Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 18th Nov 12, 12:45 PM
    • 5,383Posts
    • 4,369Thanks
    tyllwyd
    Bupa won't pay surgeon's full fees
    • 18th Nov 12, 12:45 PM
    Bupa won't pay surgeon's full fees 18th Nov 12 at 12:45 PM
    My OH recently had surgery under the BUPA cover provided through his employer. He was told that there would be an excess to pay, and that there would be extra to pay to the anethetist, but that the full cost of the actual surgery would be covered by the scheme.

We've now had a letter through from BUPA telling us that the surgeon has invoiced for (approx) £500 but they have only paid £300 and that we aren't liable to pay the difference of £200. My OH is due to see his surgeon for the post-op follow up, and he isn't quite sure where he stands. We would be quite willing to accept that the operation was probably more difficult than originally anticipated (due to complications from previous surgery) and pay the £200, but we aren't sure whether to expect the surgeon to raise it with us or whether we should just accept what BUPA has said and leave them to argue it out between themselves. Has anyone else been in this position?
Page 2
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 30th Nov 12, 12:24 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    A small update - my OH went to see the consultant and offered to pay the additional fees if necessary (we want to stay on his good side in case more surgery is needed in the future, which is a real possibility). Since then, we've been copied in on a pretty p*ssed off letter from the consultant to BUPA asking them what on earth they are playing at. We'll have to see what happens!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 30th Nov 12, 12:33 PM
    • 9,193 Posts
    • 13,332 Thanks
    meer53
    I have Bupa cover through my employer, £200 is my annual excess. It's quite clear in the information i have from them.
  • Wutang
    I have Bupa cover through my employer, £200 is my annual excess. It's quite clear in the information i have from them.
    Originally posted by meer53

Well thats cleared the Bupa scandal cleared up
    Last edited by Wutang; 30-11-2012 at 1:05 PM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Wutang
    A small update - my OH went to see the consultant and offered to pay the additional fees if necessary (we want to stay on his good side in case more surgery is needed in the future, which is a real possibility). Since then, we've been copied in on a pretty p*ssed off letter from the consultant to BUPA asking them what on earth they are playing at. We'll have to see what happens!
    Originally posted by tyllwyd
    I imagine copying you in was a tactical master stroke...

good luck - and offering to pay the difference is(albeit a terrible option despite having super Bupa cover) good thinking.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • meer53
    • By meer53 30th Nov 12, 1:56 PM
    • 9,193 Posts
    • 13,332 Thanks
    meer53

Well thats cleared the Bupa scandal cleared up
    Originally posted by Wutang
    This post isn't about any Bupa scandal, you started that debate off. Completely off topic.
  • Wutang
    This post isn't about any Bupa scandal, you started that debate off. Completely off topic.
    Originally posted by meer53
    Your amazing lack of understanding to the plight of tyllwyd is fantastic.

Although, I am so glad you understand how your excess works.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,166Posts Today

8,298Users online

Martin's Twitter