Comments

• Djene
    Djene Posts: 85 Forumite
    Wonder whats going on.

[IMG][/img]12543134_214787602199235_1166111669_n_zpsaun9qic0.jpg
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi there, I would like just to update this thread to confirm that it is still possible to open a C&C account (March/April 2016) but I believe you do get the C&C card most probably based on income and history with the RBS group as you get also a direct line and relationship to your Personal Banker to discuss banking needs and investment opportunities. I have also an account at Drummonds Bank, and can also confirm that they do not seem to issue a Branded Debit Card, at least to everyone, as I have a C&C debit card (new one has the smaller chip and no visible contactless compatibility) but the Drummonds account has come with the regular RBS' large chip and contactless debit card.
    I also discovered that Drummonds and Coutts share some private banking managers, and therefore I think it is likely that high net worth individuals may possibly be getting a Drummonds Card.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Did you open in branch or online?

The cards are not contactless, but you can add them on Apple Pay.
  • Marchitiello
    edited 19 May 2016 at 12:31PM
    Opened account online (March 2016), once I had received everything (C&C debit card etc) did also few transactions on the account to test fast payments, I got invited into the Branch for a formal introduction by my Personal Banker, who also give you his direct line. I had held to that point a Natwest account and credit card duo with excellent records and overdraft facility for over a decade. C&C approved me online and immediately issued me with an account numbers and overdraft limit (double my NatWest one). Drummonds was opened slightly earlier and got approved with even an higher overdraft limit, but they issued me with a regular RBS debit card. As I mentioned, one of the private banker there hold a dual role at Coutts, so I guess if you qualify for a black reward current account, that may come with a Drummonds branded black debit card.

I am aware about Apple Pay, I have loaded it straight away. It is nice to see the C&C branded card on your apple wallet.

I would like to say that although the back office should be shared, so far I have had a much better service online and on the phone with RBS that I ever did with Natwest ( I stopped using their credit card after an argument over the phone with their CS) and have also closed the NatWest accounts. Branch interaction is even better but it looks like the teams are selected in a different way than NatWest ( and I used to custom at their Knightsbridge branch).
  • Paul_1977
    edited 12 May 2016 at 8:06PM
    They have certainly made changes, as I opened an account at the start of 2015, got a child card, and was given an overdraft but not a credit card. No contact from branch. Never heard from branch at all.

I would hate to think they had overlooked me.

Are you a high net worth individual? I will likely stop using my child account soon as other banks do more to get you. I will keep it for a backup and dump some money in there every month just to keep it active.

Did you get a cheque book, very nice cheques.
  • Marchitiello
    Paul_1977 wrote: »
    They have certainly made changes, as I opened an account at the start of 2015, got a child card, and was given an overdraft but not a credit card. No contact from branch. Never heard from branch at all.

I would hate to think they had overlooked me.

Are you a high net worth individual? I will likely stop using my child account soon as other banks do more to get you. I will keep it for a backup and dump some money in there every month just to keep it active.

Did you get a cheque book, very nice cheques.

No, not yet at least,😉 But I think I am on a good income already, just shy of the type that qualify you for Private Banking with some other High Street banks. I believe I have an excellent credit history with my banks, have a mortgage, previously held large loans (Purchase hire car agreements) which were paid without arrears and settled and have some savings. It is nice knowing your bank branch people and be able to call them to discuss stuff, with them knowing who you are in person, not a bunch of data on a screen. I would believe that C&C branch could be tasked to target with a bit of extra TLC those individuals that are potentially able in few years to qualify for full private banking, whilst at the Drummonds branch you only get the full care once you really do.
  • Paul_1977
    No, not yet at least,�� But I think I am on a good income already, just shy of the type that qualify you for Private Banking with some other High Street banks. I believe I have an excellent credit history with my banks, have a mortgage, previously held large loans (Purchase hire car agreements) which were paid without arrears and settled and have some savings. It is nice knowing your bank branch people and be able to call them to discuss stuff, with them knowing who you are in person, not a bunch of data on a screen. I would believe that C&C branch could be tasked to target with a bit of extra TLC those individuals that are potentially able in few years to qualify for full private banking, whilst at the Drummonds branch you only get the full care once you really do.

It sounds like you are the sort of person they are aiming for.

Salary does not seem to have any factor in them giving you a Child account (as I was able to get one), however as they have made contact with you, they seem to be interested.

But, if you get to the point where you can get a private account at another bank, it would be better. The Child account is identical to a standard RBS account, even the debit card withdrawal limit. HSBC Premier has better benefits.

If Child were serious, they would begin to offer these services, like they used to.
  • Marchitiello
    I think external and RBS internal credit history and score played a good part in getting the Child & Co account as I was approved immediately. Further human investigation has led to the phone call I believe.

I believe that when you do qualify and use private banking with RBS some personal arrangements are made about certain things. Interest rate however seem to bit very bad.

The thing is high street banks have different criteria if you do or not qualify for private/premier banking. Some include having a mortgage of at least 300k with them (easy if you live in London), others look at salary (either as single or combined qualifying factor together with investments), and salary could vary from min £75-£100k and investments from £50 to 200k, so I believe of the total assessments of how you qualify and what can the bank can do for you.

Anyway, I am probably a couple of a job away from the min salary qualifying criteria and by then they may have increase it again. I remember when the min salary to open a Citi account was £25k (around 2003/04 I believe)... Look at it now..
  • Marchitiello
    I think I have found out why most accounts at RBS London Drummonds Branch do not get branded material: There are two sort codes for that Branch:
    a- 16-00-38 which has been discussed before and that give you standard RBS Debit Card and the RBS "Private" Cheque Book. This is the only one you are able to select online, and basically is a virtual standard RBS branch, whitin the Drummonds Private Bank premises.
    b- 16-00-50 which is "PRIVATE BANK DRUMMONDS" and give you the Drummonds branded Debit Card and Cheque book. This is a similar operation to Coutts and I guess you can only open an account by visiting the branch in person (as you are not able to apply for an RBS Black Account online) and with the right qualifying credential.

Hope this helps some curious readers.
  • Paul_1977
    Child also has a private sort code and a branch sort code, I know of people on both who have branded Child cards.

Does Drummond still operate, i.e. if you go to branch, is the logo slashed all over the place with staff wearing badges like at Child?

Sort code does not relate to account type.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure