Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 2nd Apr 07, 2:53 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?
    • 2nd Apr 07, 2:53 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it? 2nd Apr 07 at 2:53 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Rachel is over the moon; she's found the man of her dreams, Ross. He popped the question and so they had a big formal occassion, in which Rachel went to her local department store to buy a gorgeous £200 dress, especially to match the colour of the reception room. Neither of the pair have the best finances, and Rachel doubts she will ever wear a dress that colour again; so she's considering using the store's returns policy, even though she's worn it, to get her money back. Should she return it?

Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Previous MMDs: Should Darth take money from his kids' accounts? and Grant's been overpaid, should he keep it?

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 2nd Apr 07, 3:44 PM
    • 7,915 Posts
    • 10,749 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    • 2nd Apr 07, 3:44 PM
    • 2nd Apr 07, 3:44 PM
    I must admit I was tempted once but chickened out at the last minute.

I think that the dress probably will stink of smoke, unless she washes it first and then it will be obvious that it has been washed.

Rachel should have thought about her finances before she splashed out on an expensive dress that she could not afford.

Rachel should try and sell her dress to dress agency/ebay/friend and try and recover some of her money back
    • kiddy guy
    • By kiddy guy 3rd Apr 07, 9:29 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    kiddy guy
    • 3rd Apr 07, 9:29 PM
    • 3rd Apr 07, 9:29 PM
    Rachel should return it. She's done nothing more than have an extremely long "try on" session so send it back.

This from somebody who's worked in fashion for 10 years!
    • katecheshire
    • By katecheshire 3rd Apr 07, 11:05 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    katecheshire
    • 3rd Apr 07, 11:05 PM
    • 3rd Apr 07, 11:05 PM
    I wouldn't like to be the next person who bought the 'gorgeous' dress. Who was Rachel trying to impress as she already had her dream man? They are not starting their life together with a good financial attitude. If she could not afford it she should not have bought it - will she be taking her wedding dress back too!!
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 4th Apr 07, 2:35 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:35 AM
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:35 AM
    yes.....................
    GONE ENGLAND
    • Taadaa
    • By Taadaa 4th Apr 07, 2:39 AM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    Taadaa
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:39 AM
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:39 AM
    If Rachel was only going to wear it once, Rachel shouldn't have bought it in the first place!!

I wouldn't return it, I would flog it on e bay, and remember to think with my purse and not my heart in future.
    • impy78
    • By impy78 4th Apr 07, 2:40 AM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    impy78
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:40 AM
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:40 AM
    Of course she should. Who hasn't???

If they give her gip, wait a couple of days, undo the seam, take it to a different counter - bob's your uncle
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • deborah007
    • By deborah007 4th Apr 07, 6:35 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    deborah007
    • 4th Apr 07, 6:35 AM
    My Goodness!
    • 4th Apr 07, 6:35 AM
    I can't believe that this is a "Moral Dilemma".....

If Rachel has bought the dress and worn it of course she can't return it. The store has kept their side of the deal...supplying an item of quality and fit for the purpose.

If Rachel can't afford the dress then she shouldn't have bought it.....if she has bought it then she needs to deal with the consequences....be it a credit card bill or a loan from family or friend.

As previous posts have said....ebay it or aution it etc to get some money back.

• hpiper
    • 4th Apr 07, 7:43 AM
    • 4th Apr 07, 7:43 AM
    The whole point about 'money saving; is if you can't afford it, you don't buy it! Returning it to the shop would be cheating the shop and other customers who may buy it if it were to be returned to the shop floor. There's plenty of other shops out there with cheaper dresses in it.

She should either NOT buy the dress in the first place, or buy it and keep it (and as suggested elsewhere, sell it elsewhere). P'haps she could hire a gorgeous dress.
    • JeffMinter
    • By JeffMinter 4th Apr 07, 8:12 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    JeffMinter
    If money really was tight then I would have thought she would go for dress rental rather than buying it for a one off occasion. But unless it was a bare bones wedding, I would imagine the dress is just one of many costly expenses.

But no, she shouldn't return it. Moral reasons aside, the wedding dress is one of, if not the most important event of your life. To return it/sell it off as if it was a DVD on ebay would be an insult to the very meaning of a wedding. My mum still keeps her dress in a chest, a bit icky in my opinion but 26 years on, facing a rubbish pension and severely depleted savings, it has never crossed her mind to sell it.

Young people these days, eh?
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 4th Apr 07, 8:14 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    gingercordial
    I can't believe anyone would do this - moneysaving or not, it's just wrong!
  • pmd
    Money saving is one thing, theft is another. She bought it, wore it, should either keep it, look for local dress agency, or flog it on eBay.

The attitude that "of course it's OK to return it" is plain wrong.
  • tsutton
    Don't buy it, go to a rental shop and hire a dress. Works out cheaper.
    - Tony Sutton
  • Didcot Dynamo
    Sorry, but I am ashamed to hear people say she should return it! Money Saving is about being prudent - not dishonest!

Remember also, if you return goods, the store has to spend money getting it checked and either fixed or re-stocked. All that time and effort costs money, and the customers always pay the bills, so all you will do is put the prices up for your fellow, more honest, money savers.
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 4th Apr 07, 8:48 AM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 1,441 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    I agree with all the others the shop has delivered their side of the bargain and to return it would be dishonest !

Sell it on ebay or dress agency
  • nickinoo
    How awful that people would even consider returning the dress, I am shocked.
  • gillycat
    No way should she return it. She has worn it, therefore it is used goods. If she's not going to wear it again, she should have it cleaned and try to sell it on e-bay or a local shop that re-sells "designer clothes". Perhaps next time she won't be so stupid and will either not pay so much or will buy something she will wear again.
  • angieclair
    no....it's wrong! I wouldn't want to buy it!
  • dranz100
    Of course she should. Who hasn't???
    Originally posted by impy78
    Of course she shouldn't. Who hasn't? - I haven't and never will!!

When I saw this 'dilema' in the newsletter I was surprised: There is no moral dilema - its clear cut wrong - but I clicked on the link just to confirm my faith in mankind as generally honest and decent - how wrong I was!

Next weeks Moral 'dilema': Next door have asked you to water their plants while they're away - Should you take the opportunity to get out of debt by selling their telly and car and emptying their bank accounts?

Disgusted
    Dz
    • fionah
    • By fionah 4th Apr 07, 10:01 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    fionah
    How dishonest. If she couldn't afford it she shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I bet Rachel wouldn't like it if she had bought a "new" dress to find that someone else had worn it on a night out before her.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,515Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin