Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ANNEGEDDES
    • By ANNEGEDDES 11th Apr 07, 4:56 PM
    • 917Posts
    • 977Thanks
    ANNEGEDDES
    gluten free goodies
    • 11th Apr 07, 4:56 PM
    gluten free goodies 11th Apr 07 at 4:56 PM
    hi all

any ideas of gluten free goodies recipies all mega $$$ in shops

cheers
Page 1
    • emg
    • By emg 11th Apr 07, 5:02 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    emg
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:02 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:02 PM
    you could make rice krispie cakes, flapjacks or florentines. On the back of the Dove's Farm Gluten-free flour packet there is a delicious chocolate brownie recipe too. Coconut Macaroons are gluten-free too.
    • ANNEGEDDES
    • By ANNEGEDDES 11th Apr 07, 5:21 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    ANNEGEDDES
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:21 PM
    nice one thanks
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Apr 07, 5:34 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:34 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:34 PM
    Are oats gluten free ? If they are then you can't beat a flapjack. I'll post a recipe if they're suitable.
    • ANNEGEDDES
    • By ANNEGEDDES 11th Apr 07, 5:43 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    ANNEGEDDES
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:43 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:43 PM
    big debate on this one my dietician says no say boo thanks though i miss porrie in the morning!!!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Apr 07, 5:54 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:54 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 5:54 PM
    Is cornmeal OK ? The sort used for American style cornbread ? I buy this from health food stores. I'm sure you can make cakes with it, although I must admit the only recipes I've tried have wheat flour in too.

Rice flour/ground rice can be used for biscuits I think.
  • lostfarmer
    • 11th Apr 07, 9:16 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 9:16 PM
    If you buy gluten free flour (or get it on prescription if you are diagnosed coeliac) you can really sub it for normal flour in any recipe- may be a bit heavier but normally works out OK. Believe me, my mum is a coeliac and I spent my first 18yrs eating a pretty much GF diet as she got all the basics on prescription!!!!
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 11th Apr 07, 9:23 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    Amanda65
    • 11th Apr 07, 9:23 PM
    • 11th Apr 07, 9:23 PM
    Coconut pyramids mmmm!
    • ANNEGEDDES
    • By ANNEGEDDES 12th Apr 07, 9:33 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    ANNEGEDDES
    • 12th Apr 07, 9:33 AM
    • 12th Apr 07, 9:33 AM
    coconut pyramids sounds good tell me more!!!

thanks lost farmer as well perhaps ill just get my normal cookbooks out and give it a bash
    • pudding06
    • By pudding06 12th Apr 07, 9:41 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    pudding06
    coconut stars in asda ( in their free from aisle) are only 68p and are lovely.

Try the doves farm gluten free site for hints and tips and recipes. ( google it)
    I found the m really helpful when my adult son was recently diagnosed as coeliac. they answer emails and give advice on adapting recipies etc.

we are avoiding oats, and any gluten containing foods until he's stabilised, but you can make cakes using rice flour or doves farm GF flour, and gluten free baking powder, but you need more liquid in them.

another hint is that dietry specials pasta is just like ordinary pasta - so much so that we cant tell the difference!!!!

good luck

pudds
    August 2009 grocery challenge 172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • full-time-mum
    I make lots of things using the Doves Wheat-free/Gluten free flour.

For pastry, I add 1 or 2 egg yolks to 8oz flour. It is very crumbly and difficult to handle but I have made flan cases. You sort of roll it out and get it into the dish as best you can and then patch up the cracks. Make sure you rest it in the fridge at every stage.
    I did try to make flakey pastry but it was a total disaster.

Cakes - I use as normal recipes. I add 3 teaspoons of baking powder to every 8oz flour. You also need to add a bit more liquid as the fine flour absorbs more. You can add Xanthum Gum but I find it leaves a taste and doesn't really improve the results that much.

Biscuits - again crumblier than their gluten containing relatives but I have been relatively successful.
    Shortbread works really well.

Crumble toppings - add some ground rice or semolina to give it some texture.

Bread - haven't solved this one yet. Sainsburys do a packet mix which is OKish as is the one from Lakeland. I buy the cheapest mix and make up then grind into breadcrumbs which I then freeze for use as toppings etc.

Roughly what area of the country are you - if you're near me I'd be happy to help - its just a question of trial and error until you find what is best.
  • full-time-mum
    big debate on this one my dietician says no say boo thanks though i miss porrie in the morning!!!
    Originally posted by ANNEGEDDES
    I think that oats do contain gluten but that some people are ok with them and others aren't.

There is also spelt flour which is an ancient wheat variety which some people with wheat-intolerance seem to find OK.

Not 100% sure but I think wheat, oats, barley and rye all contain gluten - I only avoid wheat so isn't an issue for me.
  • kaaloo
    home made pizza dough
    Thanks for opening this thread.

Does anyone have any tried and tested recipes for Gluten Free Pizza Dough? My flour of choice is Juvela bread fibre mix but also use Doves and Dietary Special.

I just cant finda recipe to make homemade pizza dough using the above!

Someone is selling a "secret recipe" for GF pizza on ebay for about 3 but I dont want to bid on it and find its the ones on google!
    Bismillah
    • ANNEGEDDES
    • By ANNEGEDDES 16th Apr 07, 12:02 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    ANNEGEDDES
    In all honesty i just get the ready made ones from the dr and they are lovely in wales scripts are free now so there is no point in making them sorry ill ask mum though she tends to make me bits
  • kaaloo
    Hi Annegeddes

What make do you use? Ive tried the Dietary Specails and Dr schrar and they were both yukkie!
    Bismillah
    • ANNEGEDDES
    • By ANNEGEDDES 16th Apr 07, 2:18 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    ANNEGEDDES
    juvela mmmmmm
  • purpleprincess

Crumble toppings - add some ground rice or semolina to give it some texture.
    Originally posted by full-time-mum
    Semolina is ground wheat and highly glutinous!
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 17th Apr 07, 7:57 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    suzy g
    Hi im coeliac and mostly buy tesco and sainburys free from range i like their pasta bread rolls, biscuits, and some of the frozen things, but i have never got anything off prescription, as i don't understand what or how much you can have each mouth, I would be very interested to find out what other people get from each precription so i know if its for me or not thank you suzy
    Vegan and veg grower Nov 2015
    instagramer of food.... sue_the_plantbased
  • kaaloo
    suzy g

Buying is as you well know, very expensive. It seems like most companies feel they can slap an extra 40% on the price of anything that has the words GLUTEN FREE on it.

The prescription option is a bit odd to get used to as you have to order in advance with your GP. You drop the slip off to your chemist (takes a few mins first time). In a few weeks your items arrive at your chemist.

You will save literally hundreds of pounds if not more by going through the prescription option. The vast majority of items on prescription are the same as you would buy from the supermarket.

As an example, sliced white bread for coeliacs costs £1.99-£3.99 in most shops. The same thing on prescription is free.

There are lots of things on prescription but its a bit tricky as it can take a good 6 months or so before you can get to grips with it. The reason for this is the time lag between you ordering, receiving and eating. Eg if you order Juvela Fresh baked bread on 1 April, you will receive in on 1 May. You then eat it and think, hmm I dont like that so you order say Dietary Specials bread on 2 May. It then takes another month for you to order and try. Also, you have to balance the quantities as you have to make it last a month but over order and you will be bining expensive food which is obviously wrong.

Once settled, you will know what to order and how much. You just tick the boxes. If you need any extras, just add to you list via your GP. Some stuff is ok, a lot is disgusting - its just trial and error.

Then top up with the luxury items from the supermarkets!

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by kaaloo; 17-04-2007 at 8:44 AM.
    Bismillah
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 17th Apr 07, 8:48 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    suzy g
    hi thank KAALOO for that but I am still none the wiser:confused: as i pay for prescriptions, and i buy a mix of different things each week or month, but am i right in thinking you can only order one type of thing on each precription?? that's why im Turing to find out what other people order each month to give me some ideas thanks
    Vegan and veg grower Nov 2015
    instagramer of food.... sue_the_plantbased
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

814Posts Today

7,013Users online

Martin's Twitter