Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • mollymunchkin
    • By mollymunchkin 16th Apr 07, 8:51 PM
    • 955Posts
    • 2,679Thanks
    Structural Engineer fees?
    • #1
    • 16th Apr 07, 8:51 PM
    Structural Engineer fees? 16th Apr 07 at 8:51 PM
    All sorted now thanks.
    Last edited by mollymunchkin; 30-12-2012 at 8:55 PM.
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
Page 1
  • ben500
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 07, 8:54 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 07, 8:54 PM
    Fees can vary phenominally throughout the country, I've seen charges of £300 - £1500 for the same job, sorry I know that's not a lot of help but one message you should get is SHOP AROUND, call and request quotes for a survey.
    • mollymunchkin
    • By mollymunchkin 16th Apr 07, 8:58 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 2,679 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 07, 8:58 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 07, 8:58 PM
    Cheers Ben. I'm in West Wales, if that helps.
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
  • ben500
    • #4
    • 16th Apr 07, 9:15 PM
    • #4
    • 16th Apr 07, 9:15 PM
    Cheers Ben. I'm in West Wales, if that helps.
    Originally posted by mollymunchkin
    I'd say around £450 - £600 but you may well get it a lot cheaper if you can find a one man band type of set up.
    • HugoSP
    • By HugoSP 16th Apr 07, 9:31 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    • #5
    • 16th Apr 07, 9:31 PM
    • #5
    • 16th Apr 07, 9:31 PM

    Now that's got your attention

    If you go to an RSJ or I beam supplier they may be able to do this for you free. There are a few around me that quoted me £100 plus vat for a lintle and offered to supply calcs for building regs to prove it. I priced this up for a job I was asked to quote for.
    Behind every great man is a good woman

    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42
  • ben500
    • #6
    • 16th Apr 07, 9:46 PM
    • #6
    • 16th Apr 07, 9:46 PM
    There you go follow Hugo's advice and save the arm and leg for a rainy day in Georgia.
  • IanB
    • #7
    • 20th Apr 07, 11:31 AM
    Structural Engineering Fees
    • #7
    • 20th Apr 07, 11:31 AM
    It was with interest that I recently received a copy of 2007 edition of Engineers Fees : A survey of the Fees Charged by Consulting Civil & Structural Engineers. It sets out average fees for lead consultant and non lead consultant activities against various project types, total construction costs and provides indices for each part of the country.

    In the past this publication tended to focus on project costs at £1m and above but the 2007 edition has some interesting graphs for domestic buildings including house extensions.

    For example House extensions with total costs are charged at the following:-

    a small extension costing £16k attracts Structural engineering fees (non lead consultant)of 6% or £960

    £50k : (non lead consultant)4.6% or £2300

    £71K : (non lead consultant)3.7% or £2627

    130K : (non lead consultant)3.0% or £3900

    200k : (non lead consultant)2.35% or £4700

    (note these are 2006 Fees)

    A quick search of the internet did not reveal much information on the level of Structural engineering fees for this type of projrct and raises the question. How are clients, particularly first time or infrequent clients, supposed to judge the level of fees being proposed?

    I would suggest, that the fee levels above represent a realistic level of fee and clients should be aware of these levels as a starting point. They are calculated median values. This should provide a platform for clients and their engineers to discuss fee levels for particular projects based on project costs.

    A quick rule of thumb for single dwelling poject costs -allow £900 per square meter of floor + or - £150/m2 depending on spec and configuration.

    eg medium size house 140m2 build cost £126k + or - £21K

    For very small projects appoint an engineer on a time basis, it builds trust and will keep your costs down - agree a max time say 4hours @ £50 to £75/hr.
  • maryk
    • #8
    • 18th Aug 07, 4:33 PM
    structural engineering fees
    • #8
    • 18th Aug 07, 4:33 PM
    Hi there

    I am married to a structural engineer and was amazed to read that someone has actually got a copy of the 2007 recommended fees that should be charged. I have never seen this guide but I do think you have got hold of a copy of ACE Association of Consulting Engineers list which is a very exclusive orgainisation which most humble structural engineers cannot afford to join, it usually concerns itself with massive building projects not small domestic work. I dont know any well off structural engineers who work for themselves as my husband does, do you? If you do they would probably be part of a much larger ogainisation taking huge risks!. Most structural engineers are there to help you, they take the risk and use years of training and experience to ensure a safe design, not sure that RSJ's manufacturers are singing from the same hymm sheet?

    Thank you
  • andywc
    • #9
    • 31st May 09, 3:02 PM
    • #9
    • 31st May 09, 3:02 PM
    Hi there

    Thanks for the discussions... I think that maybe the chap was referring to publicactions by

    www dot feesbureau dot co dot uk / ef.html

    sorry i have to spell that out.. but apparently as a new user i'm now allowed to post with links... sigh

    although we're now on the 2009 edition of course... which as a consulting structural engineer running my own practice I've just gone and bought...

    i'm sure it will be interesting reading!!


    Andrew Cartlidge
    Rivergate Consultants Ltd
  • smeatho
    Hi bit late I know. But I'm a chartered structural engineer (MIStructE).
    For a single RSJ/steel beam in a domestic situation we would typically charge approx. £150 + VAT for building regulations calculations and a general arrangement drawing with sizes for the beam and any bearing details. Add £60 + VAT for another beam.
    This is based on all necessary information being provided to us by Architects drawing or similar. Obviously visiting the house to measure up would incur extra costs.
    Kind regards
  • Carbsale2
    Hi Smeatho
    I'm new to this forum and I just saw your post. I am about to start work on a single storey rear extension to my house and I'm looking for a structural engineer. I have architects drawings and according to according to him I need one steel and 2 steel support connections. I live in Twickenham, SW London. If you're interested, how is the best way to contact you? - Thanks and regards,

  • Radsteral
    i m a plasterer/builder lots of jobs we do ie, remove a wall and support with beam , i employ couple of guys time after time depending who s closes to the job
    ...they charge roughly the same 150 plus vat for the beam
    that provided i send them proper drawings and 4-5 good pics of the site in and outside
  • Soapn
    As condition of mortgage, a report from a structural engineer must be obtained for sunsidence/movement---(cracking and deflection of brickwork above the front bedroom window opening, this appears significant and likely to be progressive)

    How much and who pays, the vendor or the person buying it?
    • Green box
    • By Green box 2nd Mar 12, 11:27 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Green box

    If you go to an RSJ or I beam supplier they may be able to do this for you free. There are a few around me that quoted me £100 plus vat for a lintle and offered to supply calcs for building regs to prove it. I priced this up for a job I was asked to quote for.
    Originally posted by HugoSP
    I know free advice is always attractive, but unless the work required is very simple, the manufacturers are unlikely to be suitable.

    I also doubt that they will cover your work with any sort of Professional Indemnity insurance.
  • Amphion
    Hi Soapn,

    Donít think the seller is obliged to pay for the surveyseeing as itís a condition of your mortgage to have it done.

    Itís up to you as a buyer to satisfy yourself and yourlender that the property wonít fall down or require significant repairs in thefuture.

    Itís difficult to advise on how much you will pay as I donítknow where in the UK the property is and prices vary nationwide .

    Iím based in the Northwest and As a Guide I normally charge £450for a general structural inspection and report (covering all visible structuralelements of the property) or £250 for a specific structural survey and report (usuallyinvestigating a single problem such as the one you have where the overallstructural integrity of the property is ok). If you are in London these priceswill normally be higher but shop around.
  • Bushey1
    Hi - anyone know of a good, cheap structural engineer in Watford?
    • RDG
    • By RDG 28th Jun 12, 8:56 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 129 Thanks

    If your after a properly qualified engineer then ensure they are CEng MIStructE or CEng MICE just ask for their qualifications and if they say they are a charter structural or civil engineer then thats the same thing (those titles are protected by law).

    Try (dont enter a speciality in the search as most firms havent entered any) or your yellow pages and get quotes as prices will vary quite a bit.
  • Austinlegro
    Current prices for domestic beam designs are typically as follows:
    First beam / opening including padstone design and check on the wall supporting the beams: £150.
    Subsequent beams on same project: £100.
    Add £50 if we need to visit the site to measure / photograph / determine load paths.
    Add £100 to design & detail a beam to beam connection.
    Add £100 if we need to design a beam splice (common for attic conversion beams)

    Small Engineering Practice. CEng MIStructE carrying PI of £1,000,000

    South Wales.
  • xmas carol
    I have cracks around a large stained glass window, the sill has started to move inwards, away from the window, and part of the window frames are staring to rot. Who would I get in to see what's going on, and any ideas how much it should cost?
    I live in South London.
  • Chartered-Structural-Eng
    It is bad enough that unqualified people are offering to size the structural steel.
    But what alarms me more is Structural Engineers offering to design the steel without inspecting the property. This is irresponsible and potentially dangerous as it relies on the builder being competent enough to flag up any issues.
    Always amuses me that some people want to scrimp on Structural Engineer fees when surely the structural stability of the house is of primary concern?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,365Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

  • We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should?

  • RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

  • Follow Martin