Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 07, 10:11 PM
    • 8,516Posts
    • 17,704Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    The Unneccesary Challenge
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:11 PM
    The Unneccesary Challenge 15th Apr 07 at 10:11 PM
    Yes folks, it's the one you've all been waiting for!

Heres the logic.

Per week everyone has a budget of £10.
    This is to include all unnecessary spends. By this I mean the magazines, the cup of coffee on the way to work etc.

All those things that you want but never truly need in order to survive.

This challenge was borne from a previous thread "Giving Up Money for Lent" (Search for it if you fancy a giggle!)

Those that took up the challenge all agreed (and some supporters) that the challenge had taught them a lot and had change the way they think when it comes to purchases. What you think you need is more so than not simply what you think you want.

Our mantra is "Martin Says No"

So feel free to jump on the wagon people!

The plan is every week you have a £10 budget.
    Now this budget includes any spending that is not included on another budget. And as true DFW we've all got budgets!
    Think chocolate biscuits. Yes they could be included in your food shop, but they are not necessary to your existence, (sorry to tell you all )

Yes I cried too when I figured that one out :rolleyes:

Now if you're very very good, you can save what you don't spend out of that £10, and carry it over to the next week. This is incredibly useful if you dont have a going out budget (if you're like me and rarely leave your house! ) and something comes up.
    Save one week spend the next.

And then if you've very very very VERY good and don't spend it all for a whole month, you can use what you've saved and put it against debts.

I for example am going to withdraw £10 per week from my bank account. I'm also going to make sure I go into the bank to do this.

Why? you may ask....
    For me personally I find it harder to spend £2 coins because I save them for my holiday fund (New York). However a £10 I have no trouble breaking

So if I withdraw my £10 for the week in £2 coins I can ration it per day, and I'll really think about my spending because with every £2 coin I'll see Rockafellar centre, Madison Square Garden etc

I'm also doing the challenge monday to sunday. I'm also very impatient so hate going into a bank on a monday so will likely leave it until a tuesday to withdraw, thus saving myself from spending for a whole day

The simple things we learn about ourselves.
    This is not to say everyones got to do that. Different strokes for different folks. But it is interesting and very insightful with a challenge such as this and the Lent challenge to address some emotional and pyschological reasons behind spending and the difference between want and need!

Enough babbling, and heres all you need to do.
    Add a line to your sig about your weekly budget, i.e what you've spent or how much of your £10 you've got left and have fun!

As pre-ordained by the Lentee's (and I hope there are no objections) please refer any questions to the Unnecessary Queen................. me

Hope you all find it a worthwhile and rewarding challenge. Look forward to getting to know you all and hope to see some old faces/usernames

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 01-05-2007 at 5:04 PM.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Starter Debt £869.17 Sept 18/Remaining Debt £869.17 Sept 18
Page 1
  • PeachPickle
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:39 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:39 PM
    Bring it on!
    DFW Nerd #104 I my Kitten and my hat
    OD Girls on Tour 08 - Barcelona - HUGE SUCCESS!
    OD Girls on Tour 09 - Dublin - November!!
    If you believe you can achieve innit!
    Sexy beer?
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 07, 10:48 PM
    • 8,516 Posts
    • 17,704 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:48 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:48 PM
    and then there were two!

• pippo
    • By pippo 15th Apr 07, 10:51 PM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 36,860 Thanks
    pippo
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:51 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 10:51 PM
    Woohoo
    We're off again!

£10 a week sounds like luxury following the no spends for Lent, but it is all of those unnecessary 'extras' that we uusually don't allow for and leave us wondering were our money has got to.
    Rather than budgeting for absolutely every I have cut back a little on some other budgets to allow for it - ie clothes; hairdressers and the very meagre social fund!!

Like you CAFCgirl I have an added incentive not to spend - planned holiday in 6 weeks time with DS and his family and I am very determined that the ccs will not get a hammering this time, so all unspent money will go into that fund to start with.

More importantly for me will be continuing to think "Is it necessary?" Usually with a holiday coming up I go on a mad spending spree buying clothes and toiletries etc - this time I am going to use what I've got and I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more 'cos I won't be worrying about the bills coming in.

Thanks to the Unnecessary Queen for starting us off again
    I will add a signature as requested.

Pippo
    • Purpleroses
    • By Purpleroses 15th Apr 07, 11:03 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 9,945 Thanks
    Purpleroses
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:03 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:03 PM
    Woohoo Queenie!
    Count me in! C x
    NSD: 14/15

• ShirleyPark
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:04 PM
    Right I'm in. I think I still have some cash in my purse, so I shall £10 of that. Anything else I am going to put in another purse for postage as I keep having to get cash out to post things off and then I end up spending the rest of the cash.
    Debts: Mum £3923 0% APR
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 07, 11:04 PM
    • 8,516 Posts
    • 17,704 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Starting to fill up nicely!

Just what I like

• debbycatz
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:18 PM
    Me too
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:18 PM
    I'd like to join in too - I usually do allow myself £10 a week anyway so this will help keep me on track

Thanks CAFCGIRL
  • kinkypixie
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 11:26 PM
    Woo Hoo, this won't be easy, but I need to do this, 2 weeks til payday!!

Oh, no this is the first challenge I've taken part in, must not fail!!
    LBM - March 2007
    Total debt Jan 2008 - 23,535.62 (£7050.74 - Student Loan) £16,484.88 £13,762.86 (NOW) total debt
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW NERD No. 457 Weekly budget £21.68
  • postingalwaysposting
    me too please... after hols though

• Mindy
    Woohoo - I'm in as well.

I haven't actually got to the point of rationing my "spending money" as most of what I want comes into the weekly shop. But as we have decided that this week we are going to try and manage totally on essentials then this fits in nicely.

• Em1982
    This will be my first challenge and sounds like just what I need - count me in!

Emma
  • leebarton
    I'm in! I have exactly £10 in my purse - spooky!!!!
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% £13,076.03/£20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% £3030.29/£3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% £651.46/£2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
  • brassiclint
    Thank God this has started!! I've kinda lost a bit of self control since "Give up spending for Lent" finished ... I needed you girls (oooh I wonder if we'll have any guys sign up this time?).

Have £8 in my purse given to me by BF so getting off to a good start already!

Good luck everyone and THANK YOU CAFCGirl .... xx
    Total debt as of May 2007: Tesco £8499.65 £7,333.57;
    Total Savings as of March 2007: Egg Money £59.97£64.97; Wedding Fund £700 £1172
    £1900
    The Unneccessary Challenge £0/£10
    Snowballing £8499.65 £7333.57. Debt Free Date November '09 September '09 May '09- gonna try my hardest to make it sooner

Martin Says No
  • Mrs Sparkle
    Okey-doke, count me in too- this should be fun!
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Peardrop
    Another newbie wanting to join in
    Was so inspired by the lent challenge (just lurking!) and would love to give this a try. My first challenge is its DH's b'day today - already had pressies bought last week but the kids want to get him a cake for tonight.

So will be making one rather than doing my usual trick of paying £10 or so for a ready made decorated one. Should be more fun for the kids too.

Thanks for starting this up :-)
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 16th Apr 07, 8:30 AM
    • 8,516 Posts
    • 17,704 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    May your first day as an Unnecessary be very.......... necessary lol

Great to see some new faces sign up to this one!!

Day at work for me, two interviews to do and back home for some much need kip! See you all this evening for first day reports xx

• prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 16th Apr 07, 8:33 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Hi

I'd like to join in please - I spent yeterday working out my budget to payday on 30th April - £50 petrol, £50 food shop and £10 per week 'uneccessary spends' as per this thread. I plan to go Sunday to Sunday, and update this thread everyday to keep myself on track - spent so far: £0.00

Thanks CAFC Girl :-)
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 07, 8:44 AM
    • 58,084 Posts
    • 239,318 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great idea CAFC girl.
    Count me in.
    I really really need the motivation at the mo as I have a wedding & a holiday coming up soon.
    everyone whos signed up & will sign up.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • jet77
    • By jet77 16th Apr 07, 9:07 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 7,687 Thanks
    jet77
    Woohoo!!

Count me in too I really need to knuckle down and start using my noddle again - this should be just what I need. How long is the challenge for? or isn't there a time limit? :confused: It will also help me with my own personal challenge too (clear 100 a week to be DF by 21/12 - haven't been doing too well in my 1st 2 weeks of this)!!

I've also got to pay a 200 pound excess - but am trying to delay it as long as poss coz I don't want to pay interest on it. I need to clear my LloydsTSB account asap as the interest is 17.9%

I am going to revise my budget and copy CAFCGirls 10 pound in 2 pound coins on a tues thing.

If any1 notices that I haven't posted for a couple of days, please feel free to PM me a gr8 big kick up the a**e coz I really really need to stick to this challenge.

Thx CAFC Girl n bring it on
    JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIME
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
    Weekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15
    DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,668Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter