PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does pesto sauce 'go off'?

Comments

• kate83
    kate83 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Pesto also makes lovely bread - just add about a teaspoon to your normal plain bread mix (I normally add it just as the breadmachine starts to mix).

I've had some pesto in my fridge for months before and it's tasted fine.
  • Vashti
    Vashti Posts: 174 Forumite
    Asda used to do three types of pesto suce, mediterranean, chinese and the usual basil italian. They were absolutely gorgeous...ful of chunks of olives and pine nuts and stuff. For some reason they can't have been good sellers...so they stopped doing them,and I can't find an equivalent.

Anyway...try any pesto on three minutes noodles, (drain, then return to the pan and add the pesto) for the quickest, yummiest snack ever. If you add chopped Herta frankfurters it is even nicer.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pesto is good in sandwiches too with sliced mozzarella. Or drizzle over baked potatoes and add a slice of mozzarella in the top.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • bobmacuk
    bobmacuk Posts: 102 Forumite
    Invite us all round
    Non Gradus Anus Rodentum!
  • Queen.Bess
    Queen.Bess Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    I would say that until there's a fur coating it's OK to use! Although the green pesto can go a bit dull and as previously said it won't taste as nice as when freshly opened. Give it a good sniff and see what the smell's like, if it's OK, then go for it! I have to say I love pesto so much there isn't much chance of a jar going off in my house!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • anniewoo
    anniewoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    I have just been to check my half used jar of red pesto in the fridge and it says use within 5 days of opening.

Well,it has been open for at least a month,I had some about a week ago and it still looks and smells fine so I shall carry on using it.

I love pesto,it is great for a quick meal with pasta,I like to add a bit of creme fraiche as well.

I hadn't thought of adding it to bread dough,I must try that.
  • shteca
    shteca Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Wish me luck! I!!!8217;ve just found a jar in my fridge and it must be two months old. I!!!8217;m about to stick it on some pasta! let!!!8217;s see how this goes
    Debt Fully Paid Off (20/06/2019): £54,441.87
    Dave Ramsey is my financial guru!
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I spoon any leftover pesto into ice cube trays and freeze, lasts until you need it :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have several jars of both green and red pesto I have collected to go in my DGS Jacks 'Uni box' for next month, its his favourite food, and he loves it. he makes a big bowl of pasta and adds it and salad and scoffs the lot He also uses it in ciabatta rolls and wraps
  • In our house yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport