Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    • 275Posts
    • 692Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver"
    • 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver" 2nd Oct 12 at 10:19 PM
    I'd like to start my diary by making a declaration - I am currently neither Frugal nor a Saver .

I'm starting a diary in the hope that it will help motivate me to become frugal and once debts are paid off I would like to become a saver.

I have been watching over this forum for a number of years and felt inspired by so many stories but it is only recently I have felt the urge to get a grip on my debt. I think it might be an age thing, I'm getting to a point in life where I'd like to be married and have kids. The main thing holding me back on either of these is money (I have a loving boyfriend of 7 years, the main disagreements we ever have are about money).

My debt is not a lot compared to a lot of people on this forum but to me it is a mountain (currently approx £10,030). I could go on for ages about how I ended up in this situation but that's not going to help me get out of the debt.

I'm not worried if anyone reads my diary, there is a selfish element in that I hope it will help me change my spending/borrowing habits. But also I hope it will help inspire others in the same way I have been inspired reading other peoples diaries.

I would also like to apologise in advance if I go off in a tangent, I am well known for starting a conversation about one topic and ending on something completely unrelated.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my posts.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £5,950 (09/09/18)
Page 12
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 15th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    NSD today. Went to a birthday with LO but they had ordered a platter of sandwiches for adults as well as kids so that was really thoughtful.

Tomorrow won't be so good as play date will be for lunch but that should be my only spend.

Finally received money I cashed out for a survey site earlier in the week. Other survey site I think I might cash out on Tesco rather than amazon vouchers as they can then be used towards food shopping and the money I would have spent will go towards additional debt repayment.

Getting closer to pay day but feel less motovated when I don't see the debt reducing for a long period of time. Think expenses won't come through until next Friday now by which time I will have probably spent more money which I'll need to claim on expenses.

Trying to think of more ways to earn more money. I have a Fitbit which I don't use as it's small and I really need a large now. It's a few years old now but still I'm reasonable condition. Haven't sold anything on eBay for ages so not sure if it's really worth the hassle. Also have a huge bag of clothes which I keep meaning to take to cash4clothes. Wouldn't get more than a few quid for it but better than nothing.

Will just have to push myself to do surveys for now. Close to cashing out £50 on two different survey sites so hopefully that will come through in the next month or so.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 16th Sep 18, 10:09 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Did well today, only spent £10 as we ended up going to the cinema so I used up my vouchers and paid a smaller contribution towards lunch even though I said not to worry as the vouchers needed using anyway.

Undecided if I will make another payment on my credit card tomorrow. I’m on target to be able to pay an extra £100 but with 10days still to go until payday I’m paranoid something will crop up that’s I haven’t budgeted for.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 17th Sep 18, 11:14 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Been thinking about the overpayments on my credit card. As the interest is at 0% until the end of January I'm not going to make overpayments. Instead I will keep it in my current account which earns interest and pay it off just before the 0% deal ends. I know it won't earn that much interest but it's better than nothing. I will just keep a record of how much I am setting aside for overpayments so as long as I'm sticking to budgets it will still be there in January. Not as motivating as seeing the balance reduce but I will add this into my formula on my debt spreadsheet so I can still see the debt coming down
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 18th Sep 18, 7:42 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    First full day of holiday and DD was wide awake at 4am, couldnít get her back to sleep so put the tv on and just as I was drifting back to sleep she demands breakfast. After that we cuddle up on the sofa and sheís fallen asleep and Iím wide awake now.

So this morning I have already checked bank accounts, updated spreadsheet to include Ďcredit card overpayment potí in current account per last post to keep track of that.

Checked energy reading from home, weíre on a smart meter and Iíve found it motivating to keep an eye on it and try and keep it as low as possible. This year the monthly total has reduced every single month and Iím hoping to keep that trend for another month before heating and shorter daylight hours come into play. Last time we were away gas and electricity was still 66p a day with just the standing charge and things left on standby. This time Iím hoping it will be less as I made sure I switched off everything at the wall except kitchen appliances. Wonít be much of a saving but I love a challenge,

While weíre away I have plans to keep spending as minimal as possible. I meal planned lunch and dinner for all but one day and did click and collect for food shopping. I also packed a lot of things from home such as snacks, toilet roll, kitchen roll etc.

I will take coffee as tea sachets home with us as brought our own from home but these can be handy to have. Same with toiletries, there are small bottles of shower gel etc but will use our own. Those ones could be good if ever travelling abroad.

Will not pay for extortionate activities. Iíve booked two activities for DD at £7.50 each which are already paid for. The rest of the time will be spent swimming, at the park or exploring the forest.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 19th Sep 18, 6:14 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Awake before DD this morning, not as early as yesterday thankfully. I don’t mind waking up (slightly) early when I’m on holiday or at weekends, it gives me a chance to think about the day ahead and plan things.

Yesterday was a NSD, think I’m doing well to reach target this month, need to update and check physical diary. Might get another one today or at the very least it will be minimal spending.

Checked bank accounts this morning. Expenses from work showing in my account now but won’t be rushing to pay off this off credit card, it can stay in my current account earning (very small) interest.

I’ve seen there is TSB current account which you can earn 5% on balances up to £1,500, you just need to pay in £500 a month. This is much better than Lloyds which I use but I have no plans to switch banking. I know loyalty counts for nothing with banking but I get anxious when it comes to making changes to things and I’m not a fan of big changes. The TSB account would be useful for me so I have a bank with a branch nearby as I live in Scotland where there are no Lloyds branches. I think I would put some of my savings in the TSB account to utilise the £1,500 then set up a standing order for the £500 a month and use the account for food shopping and entertainment spending. At the end of the month I’d move everything over £1.5k back to Lloyds account and start again. Just need to find time to visit a branch as you can’t apply online.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 20th Sep 18, 7:15 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Just a small spend yesterday as I forgot ketchup . Gas and electricity is 1p cheaper after I turned everything off standby, oh well every penny counts. Need to get organised and meal plan for next week so I can order food delivery for the weekend.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,663Posts Today

8,044Users online

Martin's Twitter