Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    • 276Posts
    • 692Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver"
    • 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver" 2nd Oct 12 at 10:19 PM
    I'd like to start my diary by making a declaration - I am currently neither Frugal nor a Saver .

I'm starting a diary in the hope that it will help motivate me to become frugal and once debts are paid off I would like to become a saver.

I have been watching over this forum for a number of years and felt inspired by so many stories but it is only recently I have felt the urge to get a grip on my debt. I think it might be an age thing, I'm getting to a point in life where I'd like to be married and have kids. The main thing holding me back on either of these is money (I have a loving boyfriend of 7 years, the main disagreements we ever have are about money).

My debt is not a lot compared to a lot of people on this forum but to me it is a mountain (currently approx 」10,030). I could go on for ages about how I ended up in this situation but that's not going to help me get out of the debt.

I'm not worried if anyone reads my diary, there is a selfish element in that I hope it will help me change my spending/borrowing habits. But also I hope it will help inspire others in the same way I have been inspired reading other peoples diaries.

I would also like to apologise in advance if I go off in a tangent, I am well known for starting a conversation about one topic and ending on something completely unrelated.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my posts.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    Current debt 」5,950 (09/09/18)
Page 11
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 28th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    NSD again. No CC statement but I'm becoming far too obsessed with checking my statements multiple times a day to see if payments have cleared.

Food shopping sorted for delivery tomorrow although still contemplating delaying it for one day, don't think there's anything I need in the shopping for tomorrow.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 29th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    First spend of the week today. Couldn't wait until tomorrow for shopping after all so had to pop to local shop for a few bits. With the shopping tomorrow I'm now left with less than 」4.00 until Sunday. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Nursery fees now confirmed and best news is I don't need to pay anything this month as I have just about enough in childcare vouchers to cover the payment as I didn't need to use it all last month when LO started. Once that's used up it's only an additional 」40 month on top of the vouchers. What a difference compared to 」300 ����������I was spending previously.

This means I have gone from struggling to find the cash for weekly budget to having 」80 buffer. Feeling much more organised now and less stressed.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 30th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    」30 better off today. 」5.00 returned from the kitty we had for drinks last Friday and my sister transferred some money owed to me that I wasn't worried about seeing again.

That will pay for the new coat I ordered last week. Just need to decide which one to keep, I ordered 2 to get free delivery (returns to shop are free) and for choice as I wasn't sure which one would suit/fit me.

Desperately need a waterproof coat as I had one which I'd had for 15 yrs and the zip broke and another I was given in an old job which is about 8 yrs old but too small as I've put on a bit of weight in recent years.

Can't decide between the two coats which are completely different. It doesn't help that I don't have a decent mirror to see how they look. May just have to go with my 3 year olds choice if I can't decide!

Can't believe it's the end of august tomorrow. Think it's time to start thinking about xmas if only to make sure I'm not spending money I don't have on presents that aren't needed/appreciated.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 31st Aug 18, 10:45 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Well today was an even better MSE day than yesterday.

Finally got a refund from the old nursery, that's an extra 」226 to go towards the credit card.

My savings account also matured and I earned 」55.00 in interest. Opened a new savings account to move money around to get the best rates.

Returned some items to shop which were bought with a gift card I was given 18 months ago, I've been struggling to spend the money on the card and have returned many items after changing my mind. Had a browse after returning some shoes and came across some umbrellas reduced from 」10 to 」1 and some socks reduced to a pound as well. Stocked up using the gift card (and still have a balance). Will use an umbrella myself, the rest will be put aside as spare gifts or for when I need to replace me umbrella as I'm constantly breaking umbrellas.

As my spend at the shops was on a gift card I'm counting this as a NSD. Also didn't ended up having left overs for dinner so that's extended my meal planning by a day. Didn't realise until I finished unpacking all the shopping last night that I had a loaf of bread I'd never ordered. Already bought a loaf the day before and not a fan of freezing bread so think I might make bread and butter pudding tomorrow. Also did price comparision for my shopping and got money of my next shop as it wasn't 10% cheaper than elsewhere.

Re-jigged money in my accounts as I realised my main current account earns interest monthly but I wasnt utilising this as money was set aside in another account to stop me spending it. Now I will swap and use the other account for day to day spending and transfer money to that account to use at the beginning of every week.

i was going to do all my money shuffling and non direct debit payments tomorrow but I think I might leave that until Monday as I assume that's when direct debits will go out so will aim to do it all on the same day.

Will only make minimum payment on credit card initially to make sure i don't encounter any problems with my budget this month. When I get closer to the payment due date I will assess my balances to ensure I'm not going to leave myself short and fall back to using the credit card again.

Feeling very positive about reducing my debt again but don't think this will last as I really don't like it when I go for long periods of time where I don't see any movement in the balance. Maybe I should look at making small overpayments on a weekly basis if I'm on target with budget.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 1st Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Well that’s my weekly budget blown. Had to buy head lice treatment for myself and my daughter and also a great way to spend a Saturday night, not! Already tried a free treatment from the chemist but that didn’t seem to get rid of them all plus at the time I didn’t think I had any but now I do. Horrible things.

Besides that everything is on track. Played around with a spreadsheet this morning to work out how my budgeting will affect debt and savings. I do love spreadsheets!

Tomorrow should be a NSD. Hoping to make it to the cinema with LO using my free cinema tickets which need using up. Will take snacks from the cupboard and water for us both. One thing that may cause me to spend money will be if LO decides she’s too tired to walk and we end up getting the bus home. Hoping that the excitement of the cinema will help alleviate her ‘tired legs’. Might even take her scooter with us.

If I find time in the morning I’m hoping to make some soup which should do a few lunches at work next week.

Need to keep focussed with budget. I was very tempted to buy a bottle of wine this evening as I thought the budget’s blown what difference is another fiver but then I realised that would be the start of me returning to old ways when actually I can try and recover the overspend in the next few weeks.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Sep 18, 6:05 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    One successful MSE trip to the cinema today. Not a penny spent. Took plenty of snacks and wasn’t even tempted by any shops while in town.

Came home and applied for a 0% fee balance transfer for up to 23 months at 0% but was only offered 18 months with 3% fee. As only some of my debt is incurring interest at the moment I didn’t proceed. Instead I looked at what offers my current 2 credit have. Best I can get now is to move the interest debt to 4.9% interest for with no fee. When 0% ends on rest of the debt I will consider a 0% with a fee but not paying it now as I know I can reduce the debt before it’s needed.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • iwanttogoonholiday
    • By iwanttogoonholiday 2nd Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    iwanttogoonholiday
    Subscribed
    Learning to keep within budgets !

• Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 3rd Sep 18, 10:04 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Subscribed
    Originally posted by iwanttogoonholiday
    Thanks, welcome to my diary

Another NSD today. Meant to post my September targets the other day, here they are:
    • 10 NSDs (already on 2 but as this is my first month I値l leave it at 10, I値l increase it next month if I find this is too low
    • Increase savings by 」200
    • Get credit card debit back below 」6k (and update signature as this is from over a year ago)
    • Take lunch to work everyday (only in the office 4 days a week so I知 hopeful I can achieve this)
    • Keep heating off all month
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 4th Sep 18, 9:05 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Just a small spend today for lunch and dinner things. So proud of myself for resisting the temptation of a reduced pack of donuts. It took so much will power not to buy it but I’m so determined right now, I do not need to be spending 50p here and there on ‘bargains’ I had no intention of buying anyway.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 4th Sep 18, 10:07 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Well done on resisting those donuts
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 5th Sep 18, 9:25 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thanks, it was so difficult to walk away from them but really pleased with myself.

Small spend again today, really need to organise the shopping for the weekend so I don't have to do small shops next week.

Spent some time playing with a snowball calculator earlier. Worked out I'm better off over paying on 0% interest card than the 4.9% as 0% ends soon and then it reverts to 17.65% and any fee to move it over elsewhere will be more than the interest I'm paying on the lower interest debt.

Just trying to stay focussed everyday, I'm so easily distracted I know it won't take much for me to slip into old habits
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 6th Sep 18, 10:15 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    More adjustments to budget today. Realised I need an 'entertainment/gift' budget after putting money in a collection at work today. Have set this at 」50 a month by reducing savings. Frustrated that I have to reduce monthly contributions to savings but it needs to be this way or I would end up back in debt. Have also decided that with any money left over at the end of the month will be split approximately 75% debt to 25% savings (depending on how much it is).

Have also set my self a target of reducing credit card debt to 」5k before 0% deal ends at the end of Jan 19. This is achievable if I over pay 」130 every month which is certainly a challenge but not impossible.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 7th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Quiet day today. No spending and no bills going out. I've been thinking about whether or not to visit Ikea as I have a 」5 off 」40 voucher to spend. I do want to get somethings from there but not 」40 worth so gave decided to leave it for now.

Hoping for a quiet weekend as well. Shopping arriving tomorrow and that should last the week. Just over 」10 left of the weekly budget.

Had a letter to say that my credit limit will be increased on one of my cards. This would mean I could transfer all over to one card when 0% deal ends depending on what deals are available to me at the end of January.

MSE things I have done tonight
    -Did housework when I got home instead of putting on tv/laptop to save electricity and get housework done
    - keep tv off instead of having it on in the back ground
    - checked food shopping delivery and removed items not needed
    -checked and completed online surveys, really need to get back into this
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 8th Sep 18, 9:58 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Biggest spend of the week today with the weekly shopping but still within budget and still enough left to make up for last weeks overspend.

Spent time sorting out paperwork this morning and realised the council tax bill is over 10 months so Feb and March I値l have some extra money to throw at credit cards. Would rather keep it that way as if I split it over 12 months I would end up spending the small extra cash each month on everyday spends. This way the money will go straight on overpaying credit cards.

Made an overpayment on one of my credit cards today to take it to a round figure. Credit card debit is now at 」5,950. If I can keep on track I should be able to over pay another 」100 before payday.

Hoping for a NSD tomorrow. Have plenty of housework to keep me busy and nothing I can think of that I need to buy.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 9th Sep 18, 8:50 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Update on month targets
    • 10 NSDs 4/10 - On target
    • Increase savings by 」200 On target
    • Get credit card debit back below 」6k Done - now at 」5,950 and hoping to make another payment of 」100
    • Take lunch to work everyday On target - done everyday so far. Only 3 days to worry about this week
    • Keep heating off all month On target - unless weather turns really bad think I can do this
    Originally posted by Frugal Saver
    One very productive NSD here. Lots of housework and cooking done. Set myself a list of things to do for the day and I have done everything except studying. My first exam is on Thursday which I知 really nervous about but passed the mock exams I致e done so far. Hopefully I can squeeze in another one before then.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 10th Sep 18, 10:00 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Last weeks spend came in under budget so I'm really pleased. Spent 」2.99 on p&p for a free mug from photobox this morning which is for a xmas present. Have kept it in weekly budget as I fear I may go over budget for entertainment this month ( only at 」5.00 spend so far but have another work night on Friday and birthday presents which I don't think I will keep under 」45 in total but will try my best.

Hoping weekly spend will be low this week. We're going away for a few days next week so don't need to do a big shop. We're going self catering and I plan to do click and collect for food shopping so we're not spending holiday time shopping and still stick to budget.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 11th Sep 18, 10:45 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Trying to get back into surveys to earn extra cash.

Logged onto one of my survey accounts today and found a balance of 」8.00 which I could cash out to PayPal so I've requested that. Not sure how long it will take to process but it will be going towards credit card overpayment.

Struggling to get back into swagbucks, doesn't seem as easy to get points anymore.

Have enough to cash out at valued opinions unless I wait to get to 」15 for amazon vouchers. This is my least favourite site as you can only claim vouchers not cash and I don't think I would use any of the vouchers except amazon.

I also have 」4.00 available to cash out from quidco but I'm holding out until the rest of the balance is available (」40) but I've found then to be really slow at paying out so might be waiting a while.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 12th Sep 18, 10:31 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    In the last two days I’ve spent 」53 on clothes for little one other gifts for birthdays and Christmas. Have decided that rather than add extra money to saving will put it towards things like that particularly with Xmas coming.

Still nothing else spent on weekly budget, hoping to make it to the end of the week and have some left over so I can buy a few luxuries for our week away next week.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 13th Sep 18, 10:39 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Expenses have been approved at work so should be getting the money for that soon. Only the second time I've claimed but last time the money arrived 3 days after it was approved so hopefully don't have to wait too long.

Will have to make another claim soon though as I passed my first exam today and now I need to book my next one. I'm so grateful my work are paying for this. Before my boss suggested this course I didn't know about it but now I'm really enjoying and had they not agreed to pay I think I would have done it myself anyway but at a slower pace to spread the cost.

Busy few days ahead and need to stay on track. No NSDs this week but spending has been minimal. Food shopping has been ordered ready for collection enroute to our holiday on Monday.

Meals are planned until we go away, just a few bits needed for this. Biggest potential spend is birthday party LO is attending on Saturday and play date with another kid on Sunday. Birthday gift us bought but it will be lunch time and while LO will be sorted for food I will not and won't have time to sort anything in the morning. I'm hoping I can last until we get home.

Not sure what plans are for Sunday yet but if it's raining no doubt we will end up at another softplay.

At some point in amongst that I need to pack for holiday. I cannot wait.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 15th Sep 18, 8:22 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Didn’t get time to post yesterday. Straight out for drinks after work. Spent 」20 which I’m pleased with. Was starting to feel like I was slipping into old habits as I’ve been spending bits here and there this week but I have accounted for all spends on my excel spreadsheet so I think I’m doing ok. Weekly budget is still very low less than 」5 spent. Will need to get a few bits this weekend for dinner tomorrow but besides that shouldn’t need anything else.

Need to get organised for holiday next week. I have a long list of things to pack just need to physically pack now
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 」10,573.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

3,839Users online

Martin's Twitter