Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 13th Sep 04, 9:46 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH
    • 13th Sep 04, 9:46 PM
    BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH 13th Sep 04 at 9:46 PM
    BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH: !

This makes me growl. !Request cashback from supermarkets and they make you initial the receipt for the Cashback BEFORE giving you the money (or opening the till). Itís the wrong way round, logically you should sign AFTER receiving the cash. !The silly procedure leaves people rushing out, having had the cash debited, but it remains in the supermarketís till (did it myself once). !

Letís refuse to sign before we get the cash, cause a fuss it, may make them change their policies. !Iím contacting the big four supermarkets to ask for a response. !

To discuss this click reply

I will post the supermarkets reponse when i get it.
Page 1
    • juno
    • By juno 13th Sep 04, 9:52 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    • 13th Sep 04, 9:52 PM
    Re: BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH
    • 13th Sep 04, 9:52 PM
    My mum left without getting her cash once! So she went back, and they had to count the till and made her feel like she was trying to steal from them when it was their mistake and the person on the till admitted she'd forgotten to give her the money. But she got it in the end!

So after that she always asked for the cash before she would initial anything.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th Sep 04, 9:55 PM
    • 20,450 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 13th Sep 04, 9:55 PM
    • 13th Sep 04, 9:55 PM
    Did it myself once too, years ago when cashback 1st started. Drove few miles home then realised and went back. Luckily I was believed and was given cash.

And what about Morrisions refusing to do £5 cashback?
    I refused to get cashback on that occassion,cos as I pointed out the supermarket makes interest on our money, so how dare they stipulate bigger amounts.

I've actually stopped getting cashback most of time. I found it's better for budget to withdraw cash and use that for weekly shopping,otherwise I do shopping then get cashback and it just disappears!!! :

My bank did tell me that paying by switch with cashback takes a little longer to go thru account. But haven't actually checked out if this is true.
    • sparky61
    • By sparky61 14th Sep 04, 1:36 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 24,934 Thanks
    sparky61
    • 14th Sep 04, 1:36 AM
    • 14th Sep 04, 1:36 AM
    I hadn't thought about it that way before.
    I'll certainly be waiting until I've got the cash before initialling my receipts in future
  • Addy
    • 14th Sep 04, 4:08 AM
    • 14th Sep 04, 4:08 AM
    OMG! I thought it was just me that did that! Twice I've left Sainsbury's without my cashback! Luckily, I realised before I'd left the carpark, returned to Customer Services and got my money with not too much hassle. You have to wonder how often it happens that people leave without realising....this could soon add up to a fair old sum for the supermarkets!

As for the minimum amount being allowed, well that's just stupid. If their banks and Credit/debit card service providers charge along the same lines that they do for the Company I work for, it's in their interests to do cashback. The less cash they have to bank, the less bank charges they incur - it's done on a % basis. Whereas payments by debit cards only incur a per transaction charge for them.

I'll be doing my bit in this campaign - no initials till my money is in my sweaty palm ;D
    • By 16011996 14th Sep 04, 11:11 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 14th Sep 04, 11:11 AM
    yep me too, i had this problem in kwik save, realised before i got to the door, they still said i'd had the money. kicked off and eventually got it, but they said as i'd initialed it, that meant i'd recieved it. makes me mad. > > > > > > don't do cashback anymore. always use hole in wall at least sure i'll get cash then.
  • IvanOpinion
    Am I missing something here ? At the risk of being flamed for daring to disagree with Martin I don't see the issue. The supermarket did not 'steal' your money (not in any legal or dictionary sense of the word) a mistake was made and the person receiving the cash is MORE to blame than the supermarket ... you signed it ... you should check before you leave ... and, before you ask, yes I f****d up in the past on the one and only occasion I asked for cashback (hence why I have never done it since) ... oh, and when I went back in (cap in hand) Tescos sorted it out very politely and efficiently.

If I go into a bank I have to sign my cheque before I get cash. If I want to make a withdrawal I have to sign the slip before I get my cash. If I apply for a mortgage I have to sign my life away (in triplicate) before I get any money.

I think there is a phrase involving the words 'mountains' and 'molehills' that comes to mind.

Ivan
    • By 16011996 14th Sep 04, 12:13 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 14th Sep 04, 12:13 PM
    • 14th Sep 04, 12:13 PM
    ooh ooh ooh. i agree its up to us, and partly our fault, but agree that we should only sign when the money is recieved.
  • chowster
    • 14th Sep 04, 12:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 04, 12:35 PM
    Good point...........now I dont' know who to agree with... :-/
    • By 16011996 14th Sep 04, 1:27 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    ???
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 14th Sep 04, 1:37 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Ivan - i understand your point. And of course they're not 'stealing' it's a deliberately emotive word to spark a headline. However to examine your argument.

Yes of course under the current situation we are and should be responsible for grabbing the cash ourselves - if we make the mistake, on an individual basis we cannot blame the supermarket. However there is a systematic problem here with the way the cashback is handed out. The fact you sign for cash, before the till is opened, and it is handed to you only after the point, in the middle of packing shopping, leads to people forgetting the cash. A simple policy change or double check system could prevent people doing this - as almost everyone seems to have done it - think of the amount of cash we're talking.

If just one in five UK adults have done it with a £30 cashback that is £180million pound untaken, remaining in tills......
    • By 16011996 14th Sep 04, 1:43 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    yep, thats a better explanation, i agree it should be done more carefully. thanks.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 14th Sep 04, 4:41 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,697 Thanks
    Glad
    If I go into a bank I have to sign my cheque before I get cash. !If I want to make a withdrawal I have to sign the slip before I get my cash. !If I apply for a mortgage I have to sign my life away (in triplicate) before I get any money.

I think there is a phrase involving !the words 'mountains' and 'molehills' that comes to mind.

Ivan
    the situation in supermarkets is slightly different Ivan because you actually initial the receipt to say you have received the cash, they ask you to sign 1st because it is easier for them you can sign at the same time as you sign for payment of your shopping.

• Tony H
    • By Tony H 14th Sep 04, 9:24 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Tony H
    Woah, at the end of the day the responsibility has to lie with the person serving you on the checkout. Do they not ask if you would like cash back? Do they not process the transaction and then hand you your receipt etc?

This happened to me in asda, I walked straight from the checkout to customer services on the way to the door. I was issued my cashback without question upon producing the receipt.

It has to be the responsibility of the person serving you, after all they are the person whom have asked you if you would like it & they are the ones whom would give it too you.
  • cathy
    cant stand people who pay by card in supermarkets let alone get cash back

I always go to the buttons machine and get my cash out before going shopping, that way I know how much ive got to spend and dont HOLD UP THE QUEUE

;D
    • Tony H
    • By Tony H 14th Sep 04, 9:39 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Tony H
    cant stand people who pay by card in supermarkets !let alone get cash back

I always go to the buttons machine and get my cash out before going shopping, that way I know how much ive got to spend and dont HOLD UP THE QUEUE

;D
    So you're the person hogging the cash machine and preventing me from getting out cash to do my shop, thus causing me to occassionally forget my cash at the till and holding up fellow shoppers... !! ;D ;D
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 14th Sep 04, 10:02 PM
    • 20,450 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless

I can't get money out of the cash machine cos I can never remember my pin number !:-[
    What about changing pin no to something you can remember.
    1st 4 digits of phone no.
    year you got married/divorced/had kid etc
  • cathy
    if you take the money, you save a fortune as well, cos you cant go mad with the card.

havnt taken my card to the supermarket for about 3 years now.

Ive seen loads and loads of things Id have loved to have bought but only having enough money to cover my shopping list. I couldnt.

and I cant remember a single item I didnt buy!! ;D
  • trafalgar
    I can't see how they'd get around the security problem...................opening the till TWICE.........or worse still leaving it open while you sign.

I'm with Ivan................we have to take responsibility..................or quit being lazy and go to a cash machine for the cash :-/

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 15th Sep 04, 2:13 AM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Folks - can we keep this one on supermarket cashback (don't mind disagreement, but let's keep this one on topic - the supermarkets may be coming here to read this!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter