Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 22nd Aug 12, 9:13 AM
    • 6,298Posts
    • 30,236Thanks
    pineapple
    Breadmakers - are they worth it?
    • 22nd Aug 12, 9:13 AM
    Breadmakers - are they worth it? 22nd Aug 12 at 9:13 AM
    I generally make my own bread.
    Mixing and kneading is not a big deal imo - and time is not a problem for me.
    My only problem comes with leaving it to rise in a warm enough place.

Do they produce bread as good as the hand made version?
    Can you make a couple of medium loaves in one go?
    Do they ultimately save money - as opposed to using an electric oven?

They aren't cheap and I don't want to make an expensive mistake

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 28-08-2012 at 6:10 PM.
Page 1
  • suburbanwifey
    • 22nd Aug 12, 9:57 AM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 9:57 AM
    I have a top of the range Panasonic bread maker and it was worth every penny. You get what you pay for with bread makers, my other one was a cheaper model and even that, the bread was better than shop bought, but my Panasonic, wow! I love it. 11 different types of bread, nut dispenser etc. it does it all.

If you will use it, an investment of a bread maker will save you money in the long run. I regularly buy Polenta in 5kg bulk bags from Amazon and use it to make corn bread (an American thing, but I love it) and also buy flour in bulk sacks from a mill, I pay pennies for my loaves by doing this and my bread is awesome! Couldn't make it as nice myself and I am a good bread maker. No mess, no fuss, chuck it all in and my bread is there when I want it.

Go for it. If the crisis in this country deepens further, buy your flour in sacks and save money and have bread when maybe others don't have, the supermarkets may not have stock one day and wheat prices are going up due to droughts in USA and over the world etc.

No, it won't make 2 loaves at the same time, but as soon as one is done, you can make another. Why make 2 at the same time when it will make it for you when you want anyway. Saves money in a regular oven yes, but the power you use with a BM is less than an oven (my oven is electric not gas)
    Last edited by suburbanwifey; 22-08-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: ETA: Forgot to answer one of your questions
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 22nd Aug 12, 10:57 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 23,653 Thanks
    nuatha
    • 22nd Aug 12, 10:57 AM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 10:57 AM
    I generally make my own bread.
    Mixing and kneading is not a big deal imo - and time is not a problem for me.
    My only problem comes with leaving it to rise in a warm enough place.

Do they produce bread as good as the hand made version?
    Can you make a couple of medium loaves in one go?
    Do they ultimately save money - as opposed to using an electric oven?

They aren't cheap and I don't want to make an expensive mistake
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Breadmakers generally make an ok loaf of bread, I prefer my handmade bread.
    I haven't seen a bread maker that produces two loaves, or one that doesn't have a paddle hole in the bottom.

If your problem is proofing, then draught free is more important than warm (dough will proof in a fridge, it just takes longer). If you have one try putting the bowl of dough in a cool box.

HTH
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 22nd Aug 12, 11:30 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    • 22nd Aug 12, 11:30 AM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 11:30 AM
    annoyed because I posted a long reply and then lost it!

I have the same panasonic as suburbanwifey and have used it at least 2-3 times a week for 6 years, so it has earned its keep.

Pros:
    - does all the kneading and proving for you
    - set it going on a timer overnight and have fresh bread for breakfast
    - can do "dough" setting for foccacia, pizza, bread I want to cook in the oven

Cons:
    - the paddle hole in the bottom of the bread
    - takes a lot of room on a work surface

Think it's probably cheaper than a oven specially heated for the bread, but not sure. If you can cook something else in the oven at the same time/just before/just after there's probably very little difference.

Given the above and what you already do, there probably isn't a lot of benefit to you from a breadmaker.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere about proving a loaf overnight in a fridge - a very slow proving. That may be the bit you need to make things work for you?

GQ
    Last edited by GreenQueen; 22-08-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: missed a bit!
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 22nd Aug 12, 4:57 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 22nd Aug 12, 4:57 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 4:57 PM
    I have a second hand Kenwood BM and have perfected a recipe to give me an excellent loaf every time.It has been a very worthwhile buy for me.

I never buy bread now.I get get 5 loaves made from 2kgs of flour.I haven't costed it,but would rather make my own-at least I control what goes in it.Shop bought bread goes hard faster here (Switzerland) than in the UK.

I thought that I would miss making bread but I don't really.I do a lot of baking.

Maybe look around and see if you can get one second hand or through Freecycle.
    NSD October 19/22
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
  • valk_scot
    • 22nd Aug 12, 5:08 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 5:08 PM
    I have worn out a few breadmakers over the years. the best bread I made though was using the dough hook on my old Kenwood Chef, proving it in the airing cupboard or in the top oven when the lower one was on and then baking it in the oven. I could make the dough the night before too, and proove it overnight in even a very cool kitchen.

I only stopped making it by hand because my back can't cope with kneading bread by hand any more, even for a short while. Bread machine bread isn't a patch on real hand made bread, sorry, though it's still better than most bread made in the shops. And of course you can make several loaves at once by hand and freeze them.

So if all that's causing you problems is lack of a proving area, think creatively. Airing cupboard, on top of the boiler/immersion heater, inside a box standing over the underfloor central heating pipes with a duvet on top, on a high self in a heated lounge.
    Val.
  • Ctub
    • 22nd Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    We have had a bread maker for years and used it a lot, however over the past few months I have reverted to hand made bread, which I much prefer and actively enjoy making. OH still tends to use the bread maker and it is easy to bung the stuff in at night and awake to the smell of beautiful fresh bread.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 23rd Aug 12, 7:27 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 23rd Aug 12, 7:27 AM
    • 23rd Aug 12, 7:27 AM
    You really don't need an unusually warm place to rise bread. I just put mine in a bowl covered with a damp cloth on the counter. How long it takes does depend on the room temperature, but even on very cold days it will work eventually.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 23rd Aug 12, 8:41 AM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 30,236 Thanks
    pineapple
    • 23rd Aug 12, 8:41 AM
    • 23rd Aug 12, 8:41 AM
    Thanks folks - I've learnt a few things!
    Actually I hadn't even thought of the space it would take up. I think with time not being an issue I'll stick to hand made. Plus I can do double the amount and put it in the freezer anyway.
    • Swan
    • By Swan 23rd Aug 12, 9:01 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    Thanks folks - I've learnt a few things!
    Actually I hadn't even thought of the space it would take up. I think with time not being an issue I'll stick to hand made. Plus I can do double the amount and put it in the freezer anyway.
    by pineapple
    hi pineapple

since you've decided not to get a breadmaker, you might be interested in THIS thread with some tips about cold-raised dough, & about raising dough in cold places
    Last edited by Swan; 23-08-2012 at 9:18 AM.
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 23rd Aug 12, 9:05 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    whitesatin
    I have the Panasonic one that releases the raisins, nuts etc. should you want to add them. I haven't used that facility yet but I am very pleased with the bread it makes, no failures yet. I give them to my son and daughter too and they love them. It does take up a bit of space but, luckily, I have a reasonable sized kitchen and a utility room so there is enough space not to worry about it.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 23rd Aug 12, 12:38 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I have a breadmaker. I bought it from Lidl's about 6 or 7 years ago for about 25.

I see them as a bit like slow cookers. For me you can quickly dump the ingredients in both of them and leave them for several hours and hey presto when you come back you have a meal/bread.

I do not keep mine in the kitchen (either breadmake or slow cooker). I keep them out in the outhouse so that I do not get cooking smells in the house. I work from home and that is important to me.

For me it is all about convenience. Also I think they save quite a bit on electricty compared to electric cooker. If you have a gas cooker the saving might not be very much I would imagine.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 23-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 23rd Aug 12, 1:20 PM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 30,236 Thanks
    pineapple
    hi pineapple

since you've decided not to get a breadmaker, you might be interested in THIS thread with some tips about cold-raised dough, & about raising dough in cold places
    Originally posted by Swan
    Thanks for this, I never realised it was possible to prove dough in a cool environment though over a longer time. I wouldn't be surprised if it tasted better too.
    As for commercial bakeries - don't they use a sort of steam proving? Possibly explains why it doesn't taste like 'real' bread.
    On the subject of taste, has anyone used Einkorn flour? You can get it online. It's a traditional wheat supposed to be healthier and better for those with gluten insensitivity.
    Could just be the latest expensive fad though!
    http://www.einkorn.com/types-of-wheat-nutritional-content-health-benefits-comparison/
    • Sui_Generis
    • By Sui_Generis 24th Aug 12, 12:15 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Sui_Generis
    annoyed because I posted a long reply and then lost it!

I have the same panasonic as suburbanwifey and have used it at least 2-3 times a week for 6 years, so it has earned its keep.
    Originally posted by GreenQueen
    Just bought the Panny 2500 and as you have such long experience can you tell me if this is correct?

I've unpacked and found the paddle flops about on the centre spigot - there's about 30deg of play in it. My previous BM had a tightly fitting paddle is the Panasonic defective? I can't see this lasting long, surely it should fit tightly on the spigot?

Thanks
  • ginger tony
    I have a panasonic bread maker and its fantastic but if im honest mines doesnt get used as much as it should. When l make homemade soup its a must to make fresh bread.I also make homemade pizza dough with kids and they love it. It also bakes a mean gingerbread or fruitcake.
    My machine gets used more in the winter and can be a godsend when the weather is bad and you or the shops run out of bread. The year of the really bad weather I kept not only my family but sisters and mum stocked up with bread. Its an investment and well worth the money. I think l might make a loaf tonight.
  • tracey2412
    Breadmaker - as essential as the toaster
    Bought a Panasonic stainless steel one just before Christmas 2011 & LOVE it! Sooo easy - chuck it in, switch it on. Only two of us during the week so only do about 2 loaves in the week, then more at weekends when son home (he eats loads!) - for no waste, you get used to using it as bread on the first 2 days, then toast for a couple of days, then the ends I freeze & when I have a couple bags full I make dried breadcrumbs in bulk which keep in airtight jars for a year or more to add to gratins, homemade burgers etc. Havent got the hang of rolls yet, but I will! And usually keep a white & a brown in freezer for emergencies (when I forget!)

But if I had a 'family' & had to make lunchboxes every day, I would think it would be a godsend! Like someone said, not just about the cost (but I make a large loaf for about 50p) but you know what you're eating! and can make different sorts of bread too - experiment to add seeds & grain, kids don't even notice!

No flour mills near here, all the ones I see online by the time you add postage arent any cheaper than Allinsons strong white bread flour 3kg bag 2 in tesco - has been for months. (Other brands & other supermarkets are available!) That works well for me. I paid a lot for my Panasonic (over 100) but its already paid me back in less than 6 months.

With the poor harvests this year, all food stuff is going to go up in price (not just wheat based like flour and bread but other stuff because the harvest of the stuff they feed animals with has also been poor, so meat will also be expensive) so I have begun stockpiling flour - reminds me of my gran in the war with sugar!! I have about 4-5 months stock at the moment but when I see the dates extend past Feb/March 2013 I'll buy more.

I did try making by hand, but I just cdnt get the hang of it. I would love to - I envisage myself as a domestic goddess!!! - one day when I have time & less stress I'll try again, but this works for me right now.

I recommend anyone to try it, you won't know til you do. But admiration to those who hand-bake - you have my greatest respect!!
    PS - anyone seen Real Bread Campaign - worthy cause.
  • raeveth
    Not worth it, unless for time saving
    I've had a bread maker for years - an unbranded one from Woolworths. It worked really well and saved a lot of time; when I was in student digs, I could wake up to fresh bread. My husband had a Morphy Richards which had a couple of parts replaced on it a few times under warranty. It worked just the same as the unbranded one, even though it was a much more expensive, branded one.

With the cost of ingredients (and utilities!) having gone up so much, we found it isn't actually cost effective anymore, so we don't use it. In fact, we hardly eat bread anymore.

One of the important things about it though, is that it is very quick and if you like bread baked at home, it is fast. But the downside is that the gluten doesn't break down as much. If you leave your bread to rise slowly in a draught-free place, it is tastier and easier to digest, especially if you're digestion's not great with grains that contain gluten. My Dad makes bread sometimes that has two slow-rise periods and it is fantastic and doesn't make me feel bad in the tummy afterwards.
  • Pheiffer
    We Have always had a bread maker and it has always been very useful. Although there isn't anything quite as good as making bread by hand in my opinion. The biggest benefit is convenience.

Good Luck.

PheifferPropertyServices
  • WierdBeard
    Breadmakers
    I have an early model Panasonic that has been used about twice a week for twelve years and only once went a bit wonky. Well worth it IMHO.

The problem with the paddle hole can be fixed by removing the paddle at about 25 mins from the start of baking. Just take the pan out, tip it away from where the longest part of the blade is and hook a fingernail under the paddle blade, lift and bobs your aunty. At the end of baking all you are left with is a small hole and not the usual hardened indentation. The bread comes out just as easily, might need a slight shake up and down though.
    • chipp
    • By chipp 29th Aug 12, 10:33 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    chipp
    I stopped buying shop bread a year or two back as it seemed to have more additives than proper food. I couldn't make bread to save my life when I was at school but someone recommended trying the "Grant Loaf" (google it, I found a Delia recipe) and that works for me as there is minimal kneading, in fact none in the traditional sense. It seems to work for any bread flour - I like Sains TTD wholegrain seeded - you just adjust the water. I do most of the proving in the warmed oven and just take it out (well swaddled) for the last 10 or 15 mins when I switch the oven back on. I used to do half quantities and use an elderly 1lb load tin but after a while treated myself to a new silicone one, supposedly a 2lb one but when measured I found the old (1lb) one held 1 3/4 pints and the new (2lb) one 2 pints so you might need to adjust the quantities to suit your loaf tin. I think the crust was nicer using the old tin but regardless of how much I greased it, the bread always used to stick.

The cost of elec probably offsets the relative inexpense of the ingredients but I think it still works out cheaper than shop-bought, it tastes better and I know what's in it.

I too thought about a breadmaker but not sure if they will make bread without fat and imagine there might be a lot of trial and error to start with as all flours behave differently. If someone can enlighten me here I could be a convert as there would be much less washing up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,219Posts Today

8,149Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin