Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 12th Sep 04, 12:37 PM
    • 17,915Posts
    • 39,690Thanks
    Glad
    Budget for Xmas
    • 12th Sep 04, 12:37 PM
    Budget for Xmas 12th Sep 04 at 12:37 PM
    Make a list of all the food items that you buy every Xmas, and that have a shelf life of longer than 15 weeks (that's right peeps 15 weeks and it'll all be over),
    buy one of these items each week with your weekly shop to cut down on the large bill just before Xmas !
    Things with a shorter shelf life can be saved for weeks nearer Xmas
Page 1
    • ashmit
    • By ashmit 12th Sep 04, 1:20 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    ashmit
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:20 PM
    Re: Budget for Xmas
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:20 PM
    What a great idea, glad!

Also, get a regular savers account which will take interest off you if you make more than one withdrawal a year. Pay in a set amount each month (20 does it for me) and hey presto - 240 for xmas pressies and nights out!

Of course, I always realise in November that I have no idea where my passbook is to actually get the money out, but I always find it before Christmas Eve
  • karebob
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:21 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:21 PM
    Great idea Glad

I'm going to have to keep the stuff well hidden from the family though ;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 12th Sep 04, 1:41 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:41 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:41 PM
    I think there is a web site called organizedchristmas.com

A bit over the to as it's American but has some useful tips and pages to print out.
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 12th Sep 04, 1:55 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 1:55 PM
    No you aren't, but I find it helps to think about in little bits rather than a huge out-of-hand panic at the end!

PS Noticed Christmas Cards in Marks & Spencer yesterday
  • frances2
    • 12th Sep 04, 6:28 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 6:28 PM
    Found this UK linkhttp://www.xmaspudding.co.uk/organise.php
  • frances2
    • 12th Sep 04, 6:29 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 6:29 PM
    sorry! this one http://www.xmaspudding.co.uk/organise.php
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 12th Sep 04, 9:02 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 12th Sep 04, 9:02 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 9:02 PM
    We've agreed to just give to the youngsters now. It all gets too out of hand these days.
    • lswwong
    • By lswwong 12th Sep 04, 9:52 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    lswwong
    • 12th Sep 04, 9:52 PM
    • 12th Sep 04, 9:52 PM
    Very nice one, Glad! Bravo.

Just shows what a bit of organisation and common sense can do.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 12th Sep 04, 10:21 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    I save all my Tesco Clubcard Reward Vouchers through the year and use them in the weeks leading up to Christmas for all the extras. I can usually get up to about 200 in the year by using my Tesco credit card for my business travelling, hotels petrol etc.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 13th Sep 04, 1:57 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Last year I bought two Christmas items every week from the 1st of Oct. My Christmas week shop was then no more expensive than usual.
    A great idea thanks for reminding me to do it again this year. - Now what shelf are the mince pies on?
    • By 16011996 13th Sep 04, 4:36 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    that is a fab idea glad, will give that a try. although just tp prove how sad i am, xmas cake baked and in cupboard already. :-[
    • tru
    • By tru 13th Sep 04, 4:38 PM
    • 8,720 Posts
    • 45,920 Thanks
    tru
    That's not sad. !I was gonna do mine this week but I'm a bit busy. !I'm making them next week.

Or does it make me sad too ??? ;D ;D
    • By 16011996 13th Sep 04, 6:53 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    hope not, i'm on xmas puddings next week. :
    and am saving loo rolls for kids to make crackers.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 13th Sep 04, 7:21 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    and am saving loo rolls for kids to make crackers.
    I saved all the jokes from our 'bought' crackers one year and brought them out the following year to fill our home-made ones. No-one noticed ;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 13th Sep 04, 7:21 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    Haven't made the cake yet but have bought a couple of prezzies.
    • By 16011996 13th Sep 04, 7:28 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    i've kept toys from years gone past to go in crackers, no-one really plays with them anyway.
  • Lillibet
    Hi Glad

I follow this formula for my holiday shopping! I simply list everything I need to buy, sun cream/insect repellant/toothpaste/flip flops/holiday books/snacks etc & divide up by the number of shopping trips before I go & buy one or 2 items a week, most can be bought in the supermarket but I have time to plan if not. Saves the big rush through Boots the week before we go.

I don't want to make anyone scream but I actually finished my Xmas present shopping......last month!! OK, I have a few DVD's & CD's on order with Amazon 'cos they haven't been released yet but they are arranged & paid for. I know you are all sighing or shouting rude names at me via your computer screens, I really can't balme you, it's sad I know but hear me out.........
    I buy all through the year, using sales where possible & I have worked out that if I had bought the same stuff at full price I would have spent 49% more than by buying gradually & when on sale! I also save up all my loyalty points & use these for stocking filler gifts, decorations, cards etc & sale price gift "packages" in the January sales, I can usually cover all Xmas trimmings & most birthday pressies I need for a year out of loyalty points. Including what I have saved by using loyalty points I have saved just over 300 by planning in advance & will have absoutely no Xmas rush or last minute stress. I can enjoy all the Xmas social activites & spend lots of tiem with my family without worrying about availablity or budget. I think this makes it worth a little forethroguht & storage space but I must admit sometimes it is hard thinking about Xmas in April

OK, now you can go back to screaming at me.......... :P
  • mink35
    Lillibet - I'm not sure how old you are, but are you sure you're not my grandma reincarnated, lol! ;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 13th Sep 04, 9:57 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    Lillibet - I admire you!

The only time I was as organised as you are I ended up doing my Christmas shopping all over again because I'd changed my mind about what to get people. Mind you, that was before I had become a bit of savvy saver :-/

In a former life I was a real spendthrift. This year it will be different thanks to this site and everybody's advice and tips. Maybe I'm just a slow learner!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,085Posts Today

7,473Users online

Martin's Twitter