Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gardenia101
    • By gardenia101 12th Aug 12, 12:41 PM
    • 578Posts
    • 2,802Thanks
    gardenia101
    Keeping Autographs on T shirt - How Do I wash It?
    • 12th Aug 12, 12:41 PM
    Keeping Autographs on T shirt - How Do I wash It? 12th Aug 12 at 12:41 PM
    My DS has a white cotton T shirt which was autographed by members of a BMX team & he wants to keep those autographs - BUT beeing a 9 year old the T needs washing after its first wear as hes such a muck magnet.

What can I do to keep the autographs & make sure they are not washed out? I think they are done in biro. I usually wash everything at 30 unless it is really honking, & will wash it inside out but was wondering if it is worth going over the autographs with a permenant marker & if so, which one?

I've never tried to keep biro stains on clothes before, & have rarely used stain treatments as my machine just seems to get everything out without much effort!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 21-08-2012 at 1:29 PM.
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
Page 1
    • madvixen
    • By madvixen 12th Aug 12, 1:01 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    madvixen
    • 12th Aug 12, 1:01 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 1:01 PM
    I'm not sure about the best way to wash it but is there any way you could stitch over the autographs? That way it wouldn't matter if the biro came off as the stitched autograph would remain.
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 12th Aug 12, 1:25 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    • 12th Aug 12, 1:25 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 1:25 PM
    I would do a very gentle hand wash, avoiding scrubbing the biro etc.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • JayJay14
    • 12th Aug 12, 2:02 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 2:02 PM
    You could go to somewhere like hobbycraft and get one of those fabric pens to go over the sigs with. Even with careful washing my kids end of school polos ended up with blurred patches rather than signatures.
    • PixieDust
    • By PixieDust 12th Aug 12, 4:26 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    PixieDust
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:26 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:26 PM
    It never occurred to me that people actually wore these signed shirts....I thought that once they were signed they were put away as a keepsake......?
    • coldcazzie
    • By coldcazzie 12th Aug 12, 4:30 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 3,439 Thanks
    coldcazzie
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:30 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:30 PM
    It never occurred to me that people actually wore these signed shirts....I thought that once they were signed they were put away as a keepsake......?
    Originally posted by PixieDust
    ^^^ this ^^^
    Moving House Fund: 1775.87/1500 by March 2015 - 118.39%
    Emergency Fund: 2120.79/3000 by April 2016 - 70.69%
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 12th Aug 12, 4:33 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:33 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:33 PM
    my daughter wore a t/shirt and got some band members to sign it when she met them in the bar. I have washed it but used non-bio & although slightly fainter, you can still the autographs.

She only wore it to their gigs anyway but now she doesn't even like them anymore
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 12th Aug 12, 4:36 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    cutestkids
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:36 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:36 PM
    If he really wants to wear the t-shirt again I would be inclined to stitch over the autographs so it can be washed, otherwise I would suggest top him that he use it as a keepsake (you don't need to wash it) my son has a similar t-shirt that he wanted to keep but it had some mud on, we just brushed off the mud and it is now pinned up on his bedroom wall as a memento of the day.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
    • scaredy_cat
    • By scaredy_cat 12th Aug 12, 4:38 PM
    • 7,731 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    scaredy_cat
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:38 PM
    • 12th Aug 12, 4:38 PM
    just brush off the worst of the dirt and then frame the t-shirt.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!!

DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• siaoeh
    • By siaoeh 15th Aug 12, 11:58 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    siaoeh
    how about steam cleaning it if you have a steam cleaner? might not take stains off but at least it will be clean.. anyway if he is going to get it dirty and stained again then it doesn't matter right?
    • reluctantworkingmum
    • By reluctantworkingmum 22nd Aug 12, 11:54 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    reluctantworkingmum
    write over them in fine tip permanent marker (sharpie)
    • gardenia101
    • By gardenia101 22nd Aug 12, 7:41 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 2,802 Thanks
    gardenia101
    Wow - I made the email!
    I would do a very gentle hand wash, avoiding scrubbing the biro etc.
    Originally posted by Bitsy Beans
    It will need far more than a gentle handwash - my DS is an enthusiatic eater!

I've hardly been able to get him out of it as he loves it so much.

I think I'll go for the stitching option if the Sharpie pen fails - although that means it may disappear into the mending basket & he may well outgrow it before I get around to doing it.

Thanks everyone! How exciting to make the weekly email
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 23rd Aug 12, 3:07 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    Yeah, don't wash it - frame it. If you like, buy the kid a replacement and forge (or trace over) the signature yourself in indelible felt tip.
  • monathevampire
    I'd use reverse batik (wax). All you do is drip white wax over the autographs, let it set, drip it over the inside over the back of the autograph, once dry give a wash, then frame it ~ signed clothing do become a keepsake
    Wench
  • jackieglasgow
    Sharpie wont wash out, so I'd write over with that, and keep washing in non bio on 30degree washes if he insists on keeping wearing it.
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,630Posts Today

4,820Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin