Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 6:57 PM
    • 262Posts
    • 7Thanks
    katy123
    New Combi Boiler with 15mm gas supply
    • 22nd Oct 12, 6:57 PM
    New Combi Boiler with 15mm gas supply 22nd Oct 12 at 6:57 PM
    I'm a little concerned, I have always been advised that for a combi you need a 22mm gas supply. I've just had a worcester combi installed and the gas registered fitter located the 22mm in the ground but from the wall up it is 15mm. Therefore there is approx 1.5 meters where the gas supply is connected with a 15mm pipe. He assured me this is ok and proved it with his handheld meter readed showing co2 output of 8.9 which is as advised by the boiler manual. Is this ok? Thanks.
Page 1
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 22nd Oct 12, 7:10 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    • 22nd Oct 12, 7:10 PM
    What make and model ?

All the Greenstar range specify 22mm
    Last edited by muckybutt; 22-10-2012 at 7:17 PM.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 22nd Oct 12, 7:10 PM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 5,718 Thanks
    ariba10
    Our's is the same and have had no problems in the six years it has been in.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 22nd Oct 12, 7:56 PM
    • 7,769 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 22nd Oct 12, 7:56 PM
    • 22nd Oct 12, 7:56 PM
    The installation manuals will give the size of gas pipe required.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 8:08 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:08 PM
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:08 PM
    it depends on the working gas pressure at the meter & boiler (which he should have tested) as more than 1mb difference means it's AR & gets shut off, plus this is tested with all the other gas appliances running, but yes it is normally 22mm
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 8:11 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:11 PM
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:11 PM
    Our's is the same and have had no problems in the six years it has been in.
    Originally posted by ariba10
    as the OP hasn't said the model & output of their boiler your point isn't relevent, plus unless your boiler has been tested in accordence with my post above there is no guarentee that yours is correct.

• katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 8:36 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    katy123
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:36 PM
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:36 PM
    wow, thanks for all the prompt replies...the model is worcester greenstar 28i combination boiler
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 22nd Oct 12, 8:42 PM
    • 10,752 Posts
    • 9,652 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:42 PM
    • 22nd Oct 12, 8:42 PM
    Its all about flow rate and pressure loss. In some circumstances you might need 35mm copper ! Pretty rare I'll grant you !
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 9:03 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 22nd Oct 12, 9:03 PM
    • 22nd Oct 12, 9:03 PM
    if it's the 28i junior then the gas connection to the boiler is 22mm & the connected gas supply pipe is not allowed to be any smaller than this, plus the co2 readings should be 9.8 on max & 9.2 on min so your installer not only has connected the incorrect gas supply pipe size but he hasn't commisioned it correctly either

• katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 9:10 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    katy123
    apologies, after 30 mins of running (approx) he showed me the reading and it read 9.7 or 9.9 i remembered it was 0.1 higher or lower than the "co2 level at max. rated heat output (after 30 minutes)"
    • katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 9:11 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    katy123
    if he has installed it incorrectly, what do I do? Contact gas safe? The heating and hot water seems to work fine. Poster Ariba10 also has this set up without any probs.

i haven't paid the fitter, he fitter it on friday

there is 5 years warranty on the boiler...I guess my main concern is the safety or would it just shut itself off
    Last edited by katy123; 22-10-2012 at 9:19 PM.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 22nd Oct 12, 9:19 PM
    • 10,752 Posts
    • 9,652 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    As long as the input pressure,the pressure loss between meter and appliance and the flue gas analysis are ok,then its ok IMHO.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 9:25 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    katy123
    C_Mababejive thanks for the assurance....i guess my next question is how do i check:

-the pressuve loss (between meter & boiler)
    -flue gas analysis (i guess this is the co2 reading I was shown?)

Safety is my main concern...many thanks
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 9:33 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    As long as the input pressure,the pressure loss between meter and appliance and the flue gas analysis are ok,then its ok IMHO.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    yes agree however it doesn't comply with the MI, the gas connection size is there for a reason, OP all that CM has said above needs to be checked, but IMO the pipe needs changing for 22mm to comply with the MI & now is the time to do it not 3 yrs down the line when WB come out for a fault only for them to turn around & go without fixing the problem & we all know that they can & will do this.

the gas flow rate should be 3.02 m3/hr a maximum of 10 mins after first lighting

• southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 9:35 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    C_Mababejive thanks for the assurance....i guess my next question is how do i check:

-the pressuve loss (between meter & boiler)
    -flue gas analysis (i guess this is the co2 reading I was shown?)
    Originally posted by katy123
    the simple answer is you don't your installer needs to do this as part of the commisioning process

• katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 9:40 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    katy123
    I just had the wall repaired and painted. So do I speak to worcester, the fitter or who? I'm so fed up of this. I just wanted hot water and a warm home to come back to.

the fitter is a worcester accredited fitter.
    Last edited by katy123; 22-10-2012 at 9:45 PM.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 9:54 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    it's the fitters responsibility to check & do things right, is the pipe inside the wall then ?, unfortunately some installers are better than others, just look at BG i wouldn't get them to install a light bulb let alone a boiler

• katy123
    • By katy123 22nd Oct 12, 10:01 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    katy123
    it's the fitters responsibility to check & do things right, is the pipe inside the wall then ?, unfortunately some installers are better than others, just look at BG i wouldn't get them to install a light bulb let alone a boiler
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    The 15mm section is in the wall, correct...so speak to the fitter, he has already said it is ok and he will/has proved to me by the co2 reading
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Oct 12, 10:34 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    The 15mm section is in the wall, correct...so speak to the fitter, he has already said it is ok and he will/has proved to me by the co2 reading
    Originally posted by katy123
    check your installation & servicing instructions it should be on page 8 (in my book or could be page 12 in yours) under gas supply & i quote "under no circumstances should the size of the gas supply be less than that of the appliance connection" your boiler has a 22mm connection therefore the pipe must be at least 22mm your installer CANNOT argue with this whatever readings he has, also like CM & myself have said (& it also states this in the MI) the working pressure needs to be checked at the meter & the boiler with whatever else you have in the house operating (gas fire on full, hob with three burners alight), this cannot be more than 1 mb difference if it is then it is at risk & the boiler gets turned off, if this is the case then the supply pipe isn't big enough & will need to be up-sized from the meter however far it needs to go, WB approved haha do some of these guys even go on the course.
    Last edited by southcoastrgi; 23-10-2012 at 12:12 AM.

• Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 22nd Oct 12, 10:40 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    Hi

Just to be clear.

Flue gas analysis does not prove correct gas rate or pipe size.

GSR
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

915Posts Today

5,915Users online

Martin's Twitter