Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 4th Sep 12, 12:21 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair launches booking app... but at £2.49 for the pleasure
    • 4th Sep 12, 12:21 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair launches booking app... but at £2.49 for the pleasure 4th Sep 12 at 12:21 PM
    "The budget airline launched the iPhone/iPad app today, yet its rivals don't charge for a similar service ..."

Page 1
  • pickpocketlocket
    • 4th Sep 12, 12:28 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 12:28 PM
    That's nice.

Is this really newsworthy, or another dig at Ryanair?
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 4th Sep 12, 12:29 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 4th Sep 12, 12:29 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 12:29 PM
    OMG! Ryanair in "not providing an optional service for free" shocker.
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • KTF
    • By KTF 4th Sep 12, 1:55 PM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    KTF
    • 4th Sep 12, 1:55 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 1:55 PM
    I think there would be more of an outcry if they offered something for free.

Clever move though. Might as well get some money for it to recover the development costs rather than give it away .
    • tell_it_how_it_is
    • By tell_it_how_it_is 4th Sep 12, 1:59 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    tell_it_how_it_is
    • 4th Sep 12, 1:59 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 1:59 PM
    They've never had a penny from me, and they never will.

I'd rather walk!!
    ďIn any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing at all.Ē - Roosevelt
  • mmillie
    • 4th Sep 12, 2:22 PM
    Next step?
    • 4th Sep 12, 2:22 PM
    My prediction is that their next step will be to block access to do bookings from the web browser on your iPhone and iPad - that way you are forced to use their app.

Martin
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 4th Sep 12, 3:15 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    • 4th Sep 12, 3:15 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 3:15 PM
    It might be worth buying if it allows you to research dates without having to keep inputting security codes. Anyone tried it? Does it dispense with security codes?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Sep 12, 3:48 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 4th Sep 12, 3:48 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 3:48 PM
    This is like being charged to enter a supermarket if you walk in from the car park entrance, but still free of charge if you walk in through the main entrance. What a ridiculous idea by Ryanair.
  • pickpocketlocket
    • 4th Sep 12, 4:28 PM
    • 4th Sep 12, 4:28 PM
    It might be worth buying if it allows you to research dates without having to keep inputting security codes. Anyone tried it? Does it dispense with security codes?
    Originally posted by SaveTheEuro
    Have you tried using the .ie site? They display prices over a wider range on the same screen.

This is like being charged to enter a supermarket if you walk in from the car park entrance, but still free of charge if you walk in through the main entrance. What a ridiculous idea by Ryanair.
    Originally posted by NFH
    Good analogy - and just shows how consumers have choice.
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 4th Sep 12, 4:38 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    Have you tried using the .ie site? They display prices over a wider range on the same screen.
    Originally posted by pickpocketlocket
    It is the same experience. Security codes are required. Same range of fares shown.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Sep 12, 4:41 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    My guess is that Ryanair are seeing how much revenue they get from this app (70% of the app price) and they'll probably make it free once nobody buys it. When the app eventually appears on AppShopper, it would be worth setting an alert for when it drops in price to zero. Lots of apps yo-yo in price, often being free for a day or a week, and this one might do the same.

The only value added functionality I can think of would be mobile boarding passes. This is something that other airlines offer for free, but it would save having to print boarding passes which has already become quite an old-fashioned practice. This is the only reason I can think that a regular Ryanair customer would consider paying for the app; most people don't book while on the move, but they often need check-in and boarding pass functionality on the move.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 4th Sep 12, 5:08 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    antenna
    All bookings from all sites,including the Ryanair site will soon only be accessible from a Murphydriod Ryanphone running the "Paddygobackwards" app
    Last edited by antenna; 04-09-2012 at 5:16 PM.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • shadowspy24
    • By shadowspy24 4th Sep 12, 5:15 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    shadowspy24
    Only a moron would pay for this app. Most decent apps are like 69p and the do something that you can't generally get for free. The apps that cost £1.49 or £1.99 are really good apps but to pay £2.49 for something that you can essentially do for free is ridiculous. I can understand people who are travelling might not have access to a laptop and might need to use it but they can download rival apps so there really doesn't seem to be any logic in doing this.
  • Bob the Saver
    They've never had a penny from me, and they never will.

I'd rather walk!!
    Originally posted by tell_it_how_it_is
    Fancy popping over from Liverpool to Cork tomorrow then?
    Last edited by Bob the Saver; 04-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
  • rodman
    Im sure it is gonna be free soon, who is gonna pay for ir?
    • clairemichele
    • By clairemichele 5th Sep 12, 8:22 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    clairemichele
    I think someone needs to have a dig at Ryanair. They don't seem to me to be a budget airline. I've just booked flights with them (not by choice) for the first time ever, and the price has soared because of all the add-ons. For the price we've paid we could have used a good airline.
  • youngdannyboy
    A con, a joke, pretty much like the Airline
    A con, a joke, pretty much like the Airline. Donít buy the app, just use m.ryanair.com, its exactly the same! All they have done is wrap the mobile site into an iOS app and charge you £2.49 for the privilege. Utter joke. I canít understand how Apple have allowed this!? Another money making scheme from Ryanair!

STAY AWAY FROM RYANAIR
    • NFH
    • By NFH 5th Sep 12, 9:03 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    The app has now appeared on AppShopper, so you can set an e-mail or iOS push alert for when the price drops, possibly to zero temporarily or permanently.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 5th Sep 12, 9:17 AM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    antenna
    I think someone needs to have a dig at Ryanair. They don't seem to me to be a budget airline. I've just booked flights with them (not by choice) for the first time ever, and the price has soared because of all the add-ons. For the price we've paid we could have used a good airline.
    Originally posted by clairemichele
    I doubt that very much.
    Why not by choice?............are they the only airline that fly to your destination ?...........do you have to "match" flights with some one else?........nobody HAS to fly with ryanair do they?
    unless they want to be one of the 12 million that do every year!
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 5th Sep 12, 3:31 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    Donít buy the app, just use m.ryanair.com, its exactly the same!
    Originally posted by youngdannyboy
    Have tried this. They're asking for a username and password. Any idea how you register for this please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

935Posts Today

6,424Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin