Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • willow29
    • By willow29 13th Sep 12, 9:51 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 21Thanks
    willow29
    Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant
    • 13th Sep 12, 9:51 PM
    Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant 13th Sep 12 at 9:51 PM
    Hi guys, just wondering if this is a common phenomenon now. I was in La Cuisine on the Antrim Rd a few weeks ago and when we were placing our order I asked a glass of water but was refused one. When we asked why we were told that it was due to the cost of having to wash the glasses. To put things in context it was one of those hot (for here) days, we had had to stand for at least 15 mins waiting on a table and I was carrying a wriggly and heavy 6mth old baby as the place was too small for pushchair. I hope the money they saved will outweigh the cost of the lost custom as I certainly won't be back. They defended their policy by saying loads of other places were now doing this, just wondering if anyone else has come across this policy?

Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Tap Water guide.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren!!!8217;t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-07-2013 at 7:35 PM.
Page 16
    • jouef
    • By jouef 19th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    jouef
    ... Part of that service should include basic things like tap water, cutlery, crockery, napkins, tablecloths, etc.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    All on your list have on-costs but only tap water bears a significant opportunity cost.
    • skinnypaula
    • By skinnypaula 3rd Jan 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    skinnypaula
    50p for a glass of tap water
    We had a meal at a restaurant in Writtle, Essex, and even though we'd ordered a bottle of wine we had to pay 50p a glass for tap water!
    We've never been back!
    • tsmgo23
    • By tsmgo23 3rd Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tsmgo23
    I notice that my cinema (Cineworld) serves alcohol. Does anyone know if this means they must serve tap water? Thanks.
    • Supahan
    • By Supahan 3rd Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Supahan
    In the summer I went to Scarborough waterfront cafe with my family. I needed to breastfeed my 1 month old baby so ordered ice cream for the other 2 kids (which cost £5 each for 2 scoops!!!!!), 2 coffees and a glass of water for myself. (Have to have water whilst I'm feeding son otherwise I feel dehydrated)
    I was refused the tap water but told I could buy bottled water.
    We were also made to sit outside as they didn't allow buggies inside.. overall a horrible experience and will never be going back. Tried to complain to them but they had an answer for everything.
    Am surprised I wasn't told to leave because I was breastfeeding!! Still appealed that I couldn't have tap water whilst feeding my son though. Seems crazy in this day and age...
    • RikM
    • By RikM 3rd Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    RikM
    I notice that my cinema (Cineworld) serves alcohol. Does anyone know if this means they must serve tap water? Thanks.
    Originally posted by tsmgo23
    In NI? No. that rule isn't implemented over here. I don't know about the rest of the UK...
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 3rd Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Cotta
    How has a post about tap water gained such legs?
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 3rd Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Originally posted by Cotta
    Water on the brain?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • RikM
    • By RikM 3rd Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    RikM
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/raw-water-latest-dangerous-natural-health-fad/
    • Mr_Happy50
    • By Mr_Happy50 4th Jan 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr_Happy50
    I've noticed a developing practice of being asked as you are seated whether you want '"still or sparkling water" even before the topic is broached. I take this to be a psychological trick to dissuade the punter from asking for free tap water as to do so would be to start the sentence with 'No' which some people may find difficult. I experienced this script in both Dublin and Oxford and so doubt this is a coincidence.

For those that are denied the free glass of water to which they are entitled, I suggest you publicize your experience on Trip Advisor.
    • Mr_Happy50
    • By Mr_Happy50 4th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr_Happy50
    Originally posted by Cotta
    I guess it just runs and runs!
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 6th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I guess it just runs and runs!
    Originally posted by Mr_Happy50
    It’s tapped into a deep well of resentment.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • singhini
    • By singhini 6th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    singhini
    I got sacked from a restaurant for lying about the tap water.
    When people asked for tap water I used to say sure no problem but are you sure you want it as our water supplier at this restaurant is "company name" and they treat their water with Chlorine, Fluorine, Trihalomethate, metals of radium, aluminium, lanthanum, copper, lead, mercury, barium, nitrates, arsenic compounds, pesticides and bleach. Please note our ice-cubes are not made from this tap water; they are bought in but the packaging just states "purified water" but what that water is purified with only god knows.

Sometimes if I didn't like the look of the customers I said they cant have the tap water as it had been switched off due to supplier contamination and that when they get home they will probably hear about it on the local news.

This was something like 30 years ago and so people took my word for it rather than look it up on mobile phones.

On a serious note, what would happen if you ordered a glass of tap water and fell ill ? Makes me think I wouldn't offer anyone tap water but offer them 1 complementary 330ml bottle per person (and stick a 12.5% service charge on their bill)
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 16,753 Posts
    • 9,934 Thanks
    motorguy
    It’s tapped into a deep well of resentment.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Personally i just let it all wash over me.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 6th Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    Has this thread been Moved from the NI board?
    Do we have Cineworld here?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/spottylegs
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 6th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/tap-water-rights?utm_content=1514981244&utm_medium=social&ut m_source=twitter
    Interesting read!
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/spottylegs
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 16,753 Posts
    • 9,934 Thanks
    motorguy
    Has this thread been Moved from the NI board?
    Do we have Cineworld here?
    Originally posted by Cherryscone
    Yes it links from the main board / thread on it to here, as well as being directly on the NI Board.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Elrel
    • By Elrel 26th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elrel
    Pizza Express
    Good idea to suggest an optional charity donation!
    • RikM
    • By RikM 26th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    RikM
    Yes it links from the main board / thread on it to here, as well as being directly on the NI Board.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    That's kind of unfortunate, given that the law on this point is different in NI...
    • tyw7
    • By tyw7 10th Apr 18, 12:49 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    tyw7
    Apparently so...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cineworld

There are Cineworld cinemas in England.
    "Character is a journey, not a destination"--Bill Clinton

Gotta save em all!
    • RikM
    • By RikM 10th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    RikM
    Apparently so...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cineworld

There are Cineworld cinemas in England.
    Originally posted by tyw7
    That's a "no" then... no branches of Cineworld here... (since "here" is the NI board.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,527Posts Today

7,005Users online

Martin's Twitter