no claims bonus, and one without.

Show your brother the result, and explain to him that if he causes an accident whilst using your car, not only will he have to pay any excess, but he will also have to cover any differentiation in insurance renewal costs until the claim drops off the radar...

You could also consider charging him a per-mile cost to cover wear and tear if he is hammering it...

But don't be afraid to say no if it makes you uncomfortable!
    I heart Martin!
    • yoni_one
    • By yoni_one 23rd Apr 07, 10:29 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    yoni_one
    • 23rd Apr 07, 10:29 AM
    • 23rd Apr 07, 10:29 AM
    There should be no risk to you in doing a favour. If your bro agrees to cover ALL risk, including future expense of his actions, then consider A) the likelyhood of him keeping this promise and B) if you are comfortable with that arrangement.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it. What would your brother have done for those few days had you not saved up all those years?
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 24th Apr 07, 9:10 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:10 PM
    • 24th Apr 07, 9:10 PM
    Definitely not!
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • MJay
    • By MJay 24th Apr 07, 10:02 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    MJay
    What is the debate about.... Definately NOT. You are not your brother's (car) keeper!!!
    Older and growing
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 24th Apr 07, 10:43 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    No!!!!!!!!!!
  • Judith Proctor
    Tell him to catch the bus or take a taxi. Considering what he'd have to pay to be added to the insurance for a short period (I just had to do a calculation like that for my son), a taxi/bus will almost certainly be cheaper.

Or buy him a bicycle!

It's not just the no claims, it's also worrying about what Mark might do to the car. Who wants that kind of stress?
    • benedictadams
    • By benedictadams 25th Apr 07, 7:58 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    benedictadams
    Don't do it

If something happens to your car, there will be some damage to family relationships.

Maybe if Mark wasn't driving like a pratt his engine wouldn't need replacing, use it to teach him a lesson
    Debt was 6300 5 years ago, Debt now ZERO
  • SarahNeedle1872
    No way! If Mark had looked after his own car then he wouldn't need to borrow Siber's. Even the old bangers deserve a bit of respect!! Perhaps he could get a bicycle for the time being, and rag that around instead :rolleyes:

S x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • sluggy1967
    Having worked in insurance myself, I know a lot of insurance policies for under 25s will not cover additional drivers also under that age, worth checking out with your policy & then if "computer says no" you can refuse your brother with a clear conscience. (If it is possible, might be worth telling him you can't add him to your policy anyway!!!!) Either way, don't do it!
  • jakehamble
    Simple.

Don't add him to your insurance. Insist he gets fully-comp cover to temporarily drive your car on his own policy. Then if anything happens, he claims on that, and your no-claims bonus is unaffected.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 25th Apr 07, 8:38 AM
    • 31,432 Posts
    • 60,511 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I would not lend it to him - tell him your insurance company won't cover him.

If a car is necessary for Mark's work, he could hire one for a few days - it's probably still cheaper than the extra insurance.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • bigmama59
    Don't do it, my oldest son let one of his younger (20) brothers borrow his car and he ended up hitting someone up the back. Luckily they said they won't go through the insurance but it's still an expensive lesson as he's got to pay for the repairs
  • Targanielle
    NO, don't let him borrow your car!! Not even if he gets his own insurance on it!

1. The chances are it's his way of driving that has contributed or caused his engine to have to be replaced, so he might well damage YOUR car's engine

2. The risks of an accident happening and messing up your no claims (if you do add him to your insurance) are pretty high by the sounds of it.

3. I'm sure he could either walk to work (like you do) or use public transport. If not then maybe he can hire a car, as someone else said.

4. He's your brother, but that doesn't mean you have to lend him your car, that you have worked and saved for, just because his is being repaired.

Stand firm, use the excuse your insurance won't add him if you have to, but DON'T lend him your car!
    • keefyboy
    • By keefyboy 25th Apr 07, 9:17 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    keefyboy
    Moral Dilema
    No way don't let him use your car under any circumstances, he will treat your car like his own, these boy racers have no respect for other peoples property.

Tell him to take the bus to work or WALK, he will get fitter and maybe even get rid of his stupid ideas of racing everything and everybody...
    The Looney of Loughborough..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,619Posts Today

5,449Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin