Making chicken feed of my mortgage

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

I always come away from your diary with questions MWC - what is 'wet garlic'?
    http://www.simplygarlic.co.uk/Wet%20Garlic.html

I'd never heard of it either, but I will hopefully have some soon as I have been growing garlic :T
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    I must have soggy garlic - I plant it, then forget to harvest it because I let it all die down and by then I'm too excited by the fruiting raspberry canes! Just when is it supposed to be dug up??
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds delicious :)
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Love the self nomination!! You go girl. Nominated self for an award once too - but they discounted it :rotfl:
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Eggs IN 7 :T
    Eggs OUT 2 (Mr MWC made mayonnaise)

I've just seen a bat :cool:
    Fingers crossed it doesn't decided to take up residence in the loft like the squirrel and the sparrows...
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Eggs IN 7 :T
    Eggs OUT 2 (Mr MWC made mayonnaise)

I've just seen a bat :cool:
    Fingers crossed it doesn't decided to take up residence in the loft like the squirrel and the sparrows...

We had a squirrel in our loft! It nearly scratched through down to the back bedroom! Got rid of it firstly by leaving loft light on - not mse at all. Then dh sprayed a whole can of his strongly scented deodorant up there. Then he got that expanding filler stuff and 'did something' in the relevant area of the loft.

No more squirrel.

But I do see one swagger across the garden looking like he's the leader of the gang. Dd pointed out that he has a very fat bottom, so I feel a little better when faced with such attitude from a small hairy pest.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Our solution was much less MSE - rentokill. Or more accurately rento-no-kill as they didn't manage to trap the squirrel but instead waited until it was out and then put some weldmesh over the entrance hole!

It dug up and nibbled another 2 canna today :mad:

They are so cute though especially the black ones...

Monsoon-like rains here :eek:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Dd pointed out that he has a very fat bottom, so I feel a little better when faced with such attitude from a small hairy pest.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Pest control by dissin' dem :rotfl::rotfl:

I love it! :D

Wonder if it'll stop neighbourhood cats pooping in me garden if I think about all their character flaws :rotfl:

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2014 at 2:37PM

Today has been a spendy day:
    A 70-mile round-trip to have my haircut - unfortunately it appears that she cut out all the brown hairs and left the grey ones :( :rotfl:
    I also popped into the lingerie shop and bought 2 bras (£41 each :eek:). According to their database, I last bought new bras in 2010... oh the shame :o:o:o
    )

^^ this ^^ really made me laugh!

A database of customers' bra purchasing! If I went there with my ever increasing cuppage, they'd definitely have to call it a spreadsheet! No shame in going so long between bras though, it shows you're well up in the MSE make do and mend stakes!

Sorry about the pesky squirrel MWC, nothing more annoying than all your pennies and hard work becoming dinner for a forager, especially when they pull them up, take one bite and then cast aside!

Good luck with the nomination x
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • Habibiboo wrote: »

Sorry about the pesky squirrel MWC, nothing more annoying than all your pennies and hard work becoming dinner for a forager, especially when they pull them up, take one bite and then cast aside!

I was feeling smug because I thought I had beaten it in the 'Battle of the Onions'... with hindsight I should have sacrificed the onions as they only cost me £1!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family