Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 5th Sep 12, 11:52 AM
    • 2,038Posts
    • 2,947Thanks
    hotcookie101
    Boiling condensed milk for caramel
    • 5th Sep 12, 11:52 AM
    Boiling condensed milk for caramel 5th Sep 12 at 11:52 AM
    I want to make some caramel for a recipe. Now it says in the recipe I can buy dulce de leche, or boil unopened tins of condensed milk for the caramel.

The tins say NOT to boil unopened as might explode? I know its H&S but can I boil them? And if so-do I just bung them in a pan and cover, or have water half way up? Can they go on the bottom or do they need a trivet beneath them? And will the condensed milk made from skimmed milk make caramel? or only full fat?

(PS I did search, but couldn't find a specific thread, so please if I missed it, merge me!)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 11-09-2012 at 1:31 PM.
Page 1
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Sep 12, 12:04 PM
    • 36,857 Posts
    • 474,348 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:04 PM
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:04 PM
    buy the tin of caramel.. it id really nice.. I would eat it out of the tin with a spoon given half a chance
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 5th Sep 12, 12:07 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    cutestkids
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:07 PM
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:07 PM
    Hi

If you are going to boil in the tin then pierce the top of the tin first put in water to come about 2 thirds of the way up the tin and leave the pot lid off, you will need to keep checking and topping up the water.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
    • hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 5th Sep 12, 12:22 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hotcookie101
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:22 PM
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:22 PM
    Ah, I'm too tight to buy the caramel!
    Am sure the recipe says she boils a few tins then keeps them in the cupboard, surely couldn't do that if it was open?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Sep 12, 12:27 PM
    • 12,219 Posts
    • 235,209 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:27 PM
    I have a bannoffee pie recipe which involves boiling a tin or carnation condensed milk. You need to whack it on something first to give it a big dent, then boil in a large pan, turning once to make sure both sides are evenly caramelised and you must not allow it to boil dry or it will probably explode. Lots of people I know have made the recipe many times and no one had had an exloding can yet.

Allow it to cool for some time (an hour is good) before you open it. HTH.

NB I whack mine on th kerbstone.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 5th Sep 12, 12:27 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 5,738 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    What cutestkids said. I usually put two or 3 holes in the lid first, since one might get clogged (just a quick punch through with the tin opener). From memory - and it's been quite a while - it takes about 45 minutes to turn sweetened condensed milk into caramel. (Hopefully, someone will be along shortly who can confirm that.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Possession
    • By Possession 5th Sep 12, 12:36 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:36 PM
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:36 PM
    My SIL did explode a can, so it does happen. Luckily nobody was in the kitchen at the time but you can imagine the mess.
    I haven't worked it out but the cost of running the hob might cancel out the extra cost of the carnation caramel tin (unless you've already got the condensed milk of course!).

• hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 5th Sep 12, 12:40 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hotcookie101
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:40 PM
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:40 PM
    Thanks everyone I have found a way to do it in the oven which needs to be one this afternoon for a long time anyway as am baking bread, making roasted tomato sauce, and meatballs, so it looks like I will give it a go.
    Can I use the skimmed milk one?
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Sep 12, 12:53 PM
    • 36,857 Posts
    • 474,348 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:53 PM
    • 5th Sep 12, 12:53 PM
    it takes ages to boil it to caramel so probably cheaper to buy the tins!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 5th Sep 12, 1:05 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    I've done it with the skimmed milk one - it's not as nice but does work.

I usually just do it with an unopened tin in a pot of water and make 100% sure it stays covered with water. It will only explode if you let it boil dry! My family have been using this method for years, generations even, and have never had a problem with it exploding. A good plan is to set a timer so you don't forget to check it every half hour or so. It does take a long time, at least 2-3 hours using this method, 4-5 for the yummier dark caramel. Beyond 5 hours it can catch and have a slight burned taste to it.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 5th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hotcookie101
    Yeah, I think next time I will just buy the caramel, but will see how it turns out in the oven
  • mildred1978
    Please read up on Nestl! before you buy any more carnation products.

www.babymilkaction.org
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    Tim Minchin
  • gibson123
    There is no need to boil it to make caramel, just empty it into a thick bottomed pan over a low heat and stir continuously for about 15 minutes, add brown sugar for a darker caramel, let is cool and Bob's your Auntie. The only time I boil is if I am not going to use it for a while or have a huge batch to make, e.g. a bake sale, then I do about 8 cans together.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Sep 12, 10:18 PM
    • 64,926 Posts
    • 381,114 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you're scared to boil and if you have a camping stove and it's nice outside...... boil it in the garden
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 5th Sep 12, 10:22 PM
    • 5,858 Posts
    • 12,054 Thanks
    krlyr
    I've boiled them without piercing any holes and no explosions here. It does take ages though so I started doing the pan method - condensed milk, butter and brown sugar, as per the Carnation website - http://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/8/Classic-Banoffee-Pie
    Just remember to keep stirring and try to heat an an even temperature (so be careful with thin bottomed saucepans) or the caramel can separate. Had a nightmare the other week when I nipped over to grab a cake out of my nan's oven (wouldn't fit in my combination microwave) and came to find the caramel separating. Salvaged it by adding a little hot water and stirring a lot until it came back together - phew!

Alternatively, the caramel comes up on special offers occasionally so stock up then. I tend to empty it into a bowl and microwave for short spurts to make it a bit gooey-er so it settles on top of the banoffee better (it's quite jelly-like initially)
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 5th Sep 12, 10:25 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    Cans are save to boil as long as they don't boil dry - as cned food is sterilised in the can by being steam heated in giant pressure cookers in the factory

Spent a happy summer as a student worker at Springs Cannery, Jam, Marmalade & Mincemeat Factory in Brigg in the 70's. The first three weeks were spent feeding large bitter seville oranges one by one into an evil tempered, primitive pulping machine for eight hours a dayare!
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge 110.00 per week/ 5720 a year

• bluebaloon21
    Ive made banoffee pie and never pieced the lid just don't let it boil dry and move the can around so it all gets cooked. Only thing to remember when doing this is to cover with a cloth when you open it as that could be when the hot caramel spurts out and this would burn badly
    • purplesequins
    • By purplesequins 12th Sep 12, 9:47 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    purplesequins
    You can also boil tins of condensed milk in the slow cooker; a similar principle to the oven technique and safer than on the hob because the water hardly evaporates away at all, so no checking required and can be done overnight. Put the tin(s) in slow cooker, completely cover them with cold water and cook on low for eight hours.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 12th Sep 12, 10:40 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    rosie383
    Let me be the first on this thread to say.......... make your own condensed milk!!!
    1 cup milk powder (I use skimmed milk powder and it works fine)
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup boiling water
    3 dsp butter (I just use whatever marg I happen to have in)

Put milk powder, sugar and marg in bowl.
    Add boiling water and use electric whisk for about 3 mins til thick and creamy.

If I want caramel for banoffee or caramel squares I just put it (like Gibson says) in a decent saucepan over a low heat and stir til it's the colour I want.
    Why on earth would I want to pay for an hours worth of gas, risk nasty burns etc, when I can do it in maybe 5-10 mins???

This way you can control the thickness of your caramel too as you can see it. If you want it runnier, don't cook it as long. If you want a nice chewy caramel square, then cook it until it is a darker brown. If you are going to do it in a tin, you don't have the same control.
    Last edited by rosie383; 12-09-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • village saver
    Please be careful if boiling the tins in a saucepan, I used to do this but a can exploded -it went EVERYWHERE, all over the walls & ceiling & was an absolute pain to clear up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

9,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin